2009 - REPORTS/VIDEOS/PHOTOS for Oct. 24 Mika in Oakland, CA at Fox Theater

dcdeb

RE:

ml4g0.jpg

That's ME, riding way up Broadway, in a very decadent stretch limo,

(acting silly) with a decanter of booze in each hand,

on my way to see MIKA's fab show at the United Palace, NYC, on Oct. 16!

OH I GOT IT!

Girl that is DECADENCE! And a whole lotta booze :roftl:

:shocked:

WOW!

And i thought the girls were decadent!

Look at you...that's what i call pure decadence!:naughty:

:thumb_yello:

Indeed!

Fabby report Alice! Love all the pics-- and the ending was HILARIOUS! :roftl:

Are you teasing me Ms. Wonka??

The reason I am suspicious is that you are far more proficient at the computer than I am.

But if you are serious I click the "HQ to the right of the "Quote where you generally reply with a quote.

Am I answering your question or did I misinterpret??

I am being serious - as I owe you big time for helping me with my signature photos - which I love being able to change them & size them properly - not that I wouldn't assist you anyway.

I love that tinypic.

I love you cheshire cat!!!!

We're off topic, check your wall...:wink2:

Superstar I loved it!

I can relate as I am obsessed too!

If you have any psyche classes I would suggest you write an article on PMGDS.

Post Mika Gig Depression Syndrome:

There is no known cure.

It is very depressing.

It does not kill you.

It lasts about a week.

Only known temporary cure is a Mika Concert.

:roftl::roftl:

YES YES YES! That's a fantastic idea! :roftl:

We're off topic, check your wall...:wink2:

Not too bad, took several posts, not too bad with Ms Wonka. :mf_rosetinted::naughty:

OH I GOT IT!

Girl that is DECADENCE! And a whole lotta booze :roftl:

Indeed!

Fabby report Alice! Love all the pics-- and the ending was HILARIOUS! :roftl:

TRUE CONFESSION:

Did not drink a drop before the NYC concert;

also didn't act as much like a maniac as I did at two previous

MIKA concerts where I had several strong ones!

Just laid back and took in MIKA's success

and was SO PROUD of TEAM MIKA's PERFORMANCE,

the set design and stage clothes +

fans' enjoyment that night at the United Palace.

That limo was not specified by me: they sent it 'cause they were out of just a 'town car,' but did not charge extra for the ridiculous one. Wasn't paying for the decanter's so didn't use 'em--just for a "photo opportunity" effect!

Honest, 1st drink of the day was after mid-night, after the show at the across-the-street restaurant where MIKA showed up. Good thing too, cause I could have died when MIKA's mum--who had very big hair that night--sat down at the table MIKA was at--completely blocking my very good view of Mr. "M" . . .

PS: Even though we decided not to approach MIKA during his family-time,

we were unable to keep our eyes off of him and

there was something pretty neat about being in,

and enjoying food/drink,

in the same space as he and his party were also!

Edited by A. Clay

Once again Alice - These reports & photos of your Mika Night were absolutelty magnificent!:thumb_yello::thumb_yello:

As you know I thoroughly enjoyed them!:bow::bow:

Ms. Wonka wasn't Alice's night absolutley Amazing??

The "surprise" ending was something out of a Fairy Tale!:thumb_yello::thumb_yello:

It was a pretty good NYC visit:

Hope I can make the Radio City Music Hall one this summer.

Getting to be a little more comfortable in NYC and have already

alerted my regular "keepers" of the event (no date yet.)

They have friends in NYC who have a new baby they want to visit,

+ they want to visit some of the Art Museums there, so it's looking good!

[i DO wish MIKA would re-visit Washington, D.C.

-- Even the Beatles came to DC!

MIKA previously played the "9:30 Club" in DC

-- right before I learned of him!]

Post-gig depression

the following day-

ml6du.jpg

TOO, TOO SAD!

Edited by A. Clay

RE:

ml4g0.jpg

That's ME, riding way up Broadway, in a very decadent stretch limo,

(acting silly) with a decanter of booze in each hand,

on my way to see MIKA's fab show at the United Palace, NYC, on Oct. 16!

20953057 omg that's super!

:shocked:

WOW!

And i thought the girls were decadent!

Look at you...that's what i call pure decadence!:naughty:

:thumb_yello:

let's drown in it! :yay::roftl:

TRUE CONFESSION:

Did not drink a drop before the NYC concert;

also didn't act as much like a maniac as I did at two previous

MIKA concerts where I had several strong ones!

Just laid back and took in MIKA's success

and was SO PROUD of TEAM MIKA's PERFORMANCE,

the set design and stage clothes +

fans' enjoyment that night at the United Palace.

That limo was not specified by me: they sent it 'cause they were out of just a 'town car,' but did not charge extra for the ridiculous one. Wasn't paying for the decanter's so didn't use 'em--just for a "photo opportunity" effect!

Honest, 1st drink of the day was after mid-night, after the show at the across-the-street restaurant where MIKA showed up. Good thing too, cause I could have died when MIKA's mum--who had very big hair that night--sat down at the table MIKA was at--completely blocking my very good view of Mr. "M" . . .

PS: Even though we decided not to approach MIKA during his family-time,

we were unable to keep our eyes off of him and

there was something pretty neat about being in,

and enjoying food/drink,

in the same space as he and his party were also!

:lmfao: Excuses, excuses!

And you showed a lot of restraint to not go drool all over Mika + fam. That's SO GREAT--I know a lot of people would not have done the same thing. And even if you didn't get to talk to him, at least he remembered your sister's walking stick! :roftl:

It was a pretty good NYC visit:

Hope I can make the Radio City Music Hall one this summer.

Getting to be a little more comfortable in NYC and have already

alerted my regular "keepers" of the event (no date yet.)

They have friends in NYC who have a new baby they want to visit,

+ they want to visit some of the Art Museums there, so it's looking good!

[i DO wish MIKA would re-visit Washington, D.C.

-- Even the Beatles came to DC!

MIKA previously played the "9:30 Club" in DC

-- right before I learned of him!]

Post-gig depression

the following day-

ml6du.jpg

TOO, TOO SAD!

Oh, Alice, I want to go to the NYC show as well! Obviously we don't have many details yet, but SEE YOU THERE!! :biggrin2:

And PGD... :tears: I'm sorry! It's rubbish!

*______ * :puppy_eyes: *______* :puppy_eyes: *_______* :puppy_eyes: *_______* :puppy_eyes: *_______*

And you showed a lot of restraint to not go drool all over Mika + fam. That's SO GREAT--I know a lot of people would not have done the same thing. And even if you didn't get to talk to him, at least he remembered your sister's walking stick! :roftl:

Well, I DO wonder if we could have managed it if we had not earlier each spoken briefly to MIKA at the little "meet & greet" inside the theater for that purpose after his performance. :winksmiley02:

Oh, Alice, I want to go to the NYC show as well! Obviously we don't have many details yet, but SEE YOU THERE!! :biggrin2:

DEAL! :thumb_yello:

*______ * :puppy_eyes: *______* :puppy_eyes: *_______* :puppy_eyes: *_______* :puppy_eyes: *_______*

Edited by A. Clay

Well, I DO wonder if we could have managed it if we had not earlier each spoken briefly to MIKA at the little "meet & greet" inside the theater for that purpose after his performance. :winksmiley02:

Ha ha! I know what you mean! I'm surprised you still did manage it though-- the boy's like a frickin magnet!

DEAL! :thumb_yello:

:biggrin2: Can't wait! Also--I'm in DC again this Spring ... got any recommendations?

• 10 months later...

Tomorrow is international Relive-the-best-day-of-your-life day!

I know I'll be attending. :wub2:

Cannot believe that one year ago I was walking past the Fox Theater in the nighttime, scoping out where it was and where Mika would be in 24 hours.

Tomorrow is international Relive-the-best-day-of-your-life day!

I know I'll be attending. :wub2:

Cannot believe that one year ago I was walking past the Fox Theater in the nighttime, scoping out where it was and where Mika would be in 24 hours.

KIRA! :huglove:

I can't wait to do this relive-the-best-day-of-your-life day either. I'm so glad I was able to experience your first Mika gig with you. :D

KIRA! :huglove:

I can't wait to do this relive-the-best-day-of-your-life day either. I'm so glad I was able to experience your first Mika gig with you. :D

I am glad too! I can't believe that one year ago today, we were eating pizza and buying batteries for Andrew. And painting our faces, and napping, and relieving ourselves at Sears, and and and ... :wub2:

Best day ever. :biggrin2:

I am glad too! I can't believe that one year ago today, we were eating pizza and buying batteries for Andrew. And painting our faces, and napping, and relieving ourselves at Sears, and and and ... :wub2:

Best day ever. :biggrin2:

AJKFBSDGKJ!! So many memories. I forgot about Sears! We seriously went in there about 20 times. That has to be one of the best queuing days I've ever experienced. :teehee: Right now, I'm actually wearing the black sweater thing I bought from that Sears. :blush-anim-cl:

WHAT I WOULDN'T DO TO BE WATCHING MIKA SING "TOUCHES YOU" LIVE RIGHT NOW.

• 4 months later...
  • 7 years later...

REVIEW

San Francisco Chronicle

• 26 Oct 2009

490261281_SanFranciscoChronicle26Oct2009.thumb.png.d2ea8ccccda4a617af10a729c8167a42.png

https://pressreader.com/

Mika shrugs off foot injury with a stunning set at the Fox

Even with a couple of newly torn tendons in his foot and numbed by painkillers, the Beirut-born talent turbine known as Mika proved himself one of pop music’s most indefatigable showmen Saturday night with a blazing hourlong show at Oakland’s Fox Theater.

Toward the end of the 17song set, the lanky Londoner was visibly limping, his mop of curls flattened against his forehead by sweat, and the slash of garish red makeup on his cheekbone long melted away. And while he may not have jumped quite as high as when he played the Fillmore on the crest of his 2007 debut album, “Life in Cartoon Motion,” he still came back for a three-song encore, with the inevitable “Grace Kelly” and “Lollipop” bringing it all to a thundering close.

After a modest opening set by newcomer Gary Go, it took three songs from “Cartoon Motion” — “Relax, Take It Easy,” “Big Girl (You Are Beautiful)” and “Stuck in the Middle” — before Mika (too conveniently likened to Freddie Mercury) lit into “Dr. John” from his new CD, “The Boy Who Knew Too Much.”

Swinging a ribbon-festooned crutch and donning a series of jackets over his trademark white pants and shirt, he stalked the split-level stage beneath a kind of mini solar system of planetlike orbs that glowed iridescently in the swirling rainbow of stage lights.

When he launched into the ridiculously infectious “Blame It on the Girls” from the new CD, he divided the audience into two groups, one side assigned to sing the title lyric, and the other to take the comeback, “Blame it on the boys.” At the height of frenzy in “Love Today,” he had the virtually the entire Fox audience jumping in unison.

The energy level was maxi- mal from the first song through the last, with only a small respite with “Toy Boy” — on the surface a happy children’s song, but darkened with lyrics that talk about loss, loneliness and abandonment.

More introspective songs in his repertoire would have to wait for another day. Even “Billy Brown,” the deceptively chirpy song about a closeted married man, was given a high-octane arrangement. But if anyone missed the quieter Mika, no one was complaining

Even when not dealing with torn tendons, Mika is a trouper, in the old-time showbiz sense of the word. Unlike so many contemporary performers who seem to feel the need to distance themselves from their audience, at almost every turn, you see Mika bending toward his fans, stretching his arms out as if trying to gather them in his embrace. Like an old British music hall star, he’s out to Despite torn tendons in his foot, Mika powered through a 17-song set at Oakland’s Fox Theater with the aid of a crutch. entertain and nothing will stop him.

At the end of the show, huge white balloons were launched to drift over the heads and waving arms of the audience, as if the “planets” suspended above the stage had been jarred loose from their orbits by the gravitydefying energy and vocal pyrotechnics of the limping, multi-octave singer in white.

• Like 1

REVIEW

SF GATE

https://www.sfgate.com/music/article/Music-review-Foot-injury-can-t-stop-Mika-3212162.php

Music review: Foot injury can't stop Mika

• By David Wiegand
  • Published 4:00 am PDT, Monday, October 26, 2009

Mika performs Oct. 24 at the Fox Theater in Oakland

Even with a couple of newly torn tendons in his foot and numbed by painkillers, the Beirut-born talent turbine known as Mika proved himself one of pop music's most indefatigable showmen Saturday night with a blazing hourlong show at Oakland's Fox Theater.

Toward the end of the 17-song set, the lanky Londoner was visibly limping, his mop of curls flattened against his forehead by sweat, and the slash of garish red makeup on his cheekbone long melted away. And while he may not have jumped quite as high as when he played the Fillmore on the crest of his 2007 debut album, "Life in Cartoon Motion," he still came back for a three-song encore, with the inevitable "Grace Kelly" and "Lollipop" bringing it all to a thundering close.

After a modest opening set by newcomer Gary Go, it took three songs from "Cartoon Motion" - "Relax, Take It Easy," "Big Girl (You Are Beautiful)" and "Stuck in the Middle" - before Mika (too conveniently likened to Freddie Mercury) lit into "Dr. John" from his new CD, "The Boy Who Knew Too Much."

Swinging a ribbon-festooned crutch and donning a series of jackets over his trademark white pants and shirt, he stalked the split-level stage beneath a kind of mini solar system of planetlike orbs that glowed iridescently in the swirling rainbow of stage lights.

When he launched into the ridiculously infectious "Blame It on the Girls" from the new CD, he divided the audience into two groups, one side assigned to sing the title lyric, and the other to take the comeback, "Blame it on the boys." At the height of frenzy in "Love Today," he had the virtually the entire Fox audience jumping in unison.

The energy level was maximal from the first song through the last, with only a small respite with "Toy Boy" - on the surface a happy children's song, but darkened with lyrics that talk about loss, loneliness and abandonment.

More introspective songs in his repertoire would have to wait for another day. Even "Billy Brown," the deceptively chirpy song about a closeted married man, was given a high-octane arrangement. But if anyone missed the quieter Mika, no one was complaining.

Even when not dealing with torn tendons, Mika is a trouper, in the old-time showbiz sense of the word. Unlike so many contemporary performers who seem to feel the need to distance themselves from their audience, at almost every turn, you see Mika bending toward his fans, stretching his arms out as if trying to gather them in his embrace. Like an old British music hall star, he's out to entertain and nothing will stop him.

At the end of the show, huge white balloons were launched to drift over the heads and waving arms of the audience, as if the "planets" suspended above the stage had been jarred loose from their orbits by the gravity-defying energy and vocal pyrotechnics of the limping, multi-octave singer in white.

• Like 1

• silver changed the title to 2009 - REPORTS/VIDEOS/PHOTOS for Oct. 24 Mika in Oakland, CA at Fox Theater