We Are Golden...Young and wanting some! Please take a listen to my story ;)

Sammy, everyone's replies are as telling as your own post....that is that Mika attracts very creative fans. I've lost count of the times I read posts about people on here being inspired to do things they never thought possible.

I'll tell you my story at the end of my post but I find that as soon as I utter the words "Mika inspired me to change my life" I know I sound like a crazy!! However, it is the truth and it dumfounds me every day!

The point is...he has done something to us all and if his music has such a profound effect on you that it pushes you even harder and further then it is amazing.

I, like everyone else, have watched your videos with my mouth open in awe...I want to do what you do and feel so far behind that I have to fight the urge to not bother. However, once inspired by Mika...we can never go back so as unlikely as it is that I'll ever achieve anything that I desire...I now have to strive for it each and every day.

Keep going........no matter what. xx

So, you're young and you want some??? Hmmmm....try being old and just waking up to the fact that you, too want some!!!

The cruelest thing is that Mika wasn't around to inspire me when I was young!!

I always sang in secret in my bedroom when I was really young (10 onwards) and continued to do so throughout my life but was always too shy/nervous to let anyone hear me. I had a pretty rubbish home life and no support with anything in my life so I drifted through it all just existing each day. I got a boring job and bought my own house as I thought it was the only way to feel any sort of security in the world. Along the way I had a nervous breakdown, lots of therapy, had ME for nearly 2 years then discovered that I had a massive abdominal tumour a few years ago and two years ago on Tuesday I had risky surgery to remove it. If I hadn't had Mika in my life by that time I seriously don't think I would have surved the surgery....he made me feel like I could conquer it!

So, with all of the bad stuff behind me and Mika's inspiration I started my long recovery during the summer of 2007. During that time I woke up one day and literally wrote a song! I'd never even written so much as a poem before but I just felt compelled to write...and I haven't stopped! I started having piano lessons in June last year and I'm sitting my Grade 3 exam on 31 July. I'm told that usually it take a year to get ready for each Grade....and I got a merit in my Grade 1 less than 4 months ago!! My teacher can't believe it and although I'm really hard on myself and still feel like I'll never have the talent of folk like you I can see that my acheivement is massive. Coincidence?? After a lifetime of under acheiving and apathy...what's changed??? Yup, Mika!!

I've got my sights set on getting to grade 8 which my teacher tells me I have the ability to do (even though it seems like an impossible goal) and I've been offered a place at my local university to do a degree in music performance if I get the Grade 8.....something I can't actually imagine at my age but it's like a shiny golden carrot....urging me on!! LOL.

Like some one else mentioned...if I say to people around me that I'm considering going to uni at my age but not to do something conservative and sensible but to learn how to be a musician they all seem bemused and want to know what I think I'm actually going to do with it!!

So there you go.....I'm not giving up now that I'm old and I want some!!!!

Keep us all informed of how you're doing and we'll all keep watching and enjoying your music.

Liz xxx

LIz, what a journey!! I hope you do well in piano.. :thumb_yello: Your singing's no secret no more... I came across your youtube the other day :wink2:

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sammy . . . thank you SO much for sharing your story!

I have to say, you REALLY made me take a step back and open up my own eyes! You somehow lit a fire under my arse. I realize that we ALL have *dreams - or aspirations* and CAN NOT under ANY circumstance admit defeat and 'give up' . . . as long as we continue to try, we can never fail. And no matter how long and hard the road is going to be, it is all about the journey not the destination.

I am still <relatively> young :fisch:

and I am going to take charge of WHAT I WANT - and no matter what MAKE IT HAPPEN! No more excuses, no more waiting, no more relying on others, IT IS ALL UP TO ME!

Thank you Sammy. Sometimes all it takes is hearing someone else SAY what you already know to make you WAKE UP and DO SOMETHING!

:wub2:

Sammy . . . thank you SO much for sharing your story!

I have to say, you REALLY made me take a step back and open up my own eyes! You somehow lit a fire under my arse. I realize that we ALL have *dreams - or aspirations* and CAN NOT under ANY circumstance admit defeat and 'give up' . . . as long as we continue to try, we can never fail. And no matter how long and hard the road is going to be, it is all about the journey not the destination.

I am still <relatively> young :fisch:

and I am going to take charge of WHAT I WANT - and no matter what MAKE IT HAPPEN! No more excuses, no more waiting, no more relying on others, IT IS ALL UP TO ME!

Thank you Sammy. Sometimes all it takes is hearing someone else SAY what you already know to make you WAKE UP and DO SOMETHING!

:wub2:

aww holly...thats so sweet. Good luck with all you do, and thanks again ;)

:wub2::thumb_yello::wink2:

Sammy, just want to let you know you are fantastic.

I've been following your stuff through April and I want you to know that your songs have made me smile, cry, and sing.

It makes me happy seeing your vids because, personally, I am nearly sixteen and don't have much to show for it. My family have basically let me get away with everything, however, never taken my interests seriously. I now have a hard time going it alone. No one has ever taken an interest in my singing, and my voice comes out so strangely on my camera i've cried to sleep about it because I know i don't sound like that. I have no opportunity at school for anything music related. I don't know where my life is headed or if I can make my countless daydreams reality. At my school about everyone knows 2 or more languages and can play some instrument. I get really jealous with that pressure that I've never had either opportunity and I try to swallow it down and forget it. I'm trying, but its hard to focus alone. I don't know how it will go. Alot of its my fault.

But when I watch your songs its magic. And I'm so happy for you. Please, please, NEVER stop. Hard work pays off. You're getting alot of experience, and it sounds like you're not afraid to sing in public, that's a big plus. And you already have a fanbase. ( ; I would help you in any possible if you ever need it and I could help.

Love,

Lucy♥

Dear Lucy,

Im so glad you enjoy my music. And Im SOOOO glad that you have a passion for music aswell. When it sometimes feels like we are outsiders, and that no one else supports or understands what we want, remember that all that matters is that you are safe, happy, and healthy. Whatever makes you that way....for me, and it looks like...for you.......is music!

So keep doing what you love, and dont ever let what anyone thinks get you down.

kepp it up, and good luck with all you do!

thank you again for your kind words ;)

peace,love,music...

-sAmMy ;D

Sammy! I've seen you a couple of times here, but I didn't know you were a musician (I sould have guessed for your Username, haha :naughty:)

I've read your post and I really understand what you mean. I'm not a passionate of something, or at least I can't think of things I'd love to do as my vocation. But I know that some traits of what I am are the important things to me, so one of my aims is trying to be myself and showing people I care about who I am.

I wish you good luck Sammy :D You'll get better and better if you focus in being a good musician as well as a better person. And be sure we will support you, industry may be cruel 'cause that's the way it usually is (just look at Mika's story!), so it's important to have people around you encouraging you to be strong

:huglove: be happy! and let your enthusiasm run away with you :wink2:

edit: OMG your music is fantastic!! It reminds me of Katy Perry, who is indeed very good composing music to me :thumb_yello:

Edited by Romis

Liz, What an amazing story. That truly is inspiring, and thanks again for the kind words :wub2:

sammy-1.jpg

I thought you might like this!!! :wink2:

I just spent an hour watching your new stuff.....and now I have to go and practice for my exam!!

I want to be a good as you so I'm going to put some extra effort in today! Thanks Sammy! xxx

sammy-1.jpg

I thought you might like this!!! :wink2:

I just spent an hour watching your new stuff.....and now I have to go and practice for my exam!!

I want to be a good as you so I'm going to put some extra effort in today! Thanks Sammy! xxx

Omg....you have no idea how much that is appreciated ;)

Thanks so much, really. All of you are such great supporters, and I appreciate all that you do.

Thank you again, Im gunna start to teart up. You have no idea how much I appreciate this.

Thank you again ;):wub2:

peace,love,music...

-sAmMy ;D

Sammy, I have no doubt in my mind that your dreams will come true (as corny as that sounds). You have an enormous drive and passion to do well, therefore I think you will. Don't worry if nothing happens now. You're still young and you should enjoy your last few years of your childhood, then maybe when you're 18 you can really start trying to break your way into the industry. Just take it slow and keep perserveering. :wink2:

Omg....you have no idea how much that is appreciated ;)

Thanks so much, really. All of you are such great supporters, and I appreciate all that you do.

Thank you again, Im gunna start to teart up. You have no idea how much I appreciate this.

Thank you again ;):wub2:

peace,love,music...

-sAmMy ;D

It's getting some good feedback too!

Glad to be of service Miss! :thumb_yello:

Hey everybody. Got a second to listen to my story?

As I said on the We Are Golden thread, I have a certain connection to this song, and I know that I will have an even strong one once I hear the song in it's entirity. Here we go..... :blush-anim-cl:

So...... I remember the first time I saw the new vlog about the new music. I remember seeing the gospel choir singing We Are Golden, and crying.

They sounded so beautiful, and the lyrics were so meaningful to me.

"No giving up when youre young and you want some"

I know alot of you have been so kind as to check out my website and my youtube, and to comment, subscribe and give me feedback. All of it is greatly appreciated.

Still, there comes a point where you have a dream SO big, a passion so feirce, and self motivation so strong, that you find the need to sit down and tell yourself: This is what I want. This is whats right for me. I will so anything to reach it.

It is quite difficult when you have such a dream and no idea where to go, or no outlets to take it to.

For the past year or so, I have been writing my own music and covering music with the voice I taught myself to use and the piano I taught myself to play. Im just not sure where to turn anymore. I have been trying to advertise myself by twittering my website, sharing the word in public places by word of mouth, handing out my youtube links to family, friends, and towns members, going to live bands in my area and asking to sing with them before they pack up, performing at my local school and childrens get-togethers, and any other way to get my name exposed.

There has come points where I am not fully supported by those around me or even myself, and what I am doing is looked at as Not In The Norm. I have been criticize for being a fan of Mika, Queen, The Beatles....Other bands that not many people my age are into. Sometimes it gets hard to say I Dont Care and to keep going, especially when you have the feeling that no one knows your name. All I need are outlets, ways to get myself known. I have tried through twitter, email and other ways to get my story to Mika, and I never seem to be able to.

I once had a dream one night after I spent the entire day writing, making demos, and being quite stressed out. I fell asleep late, and kept hearing the lyrics to We Are Golden in my head. I heard the ones that we know so far, and the rest only they were very cloudy. However, I just KNEW that they were important to mys situation, and would affect me in a positive way.

All I want to do is make music. For the rest of my life, I want to wake up and be able to say that I did this for myself, I got here as the result of my own hard work, and I get to do this for the rest of my life.

A few months ago I was in a state where I didnt think that I was goign to get anywhere with my music. The new vlogs came out, and I heard Mika telling me this.

"No giving up when youre young and you want some"

I thought, he did it. He was young and he got to where he is today. So I shouldnt give up either.

SOOOOOOO I feel that when We Are Golden comes out, it will really mean alot to me and other young people who have a passion for something or a dream. I know for a fact that the first time I hear this song I will cry. I cried when I heard the one line in the vlog, and I know FOR A FACT that this song is going to change the way I look at my life quite a bit.

I know just from hearing this line that I need to put behind me all the....

Unanswered phone calls from agents

The fallen-through plans with could-be producers

The incidents that prevented me from getting to that small, garage studio owned by a friend

The negative comments on youtube

The people who dont think music is a good path to take in life

My peers who dont understand what it means to have a passion

And everything else.

So please, when you hear this song, keep in mind all the young people in the world with a strong dream and no idea where to go next.

And to all of you like me, whether it be with music, fashion, art, medicine, ANYTHING.....remember that is we want it enough and work hard enough, we will get there. REMEMBER that there should be no giving up when youre young and you want some. ;)

thanks for listening everybody, it is greatly appreciated. I just really felt like I needed somewhere to share my story, and Id love to hear what you have to say ;)

peace,love,music...

-sAmMy ;D

http://www.youtube.com/willsing4fun

http://www.unsigned.com/sammyraemusic

SAMMY!!OH MY GOD,IT'S YOU!!

I swear I'm crying while I'm writing this to you...

I have the same dream you have...and finally I found you now...it's you...

I watched your vids on youtube...sorry I couldn't post comment but my dad did such a mess with the password that just he knows (perhaps he doesn't...haha...) well I'll make him change that password...grrr...

it's you,I've finally found you...listening (and I say listening because I'm blind) to your video was fantastic...you sing very very well...think that Any other world is my favourite Mika song,and I really LOVED the way you sang it...I'd never say you learnt playing the piano and singing yourself.

I want to tell you one thing...BE STRONG...BE STRONG AND YOUR DREAMS WILL COME TRUE...there's one thing Mika said...it's BELIEVE IN YOURSELF AND FIGHT...and now this is what I want to tell you...because I really understand you.

I can't stop crying,I swear.When I read "Sammy" at the end of the story I said "oh my God..."this name wasn't new to me...then I read the link to your youtube channel...well at that moment I started crying and I can't stop...perhaps it's because I always wanted to write some comments to you,perhaps it's because part of your story is so similar to mine...I don't know.I just can't stop crying,and...well,now that I know you're here,I want to know you better.Finally I found someone REALLY able to understand my dreams.:wub2:

• 3 weeks later...
Hey everyone!

How goes the video making, eh?? Hehe

I can imagine plenty of you off this thread will be making a video!

SAMMY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Your video is life. I love it. Just wanted you to know :wub2:. I hope I can start mine tomorrow!

xoxoxo

Edited by 77red

I always sang in secret in my bedroom when I was really young (10 onwards) and continued to do so throughout my life but was always too shy/nervous to let anyone hear me.

YES! I'm not the only one :fangurl:

i jump on the quad (or on a horse :naughty: ) and ride down to the back of the farm, and i sing to the cows :naughty:

Damm, Sammy your songs a re catch (ive been buzzing Benjamin for like 10 minutes now)

Sammy- you have great ahead of you, but we live in world where people dont take us younger people seriosly, and that sucks...

I know one day Ill see your name in big lights, and tickets will be sold out

And no giving up when youre young and you want some! :huglove:

(your stuff is excellent- if I didnt already mention that)

YOU'RE "will sing for fun"?!?! I swear you've commented on one of my videos? Lol?!

EDIT: I've just looked and I don't think you have, but I've definitely seen that username before!

Edited by CazGirl

Hey everyone. I know its just me ranting, but I thought Id tell you all about my week here.

This upcoming Wednesday, Thursday, and Sunday, I have booked studio time in a studio owned by my music teacher. I will be driving half way across the state (or rather my parents will.) to his studio, and recording my album! It will consist of nine original tracks, and Im hoping to do a slow alternate version of my song Happy July as an extra track, making the total ten songs. I am excessively excited to be recording on a full sized grand piano. I have only even touched two grand pianos in my life....... and played one once, when this same teacher gave me a pass to sneak into the ballroom-esque area of my school and play it. It was the most incredible feeling, and now I get to play on one for three days! AH!

The final product will be a clean collection of the songs, just me and the piano, with an insert, the photos for which I am having taken later in the month. These will be available for distribution and sending to different people for exposure.

ALSO this week im recording for a family friend at his full scale studio, appearing with the national anthem for his album of which will be distributed in Germany.

Theres my week.....running to two different studios, and having my music teacher play greg wells. XD

I havent gotten to sleep before 1:30 in a good two weeks, falling asleep on my piano twice. XD

So yeah...i just NEEDED to tell someone that all this madness was coming up this week.

Im so excited, I cant even explain it! I mean....ahh!

We Are Golden comes out, and its like this peice of good luck that gets all this started for me. My own album! OMG! AHH!!!!!

Look out mikasounds, its my turn to twitter at an obnoxious rate. Not that anyone will care, but it will make me feel important.

AHH!!!! sorry i wrote so much. Just needed to pour that out there.

Hey everyone. I know its just me ranting, but I thought Id tell you all about my week here.

This upcoming Wednesday, Thursday, and Sunday, I have booked studio time in a studio owned by my music teacher. I will be driving half way across the state (or rather my parents will.) to his studio, and recording my album! It will consist of nine original tracks, and Im hoping to do a slow alternate version of my song Happy July as an extra track, making the total ten songs. I am excessively excited to be recording on a full sized grand piano. I have only even touched two grand pianos in my life....... and played one once, when this same teacher gave me a pass to sneak into the ballroom-esque area of my school and play it. It was the most incredible feeling, and now I get to play on one for three days! AH!

The final product will be a clean collection of the songs, just me and the piano, with an insert, the photos for which I am having taken later in the month. These will be available for distribution and sending to different people for exposure.

ALSO this week im recording for a family friend at his full scale studio, appearing with the national anthem for his album of which will be distributed in Germany.

Theres my week.....running to two different studios, and having my music teacher play greg wells. XD

I havent gotten to sleep before 1:30 in a good two weeks, falling asleep on my piano twice. XD

So yeah...i just NEEDED to tell someone that all this madness was coming up this week.

Im so excited, I cant even explain it! I mean....ahh!

We Are Golden comes out, and its like this peice of good luck that gets all this started for me. My own album! OMG! AHH!!!!!

Look out mikasounds, its my turn to twitter at an obnoxious rate. Not that anyone will care, but it will make me feel important.

AHH!!!! sorry i wrote so much. Just needed to pour that out there.

what do we have to do to get one of those?!

No clue yet. All of this will be discussed the day of, that is Wednesday. Will post here. Im not sure if im making enough for distribution or just enough to send to different labels for exposure.

Either way- you are very lucky, and I wish you all the luck in the world- and dont you dare forget us little people when you become a big star (and invite us mfcrs to your first gig :naughty: )