German SZ Magazine 26.2.10: with pic of mika as a child

mellody

someone has posted this article on DMFC, thought i'd share :bleh:: http://sz-magazin.sueddeutsche.de/texte/anzeigen/32857

a photo from mika and zuleika when they were kids, aww, how cute!! :wub2::wub2: i had so hoped he'd once "officially" show some pix from his childhood, and finally we got one, it says it's from 1987:

23812.jpg

:wub2:

the other pic in the article is this one:

23813.jpg

the article is published in the category "fashion", and mika talks about his childhood, and his style now (that he has none :bleh:). i'm afraid i don't have time right now to translate, am busy packing etc., but i'll post the google translation for you and if i have time later will adjust it so it sounds right. :wink2: (or maybe there are other germans online who have time?)

"You should not look different to attract attention, but because you really are different "

The singer Mika about his pop-cultural heroes, priests and ordinary Lebanese classmates.

The photo shows me and my little sister Zuleika. We were living in Paris. My mother made clothes for children who have been sold, for example in the Galeries Lafayette. In our home worked day and night Schneider. There was anarchy and chaos. I could design my own clothing. I prefer wearing short pants, ruffled shirts and fly about, as my older sisters.

Directly below us lived Madame Mitterrand, the wife of French president. Every time he came into the apartment, we were trampling wildly around on the floor in order to annoy his bodyguards.

A strong sense of fashion I never had. Even fashion magazines, I have never read, but rather with toy guns and played fireworks. To buy the idea of fashion in an expensive store, bored just like the fashion shows, took me to my mother if she had no babysitter for me. I sat nose-picking in the Dior show, and hoped it was soon over. I hated it.

But the singers Nina Simone and I have loved Barbara. Both had short, black hair, black painted eyes, a classic, timeless look. And their music was incredibly happy to be sad. The two were my pop-culture heroines. Men, I found what style was concerned, far less interesting. The only one who really made an impression on me with his clothes, was the Lebanese priest, who came three times a week for us.

When we moved to London, I was the outsider in school. The cool kids were very mean to me. I wanted to hide myself, I clung to the school uniform.

One day we performed cabaret. I played a heroin-addicted, self-destructive, totally androgynous announcer and drove it to the extreme tip. From then on, they let me alone. I had gone so far that it had received the people with fear.

A Goth or punk, I never was. One should not look different to attract attention, but only because it actually is different. Trends mean nothing to me and I did not have their own style. I had never and I will never have. I have clothes that I like, that's it.

---

Mika, 26, Lebanese-American pop musician, was also with his latest single, "Rain will" land again a hit. Of 20 to 30 March, he is on tour in Germany.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply
someone has posted this article on DMFC, thought i'd share :bleh:: http://sz-magazin.sueddeutsche.de/texte/anzeigen/32857

a photo from mika and zuleika when they were kids, aww, how cute!! :wub2::wub2: i had so hoped he'd once "officially" show some pix from his childhood, and finally we got one, it says it's from 1987:

23812.jpg

23813.jpg

the article is published in the category "fashion", and mika talks about his childhood, and his style now (that he has none :bleh:). i'm afraid i don't have time right now to translate, am busy packing etc., but i'll post the google translation for you and if i have time later will adjust it so it sounds right. :wink2: (or maybe there are other germans online who have time?)

"You should not look different to attract attention, but because you really are different "

The singer Mika about his pop-cultural heroes, priests and ordinary Lebanese classmates.

The photo shows me and my little sister Zuleika. We were living in Paris. My mother made clothes for children who have been sold, for example in the Galeries Lafayette. In our home worked day and night Schneider. There was anarchy and chaos. I could design my own clothing. I prefer wearing short pants, ruffled shirts and fly about, as my older sisters.

Directly below us lived Madame Mitterrand, the wife of French president. Every time he came into the apartment, we were trampling wildly around on the floor in order to annoy his bodyguards.

A strong sense of fashion I never had. Even fashion magazines, I have never read, but rather with toy guns and played fireworks. To buy the idea of fashion in an expensive store, bored just like the fashion shows, took me to my mother if she had no babysitter for me. I sat nose-picking in the Dior show, and hoped it was soon over. I hated it.

But the singers Nina Simone and I have loved Barbara. Both had short, black hair, black painted eyes, a classic, timeless look. And their music was incredibly happy to be sad. The two were my pop-culture heroines. Men, I found what style was concerned, far less interesting. The only one who really made an impression on me with his clothes, was the Lebanese priest, who came three times a week for us.

When we moved to London, I was the outsider in school. The cool kids were very mean to me. I wanted to hide myself, I clung to the school uniform.

One day we performed cabaret. I played a heroin-addicted, self-destructive, totally androgynous announcer and drove it to the extreme tip. From then on, they let me alone. I had gone so far that it had received the people with fear.

A Goth or punk, I never was. One should not look different to attract attention, but only because it actually is different. Trends mean nothing to me and I did not have their own style. I had never and I will never have. I have clothes that I like, that's it.

---

Mika, 26, Lebanese-American pop musician, was also with his latest single, "Rain will" land again a hit. Of 20 to 30 March, he is on tour in Germany.

Thanks for posting Mellody! :wub2: Very interesting article and the pics are really amazing.:blush-anim-cl: This is not one of those stupid interviews like we used to read, but very intimate image of his childhood. I love German press, they never present Mika as a moron.:naughty:

23812.jpg

23813.jpg

---

Thank you so much for sharing this:wub2: :huglove: I love Mika and I love baby the interview is very interesting as well:thumb_yello:

Thanks for posting !!!

Maybe it's me and my lack of being around kids, but he looks so similar to how he does now. Apart from he's grown obviously lolz. I look at my pictures from when I was that young and I have changed loads.

And he sounds like me with my fashion taste coz I just buy clothes that I like too not coz they're in fashion etc. Hehe. But whether he intends to or not, he does have his own fashion, and I think it's wonderful. :original:

Archived