2011 - MIKA @ Magic Numbers Secret Gig, London - 22 Jan REPORTS/PHOTOS/VIDEOS

Droopsy

like anybody here on this thread who did not attend this special / amazing / extraordinary / unique... gig, I'd also like to say thanks you to the mfcers who shared their pics, videos, feelings with us... I think it's important for us because as I read some reports, watch some vids, I had some chills behind my laptop :blush-anim-cl:...

Thanks to you Tiibet, Suzie, Sephira, Silver, Axie Dentelle, Nanou :wub2:

Now, looking forward the officals videos of all the gig :mf_lustslow:...(and I do not give up my hope on the acoustic tour at ALL!!! No way. He has to do it and in June, because after I should work one full year with no holidays so pleaaaaaaaase... keep hoping with me !!)

Edited by Edoclaire

The only thing is, he either forgot the lyrics or sang the wrong words for almost every song he performed :roftl:

Well yes but isn't that part of the reason why we all love him? :teehee:

can we add an "as always"?? :aah: :aah:

Yes. We should. It fits in that sentence pretty well. :roftl:

My theses: It was Mika's evil twin, playing the MN gig.

An earring, no curls, forgetting the lyrics? ...Seriously:mf_rosetinted:

And Mika, if it was really you on that gig; one earring is just the beginning. Here's a future scene of what you will look like in a few years (or just months?)

r72a14.jpg

(Is there anyone who has the original pic? I overwrote it accidentally)

Edited by Lee-Ann

And Mika, if it was really you on that gig; one earring is just the beginning. Here's a future scene of what you will look like in a few years (or just months?)

r72a14.jpg

:lmfao::lmao::aah::roftl:

:thumb_yello:

:lmfao:

r72a14.jpg

(Is there anyone who has the original pic? I overwrote it accidentally)

I dunno, but either way he's still Mika. And still hot. :aah::wub2:

This was one of the best gig experiences ever, not just because of the amazing show but because it was so relaxed and fun. I know there was some concern that no familiar faces would be among the winners but I knew or knew of just about everyone there and it was nice to be at a gig without the usual anxiety and competitiveness that comes along with getting in the doors.

I met up with Lui, Anastasia, Tiibet and their guests along with Axie's guests on Friday and it was so nice to see everyone inside a nice warm restaurant instead of outside in a queue! We still didn't know where the venue was but we were scheduled to meet Team Mika at 1 pm the next day.

There was no winners list distributed before but we knew Olga was also coming and when LeiRe and her guests arrived we figured this was the guestlist for the event. Team Mika arrived and gave us wristbands and walked us a few blocks to the venue and as you all know it looked like an actual living room which I think is everyone's dream come true.

I was happy to see a real piano and checked inside to make sure it was real strings and hammers and nothing electronic. Suzie and I sat down on some footstools behind the sofas so that the winners could sit up front but there wasn't a bad seat in the house so it was perfect. The champagne was already flowing and the waiter kept coming around to refill the glasses :teehee:

I believe there were 3 cameras and cameramen there (no Andy), 2 that looked like SLRs and one camcorder. I asked Team Mika what they were filming for and they said it was to show the other fans on Mikasounds. I expect it's going to be quite the professional production with so much equipment there.

Everyone else was taking pics, etc. while waiting for Mika and I took a photo of Olga, Fadette and Vanessa at the piano but we were told not to touch the piano and that Mika would be out in a few minutes :teehee:

Mika came out and all I saw was the earring :shocked: It wasn't until someone mentioned it here that I remembered that Melachi was with him and he was saying that if he let her loose she was going to eat all the snacks on the coffee tables.

For everyone who is saying they don't like Mika's hair or his earring or his shoes or whatever, I have to say just forget about pictures and videos. Mika is as gorgeous as ever in person and believe me if you see him you will not be moaning about his hair. He looks 24 again and his hair is still beautiful. :mf_lustslow:

Anyway...he called everyone to come closer and soon the piano was completely surrounded so the few people in the back couldn't see. Mika said "Uh this isn't going to work is it?" Um...no... :lmfao: Most people sat down on the floor or behind the piano and Suzie and I pulled our footstools in closer and were at the same level with Mika's piano stool so it couldn't have worked out better.

It's actually a shame that more people weren't invited because I think if half were seated on the floor and half were in chairs, there would have been plenty of space for others without diminishing the experience of the first group of winners/guests. But anyway...

You've all seen the amazing gig but highlights for me were:

• Realizing that it was truly acoustic. I really didn't expect this because we all know what Mika's idea of acoustic has been a massive stage full of people and equipment. But he didn't even use a microphone which I never would have imagined, especially since he ended up doing a full set and not just a couple of songs.

• His voice was quite restrained. I don't know if this was because he was saving it for the night time gig or because of the small acoustic setting but I've always wished he wouldn't strain his voice quite so hard because it sounds so soothing when it's softer - like his vocals on Satellite for example. He sang like this pretty much throughout the gig and it was wonderful.

• The requests. I started off requesting Relax which he played first and I'm the one who made the cheeky request for the Ace song and Suzie backed me up with the Beautiful song. Sadly he didn't go for it :crybaby: Suzie requested a couple of other songs - I think Toy Boy and asked him to do Happy Ending at the end, which he did. The side benefit was that when we were requesting the songs he would look to us for encouragement when he forgot the lyrics. He messed up so much on Toy Boy that he confused me too and I was like sorry I can't help you anymore! :aah:

• David. He was great! Loved the interaction with Mika. They have a great rapport. Of course Imma, Martin and Cherisse were great too, as always. I'm glad the band was there because it leant a lot of energy and buildup to some of the songs.

• Grace Kelly. The recorded version is one of my favourite songs of all time but to be honest it's been a disappointment to me during the gigs and I don't think I'd miss it if he dropped it from the setlist. But today was different. It sounded EXACTLY like the Jools Holland performance. I don't know if you can get a sense of this from the YouTube videos (as great as they are), but hopefully it will be clear in the professional videos.

• The flubs. Yes a part of me is like WTF? How can you not remember your own songs? But after 4 years I know it's just one of Mika's quirks and I find it endearing. It was especially entertaining in this setting and I think it would have come across like a boring recital without the improvisation and the inevitable mistakes that come with it.

• The Only Lonely One. Mika redeems himself in needing David to sort him out by teaching the band a new song on the fly. And a first ever performance for us. What an amazing treat!! Suzie recognized the song right away although I had no idea...ha! I really really loved it.

• Any Other World. It was just like those magical performances on the Dodgy Holiday Tour that I loved so much.

• Happy Ending. Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful. Mana would have cried.

I don't know if I just wasn't paying attention, but the gig seemed to end very abruptly with Mika just getting up and walking off. I drank too much champagne earlier so quickly ran off to the ladies room :teehee: Unfortunately they were taking the group pic without me!!

Before I left Imma and Cherisse came in and Imma was saying something about me coming all the way from Canada for the gig. I said Mika doesn't often come to Toronto so it's not like I have a choice...ha! Cherisse said that she recognized me from Toronto and came over to give me a hug, which was sweet because I haven't talked to her very often so I wouldn't have expected her to recognize me particularly.

I went back out and Mika was surrounded by fans of course but everyone seemed to be calm and respectful which was nice and I just wanted to hang back while the winners got their time and wait my turn. I was dying to see Melachi who is adorable. She's already used to having tons of people around and enjoyed the attention.

As I mentioned before Mika said that she had eaten a mouse which was quite shocking because she looks so innocent. I repeated it to someone on Mika's management team and she was horrified and told Melachi that they were no longer friends :shun:

I spoke to the sound guy who was fangurling over Mika which I found hilarious as he was most definitely not the Mika fan type. He said he didn't know much about Mika before but was thoroughly impressed with his performance during the gig and enjoyed it a lot. He said he is a fan for life now. He was also impressed with the fact that Mika had given this acoustic set away as a prize to his fans.

He said he was afraid that the sound wouldn't work out well because Mika wasn't using a microphone but apparently it was an excellent recording. He showed me that microphones had been positioned in the corners of the ceiling and now I'm a bit concerned of any ambient sound they may have picked up before the gig. I hope Mika is not going to get any raw audio since the place was bugged while we were all chatting :fisch:

Mika was still around the piano I think and I was at the other end of the room when he came running over to speak to a guy behind me. Lui had just shown him something amazing (I'll let her tell you about it) and he wanted the guy to see it. When he was done he stopped by me, Tiibet, Suzie and Anastasia (sorry there may have been others, but that's what I recall). I wanted the others to go first but after he spoke to Tiibet he turned to me like...what have you got for me? So I gave him a letter from a friend and some songs I have been meaning to put together for him for ages and never got around to. I figured this was my last chance and I'd surely get the opportunity to speak to him so I needed to just choose the songs and put them on a USB drive.

I had included a note but wanted to let him know the songs were from my favourite Canadian songwriters and they weren't my own unpublished songs or something because that can put an artist in an awkward position. Anyway he said he would listen to them without prompting so I hope he gets a chance and doesn't think they suck!

Eventually he made his way back over to the piano again and suddenly he was saying "Ciao!" and trying to leave. I was surprised because it didn't seem finished to me, although I hadn't really been keeping track of time and whether he had spoken to everyone or not. I've got pics of me and Mika so I don't need another one at all but I was disappointed to be left out of the group pic for posterity's sake (and now that it's been posted on Mikasounds, even moreso!!).

I had been hoping we could get one more group shot before he left. Someone told me that another fan had also been left out so Mika had taken a photo with her and I don't know how it happened but someone was telling Mika I had been left out of the group pic so he offered to pose for a pic with me. He had already said he wanted to go about 10 times by this point so I just sort of begged off because I wasn't looking for an individual pic. But he was like hurry up I have to go :aah: So a few of us got into a pic quickly and we ended up with a smaller group shot so it was all good!

Afterwards a few of us went to the Secret Tea Room across the street and boy was it secret! You had to notify a member of staff and they took us behind the bar and upstairs into a lovely little tea room and we had a bit of an afternoon tea and chat about the gig. Unfortunately I couldn't go to the MFC gathering later which was too bad because I knew they'd be sending champagne, but it was just as well since I had to fly in the morning and had drank enough champagne already :blush-anim-cl:

I ended up having a wonderful evening with some other MFCers and all in all it was a fantastic weekend and well worth the trip. I am grateful to Mika and Team for putting it all together and the other fans for making it an enjoyable experience and of course special thanks to the person who invited me and made it all possible. It was a very very unexpected and last minute surprise and it all worked out brilliantly.

AJAAAAAAAAAAAAAA! xD

cooperaste :aah:

y tu no le sacaste fotos antes??? me hubiera gustado verlo ^^

Mika malo! como le mientes a Lui!:sneaky2: no te preocupes cuando lo vea, le obligo a que lo suba :teehee:

jajajaja sii obligalo :mf_rosetinted:

hello ))

haven't transfered those few pics i have to my laptop yet...

still unpacking...

it was AMAZING gig!!! Mika is unbelievable in acoustic!!!!!

FANTASTIC meet-up with MFCers!!!

and really really great trip!!!

i will report properly with the pic later )

it was really amazing to meet you Asia :') you are so nice and sweet ^^

thanks for your beautiful pics! *O* but you just have those? don't you have any pic when he was with me watching my book? :teehee:

Amazing report Christine!! loved it! :mf_lustslow: very complete!! and detalied

nice to meet you too :biggrin2:

I will do my report and also I will upload a video of my pop-up book as soon as I can :thumb_yello: