REPORT/PICS/VIDS: MIKA - O2 Academy Newcastle, FEB 24 -2010

guylainem123

Everyone who was at the stage door met him- BUT for some reason he is contractually forbidden to sign exercise books which might have caused hard feelings :dunno: though he signed other things and sometimes wrote notes in the exercise books. You could buy signed books for £15 and those seemed to be the ones he wrote in, but we couldn't really work out what his system was, though he did seem to have one

people at later gigs poosibly need to be aware of this

hmm... so he's not allowed to sign exercise books because they want to sell their signed ones at the merch stand? pfft. can understand that some might be annoyed by that, hope this wasn't mika's idea. but then, 15£ is not that much more than 8£, so it's 7£ for the signature, that's not too bad. they should tell people about it though, i also would've bought a normal exercise book in the hope he'd add a personal signature for me in it. if they tell people about it, well, that's marketing. but if they don't, they'll annoy the fans. really wonder who is responsible for that.

• Replies 333
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

hmm... so he's not allowed to sign exercise books because they want to sell their signed ones at the merch stand? pfft. can understand that some might be annoyed by that, hope this wasn't mika's idea. but then, 15£ is not that much more than 8£, so it's 7£ for the signature, that's not too bad. they should tell people about it though, i also would've bought a normal exercise book in the hope he'd add a personal signature for me in it. if they tell people about it, well, that's marketing. but if they don't, they'll annoy the fans. really wonder who is responsible for that.

I got a presigned exercise book and it's got little drawings by Mika on it and stickers and I love it.

But I only went to the merch stand yesterday because I forgot to bring one of the ones I bought in Leeds up to get it signed- which is poss just as well. Freddie will know more about it than me, because I didn't ask mika to sign mine again

i got my poster signed :biggrin2:

good to hear that he's allowed to sign those... i want one signed in munich. :wub2:

btw, can you (or someone else who got it) please tell me what size those posters are? i remember them quite huge, but i hope it's not much bigger than the LICM one i have. :blink:

good pic for a caption... wonka? :das::naughty:

Do, did, done!:mf_rosetinted:

Everyone who was at the stage door met him- BUT for some reason he is contractually forbidden to sign exercise books which might have caused hard feelings :dunno: though he signed other things and sometimes wrote notes in the exercise books. You could buy signed books for £15 and those seemed to be the ones he wrote in, but we couldn't really work out what his system was, though he did seem to have one

people at later gigs poosibly need to be aware of this

:blink:

:thumb_yello:

Do, did, done!:mf_rosetinted:

:naughty:

haha, love this pic! :lmfao:

P1020507.jpg

aww :sad: makes me feel so sorry for him when he's lying there like that! though i know it's just acting. argh. :aah: does a video of this scene (at any of the shows where they did it) exist anywhere yet? :blink:

P1020594.jpg

that pic... :naughty:

P1020636.jpg

http://www.whatsonne.co.uk/gb/music/reviews-and-previews/review-mika-o2-academy-newcastle

Review: Mika, O2 Academy, Newcastle

By Nicola Fish, Evening Chronicle

On February 25, 2010

SOLD Out! So the sign screamed, and of course the line that circled around the Academy was proof enough.

With fans lined up aged seven to 70, Mika has a broad appeal and I was about to find out why.

The show began with a curtain falling, revealing the huge screen covered with Mika’s animated cartoons. As an eerie French song screeches to a climax and the cartoons scribble wildly out of control, out bursts Mika starting the show with Rain, which includes the lyrics of ‘I hate days like this’ and which doesn’t seem like an obvious choice.

It’s not, but that’s why it works because one thing Mika is not is predictable.

With crowd pleasers like Big Girls Any Other World, Mika showcased his wide range of depth and emotion and you could tell he believed in every single word he sang.

His conversation with the audience was minimal but it didn’t matter as the songs spoke for themselves.

With limited props (a giant inflatable leg and an umbrella) and no real costume changes, the spotlight was on Mika.

Barely pausing to take a breath, time sped by as he belted out hit after future hit.

In the music industry where style is often chosen over substance, it was refreshing to see someone perform in such a free, unrestrained style.

There was no choreography; everything just seemed to happen organically.

Mika is very much an in the moment performer and does what he wants without alienating the audience. Part of his appeal is the fact he doesn’t take himself too seriously. He openly admits to the audience that he always screws up his part on the piano and that he’s trying to hide that he needs to wipe his nose!

All this meant the audience was like putty in his hands. Even the dreaded ‘I’m going to sing some new songs’ was met with cheers and the audience sang along with every tune. Mika’s care-free attitude was infectious, from the butch man with his wife who knew all the words to ‘Everybody’s going to love today’ to the woman swaying in the completely wrong direction.

Ending with a confetti strewn performance of Golden and an amazing encore of Grace Kelly and Lollipop, the crowd were left wishing this was one party that would never end.

They would have been right at the front of the queue :naughty:

We really ought to wear the flashing hearts or get some new badges made.

yeah, what happened to the badges? :blink: is there a reason why they're not sold anymore? it's not just because of the new design i guess, as the link to buy them already disappeared quite a while ago. :dunno:

yeah, what happened to the badges? :blink: is there a reason why they're not sold anymore? it's not just because of the new design i guess, as the link to buy them already disappeared quite a while ago. :dunno:

those badges are how i found out about here :biggrin2:

Maybe the firm that made them went out of business :dunno:

If we had the right artwork, it shouldn't be too hard to get some made. I know a lot of MFCers, but there are lots I have never met, it would help if we could recognise each other somehow.

we've been asking to TM for a while, as the 'MFC brand' is not ours anymore :pinkbow:

they are clearly too busy with the new tour, and are delaying a reply :biggrin2:

as soon as we get some info, there'll be a thread up in a minute!

edit: but of course, you can always wear the old ones, if you still have them

Edited by robertina

we've been asking to TM for a while, as the 'MFC brand' is not ours anymore :pinkbow:

they are clearly too busy with the new tour, and are delaying a reply :biggrin2:

as soon as we get some info, there'll be a thread up in a minute!

Thanks for the info, Robi :biggrin2:

Well, I still have some spare flashing hearts :wink2: