2009 - MIKA @ Popstarz Live @ The Scala, London 11-09 - REPORTS, PHOTOS, VIDS

Blue Sky

About the whole "it felt like it wasn't for hardcore fans" thing - I assume that means more along the lines of the event and the space, rather than from Mika's perspective. As in, these guys do this Popstarz thing regularly, it's their "thing", and this time their "thing" included a handful of fangurls in their midst.

Because I can't imagine Mika felt anything remotely negative about MFCers being there; I would think he'd like the idea of his "diehards" being there among the throng of gay boys.

And I haven't heard about any of the Popstarz boys being rude or exclusionary, either.

So for me, it sounds like it wasn't because of anything someone said or did, but simply because this gig wasn't primarily for "us". I know that sometimes at regular gigs, it sort of feels like the gig is for MFCers; and it looks like at this gig, Mika's crowd of adoring gay boys came first, MFCers second. It wasn't "our" gig. And I'm thinking that may be what caused the "we shouldn't have been there, especially not front row" vibe. Regardless of whether Mika or any of the Popstarz boys actually felt that way.

Of course, that's just my interpretation, sitting here in my pajamas at 11am 7,000 km away. I'm sure someone will tell me if that interpretation is way off. :naughty:

No, I certainly didn't feel any bad vibes from anyone....as I said earlier, I think we were made to feel very welcome. Bab and I were chatting to a couple of guys earlier as we waited to pick up our tickets. Later I saw them dancing and they waved up at me:naughty:

I don't know about anyone else but my mind was made up well before this gig...my choice of how to behave certainly wasn't influenced by any vibes I felt there. But my decision was made out of respect for what I felt Mika would want and for the regulars.

• Replies 693
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I follow the forum closely and I didn't know it was his first gay club- I know lots of pop performers play them, and just assumed that he would have done so before at some point. I often hear people mention places he's been that I've never heard of- and enthusiastic researcher that I am, I certainly don't look them all up

He has played Scala before in 2006, but I was meaning since he was a 'mainstream' artist

Oh and as to feeling uncomfortable- before during or after- I'd be surprised if anyone with those feelings ruined the atmosphere for the regulars

Besides, I understand that Popstarz is usually in a smaller venue but they went to Scala cos Mika's such a star? In that case they were expecting lots of people who aren't regulars, not just the fanclub. So I really wouldn't bother about it.

I follow the forum closely and I didn't know it was his first gay club- I know lots of pop performers play them, and just assumed that he would have done so before at some point. I often hear people mention places he's been that I've never heard of- and enthusiastic researcher that I am, I certainly don't look them all up

he have performed there bfore...

Here is Dr John:

(Maybe still processing)

And here is Relax:

(be patient, the beginning is long :wink2:)

.... just saw these videos and

:swoon:

If anyone who met Mika in that club in the past decade but chose to ignore him ever watches these videos I am sure they'll be banging their head against the wall for a whole hour ..... :cool:

Tiibet, you are a very sensitive being and tend to take things very much to heart. Also, like me, you are functioning today on very little sleep which always tends to heighten emotions. I personally aren't judging anyone. I am simply expressing my opinion. I apreciate that culterally things are probably different between the UK and Finland but yes, some non gay performers do certainly perform in Gay clubs here too. However, I think you are a big enough Mika fan and follow the forum closely enough to know that for Mika, since he has been in the mainstream limelight this was a first. This is purely my own view but I was of the opinion form day one that this would be different and that in my opinion, it would be better, on this occasion, not to dominate the front row. I made my opinions perfectly clear yesterday, did not queue and just tried to view it as 'a night out' rather than a Mika gig.

I do appreciate your concern that you are not always up with what is going on because of the language difficulty. That said, as I have said before, you do have very good English.

You asked me on at least two occasions yesterday 'what was going on/was there any news etc' which I think indicates your sense of anxiety that you want to know what is happening and don't want to miss anything. I can understand that. I know that you are a huge fan and all you want is to have the best experience that you can.

I am sorry that you feel that people are judging you. I certainly aren't, just as I don't expect people to judge me for taking a back step yesterday. We are all individuals. But one thing is for sure.....whatever happens involving Mika, it will be discussed to the ends of the earth on here:shocked:

I'm sorry, I thought this was the second time he was there :shocked: I thought I read it from somewhere, but I guess I was wrong, sorry. But for me, it is obvious that many gays like his music. That's why I thought he is quite obvious choice to perform at a gay club.

I ask you for any news a couple of times, because people told me that Scala had emailed people (on a mailing list?) telling that the gig is not 45 minutes but much shorter. I can't read my emails from my mobile abroad so I asked you and someone else (I can't remember who, sorry) about news. I (like many others) traveled a long way, so I wanted to know in advance if gig was going to be a short one. Actually, it wasn't a short one, it was a proper gig, I think.

It might be easier for UK fans to just spend "a night out". There are more possibilities to see him and you know each other well. Maybe for people from other countries too, if they feel they have a lot of friends on MFC. Sorry about my anxiety yesterday, I try to control it better in a future.

