Hi guys,

Just wanted to let you know that I've changed the limits on thread tags,

since they seem to be a growing source of conflict with some.

Previously, a thread could have up to 25 tags, the thread starter could add 5

tags, and everyone else could add 2 per thread.

They are really are meant to be a helpful search tool, and it seems that

purpose has gotten lost. So I've changed the total limit per thread to

5 tags. Thread starters can add 5 tags, everyone else can only add 1 tag

per thread if the thread starter hasn't added 5 to begin with. I really hope

that at least one or two of the tags actually have something to do

with the content of the thread, and help make it easier for people

searching for something specific. :thumb_yello:

If you think that's too strict, we can certainly play with the numbers a

little, but I still think that 25 tags per thread is unnecessary and probably

won't change back to that.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

:thumb_yello:

I think it's fine this way .. And as you said, you can always play with it a little bit if that seems necessary :wink2:

EDIT: What's happening to old the threads with over 5 tags?

Good one!

I wanted to put a real tag in my thread but I can't because there are already more than 5 :aah: (if I delete a tag of my own that wouldn't make a difference..).

If you think that's too strict, we can certainly play with the numbers a

little, but I still think that 25 tags per thread is unnecessary and probably

won't change back to that.

Maybe 10 would be better? Just a suggestion... :thumb_yello:

You have to remember that tags are really a search tool, most people are using them just to add comments about the thread (I'm guilty too :blush-anim-cl:).

If we use them properly it shouldn't be a problem, we just have to get used to it.:naughty:

I can't see the point of this- 25 tags might not be necessary, but things that are fun don't have to be necessary. There's a tag on the oldlings right now reminding me that was missed when I was away- it made me happy when things aren't going well. Other tags are really funny, and can be seen for longer than a post- why let people who manage to turn them into a source of conflict (how? by making anonymous nasty comments?) determine MFC's policies and prevent most people from putting tags on

You know, for me personally it doesn't matter if there are 5 tags in a thread or 50 ... The fun goes away when people use the tags to get "messages" across, not so nice message, because it's funny because it's anonymous that way ... And it bothers me more if certain people (?) take those messages from one thread to another .. I don't see the point, if you have a problem with something than say it and talk about it with the people (or the mods) .. Don't abuse tags this way ...

And maybe I'm overreacting on this, but that's probably because it's kinda a personal thing ... I just really don't like it if my thread (or any thread I'm in) gets a bad atmosphere because of some people that don't dare (?) to say things out loud and abuse tags for that purpose .. Because people are going to wonder why those tags are there, who placed them and why .. And that's just not fun, in my opinion.

And I think if there's a limit of 5 (or 10) than there's a less chance that things will get out of hand, to say it this way ... It may sound worse than I want it to, but I don't know another way to put it :aah::teehee:

You know, for me personally it doesn't matter if there are 5 tags in a thread or 50 ... The fun goes away when people use the tags to get "messages" across, not so nice message, because it's funny because it's anonymous that way ... And it bothers me more if certain people (?) take those messages from one thread to another .. I don't see the point, if you have a problem with something than say it and talk about it with the people (or the mods) .. Don't abuse tags this way ...

And maybe I'm overreacting on this, but that's probably because it's kinda a personal thing ... I just really don't like it if my thread (or any thread I'm in) gets a bad atmosphere because of some people that don't dare (?) to say things out loud and abuse tags for that purpose .. Because people are going to wonder why those tags are there, who placed them and why .. And that's just not fun, in my opinion.

And I think if there's a limit of 5 (or 10) than there's a less chance that things will get out of hand, to say it this way ... It may sound worse than I want it to, but I don't know another way to put it :aah::teehee:

I don't think you're overreacting at all- but I think the answer is to follow the nornal disiplinary suspension procedure- and more sharply then if the comments weren't anonymous.

I think the answer is to follow the nornal disiplinary suspension procedure- and more sharply then if the comments weren't anonymous.

The tags are never completely anonymous --

mods can see who posted them. :original:

But I totally get what you're saying about the tags being a fun thing, and

not wanting to give them up. I mean, I remember when we didn't have

them at all, and what a novelty they were when we first were able to

use them. :naughty:

As I said in my first post, it's easy enough for us to change the numbers.

So I've increased the number of tags per thread, and changed the number

of tags each user can post to 2 per thread. And if we see any tags

that are a problem, we'll just delete them -- see how it goes. :thumb_yello:

The tags are never completely anonymous --

mods can see who posted them. :original:

But I totally get what you're saying about the tags being a fun thing, and

not wanting to give them up. I mean, I remember when we didn't have

them at all, and what a novelty they were when we first were able to

use them. :naughty:

As I said in my first post, it's easy enough for us to change the numbers.

So I've increased the number of tags per thread, and changed the number

of tags each user can post to 2 per thread. And if we see any tags

that are a problem, we'll just delete them -- see how it goes. :thumb_yello:

Aw, that's nice- we did get a bit carried away didn't we? Within what seemed like 3 minutes the aussies were complaining that 25 wasn't enough! But I like them.

And we do have a "remember mikahaven" tag which is ACTUALLY USED AS A TAG :shocked: Well nearly- it's a link rather than a tag but what they hey!

And I must admit I felt bad about that earlier post, because I reacted quickly and I know that mods are volunteers and don't have endless hours to go through processes and that sometimes they're quite justified in saying "tough, it's quicker to just limit tagging" or whatever, so thanks

Archived