Not everything needs a thread

• 2 weeks later...

Job update

So got told today that I'm at risk of being fired as one of My references was never able to be contacted. I spoke to My old leader and She told me that it has to be her boss that give the reference even tho I never really worked with him. So I emailed my work to let them know his details 

But I'm worried she (new Boss) won't take them as its not the original person, I've offered to give them a third reference but I don't know what else to do and I'm overthinking as Normal

9 minutes ago, BeccaStardust said:

Job update

So got told today that I'm at risk of being fired as one of My references was never able to be contacted. I spoke to My old leader and She told me that it has to be her boss that give the reference even tho I never really worked with him. So I emailed my work to let them know his details 

But I'm worried she (new Boss) won't take them as its not the original person, I've offered to give them a third reference but I don't know what else to do and I'm overthinking as Normal

Where I used to work the HR department did all the references and basically just confirmed the dates of employment and job description.  But ex-staff often got work colleagues to write a personal reference as to character, reliability etc.  Perhaps your old leader might be able to do that :dunno:  

EDIT:  also I don't see that it's your problem as you gave the names of the referees in good faith.  You;ve offered a third referee and that should be good enough.

6 minutes ago, silver said:

Where I used to work the HR department did all the references and basically just confirmed the dates of employment and job description.  But ex-staff often got work colleagues to write a personal reference as to character, reliability etc.  Perhaps your old leader might be able to do that :dunno:  

EDIT:  also I don't see that it's your problem as you gave the names of the referees in good faith.  You;ve offered a third referee and that should be good enough.

It probably isn't (I probably should have checked before putting her down) I Just overthink and worry esp since i'm on a short contract they might think of me as too much hassle 

but yeah I've done my best to resolve the issue so Hopefully thats enough and offer an alternative if it doesn't work

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Wasn't sure where to put this, but I came across this video on Mika's official YouTube, anyone seen it before?

Mira are a Brazilian band and I don't think the featured Mika is OUR Mika. I couldn't find any info in the Mikapedia anyway. Either Mika added the song himself because he likes it or it is a genuine mistake by YouTube. I'm guessing the latter... :dunno_grin:

• Like 1

On 4/11/2022 at 8:13 PM, TinyLove_CJ said:

Wasn't sure where to put this, but I came across this video on Mika's official YouTube, anyone seen it before?

Mira are a Brazilian band and I don't think the featured Mika is OUR Mika. I couldn't find any info in the Mikapedia anyway. Either Mika added the song himself because he likes it or it is a genuine mistake by YouTube. I'm guessing the latter... :dunno_grin:

Yeah, they sometimes automatically add some stuff that's not him, looks like this is one of them.

I gotta say I'm just so fed up with waiting for news from Mika... maybe I'm just impatient, I know... but last week's cancellation and postponements and Mika's silence during that time somehow brought me down so much from my excitement about the tour that I find it hard now to get excited again. With yesterday's post Mika got me excited at least about the prospect of seeing lots of posts from him today, but I'm just so fed up by now that I'm seriously considering turning off my internet for tonight and doing something else, because all this hoping for nothing and uselessly refreshing not just one but meanwhile two Instagram accounts is just frustrating. :badmood:

Sorry just needed to rant a bit. I'm sure tomorrow will be better, when finally that damn tour has started! Maybe I just feel reminded too much of the silence before the Boston gig that ended up in such bad news.

• Like 1

• 8 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Work today should have been called "fun with fire alarms". There was a faulty sensor in the workshop that triggered the alarm 3 TIMES this morning. 3 times of everyone having to evacuate the building. Oh boy. 

Here's the thing. I work at a university. The first alarm coincided with the changeover of class in our biggest lecture theatre,  which holds 500 students. One class nonchalantly leaving the theatre and wandering off to wherever, another class milling around waiting to go in. All while this MASSIVE FRICKING ALARM is ringing through the building. Because our students are so mollycoddled and 'special' they think it couldn't possibly apply to them. Sense the snark. 

Cue me, as the only member of staff in the hall, trying to herd several hundred reluctant students out of the building in an orderly manner. Although why I was worried about causing them to panic I don't know, this lot wouldn't have run if their arses were on fire . Most of them just glanced at me then carried on chatting or scrolling on their mobiles, or one (bless him) who was actually reading an actual text book. 

Did I mention the MASSIVE FRICKING ALARM that was ringing through all this? Oh yes. Well you'd think it was the softly tinkling harp strings of a sunny day in the fairy dell by their reaction. 

So I'm gesturing to the exits and shouting in stages of increasing frustration and decreasing politeness, variations of "that's the fire alarm, can everyone exit the building please?" ... "fire alarm, leave the building please!"... "can we exit the building PLEASE! That is the FIRE! ALARM!" Some people started moving, but others? 3 guys acknowledged me, then walked past me into the men's toilet. :blink: Ah yes, that renowned bastion of safety. A few Asian students were just stood watching, until I specifically pointed at them then at the exit and said "You! Out!". Others tried to head back into the theatre to collect their jackets. "No! Out!". It didn't help that the fire doors into the adjoining building, which are supposed to automatically close when the alarm rings, stayed wide open so students were still coming through. Even though the MASSIVE FRICKING ALARM was still ringing. Fortunately at that point a couple of security guys turned up to help, but it still took a lot of shouting and gesturing to get everyone out. The lecturer in the theatre was useless, he actually came out looking for his students to see why his next class hadn't arrived! Err, fire alarm? Oh right! Wandered back into the room to collect his jacket :doh: then ducked away down a side corridor! Didn't once think to help move his class to safety.  Another lecturer came wandering downstairs into the hall... while the MFA was ringing... glanced at the students being herded to the exit, then started walking through the hall to get to the cafe in the next building! I had to put my arm out to stop her and point her to the exit. While pointedly looking her in the eye and growling "Fire. Alarm." I think she got the message. 

It didn't stop there. Once outside, students were gathered in the doorway or alongside the building, and had to be told to move away to the gathering point. 👉  Several were stood in the road, fortunately a colleague had joined me and was telling them to move. Because if a fire engine comes screeching round that blind corner, they won't be stopping in time for silly students with NO COMMON SENSE! 

My god. It was seriously shocking just how dense these people were. The lack of urgency, the ignorance, the blatant disdain... Even the security were shocked, and they've seen things. 😳 

Rinse and repeat... 

• Confused 1

12 hours ago, Hero said:

My god. It was seriously shocking just how dense these people were. The lack of urgency, the ignorance, the blatant disdain... Even the security were shocked, and they've seen things. 😳 

Rinse and repeat... 

Your day sounds so stressful! Makes me question if the students didn't know what to do or as you put it "too dense", then how HOW did they even get a place into the university?

After all that was there even a fire?

I would want a mandatory day off after experiencing a day like that! I hope you get the chance to relax at some point and just listen to Mika on repeat! It helps.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TinyLove_CJ said:

Your day sounds so stressful! Makes me question if the students didn't know what to do or as you put it "too dense", then how HOW did they even get a place into the university?

Achieve a certain grade, go through clearing, at some point it becomes about meeting financial targets and getting paying bums on seats. Academic smarts and common sense are two different things. We see this in the lecturers too...

There might be cultural differences in responses to alarms, but they all have fire training at induction so should know what it means here and how to react. Obviously need a refresher!

After all that was there even a fire?

Lol, no. Just a faulty sensor triggering the alarm in the workshop out back. Fortunately they seem to have fixed it now. (Or have ripped it out... shhh...)

I would want a mandatory day off after experiencing a day like that!

Hahahahaha! No chance! It's expected.

I hope you get the chance to relax at some point and just listen to Mika on repeat! It helps.

It does. Always. ❤

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I have a certain problem to know where I can publish things and if they go according to the title of the thread :rolleyes: 

Leaving that aside, a while ago I was reading in mfc, " mods/admins - what do they do?" and reading that each moderator and the administrator have read that they can see what threads you read :jawdrop:

In other words, at any moment they will know that I read the threads: "mika's feet, mika's eyes, mika the neck massager, mika in pajamas, mika in a bathing suit" My God, what a pity Hahahahaha :angelnot:

:lmfao:

• Haha 4

16 hours ago, KAMI_83 said:

I have a certain problem to know where I can publish things and if they go according to the title of the thread :rolleyes: 

Leaving that aside, a while ago I was reading in mfc, " mods/admins - what do they do?" and reading that each moderator and the administrator have read that they can see what threads you read :jawdrop:

In other words, at any moment they will know that I read the threads: "mika's feet, mika's eyes, mika the neck massager, mika in pajamas, mika in a bathing suit" My God, what a pity Hahahahaha :angelnot:

:lmfao:

Well, we can see what thread you are in at the time - but we certainly don't track you :naughty: 

If you are not sure where posts should go, don't worry - they can always be moved to the right place.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 1 month later...

Hello everyone! I didn`t think this really needed a thread but if anyone just happends to be in the area, there is going to be a choir festival in my hometown, Basel! It is the beinnial European Youth Choir Festival, and it will be taking place mid-May. My choir will be singing in it as well (that is mostly why I am advertising it; my choir leaders have basically turned us into walking advertisment drones...). This is nowhere near as important as a Mika gig :lol3: so no need to plan an extra long trip.

image.thumb.jpeg.e20d770b4c7368486c59bbe9a199db6f.jpeg

(terribly sorry about the poor quality of the photo.)

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

28 minutes ago, BeccaStardust said:

but saw that a familiar face wad on and got the golden buzzer

I'll admit, took me a hot minute to actually recognise him! He certainly looks different now...

Dare I say, hotter?... :teehee:

(I think it's the hair)

6 minutes ago, TinyLove_CJ said:

I'll admit, took me a hot minute to actually recognise him! He certainly looks different now...

Dare I say, hotter?... :teehee:

(I think it's the hair)

I haven't been watching this year but saw Ant and Decs tweet and was like I recognise that name so went to check but then wasn't sure when I saw him at first ethier 

But yeah he looks different for sure 

• Like 1

since everything doesn't need a thread, what is this article by mika? I know it's from the second album but what's on the pages?

Screenshot_20230508-094157_Chrome.thumb.jpg.52f6d9254466e550c90187bc45f151eb.jpg

I already ordered some mika albums and they arrive on Tuesday and Saturday, but now I'm looking for something else to buy, I'm really delighted with mika's albums. Is there a specific thread where I can ask these things? thank you ❤ 

41 minutes ago, KAMI_83 said:

since everything doesn't need a thread, what is this article by mika? I know it's from the second album but what's on the pages?

Screenshot_20230508-094157_Chrome.thumb.jpg.52f6d9254466e550c90187bc45f151eb.jpg

I already ordered some mika albums and they arrive on Tuesday and Saturday, but now I'm looking for something else to buy, I'm really delighted with mika's albums. Is there a specific thread where I can ask these things? thank you ❤ 

It's a songbook to play piano. 

• Thanks 1

• 5 months later...

I’m back! After a rather long and busy time I am back on my Mika obsession! Something exciting that happened: I auditioned for a musical, and for my song I decided to sing Pick Up Off The Floor. I really hope it went well and I’m still waiting on the results. We will see if I got a solo or not!

• Like 9