2011 - MIKA @ Magic Numbers Secret Gig, London - 22 Jan REPORTS/PHOTOS/VIDEOS

Droopsy

well I don't whant to be repetitive but ....thanks everyone for the reports pics and the vids :wub2::fangurl::wub2:

all the vids and reports got my all :tears: emotional, our boy is so talented :fangurl:

+1 *feels like a proud and fangurling mother* :fangurl: :fangurl: :fangurl:

My theses: It was Mika's evil twin, playing the MN gig.

An earring, no curls, forgetting the lyrics? ...Seriously:mf_rosetinted:

And Mika, if it was really you on that gig; one earring is just the beginning. Here's a future scene of what you will look like in a few years (or just months?)

r72a14.jpg

What's this? Mika's turning into Adam Lambert? :lmfao:

• Happy Ending. Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful. Mana would have cried.

:lmfao: Yeah, you're probably right. :blush-anim-cl:

Thank you so much for such a detailed report! :wub2: I'm really hoping Mikasounds posts all the footage and not just some snippets. The YouTube vids people have posted are amazing of course, but to see a pro recording would be such a treat.

I agree with what you were saying about loving Mika's voice when it's more restrained like it was at this gig. It's fine for him to go all out when he's on a stage in front of thousands, but the way he sang at this gig was just so fitting. It's also funny you should mention that it was really acoustic. After the acoustic tour I started thinking that Mika's definition of "acoustic" simply meant "without backing tracks". :roftl:

I love the way some of the songs came together in what felt like a spontaneous random act of music. I can't believe Only Lonely One is just Mika singing and beating on the piano, David playing the same few chords over and over, and Cherisse playing that little drum thing. It's beyond my comprehension how something so simple can sound so good, but I just love it. :wub2:

The videos where he's standing behind the piano (Only Lonely One and Lollipop) remind me of those videos from Latitude where he was just standing behind a random piano in the woods, rocking out with a bunch of people. :naughty:

Mika came out and all I saw was the earring :shocked It wasn't until someone mentioned it here that I remembered that Melachi was with him and he was saying that if he let her loose she was going to eat all the snacks on the coffee tables.

For everyone who is saying they don't like Mika's hair or his earring or his shoes or whatever, I have to say just forget about pictures and videos. Mika is as gorgeous as ever in person and believe me if you see him you will not be moaning about his hair. He looks 24 again and his hair is still beautiful.

Anyway...he called everyone to come closer and soon the piano was completely surrounded so the few people in the back couldn't see. Mika said "Uh this isn't going to work is it?" Um...no... :lmfao: Most people sat down on the floor or behind the piano and Suzie and I pulled our footstools in closer and were at the same level with Mika's piano stool so it couldn't have worked out better.

It's actually a shame that more people weren't invited because I think if half were seated on the floor and half were in chairs, there would have been plenty of space for others without diminishing the experience of the first group of winners/guests. But anyway...

You've all seen the amazing gig but highlights for me were:

• Realizing that it was truly acoustic. I really didn't expect this because we all know what Mika's idea of acoustic has been a massive stage full of people and equipment. But he didn't even use a microphone which I never would have imagined, especially since he ended up doing a full set and not just a couple of songs.

• His voice was quite restrained. I don't know if this was because he was saving it for the night time gig or because of the small acoustic setting but I've always wished he wouldn't strain his voice quite so hard because it sounds so soothing when it's softer - like his vocals on Satellite for example. He sang like this pretty much throughout the gig and it was wonderful.

• The requests. I started off requesting Relax which he played first and I'm the one who made the cheeky request for the Ace song and Suzie backed me up with the Beautiful song. Sadly he didn't go for it :crybaby Suzie requested a couple of other songs - I think Toy Boy and asked him to do Happy Ending at the end, which he did. The side benefit was that when we were requesting the songs he would look to us for encouragement when he forgot the lyrics. He messed up so much on Toy Boy that he confused me too and I was like sorry I can't help you anymore! :aah:

• David. He was great! Loved the interaction with Mika. They have a great rapport. Of course Imma, Martin and Cherisse were great too, as always. I'm glad the band was there because it leant a lot of energy and buildup to some of the songs.

• Grace Kelly. The recorded version is one of my favourite songs of all time but to be honest it's been a disappointment to me during the gigs and I don't think I'd miss it if he dropped it from the setlist. But today was different. It sounded EXACTLY like the Jools Holland performance. I don't know if you can get a sense of this from the YouTube videos (as great as they are), but hopefully it will be clear in the professional videos.

• The flubs. Yes a part of me is like WTF? How can you not remember your own songs? But after 4 years I know it's just one of Mika's quirks and I find it endearing. It was especially entertaining in this setting and I think it would have come across like a boring recital without the improvisation and the inevitable mistakes that come with it.

• The Only Lonely One. Mika redeems himself in needing David to sort him out by teaching the band a new song on the fly. And a first ever performance for us. What an amazing treat!! Suzie recognized the song right away although I had no idea...ha! I really really loved it.

• Any Other World. It was just like those magical performances on the Dodgy Holiday Tour that I loved so much.

• Happy Ending. Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful. Mana would have cried.

Thank you Christine for you lovely and very detailed report! I'm not going to write a proper report, because everything is said, I just read yours over and over again to remember everything! I quoted a part of your report to make a few comments.

First of all, I'm a bit worried about the official recording, because I kind of forgot it during the gig, and I was sitting on a sofa next to the piano, and I just hope they zoomed it to Mika so the audience can't be seen on the video... I was thirsty and I took my champagne glass and spilled everything all over my shirt and at that point I remembered "oh, sh**, they are filming this!!" :roftl: But of course I look forward to the official vids, because it was a brilliant set, for many reasons.

I just loved it that it was really acoustic, and not semi-acoustic as usually. It was SO special, and it was like a dream to see him starting and stopping and improvising and teaching the band... :mf_lustslow: I couldn't believe first that we could hear him singing without a microphone. As you said, Only Lonely One was an amazing surprise, such a special treat. Happy Ending was especially beautiful, I can't stop listening to it, and I hope they will show it on MS too :wub2:

And David was awesome, I mentioned him in my first post too, I think he is at his best in situations like this, like he was during Live@Home too. And he is nowadays so relaxed and smiling, I like to see him like that.

I had a couple of children's books to give Mika after the set, and I had planned to tell him about them, why I chose them etc, but it just didn't seem a good moment for it. I can never say anything as I planned, lol! He was so suddenly in front of me, asking random things, and I totally loved it, because for once it was HIM saying those random things and not me! :lmfao: See Mika, it's not that easy! :roftl: He was so sweet, we talked a bit and I gave my presents and he looked at them, but I didn't actually explain what I was supposed to and he must think I'm stupid giving those things :doh:

I was very happy we found that secret tea room, it was a lovely place! I spend the rest of the evening with my husband (his 9th Mika gig already), so I didn't go to the mfc meeting, but I heard about the champagne and thought how kind it was from him. I want to say thank you to everyone I met in London, I will never forget that weekend, and thanks Suzie for traveling and sharing it with us (she was my another guest) and of course thanks to TM for organizing the gig, everything was lovely and relaxed :wub2:

Edited by tiibet

@Christine Thank you very much for such an excellent report.

I have saved it so that I can remember all the details when I am grey and old. :wheelchair:

:biggrin2:

I wasn’t thinking about writing anything more since the whole thing was recorded and posted already but I really like how you mentioned all these details I would have otherwise forgotten and now I remembered some other things.

I just loved it that it was really acoustic, and not semi-acoustic as usually. It was SO special, and it was like a dream to see him starting and stopping and improvising and teaching the band... :mf_lustslow: I couldn't believe first that we could hear him singing without a microphone. As you said, Only Lonely One was an amazing surprise, such a special treat. Happy Ending was especially beautiful, I can't stop listening to it, and I hope they will show it on MS too

To me it is usually the song that keeps coming to my head the following day(s) that I consider the strongest one of that particular show and this time it was definitely The Only Lonely One. (with Happy Ending coming close second – but that is almost by default :teehee:

I think he should actually put it on the 3rd album at least as a bonus track: it is a great sing-along, too, so it would make perfect sense.

For everyone who is saying they don't like Mika's hair or his earring or his shoes or whatever, I have to say just forget about pictures and videos. Mika is as gorgeous as ever in person and believe me if you see him you will not be moaning about his hair. He looks 24 again and his hair is still beautiful.

Yes, he looks more like his real self now, especially with his cool little earring and the shorter hair vs his artificially curled up hair and colourful jackets..etc. He might have needed that look to clearly distinguish himself from other artists when he landed on the pop scene in 2007 but now it is time to move on and leave that image as well. In any case, I was happy we got a natural version of him. :teehee:

Suzie requested a couple of other songs - I think Toy Boy and asked him to do Happy Ending at the end, which he did. The side benefit was that when we were requesting the songs he would look to us for encouragement when he forgot the lyrics. He messed up so much on Toy Boy that he confused me too and I was like sorry I can't help you anymore! :aah:

TB was requested by someone else but maybe he thought it was either of us as he kept looking at us for clues…:roftl:

At first I thought he was just ’testing’ us, and I was reluctant to sing (although mimed a bit) as TB is not a sing along song you would sing as if you were sitting by a campfire..(:aah: ) especially with those lyrics ..

As for the choice of songs, at the beginning I thought I’d leave the others come forward with their suggestions first and that later on I’d choose the ”must have’s” from the remaining ones but it seemed people quickly ran out of songs they could think of so more could be requested per person.

Up till yesterday I thought we had asked for all the ones that would have have been great to hear from him (from the ones he could possibly remember…:naughty:) but yesterday as soon as Robi was replying on the thread I thought :doh: we should have tried to ask him for the original version of the Ramazotti song, too…and now it is bugging me..

Edited by suzie

I'm not sure if I will write a proper report later or not, I need to think about it. But I guess this is not a secret anymore, and some winners will talk about it, some not. Everyone can make their own decisions.

It was a lovely intimate gig for 6 winners and their guests. The venue was small and very cozy, loved it, everything was perfectly organized. Mika did an acoustic set, it's something I have always wanted to see. So yes, it was amazingly beautiful :wub2:

Everyone who knows me can guess how happy I was to see Melachi, I admit it was a highlight :teehee: I have a pic, promised to show it:

IMG_3071.jpg

And yes, Mika did one of his old demo songs. Many people filmed, I filmed everything too.

:wub2::wub2::wub2::wub2::wub2::wub2:

OMG...!!! this pic is soo sweet... and Melachi looks sooo friendly... like Mika...!!!:wub2:

This was one of the best gig experiences ever, not just because of the amazing show but because it was so relaxed and fun. I know there was some concern that no familiar faces would be among the winners but I knew or knew of just about everyone there and it was nice to be at a gig without the usual anxiety and competitiveness that comes along with getting in the doors.

I ended up having a wonderful evening with some other MFCers and all in all it was a fantastic weekend and well worth the trip. I am grateful to Mika and Team for putting it all together and the other fans for making it an enjoyable experience and of course special thanks to the person who invited me and made it all possible. It was a very very unexpected and last minute surprise and it all worked out brilliantly.

What an amazing and perfectly detailed report :wub2::wub2:

It wasn't until someone mentioned it here that I remembered that Melachi was with him and he was saying that if he let her loose she was going to eat all the snacks on the coffee tables.

I am touched by this gluttonous pretty Melachi!:wub2: Where is a promised trainer?:teehee:

Guys, your reports are amazing! Thanks for all videos and photos again!

I too want that Mika did not strain His voice! Well , He has made it, though for one gig:thumb_yello:

This concert was as if it was a entertainment in a circle of family. It is remarkable:wub2:

@Christine Thank you very much for such an excellent report.

I have saved it so that I can remember all the details when I am grey and old.

I wasn’t thinking about writing anything more since the whole thing was recorded and posted already but I really like how you mentioned all these details I would have otherwise forgotten and now I remembered some other things.

