Elle me dit - Song and Lyrics Discussion

What do you think of Mika's new single 'Elle Me Dit'?  

313 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of Mika's new single 'Elle Me Dit'?

• 2 years later...
  • Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

to keep the convo awake....

These words from Catherine, in the "Boum Boum Boum" topic, brought the question to my mind - is "Elle Me Dit" a classic of the decade in the francophone world?

As fans, we tend to look at everything in a brighter way, unconciously, leading us to regard our idol's work as masterpieces in any way (sorry if we have a wonderful taste but most of MIKA's is!), therefore we are unable to apprehend the general view on it.

That said, no doubt there are particular pieces of his catalogue that become personal classics due to the memories attached to it or simply becayse of taste. It is cool to know, tho, that a song from a favourite artist of ours is remembered by everyone.

As part of the general public, I had already heard of "Grace Kelly" as a remarkable song from 2007, given its refreshing effect on radio and for symbolising a big deal (an artist dealing with the company's restrictions). Also, it was damn popular.

Now "Elle Me Dit" - I am not part of the french-speaking music market, but numbers say (and numbers don't lie) it was not only successful at its time, but keeps charting in medium positions and, say the fans, receives a lot of airplay.

So you all who are part of the francophone sphere - is "Elle Me Dit" a classic of the decade in your countries?

to keep the convo awake....

I think all Mika hits from LICM are classics now in France, because of how much airplay they used to have and still have. But you are right, EMD was surprisingly his biggest hit here, everybody knows the lyrics at gigs, and I have to admit that now when I hear a radio presenter announcing a Mika song, I take it for granted they're going to play EMD (I'm happy when it is but happier when it's not; especially at the time Underwater was charting). So in that sense, I'd say that yes, in France, EMD has become THE Mika song; although in my opinion I wouldn't call it a masterpiece. And I think that for the French media, Mika also himself is a 'classic', a singer whose presence and success is undeniable. It's a good feeling :wink2:

I think all Mika hits from LICM are classics now in France, because of how much airplay they used to have and still have. But you are right, EMD was surprisingly his biggest hit here, everybody knows the lyrics at gigs, and I have to admit that now when I hear a radio presenter announcing a Mika song, I take it for granted they're going to play EMD (I'm happy when it is but happier when it's not; especially at the time Underwater was charting). So in that sense, I'd say that yes, in France, EMD has become THE Mika song; although in my opinion I wouldn't call it a masterpiece. And I think that for the French media, Mika also himself is a 'classic', a singer whose presence and success is undeniable. It's a good feeling :wink2:

You've said all about the song in France, french peolpe know all the lyrics and they consider the song as a funny song, with a funny clip too!

I think that younger people first think about EMD when someone talk about Mika. Older persons think about LICM songs, like Relax or Grace Kelly

• 4 years later...
8 hours ago, Stardust18081983 said:

didn't he inspire himself on the time he was in france thinking of mme. Patate? greetings!

He said that the idea came up when he was with Doriand in the studio and he remembered his mom saying that he always writes sad songs and that he should write a happy one. 

• 1 year later...
  • 3 years later...

PODCAST

Variétoche

Piste 8 💿 Elle me dit, de Mika : cet état surprenant dans lequel il était quand il a écrit ce tube

Hey, ça vous dit pas qu'on parle d'un tube iconique, pour se changer les idées ? Genre, à tout hasard, une chanson contente ?

Pas une chanson déprimante ?

Une chanson que tout le monde aime ? Si ça vous chante (ptdr le champ lexical du chant), je vous invite à découvrir cet état surprenant dans lequel était MIKA quand il a écrit ce tube…

•  0:00 Sa première chanson en français
  • 2:01 La traversée du désert
  • 3:04 Sa mère, ce héros
  • 3:51 Elle lui dit « danse »
  • 5:35 Hangover
  • 6:20 Les références et inspirations
  • 7:04 Le gros paradoxe
  • 8:14 Mais qui est Madame Patate ?
  • 10:36 Le clip giga culte
  • 12:57 Aaah, les parodies
  • 13:55 Emily
  • 14:58 « Un jour, je ne serai plus là »