.... just saw these videos and

:swoon:

If anyone who met Mika in that club in the past decade but chose to ignore him ever watches these videos I am sure they'll be banging their head against the wall for a whole hour ..... :cool:

:lmao:

Can you imagine? Sucks to be the people who didn't want to buy him a drink way back when. :naughty:

On another note, Mika seems to be quite attached to that random greenish-blue feather hat.

Hi!

Most people upload them to something like flickr, imageshack, or phoobucket and then link them that way. Do you have an account with any of those? :original:

hey. thanks for the reply :). ive just seen the option to link my pictures. sorry im new here and still finding way way around :teehee::roftl:. :biggrin2:

:wub2: :wub2: thanx for those! lol, i love it how your camera keeps adding even more glitter to the picture than there already is! :lmao: guess that's reflections from the silver foil on stage...

don't you ever dare NOT being front row, i love your pix and videos! :wub2::naughty:

Yes, I know, glitter and light etc. :biggrin2: And I must say that it was a (positive) shock to see Mika in that outfit and it was difficult to concentrate :naughty:

He has played Scala before in 2006, but I was meaning since he was a 'mainstream' artist

Mika is a mainstream artist?

when the videos are done uploading - they will be under this address

http://www.youtube.com/user/cheshirecat76

I was lucky that I did not stand front row.. I guess those who did got the usual pushy treatment... :boxed:

I was standing at the back - so everyone around me was civilized and was not pushed - in fact managed to drink, dance, sing, take videos and chit chat all at the same time... :naughty:

as for the public display of affection... I am used to gay clubs and bars... it is quiet normal... that's why the crowd was 18+

I agree I used to go a lot when I was younger. In fact for a straight woman I always found them to have a really nice atmosphere, and I did last night too.

Let's get real here people.

IMO it was a gig for the regular Popstarz crowd. Mika wasn't bothered by us being there at all, but it was their night. And rightly so.

:lmao:

Can you imagine? Sucks to be the people who didn't want to buy him a drink way back when. :naughty:

On another note, Mika seems to be quite attached to that random greenish-blue feather hat.

So am I:fangurl: It's one of my favourites from the WAG vid

I agree I used to go a lot when I was younger. In fact for a straight woman I always found them to have a really nice atmosphere, and I did last night too.

Let's get real here people.

IMO it was a gig for the regular Popstarz crowd. Mika wasn't bothered by us being there at all, but it was their night. And rightly so.

gay disco`s are the best places to be , guys dont hassle you too much ... you can kiss & a cuddle a guy with no expections of needing to drop your drawers unless his partners up for a threesome :shocked: yes ive been asked many a time & told em to f off ! its just a care free place ... dance how you like without any sniggering if your moves are crap :thumb_yello: btw i started going to gay disco & bars from the age of 17 yes i am straight but most of my friends are male gays & i love them to bits :wub2:

ps cheers for the pics & vids :thumb_yello:

Hi Tiibet,

do you have more videos? They are sooooo beautiful, as beautiful as your pics !!!! :thumb_yello:

lucky spot... :shocked::drool:

More vids? :drool::biggrin2:

Thanks :wub2: Yes I do have more. But for some reason my mac is very slow uploading them into youtube :aah: I might loan my son's pc tonight... But I add them as soon as I can. And sorry, lights are strong and I wave my camera all the time because I dance :roftl:

Tiibet, just to clarify, I didn't for a second judge anyone or say that people should be ashamed of anything. I was only writing down my personal feelings of the night.

As you know, I was also at the front row, and this is how I felt about it, which is why I said it. I am not accusing anyone of anything :blink::wink2:.

Thanks :wub2: Yes I do have more. But for some reason my mac is very slow uploading them into youtube :aah: I might loan my son's pc tonight... But I add them as soon as I can. And sorry, lights are strong and I wave my camera all the time because I dance :roftl:

I think i would have dropped the cam. instead cos DAMN!!!!! :jawdrop:

Sara, thank you so much for your report. :thumb_yello:

I am not going to quote everything but I strongly recommend everyone to read this one,too.:wink2:

...concerning the way I feel about the gig, I'd say if I were a gay boy I would hate to have missed it and envy all of you for being there...:blush-anim-cl: (:wink2:)

:thumb_yello:

...concerning the stage invasion

You made a good point. Some fans clearly have a problem reading the signs - it has been a problem since the beginning both on MFC and at gigs. :cool:

It might be a lesson to be learnt for people who are open to learn and read between the lines. :wink2:

(..those who cannot I have no advice to give though:dunno:)

Suzie, you are a wise woman. I completely agree.

Aww, thanks Mellody :huglove: Just felt very sad. Almost deleted my vids. But I still have them.

Here is Dr John:

(Maybe still processing)

And here is Relax:

(be patient, the beginning is long :wink2:)

omg tiibet! your vids are incredible! :wub2:...thank you so much! :flowers2: