2009 - REPORTS/VIDEOS/PHOTOS for Oct. 24 Mika in Oakland, CA at Fox Theater

dcdeb

Here's some of them right now:

They're taking forever :aah::naughty:

thanks nono :flowers2:

120.jpg

The card that Clare (lovempls), Sivan and I made that 170ish people from the queue signed. We gave it to Mika at the post gig m+g. Will let Clare post the pics of us actually giving it to him.

what a lovely card! cant wait to see clare's pics!

Firstly, Oakland? Really Mika? This town was like a ghost town and very...interesting. It was a so ghetto, but the Fox Theater was AMAZING! I'm in love with it.

I shall begin my reportage...

I woke up at 4:30-5am to catch mu first ever flight from LAX to San Francisco Airport with Christine, Mana, Andrew, Brittany, and Karin. We were all so exhausted, but we made it! I love flying! Then we had to take the Bart which is this train-like system that runs throughout SF and Oakland. After Mana, Andrew, and Karin entered, the doors closed before Brittany, Christine and I could get in. It was sort of funny. After about 20 minutes or so, another one came by and it took a while to get to Oakland, but we made it! We went to "check-in" at the venue first. Was great to see Kira and Indy (superstar and 77red) again! I was very excited for them since it was their first time seeing Mika. Also said hi to Clare, Taylor (lovempls, lollipopgirl83), and Sivan again who'd been driving all night from the LA gig to get there.

We left the queue for a bit to check in to our hotel and drop our stuff off, then went back to the queue. The thing about Oakland is that there are not very many shops or restaurants, so we went on a wild goose chase to try and find one. I had a veggie burger which I immediately regretted when I felt the familiar nausea start up again. Got back to the queue and waited around some. John was chatting to some of the girls when we came back. I love that man; he's hilarious. When his phone started ringing I automatically reached for my phone because I heard Mika, but then I see John pull out his cellphone and WAG is blasting from it :roftl:. Sarac came later and brought a bunch of fun things like silly string (he used some of it during the gig), glow necklaces, blacklight face paint, etc. Thanks for all the stuff, Sara! At around 4-6pm I became very nauseous, as usual, and called my mom. She recommended that I buy some medicine, and luckily there was a Rite-Aid by the venue. Brittany came with me and I bought some ginger gum and ginger ale. I didn't expect it to help, but by the time we were let in I felt much better! Thank God for ginger ale.

I was by the left side of the stage, along with Kira, Brittany, Indy, and Katrien. There was a photographer in front of us so I asked her if she'd be posting her pictures from the gig online. She said yes and that they would be on "SFsation.com" but I can't find anything like that. I'm most likely spelling it wrong. She took a picture of us though, so that was sweet.

After befriending one of the security guards, Gary Go finally came on. I don't know what it is, but I quite like him. Yeah, he's no Mika, but he sings a certain way that I really like which I refer to as "yell singing." I think it's how a lot of non-trained singers sing. I can't really explain it, but if you listen to Freddie Mercury or Keane then you might understand what I'm talking about. He talked to the audience a little bit, and during his song "Brooklyn" (I think it was that one) where he plays the song on his iPhone app, he accidentally exited out of it and was like "Oops, I closed the app!" and then he continued. I really love "Wonderful".

As everyone knows, the 30 minutes before Mika comes on and they're setting up the stage is the worst!

I was still trying to picture in my mind how Mika was going to perform with a sprained ankle, but low and behold, there he was in his astronaut costume, limping in the back of the stage. Ah, Bless him. He wore pants underneath it this time rather than boxers and I'm sure it was because of his bulky foot brace. Then 'Relax' begins and Mika comes running out like usual with his suitcase. I think we (at least, MFC) were all in shock at that point. He was moving around quite well despite the sprained ankle. He was being very cheeky though and kept raising his bad foot into the air. You could tell it was hard on him though because he was already dripping in sweat after two or three songs. We got lots of eye contact :wub2:. He made a joke about the miming accusation before SITM I think. He's quite upset about it, and I would be too if I were him. I don't want to go into a long rant, but I would just like to say that whoever said he was miming are complete ignorant f*ckers.