To me it is usually the song that keeps coming to my head the following day(s) that I consider the strongest one of that particular show and this time it was definitely The Only Lonely One. (with Happy Ending coming close second – but that is almost by default :teehee:

I think he should actually put it on the 3rd album at least as a bonus track: it is a great sing-along, too, so it would make perfect sense.

Yes, he looks more like his real self now, especially with his cool little earring and the shorter hair vs his artificially curled up hair and colourful jackets..etc. He might have needed that look to clearly distinguish himself from other artists when he landed on the pop scene in 2007 but now it is time to move on and leave that image as well. In any case, I was happy we got a natural version of him. :teehee:

TB was requested by someone else but maybe he thought it was either of us as he kept looking at us for clues…:roftl:

At first I thought he was just ’testing’ us, and I was reluctant to sing (although mimed a bit) as TB is not a sing along song you would sing as if you were sitting by a campfire..(:aah: ) especially with those lyrics ..

As for the choice of songs, at the beginning I thought I’d leave the others come forward with their suggestions first and that later on I’d choose the ”must have’s” from the remaining ones but it seemed people quickly ran out of songs they could think of so more could be requested per person.

Up till yesterday I thought we had asked for all the ones that would have have been great to hear from him (from the ones he could possibly remember…:naughty:) but yesterday as soon as Robi was replying on the thread I thought :doh: we should have tried to ask him for the original version of the Ramazotti song, too…and now it is bugging me..

OH MY OH MY OH MY :shocked::shocked::shocked:

now it's bugging me too! :sneaky2:

but relax...i don't think he would remember ONE word of it! fancy one chord! :lmfao:

Thanx for all the reports, pix and vids -- just great!

'Bout the ear ring.

Just been reading a LOT 'bout the significance when men wear them.

Maybe I'll post the links another time, BUT this is a great explanation,

I think:

"Originally if a man had his left ear pierced it meant that he was gay and sexually dominant, and having his right ear pierced meaning gay and sexually submissive.

Gradually, it evolved to a man with his right ear pierced perceived as being gay and a man with his left ear being pierced perceived as being straight.

Now, it just means a pierced ear without any sexual meaning.

(Men getting their ear pierced originated with pirates; the value of the earring was meant to pay for their burial if they were lost at sea and their body washed ashore)."

SO, I guess MIKA's ear ring is to pay for that gun or cannon he recently said he wanted!

In short--in this day and age-- if a man is wearing an ear ring it means . . .

the man is wearing an ear ring !

Edited by A. Clay

Thanx for all the reports, pix and vids -- just great!

'Bout the ear ring.

Just been reading a LOT 'bout the significance when men wear them.

Maybe I'll post the links another time, BUT this is a great explanation,

I think:

"Originally if a man had his left ear pierced it meant that he was gay and sexually dominant, and having his right ear pierced meaning gay and sexually submissive.

Gradually, it evolved to a man with his right ear pierced perceived as being gay and a man with his left ear being pierced perceived as being straight.

Now, it just means a pierced ear without any sexual meaning.

(Men getting their ear pierced originated with pirates; the value of the earring was meant to pay for their burial if they were lost at sea and their body washed ashore)."

SO, I guess MIKA's ear ring is to pay for that gun or cannon he recently said he wanted!

In short--in this day and age-- if a man is wearing an ear ring it means the man is wearing an ear ring !

:roftl: really love your explanation:naughty:

I'm not sure if I will write a proper report later or not, I need to think about it. But I guess this is not a secret anymore, and some winners will talk about it, some not. Everyone can make their own decisions.

It was a lovely intimate gig for 6 winners and their guests. The venue was small and very cozy, loved it, everything was perfectly organized. Mika did an acoustic set, it's something I have always wanted to see. So yes, it was amazingly beautiful :wub2:

Everyone who knows me can guess how happy I was to see Melachi, I admit it was a highlight :teehee: I have a pic, promised to show it:

IMG_3071.jpg

And yes, Mika did one of his old demo songs. Many people filmed, I filmed everything too.

sooo adorable! thanks for everyone for the reports,vids, and pics!:thumb_yello: