Q Magazine - October - The Boy Who Knew Too Much Review

FREDDIESDOUBLE

this was hard to read,I had some difficulties to understand the whole thing.

Sometimes I think that my English has improved a lot and than I got slapped in the face by articles like this and than I know;I still have to learn so much:blush-anim-cl:

you're not alone!! :blush-anim-cl:

we're definitely on the same page!!! :teehee:

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks FD

Sometimes I think that my English has improved a lot and than I got slapped in the face by articles like this and than I know;I still have to learn so much:blush-anim-cl:

I still remain in awe of you all for doing as well as you do.....I REALLY take my hat off to you...you are amazing :thumb_yello:

Thanks for Posting Fred.:thumb_yello:

T4P Fred ;-)

Fantastic review, and getting 4 stars from them, really is something to be proud of.

The more I hear of I See You, the more certain I am that it's going to be (as Mika would say) immense!!!

I thought this official review might pacify my need for TBWKTM slightly but it's just made me more impatient! :aah:

As well as the songs being awesome, it sounds like they all flow into each other really well, cohesion being the one thing slightly lacking in LICM.

How in the world did you get the october magazine in august???:thumb_yello::thumb_yello:

How long do you think it will be before it comes out in stores?

Nice article:biggrin2: I'm curious as to what exactly they think was flawed about LICM (not that I would automatically disagree, I'm just curious to know what they thought and why).

I wonder if this will make anybody rethink their previous position on Mika or whether they will take to heart the line in the article about how if you didn't like him previously, this won't change your mind.

I mean, with so much music out there, does everyone listen with an open mind all the time or do we tend to prioritise our time and if something didn't appeal before, just presume that it still won't appeal and not give it a listen?

The reviewer refers to WAG as the "title track", hence the magazine must have thought WAG was the definate album title on time of writing :shocked:

I hope this doesn't make people think TBWKTM is a different album :sneaky2: - Q might even have the WAG artwork beside the review :blink:

Hopefully there's not too many of these kind of problems due to the sudden album name change or it might affect sales :sad:

mika_album_banner_MY_top.jpg

"The Camp One Comes Up Pop Trumps Again"

4 stars = Excellent (out of 5)

The artist know to his Mum as Micheal Holbrook Penniman is a one off.Out he flounced two years ago singing songs about Grace Kelly and girls with big bums,ever likely to break into a ludicrous falsetto and comporting himself like a precocious Rufus Wainwright.

There were many who considered him the spawn of satan and found his jolly camp as appealing as the contents of a sick bag.... Not that Mika should care.His debut album Life In Cartoon Motion found a home in nearly six Million households worldwide.So although the Lebanese-born kitsch conductor divided people in a way that say,Elbow do not,there were more than enough in his camp to make this second album an event.

There were but two courses for Mika to take this time around.With the unfathonable reasoning that grips many successful but not acclaimed stars he could opt to woo the doubters with an austere new direction.Or he could continue to go about his buisness while at the same time suggsting an artistic development from the fun but flawed first record.Being no fool,there was little doubt which way Mika would head - and any that lingered will have been dispatched by the single and title track.

A glam-pop storm of grand proportions,We Are Golden reintroduces that falsetto,utilises the services of not only one but two chiors and in all probability has had many a kitchen sink tossed at it to boot.No one driven to tears by Mika in the past will abide by it.For everyone else its a terrific return-the fact that it brings to mind both the gargantuan melodrama of a Jim Steinman production and a climatic High School Musical Show tune being but part of the appeal.

Rightly it opens the album with a flourish and sets the tone for all that is to come.For while nothing as over-the-top follows,it serves notice of Mika's improved craft as a writer of great pop tunes and the degree to which he understands great pop:that is should be rendered in bold primary colours,get to the chorus before it bores us and in doing so provoke extreme reactions.

On its heels (We are Golden) come two surefire hits :Blame It On The Girls(clipped piano,a rhythm track of clapping hands) and Rain,wherin Mika calls upon the services of Madonna collaborator Stuart Price to release his inner Madge by way of prime time Pet Shop Boys.

If trimming a couple of the tracks that ensure would have made it a tighter record,nothing lets the side down either.There is a brace of power ballads that echo the grown up Take That (I See You,By The Time),vaudeville (Dr John),power pop (Touches You),much else that is giddly insistent and further fine songs in Blue Eyes,One Foot Boy(Prince when he was fun) and Pick Up Off The Floor,which could of belonged to Judy Garland.

We get to know no more about Mika the man through any of this (the suggestion on Toy Boy thats it's protagonist maybe "better off with a Barbie Girl" is knowing - his sexuallity remains otherwise is otherwise off limits),and hat too is very pop.But in writing and performing every note,and in so doing bringing to mind everything from George Michael and the Scissor Sisters to Madonna and the Pet Shop Boys in the flush of (relative) youth,he is undoubtedly a star of the old school - And A Rare One At That.

Indie dullards are habitually applauded for their labours,pop stars with panache less so.Yet this is as bold,daring and vibrant an album as we'll hear this year.In any event,Mika is likely to have the last laugh.

Such a positive and great review of our Mika's new album in such an earnest rock magazine.

GO MIKA! :yay:

Thanks FD

you're not alone!! :blush-anim-cl:

we're definitely on the same page!!! :teehee:

not easy to understand for me either :aah:

but it has 4 stars...... so it must def be a positive review :naughty:

Photobucket was too slow so...

http://img300.imageshack.us/img300/4022/qmagazineoctober09mika0.jpg

edit: http://img140.imageshack.us/img140/363/mikaqmag20002.jpg

more in a min........

(are there others up already? I hadn't seen them)

Haha "Mika possibly colourblind" :teehee:

Thanks for posting this scan!

And thanks freddiesdouble for posting the article!

Thanks for typing it up from your subscription copy! I love Q magazine, they do obviously have some rock and britpop preferences but they surely are never shy to proclaim their love for pop when it's due!

Getting a good review from Q is very important, now all the cheap papers can copy and paste the praise!:biggrin2: