2009 - REPORTS/VIDEOS/PICS: 23 OCT Mika in Los Angeles, CA at Palladium Hollywood

dcdeb

you are right sara, but i repeat i was only saying that it was a shame, for a M&G agreed in advance for MFCers (hence i presume with lots of efforts put in it by ppl who organized it and all that jazz) to see it vanish.

it always takes a good labour to get one and to organize it in short time and i think of that kind of disappointment.

nothing is given for granted, and we who went to several gigs know it well.

i haven't seen mika personally since...let me think....berlin june 2009 and they were 2 words in a line.

ppl like me are hundreds, who never stalk or never push for a meeting, and if we fail to meet him we don't care.

at the same time i can understand how a newby (as we were in 2007) may want an autograph or a hallo from him.

the problem is that now numbers have changed, and we find ouselves with hundreds of ppl outside the gigs...so i think that we that had more chances in the past should be the one to give path to newbies.

and not the other way round.

and here i stop, cause i don't wnat this thread to become argumentative.

and it's only my personal p.o.v., of course!

I know, I know, hence why I was saying that I am genuinely disappointed for the guys who were there, as I would have LOVED for them to get the meeting :boxed:.

As I said it wasn't just your post or Avoca's what made me say this, it was the general way in which I've seen mentalities develop in the past few months, and these posts just reminded me of it, that's all :huglove: I'm not trying to argue with you

• Replies 277
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks everybody for your reports and pics! It all sounds great!

I hope his ankle doesn't cause him much trouble.

Even that he doesn't have the task of receiving his fans after the show I'd still would love to meet him at least for a couple of minutes, for an autograph, pic whatever because yeah it will be my first time (and I'm travelling) and would love that remembering. But if he can't then it's ok, we can't push him too much :dunno: I hope I'm lucky!

Edited by hathor

Honestly, I say this in a "non moany" way, and I don't mean to disrespect or bug anyone by saying it, but I really think that we need to move on from this "expecting M&G" mentality :teehee:. I love a nice M&G with Mika just as much as anyone else; I really enjoy seeing and chatting to him, obviously :naughty:, but it's starting to bother me how it seems like sometimes the whole meeting Mika part of it overshadows the gig, which is what we should really be focusing on.

Meeting Mika is a by-product of the gigs, and a very nice one, but I don't think that we should be putting so much emphasys on it. Again, as an example, he never came out after Toronto. He barely came out after Montreal, and it was so late and in such an obscure place that only a bunch of fans were left there, and hardly anyone got to see him.

People had travelled for both shows, from far, and missed him, but nobody was upset because they had gone for the gig, and the gig is what they got, so there was no "extra expectation". I travelled to the Canadian shows and I can honestly say that I was NOT expecting anything besides a good gig, and that I was pleasantly surprised with anything extra that came once I was there, but my initial expectation was not of all this extra stuff. Obviously I was "hoping" for something, thinking that it would be lovely, but I would have gone back home equally happy if I had not had any contact with Mika and co at all, and had just gotten a fantastic show.

I'm not trying to portray myself as a model of virtue here :naughty:, but just showing this example as I'm trying to press the point that I think it's dangerous to be making this sort of statement about it being a shame that people didn't meet him, and they traveled so far, etc... because all it does is set a precedent for a future expectation, and eventually it will just cause grief and disappointment. If we start making this the accepted thinking trend, and start focusing on it, it will just cause trouble IMO.

Again, of course, this is nothing personal against you Robi and Avoca, or anyone else who migh or may have made similar posts. It's just a response to something that I've been seeing brewing for a while on this forum and I wanted to address before it gets out of hand.

And, of course, I was wishing for my fellow MFC'ers to meet him and am sorry that they didn't, that goes without saying :thumb_yello:.

I know what you mean Sara. And of course this time it was a shame there wasn't any m&g, because people had worked in advance to organize it and looked forward to it, but generally I think it's best to think that every meeting with him (no matter how short) is always extra. I have learnt that if I expect an amazing gig it always happens and I'm happy :biggrin2: And what happens after it, it's extra happiness. I don't want to expect pictures or long chat with him, it may never happen.

So, if I see an awesome gig, I'm happy :wub2: And if I get a fast pretty smile after the gig, I'm even more happier. Our boy is so busy and sometimes he must be very tired.

Thanks for all reports!! :thumb_yello: I hope he will do that LT jump sometime again (but without hurting his ankle, of course).

Oops, last post got cut off.

All told, a fantastic gig by the fantastic Mika. He's so freakin' awesome. :wub2:

:yay: Thanks for the updates, Mana! A great way to kick off your b'day

celebrations, eh? :thumb_yello:

Honestly, I say this in a "non moany" way, and I don't mean to disrespect or bug anyone by saying it, but I really think that we need to move on from this "expecting M&G" mentality :teehee:. I love a nice M&G with Mika just as much as anyone else; I really enjoy seeing and chatting to him, obviously :naughty:, but it's starting to bother me how it seems like sometimes the whole meeting Mika part of it overshadows the gig, which is what we should really be focusing on.

I know it's already been said, but Sara, I also wanted to stress

that I don't think anyone was moaning

about *expecting* a meet & greet -- it's just that one HAD been arranged

and so it was a disappointment that it couldn't happen. I had texts from

our contact on Mika's team and we had it all arranged for about 30 MFCers to

get a few moments with Mika after the show,

so obviously there's bound to be a little disappointment that it was

cancelled, no matter the reason. I mean, I'm sure no one wanted to see

Mika in discomfort, but I think it's fair to express feeling let down when

one minute you think you're going to see him and the next you find out

that you won't.

That was a phenomenal gig! There was some frustrating shut with the queue at first, unfortunately. They brought everyone to the doors then told us to form two queues, but then moved ppl from 30th in the queue to the front of the third queue. :sneaky2:

The gig though was phenomenal!!! Mika was so into it, and even whipped out some delicious dance moves during Touches You. Rawr!!

During Love Today he made us all crouch down, close our eyes, and then jump on the count of three (like he did in Philly)? That was SUCH an amazing feeling! :wub2:

I think this was when Mika twisted his ankle, though. It was not long after that we noticed him limping a little. He came out for the encore with his foot in a tensor bandage. MFC were on the list for a quick m&g, but his management said he was putting his ankle on ice. There is a small chance he may need to cancel Oakland, but we were told that would be a last resort as he really hates cancelling shows.

Don't worry though, peeps; he's gonna be just fine. It's just a basic strain or sprain; to quell the rumours, it's not broken or anything. :original:

All told, it

I find the splitting up into two groups (male and female) thing to be utterly ridiculous. Not only are the groups disproportionate, but does it really matter that the two lines are checked for different things (men's pockets, women's purses). Our security was the worst I have ever seen and the same thing that happened at your show, happened in Chicago too.

He did the kneeling down thing in Chicago as well and he said that was the first time they had done it....but maybe he was mistaken if they did it in Philly?

it's just that one HAD been arranged

that you won't.

Yes, it was a shame it was cancelled. You do a lot of work to organize these meetings :wub2: and this time people had expectations for reasons. Maybe they will meet him tonight.

I hope he doesn't have a lot of pains, poor boy... Btw, anyone knows if he had shoes or not? Sorry if I have missed that information.

I know it's already been said, but Sara, I also wanted to stress

that I don't think anyone was moaning

about *expecting* a meet & greet -- it's just that one HAD been arranged

that you won't.

Yes, Deb, I already posted that I didn't say that Robi or Avoca were moaning about there not being a m&g, but that it was the way things had been brewing for some time with comments made by people in the past, which I was targetting. The posts today just reminded me of it, and hence I said what I said, because I didn't want it to start going down that route.

I've already expressed that I am disappointed for the guys in LA that they didn't get the meeting, as it was arranged, and obviously they must have been disappointed themselves :wink2:. Of course it's perfectly legitimate to be disappointed if something which is arranged falls through, and I would have been myself in that circumstance.

What I was saying was that when people start mentioning travel, etc, it gets a bit complex because at the time where they arranged to travel they didn't know about a possible meeting, so they were just looking forward to the gig.

Anyway I don't want to drag this on and on, I hope that what I was saing is a bit clearer now and that my post is just taken for what it is, nothing more. I am not being argumentative or telling people that they shouldn't be disappointed because something that was arranged is not happening, just that "in general" people should not "expect etras" :naughty:.

Even that he doesn't have the task of receiving his fans after the show I'd still would love to meet him at least for a couple of minutes, for an autograph, pic whatever because yeah it will be my first time (and I'm travelling) and would love that remembering. But if he can't then it's ok, we can't push him too much :dunno: I hope I'm lucky!

I hope that you do too, and I'm sure that you probably will :thumb_yello:

I find the splitting up into two groups (male and female) thing to be utterly ridiculous. Not only are the groups disproportionate, but does it really matter that the two lines are checked for different things (men's pockets, women's purses). Our security was the worst I have ever seen and the same thing that happened at your show, happened in Chicago too.

Yes, the splitting into male/female is the strangest thing ever. They do that at Brixton Academy in London which is why Mika gigs there suck; If you are a girl (90% of population at Mika gigs :naughty:) you know that, no matter how long you queued for, you'll have tons of guys in front of you as they let both in at the same time and they need to go back in the line to fetch them.

Such a stupid pointless system. Last time I told one security person that I didn't mind being searched by a guy, go ahead and pat me, I didn't want to wait for the next available woman while 10 guys who were hours behind me in the queue got in ahead of me :boxed:.

Thanks BS, those vids are AMAZING quality!!! This person has some old Mika footage from 2007 as well, I remember watching them all and thinking that they were some of the best quality ones out there at that time (even when YT was far worse when it came to quality)

Lovely :wub2:

Yes, just saw it. Poor ankle. But his Love Today was incredible :mf_lustslow: They saw a really good show yesterday, he seemed to be very pleased too.

They did!! It looks really really good.

Btw have you seen the thing on the back of his jacket? Is that the same design of the merch bag that he's been carrying around? :naughty: He loves that one if that is the case :teehee:

Yes, the splitting into male/female is the strangest thing ever. They do that at Brixton Academy in London which is why Mika gigs there suck; If you are a girl (90% of population at Mika gigs :naughty:) you know that, no matter how long you queued for, you'll have tons of guys in front of you as they let both in at the same time and they need to go back in the line to fetch them.

Such a stupid pointless system. Last time I told one security person that I didn't mind being searched by a guy, go ahead and pat me, I didn't want to wait for the next available woman while 10 guys who were hours behind me in the queue got in ahead of me :boxed:.

I remember that! It was awful and very confusing. The guy entrance was completely empty, but I was almost killed at the girls entrance, and then they kept screaming: WE HAVEN'T SCANNED YOUR TICKET YEEET! And I screamed back: THEY ARE PUSHING MEEEE! Then when I got through, I went right ahead but had to run back because they had to search my bag and I ended up at a miserable spot, considering I had queued since 8.30 in the morning. No Brixton for me anymore:mf_rosetinted:

Btw have you seen the thing on the back of his jacket? Is that the same design of the merch bag that he's been carrying around? :naughty: He loves that one if that is the case :teehee:

Yes, I just thought it must be the same design as in totes and posters? Did anyone of you notice if he had shoes or not? Just thinking if his ankle is now hurting because he didn't have shoes...

Thank you for all nice reports, videos and pictures!:thumb_yello:

I love that thing too, I don't know what to call it.:wink2:

If they make a T-shirt or a bag with that on :wub2: I will definitely buy it althought I don't usually buy things like that!:teehee:

I hope that you do too, and I'm sure that you probably will :thumb_yello:

Thanks BS, those vids are AMAZING quality!!! This person has some old Mika footage from 2007 as well, I remember watching them all and thinking that they were some of the best quality ones out there at that time (even when YT was far worse when it came to quality)

Lovely :wub2:

Exactly, Sara, such a completely flawed system. At the Chicago gig they didn't even pat us down, all they did was search our purses, so I don't see what the need for splitting up the two groups was. Really idiotic, because the female line is always going to take longer since most women carry purses with them.

Made me think that I'll stop taking a purse with me from now on, if it'll ensure that I get into the venue quicker!

Wow! Sounds like it was an incredible gig, despite Mika breaking himself. :boxed: Thank you for the pics, videos, and reports so far. One of my friends, who I had no idea was a Mika fan, was at the show. I can't wait to hear what he thought of it.

I really don't see why Mika would need to cancel a gig unless he's really done some serious damage to himself. I said this in the pre-gig chatter thread, but honestly, I'd rather see him doing an entire gig sitting at the piano than no gig at all. Sure, it wouldn't be the same, but we could just pretend we're at an Elton John concert. :naughty: Good music, just no bouncing. Take care of yourself, Mika!