2009 - REPORTS/VIDEOS/PHOTOS for Oct. 24 Mika in Oakland, CA at Fox Theater

dcdeb

It was so nice to meet you, Katrien! Thanks for your report and pictures, they're wonderful and I'm glad you had such a wonderful time!!!

I really love photos from Dr. John, they're brilliant.

Oh, it takes me back...it's been, what, 3 weeks now. Geez. I just wanna go back and do it all over again...

Ditto.

I know I'm a bit late with my report, but I'm only back from my trip to California since today!

It was one of the best Mika-days ... I know I say this every time, but it's only because it's getting better and better! Every time I think "next time can't be as good", he does it again

First of all, the queuing part was nice ... it was sunny and we could go to the restroom at Sears (always important). Most of all it was amazing to meet all of you! The hours of waiting were very pleasant with you guys! I applied to be a big girl, but wasn't big enough according to Allison :aah: ... probably the first time I wasn't happy to hear that. BUT ... when I went with Mana to the see Allison, I saw Mika :mf_lustslow: After I saw Allison, I was going to go back to the queue, but Mana told me Mika was arriving soon (thanks again for that). I was surprisingly calm! He looked amazing and it all was very relaxed.

About the show: it was amazing to hear the songs of the new album live :boing: I LOVED One Foot Boy and Touches you! Another one of my favorite moments was when - during WAG - the whole audience was singing along and he laughed! You could feel the magic :wub2: ... (even my husband told me he thought it was an emotional moment) ... oh and the trumpet solo of SITM The version of Happy Ending was the best one I've ever heard (thanks Nono for filming it)!

The M&G after the show was unforgettable for me ... thanks again Andrew for making this possible (and the other very engaged MFC'ers)!!! Normally I don't talk much when I see Mika ... I'm just standing there, smile and wait for him to sign something. I don't know why, but this time I couldn't shut up ... maybe it's because I was more sure about my English (which I practiced all day queuing with MFC'ers :wink2:) ... I don't know. When it was my turn I shook his hand and had my picture taken with him. Then he signed my t-shirt with an heart and "Mika x" (which my husband bought me before the gig). I told him I was here all the way from Belgium. He told me he was going to play in Antwerp and said that he's looking forward to it. I told him I already bought my tickets :blush-anim-cl:Then he asked me what I was doing in Oakland. I told him I was there on a vacation with Frederik, my husband. Mika then ask Frederik to join us for another picture :aah: When I let go he friendly squeezed my shoulder :wub2: (ok, now I'm too much of a fangurl :blush-anim-cl:). Frederik had my CD to sign. He asked my what my name was and when I spelled it out, he said "Katrien, so you much be Flemish". I told him that I liked Happy Ending so much and that he has to take care of his foot. He wished us a good trip and we took off.

I know this is very random, but for me it meant the world :wub2: it was amazing to have so much time with Mika. I like the way he always looks at you when you are speaking to him!

Afterwards we said goodbye to everyone ... again, it was so lovely to meet you all. Sara, thanks again for dropping us off at the hotel!

Sorry, if I'm being to fangirly, but after three weeks, I'm still on a Mika-high ... It was an amazing start of my holiday!

It's a very lovely report, and congrats! you certainly started your vacation time really well :thumb_yello:

I bolded some words, Mika is so caring asking you that :wub2:

And also very nice pics!!

:lmfao:

Okay this picture is adorable... but it looks like your husband has his hand on Mika's behind. And his expression makes it even better, like he's proud to be doing so. :roftl:

I totally know what you mean ... it's the first thing I noticed too :naughty: He indeed looks proud ... :roftl:

Frederik his explanation was that John tookthe pic before he was standing the right way ... hence his closed eyes ... I teased him alot with it during our holiday :teehee:

Nice meeting you too!

My pics with Mika:

IMG_1782.jpg

IMG_1783.jpg

Adorable! You guys are all so cute! Wonderful wonderful. Did Kira send you the one I took of you guys talking to him?

And at least ... Kira and Indy ... here's your picture:

IMG_1781.jpg

:lmfao: That's awesome! We both look hilarious! Thank you for sharing it with us. :wub2:

Also, there is NO WAY that it has been almost an entire month. I miss you guys all so much! Kira and I think and talk about y'all and how awesome you are every day. I can't wait until we can all meet again! :huglove:

OOOKKKAAAYYY so in my English class, about every 4 weeks we get assigned a paper that we can write on anything we want. Basically, you must reflect on an event in your life in 300-600 words.

Well I fit Oakland into 694. Not too shabby.

If anyone wants:

Obsession can be a foreign concept. It’s crazy. It’s strange. And, most of all, it’s completely irrational. Explaining the events leading up to an obsession are an entirely different story. But for roughly two years, I had been madly fanatical about a British pop star named Mika.

For years, I had repeated that when Mika toured North America, I would be there. Unfortunately, in this time frame, he played a total of two shows in the United States, neither of which I was able to make. So when it was announced that there would be a proper U.S. tour, I was more than ready.

And, if I was ever ready for that concert, it was on the morning of the show, October 24th. My sister, a fellow fan, and I were out of our minds when we got up. Deeply frantic, we rescheduled our arrival time at the venue from noon to 9:45 am. Doors were at 7.

We arrived at the theater on that morning—and, however crazy it may sound, weren’t the first ones there. We were welcomed into the six-person line by a trio of friends from East Bay, California, a girl from Atlanta, another girl from Denver, and a girl who had driven up straight from Mika’s concert in L.A. the night before, and was having a nice nap.

The more Mika fans that showed up, the more friends we made. Five minutes after a group that had flown up from the Los Angeles gig showed up—six people from places like California, Canada, and Germany--my sister and I were walking with them back to our hotel. It was like we were instantly friends without even introducing ourselves. One of the things that I learned from this trip was that Mika fans share not only an obsession with the same musician, but they are also an amicable, funny, and friendly bunch that I am proud to be a part of.

The day unfolded perfectly. By complete chance I ended up bumping into Mika a couple hours before the show. This meeting shocked me into reality that this was actually happening, and I was quite overcome. However, my new friends completely understood. I was surprised how after sitting with someone in a line for twelve hours, you can grow as close as someone you have known for years.

When doors finally rolled around, I found myself in the front row in between two lovely friends from L.A. Both of these girls had seen Mika multiple times before and assured me that my mind would be blown. I knew that my mind would be blown—I had heard it from countless show reports and articles. However, when Mika walked onto stage in an astronaut helmet, I knew that words had just been the beginning.

I could blab for eighteen pages about how fantastic the show was. No video or speakers or headphones can compare to the man whom you adore singing, right in front of your face. Hours in front of a screen watching him have nothing on the real thing. Standing in a crowd, jumping up and down, screaming the words to your favorite song, and seeing a reaction from the man who wrote it? It’s priceless.

The day didn’t stop getting better. My fan connections got me into a private meet and greet with the man himself. I cannot stress how incredible this was—the fact that Mika was willing to do this for us. Whether he realized it or not, just talking to him for ten seconds was an absolutely unforgettable experience.

So, at the end of the day, I had not only made some amazing friends and been to the best concert of my life, but I had met my idol. October 24th was and forever shall be the best day of my life—until the next concert, of course.

I learned an important lesson from this pilgrimage. It pays to be decadent every once in a while. Because while it’s easy to sink into a routine that works for you every day, if you don’t indulge yourself, you may miss the best day of your life.

:naughty: Sorry, t'was cheesalicious.

I learned an important lesson from this pilgrimage. It pays to be decadent every once in a while. Because while it’s easy to sink into a routine that works for you every day, if you don’t indulge yourself, you may miss the best day of your life.

Aww, I love it! :wub2:

And I hafta' agree about the decadent part. See you at the next California gig? :naughty:

i learned an important lesson from this pilgrimage. It pays to be decadent every once in a while.

Because while it’s easy to sink into a routine that works for you every day,

if you don’t indulge yourself, you may miss the best day of your life.

EXACTLY--

ml4g0.jpg

&

v e r y !

Edited by A. Clay

Thats a great essay! And what you write about being decadent once in a while is very true!!

Not cheesalicious! It was awesome!! I loved it, Kira. :wub2:

The conclusion is ace. I completely agree about being decadent every once in a while and I can't wait until the next time we get to be decadent again. :biggrin2:

Yes it sure pays to be decadent once in awhile. :teehee:

Lovely essay Kira. :wub2: I'm so glad I could be there at your first gig. You'll surely never forget it.

Thats a great essay! And what you write about being decadent once in a while is very true!!

Thanks you guys!

I read this aloud to the class next week--no one there will get the significance of the word "decadence", but I think it gets the meaning across very well. :naughty:

Aww, I love it! :wub2:

And I hafta' agree about the decadent part. See you at the next California gig? :naughty:

Not cheesalicious! It was awesome!! I loved it, Kira. :wub2:

The conclusion is ace. I completely agree about being decadent every once in a while and I can't wait until the next time we get to be decadent again. :biggrin2:

Yes yes yes! See you at the next ANY North American gig! I'm already looking up flights for New York next summer. :teehee:

Nono once told me ... seeing Mika live ruins your life. Because once you know how amazing it is, you get addicted, and you can't stop going. Well, she was RIGHT. See you there!!!

EXACTLY--

ml4g0.jpg

&

v e r y !

What is that Alice?? :lmfao:

What is that Alice?? :lmfao:

RE:

ml4g0.jpg

That's ME, riding way up Broadway, in a very decadent stretch limo,

(acting silly) with a decanter of booze in each hand,

on my way to see MIKA's fab show at the United Palace, NYC, on Oct. 16!

Edited by A. Clay

RE:

ml4g0.jpg

That's ME, riding way up Broadway, in a very decadent stretch limo,

(acting silly) with a decanter of booze in each hand,

on my way to see MIKA's fab show at the United Palace, NYC, on Oct. 16!

:shocked:

WOW!

And i thought the girls were decadent!

Look at you...that's what i call pure decadence!:naughty:

:thumb_yello:

Once again Alice - These reports & photos of your Mika Night were absolutelty magnificent!:thumb_yello::thumb_yello:

As you know I thoroughly enjoyed them!:bow::bow:

" . . . and the rest of the story . . . "

Glad to see you had the time of your life!:naughty:

Limo was amazing and those pics of Imma's dress were awsome...:wink2:

Massive report, Alice!:thumb_yello:

Ms. Wonka wasn't Alice's night absolutley Amazing??

The "surprise" ending was something out of a Fairy Tale!:thumb_yello::thumb_yello:

OOOKKKAAAYYY so in my English class, about every 4 weeks we get assigned a paper that we can write on anything we want. Basically, you must reflect on an event in your life in 300-600 words.

Well I fit Oakland into 694. Not too shabby.

If anyone wants:

Obsession can be a foreign concept. It’s crazy. It’s strange. And, most of all, it’s completely irrational. Explaining the events leading up to an obsession are an entirely different story. But for roughly two years, I had been madly fanatical about a British pop star named Mika.

For years, I had repeated that when Mika toured North America, I would be there. Unfortunately, in this time frame, he played a total of two shows in the United States, neither of which I was able to make. So when it was announced that there would be a proper U.S. tour, I was more than ready.

And, if I was ever ready for that concert, it was on the morning of the show, October 24th. My sister, a fellow fan, and I were out of our minds when we got up. Deeply frantic, we rescheduled our arrival time at the venue from noon to 9:45 am. Doors were at 7.

We arrived at the theater on that morning—and, however crazy it may sound, weren’t the first ones there. We were welcomed into the six-person line by a trio of friends from East Bay, California, a girl from Atlanta, another girl from Denver, and a girl who had driven up straight from Mika’s concert in L.A. the night before, and was having a nice nap.

The more Mika fans that showed up, the more friends we made. Five minutes after a group that had flown up from the Los Angeles gig showed up—six people from places like California, Canada, and Germany--my sister and I were walking with them back to our hotel. It was like we were instantly friends without even introducing ourselves. One of the things that I learned from this trip was that Mika fans share not only an obsession with the same musician, but they are also an amicable, funny, and friendly bunch that I am proud to be a part of.

The day unfolded perfectly. By complete chance I ended up bumping into Mika a couple hours before the show. This meeting shocked me into reality that this was actually happening, and I was quite overcome. However, my new friends completely understood. I was surprised how after sitting with someone in a line for twelve hours, you can grow as close as someone you have known for years.

When doors finally rolled around, I found myself in the front row in between two lovely friends from L.A. Both of these girls had seen Mika multiple times before and assured me that my mind would be blown. I knew that my mind would be blown—I had heard it from countless show reports and articles. However, when Mika walked onto stage in an astronaut helmet, I knew that words had just been the beginning.

I could blab for eighteen pages about how fantastic the show was. No video or speakers or headphones can compare to the man whom you adore singing, right in front of your face. Hours in front of a screen watching him have nothing on the real thing. Standing in a crowd, jumping up and down, screaming the words to your favorite song, and seeing a reaction from the man who wrote it? It’s priceless.

The day didn’t stop getting better. My fan connections got me into a private meet and greet with the man himself. I cannot stress how incredible this was—the fact that Mika was willing to do this for us. Whether he realized it or not, just talking to him for ten seconds was an absolutely unforgettable experience.

So, at the end of the day, I had not only made some amazing friends and been to the best concert of my life, but I had met my idol. October 24th was and forever shall be the best day of my life—until the next concert, of course.

Superstar I loved it!

I can relate as I am obsessed too!

If you have any psyche classes I would suggest you write an article on PMGDS.

Post Mika Gig Depression Syndrome:

There is no known cure.

It is very depressing.

It does not kill you.

It lasts about a week.

Only known temporary cure is a Mika Concert.

:roftl::roftl:

Once again Alice - These reports & photos of your Mika Night were absolutelty magnificent!:thumb_yello::thumb_yello:

As you know I thoroughly enjoyed them!:bow::bow:

Ms. Wonka wasn't Alice's night absolutley Amazing??

The "surprise" ending was something out of a Fairy Tale!:thumb_yello::thumb_yello:

That's a heck of a multiquote you have there, dude!:mf_rosetinted:

How did you do it?:blink:

That's a heck of a multiquote you have there, dude!:mf_rosetinted:

How did you do it?:blink:

Are you teasing me Ms. Wonka??

The reason I am suspicious is that you are far more proficient at the computer than I am.

But if you are serious I click the "HQ to the right of the "Quote where you generally reply with a quote.

Am I answering your question or did I misinterpret??

I am being serious - as I owe you big time for helping me with my signature photos - which I love being able to change them & size them properly - not that I wouldn't assist you anyway.

I love that tinypic.

I love you cheshire cat!!!!