At one point I think Mika forgot he had a bad ankle and tried to stand on his toes, but immediately he looked at Erika and mouthed "Oww!" I wanted to slap him, as I'm sure all of MFC did. He needs to be careful! :no:

And during LT he made us all close our eyes and said "On the count of three you're all going to jump....including me" or something along those lines. The MFCers all shouted "NOOO!" That boy is a hazard to himself!

During 'I See You' my eyes started tearing up, which was kind of unexpected. At the LA gig I started to tear up during 'Toy Boy,' but this time it was 'I See You.'

WAG was amazing, of course. Definitely one of my favorites live! It's such a euphoric feeling to have a room of people yelling out this empowering message. It makes you feel like you can do anything.

Then Mika leaves and comes back to do GK, I think. I'm sorry to say it, but I wouldn't mind if he got rid of GK and BB from the set list. It might have something to do with the fact that they're so hard to sing and I'm jealous that I can't. I'd rather hear GGG, to be honest. :teehee:

During 'Lollipop' they released the big balloons, and Mika accidentally popped one when he kicked it with his studded shoes. Near the end, David (a.k.a. Sunshine) threw one over and I think it hit Kira in the face, but they made up via air kisses :das:.

I have a new ritual where I always have to ask for a cup of ice from the bar when the gig ends. It helps the nausea :naughty:

Andrew joined us at the front and gave MFC wristbands for the M&G. We were led to this basement under the venue in a room full of round tables. Some people were already there, and they kept looking at us with amused faces, ha.

Then Allison would call up table by table and they would form a line to meet Mika who was around the corner.

She saved MFC for last and I know I mention this in every gig report, but I love that woman. She's awesome, as are all of Mika Team, basically. Don't know about everyone else, but my "meeting" with him was very awkward. Usually I give Mika a hug when I see him and he hugs me back too, but this time he was sort of hesitant so I felt creepy. I looked at his foot and was just like "Mikaaa....:no:". I told him how I forgot the necklaces I made him in LA, but showed him pictures of them that Clare took on her camera and explained the concept of them. I think I asked him a few times "Are you okay?" in regards to his foot. I must have been annoying. I thanked him and started walking away, but John stopped me and asked if I wanted a picture and I said "Well only if he wants one..." and John was like "Of course!" Sure, John :naughty:

Since I was already holding Clare's camera, I just used hers to take it. Thanks, Clare! It took a few seconds to take it so Mika's arm remained on my shoulder. :teehee:

Then I said bye and told him I hoped he'd feel better.

The MFCers chatted outside the venue for a bit and then we said our goodbyes and headed back for the hotel. It was really great meeting you all. Seriously.

This part is not Mika-related, so if you have work you should be doing, feel free to stop reading my report now.

Kira, Indy, Christine, Mana, Andrew, and I all headed back to our hotel and parted ways with the two no-longer-Mika-gig-virgins Texans and went to bed. In the morning, Christine, Mana, Andrew, and I headed down to breakfast and later checked out of our hotel and got back on the Bart to get to San Francisco. After having gotten on the Bart and traveling a couple of miles, we found out we were going the wrong way. Poor Andrew will never hear the end of it, I'm sure. :roftl:

Eventually we made it to SF and found a bus to take to their hotel. We proceeded by walking around before they had to take me to the airport. What I've learned from SF: There are lots of HILLS. At the top it smells like piss and at the bottom it smells like sh*t. Literally. Or maybe it was just the part we were in. I thought I was going to die walking up that f*cking hill. However, when we finally made it to the top, there was a beautiful view of the Golden Gate Bridge. Then we walked all the way down and paused at the beach for a little. Time was going by quickly so we had to try and get a ride on the cable cars (is that what it's called?). They were taking too long so we just decided to catch a cab and went straight for the airport. It was a very emotional goodbye. I really wanted to stay with them and go to Seattle too, but I could only push my mom so far. My crying didn't really have all that much to do with Mika. It was my lovely Canadians I was sad to say bye to. Thank you guys again for everything. Best travel buddies ever! And congratulations on sending me back in one piece.

I pretty much cried the whole plane ride back.

It was really cool to see all the city lights from an aeriel point of view, though. Now I'm back home and missing everyone.

But yes, I'm am so happy I went. Mika is a shining light that will never burnout, that's for sure.

Oh God, now I sound like a music reviewer...

Awww....Nono....*sniffle*

Was just about to post that :naughty:

I love your astronaut pic! :fangurl:

Me too! I liked that lady a lot. Our new friend. :wub2:

Ah, I remember that photographer...looks like I wasn't out of frame in your guy's picture after all. Thought I was in the clear :naughty: And I do remember Mika giving you lots of eye contact so it wasn't imaginary.

Here's that picture of you superstar. I had more pictures from earlier but it looks like my camera malfunctioned or something.

DSCF0018.jpg

Awww thanks for posting! The streetlight looks cool in the back :naughty:

Here's some of them right now:

They're taking forever :aah::naughty:

:bow:

Just found this other review, don't know if it's been posted already!

http://spinningplatters.com/2009/10/25/show-review-mika-at-the-fox-oakland-10242009/

:thumb_yello: the beginning scared me, but it funneled into a good review.

Good review!

"The start of the show found me in the photo area, for three songs, stuck in between the most adorable, enthusiastic, young fangirls and the stage." :naughty: YAY!

"During the intro to “Love Today” his voice completely gave out. But he managed to clear his throat, laugh about it, and continue on with the show.

As always, the crowd seemed to love him more for this moment of humanity and danced along fanatically through the whole song, especially towards the end when Mika commands the crowd to close their eyes and on the count of three, JUMP!" Hahaha. NO MIKA NO!!:shocked: DON'T JUMP!:naughty:

Ladies and Gentlemen, the best text I have ever received, courtesy of the Toaster (while waiting for Mika to come onstage :thumb_yello:) :

100_3253.jpg

....... ok I give in. :roftl: But if he objects I'm taking it down!

100_3254.jpg

:lmfao:

And if he objects, I'll put them right back! HIGH-sterical! Andrew is

just the best Toaster ever! :roftl:

Ooh, these are so great!!! Thanks for posting them!

I've been watching so many of these. It's helping and hurting my PMD haha.

I find it helpful. If you try to push it away it only hurts more. Watching vids and looking at pics has been very therapeutic.

I'm trying to upload my pictures onto Photobucket, but I've already but my pictures from the whole weekend on Facebook. They're small and not very good quality, but they're all there!

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2021540&id=1276530133&l=21584a8153

Yeah, photobucket takes awhile to load pics up...but the quality becomes sooo much better than facebook.:biggrin2:

I'm trying to upload my pictures onto Photobucket, but I've already but my pictures from the whole weekend on Facebook. They're small and not very good quality, but they're all there!

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2021540&id=1276530133&l=21584a8153

Those are really awesome. I love the one of you and Mika, the sinister one.

Where were the Mika-esque keychains at?! So cute!

I find it helpful. If you try to push it away it only hurts more. Watching vids and looking at pics has been very therapeutic.

^yep yep.

Vids and just talking about it got me through the last 2 days (as sad as it sounds) because then they become nice memories instead of a dream you desperately want back, leaving you feeling all empty inside. :blush-anim-cl:

^yep yep.

Vids and just talking about it got me through the last 2 days (as sad as it sounds) because then they become nice memories instead of a dream you desperately want back, leaving you feeling all empty inside. :blush-anim-cl:

My thoughts exactly.:wink2: Reliving them makes them sweet memories, not something painful. That was my mistake last time.

Those are really awesome. I love the one of you and Mika, the sinister one.

Where were the Mika-esque keychains at?! So cute!

LOL have you seen A Clockwork Orange? It's totally perfect for the character I was dressed up as :naughty:

The keychains were at a little shop on Fisherman's Wharf in San Francisco, they were perfect for Mika!

^yep yep.

I agree. Talking about it with all of you guys makes me feel all warm and fuzzy about it, as opposed to being sad that it's over. :)