2009 - REPORTS/VIDEOS/PICS: 23 OCT Mika in Los Angeles, CA at Palladium Hollywood

dcdeb

So ginger ale is good for the whole panicking/salivating situation?! i should get some tomorrow :teehee::naughty:

And too bad you felt like that, specially in the middle of the gig...:boxed:

I guess so :dunno::naughty:

Yeah, but Oakland made up for it :pinkbow:

• Replies 277
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

OH MY GOD!

:woot_jump:

This has been the best weekend of my life. I wish I could sum it all up, all the ups and downs, the roller coaster ride this entire thing was...but I'm tired and too overwhelmed. Hopefully a full report later.

We love our One Foot Boy:wub2:....and are so grateful for all that he does for us...esp the Oakland gig...I'll be getting to that report thread.

It's hard...both gigs are combined for me, so splitting it up in two threads is odd for me right now.

Not feeling PMD so much yet, but a bad case of PMFCD. I miss my people.:tears:

Well every prior time I've seen Mika, I always had ginger ale with me, and I would feel okay once I saw him. However, I had none in LA and when Mika come on stage I didn't get any better. I think it was right before Gary Go or Mika came on that I almost threw up. My mouth just started salivating and I was panicking :aah:

So yeah, I felt like sh*t throughout the whole show and I couldn't even muster up any strength to sing along, so I just mouthed the words. Then when we were waiting to meet him afterward, I was very unstable and kept walking off-balance. I'm sure I looked very drunk :lol3:

I swear I wasn't though! :aah:

Ginger is good for nausea and helps with blood circulation, so makes sense.

My first mika gig. And.it.was.amazing. I met him atabiut three by the tour buses. I'll upload the pic when I get a chance. Also trying reconnect with the peoplei met. I was third in line and I was wearing a dress. I was with my two friends. We had chairs. Sound familiar?

An did anyone else see Katy Perry after the concert?

Not so good review, but, bigger pics (2 pages)

http://blogs.laweekly.com/westcoastsound/last-night/mika-palladium-los-angeles-per/index.php?page=1

------------------

The Unbearable Frustration of Being Mika (at the Palladium)

By Randall Roberts in Last NightMon., Oct. 26 2009 @ 11:10AM

By Gustavo Turner

Halfway through his set last Friday at the Hollywood Palladium British would-be pop superstar Mika unveiled "Touches You," one of the shiniest tracks on his slick new album The Boy Who Knew Too Much. "I wanna be your brother, wanna be your father too," he propositioned the packed dancefloor, "never make you run for cover even if they want us too/ I wanna be your sister, wanna be your mother too/ I wanna be whatever else that touches you."

That, in a nutshell, is one of Mika's biggest problems. He wants to be a huge star really, really badly. He has everything going for him: he's extremely good-looking, has a remarkably cultivated physique and good taste in the 70s and 80s oldies that he relentlessly plunders for his songs, and he unashamedly makes gay pop though he also cultivates a degree of ambiguity for the little girls' sake.

But ultimately Mika doesn't really know what he wants to sell you -- like an expensive prostitute at a five-star hotel, he can be whatever touches you. And he really, really wants to know, as he famously sang in his breakthrough small hit "Grace Kelly," why don't you like him, why don't you like him.

Don't get me wrong, the large audience he drew at the Palladium -- mostly very young (high-school young), mostly girls, but also a number of gay men and boys -- was having a great time dancing, wearing balloon animal headdresses, and singing along to the catchy tunes from "The Boy Who..." and its predecessor, the Perez Hilton-endorsed "Life in Cartoon Motion." Mika thanked them for their support, though he followed the appreciation with a frustrated dig at his US record label (the revived Casablanca Records within the Universal umbrella) for failing to make his career go supernova.

And this is the other big problem with Mika's act: he oscillates between a persona who wants to stay in his bedroom in his underwear dancing to happy pop music on his headphones surrounded by stuffed animals and other trappings of childhood, and a raging Messiah complex where he leads fat girls, outcasts, and other people less good-looking and privileged than him into some kind of vague revolution against "them," the people who want to make his adopted siblings and children "run for cover."

Like in a very gay vaudeville version of "Hamlet," you could actually feel the frustration and neurosis of this unhappy prince through his entire set. From the prologue, where Mika's number one fan Sir Ian McKellen (you old dog!) plays a newscaster on TV announcing a space launch gone wrong (do any of the gold-shoed girlies recognize the actual footage of the Challenger explosion used to represent Mika's tragedy?), to a wink to Ziggy Stardust, to Mika stripping to his undies, the whole show bounced between despair and exhilaration.

But Mika didn't want to be in the Hollywood Palladium. He knows and is told incessantly that he belongs in the Hollywood Bowl or the Rose Bowl, or any other massive arena with Fergie and Gaga and all the other international brand names. This ambition is not merely the usual pipe dream of everyone you meet in this town. Though sometimes derivative to the point of pointlessness, he does have solid material ("Touch You" is a better George Michael song than anything GM has come up with in years), he can do Queen-meets-the-Bee-Gees-in-the-body-of-a-Dave-LaChapelle-boytoy better than anybody in the business, and his mid-set ballads are no worse than whatever Elton John and Lloyd Webber are feeding Disney these days.

"We are not what you think we are," he mantra-like repeated to himself and the world on Friday, "we are GOLDEN, we are GOLDEN." Nobody's arguing with that. But not many are buying either. And if Mika keeps protesting too much, to use the distant mirror of the 70s he so adores, he might unravel like Jobriath instead of soaring like Elton.

I just read that too.

"Mika didn't want to be in the Hollywood Palladium."

"you could actually feel the frustration and neurosis of this unhappy prince through his entire set":blink:

Was he at the same show I was at? I saw a VERY happy Mika...a very, VERY happy Mika. This review confuses me...

That article is more of an essay than a proper gig review. While I don't disagree with everything the author is saying, it seems like he already had several opinions of Mika, which he then projected onto that particular show. It sounded like he did enjoy the concert, but the review still has such a negative tone.