Emily / She Tells Me - Elle Me Dit in English

Thanks to everyone who contributed to putting together the song lyrics and to Tiibet for providing the first video of the only performance we have of the English Elle Me Dit (so far!) :flowers2:

She tells me can't you write a happy song

Get your ass to number one

You could try a little harder

She tells me you could be a millionaire

But you're so full of hot air

Gonna end up like your father

She tells me you can't leave your life to chance

Get a girl and learn to dance

Be a boy like any other

She tells me why you got so much to say

Are you stuck up, are you gay

Gonna end up like your brother

She tells me it's my life

Don’t get to live it twice

One day you'll understand

Become a better man

She's pulling out her hair

But says she doesn't care

She doesn't make no sense

Screaming at me in French

She tells me you live your life in a balloon

Lock yourself up in your room

So the world can never reach ya

She tells me whatcha smoking, what's that stench

Who you’re speaking to in French

Did you really think you had me

She tells me that’s enough, do as you’re told

Does she think I’m eight years old

I give up it's not worth trying

She tells me one day I will end up dead

That's the only thing she said

That would ever get me smiling

She tells me it's my life

Don’t get to live it twice

One day you'll understand

Become a better man

She's pulling out her hair

But says she doesn't care

She doesn't make no sense

Screaming at me in French

She tells me you live your life in a balloon

Lock yourself up in your room

So the world can never reach ya

She tells me am I speaking Japanese

Then she's falling on her knees

Starts her praying to St. Peter

She tells me see the price I had to pay

Had to give my life away

All the sh*t I have to get through

She tells me why'd you make this hard for me

It's not the way it's meant to be

I don't want to have to hate you

[YOUTUBE]kyE86S5z1Y4[/YOUTUBE]

• Like 1

yes. Suddenly it all makes sense and I think it is a good song. :boing:

I hope Mika will record it in English for the album and change the production a bit so that we can have two versions of the same song. I wouldn't mind it being a bit more electronic but without his voice being distorted.

Amazing team work of the MFC as always! :yay:

Now I can stop being obsessed with getting the lyrics and study for uni :mf_rosetinted:

Glad to see you have your priorities right :wink2:

But well done to the MFC lyric team :thumb_yello:

Thank you...im soo happy and i love his face at the beginning(ish) when he says "i'm not going to sing it to your in french" :naughty:

Haha YES! It's like "oh well, I might be doing something wrong" :roftl:

I have mixed feelings after this English version. I really liked the idea he is doing songs in French. And it was so cool he did it in English in Schaffhausen, I loved it, but I still assumed (and hope) it will be in French on the album.

Thanks everyone working with the lyrics!! :thumb_yello: You did it so fast!! :boing:

Edited by tiibet

I have mixed feelings after this English version. I really liked the idea he is doing songs in French. And it was so cool he did it in English in Schaffhausen, I loved it, but I still assumed (and hope) it will be in French on the album.

Thanks everyone working with the lyrics!! :thumb_yello: You did it so fast!! :boing:

I hope the French version will be a bonus track in France, and the English version will be a bonus track elsewhere. Then we can have both :thumb_yello:

I hope the French version will be a bonus track in France, and the English version will be a bonus track elsewhere. Then we can have both :thumb_yello:

Or both could be bonus tracks everywhere and everyone would be happy! :aah:

:teehee:

i don't think he planned to put any french songs on the (regular) album in the first place, just as the bonus tracks for the french version. he said the album would be 12 love songs, and i wouldn't say this is a love song. :naughty: although, you'll never know with mika, if you look at it from a different side, the person who talks to him in the song could express a sort of love by being worried about what he does with his life... :teehee: i think it'd be cool if he released the english version as a single, so those who don't live in france also have a chance to buy it. :biggrin2: but guess that won't happen. :sad:

i love the lyrics, they're really funny. :roftl: i already LOL'd during the soundcheck when i heard "get your ass to number one"! - at that point i hadn't noticed yet that he was singing it all in english and i thought he was improvising. :lmfao:

i don't think he planned to put any french songs on the (regular) album in the first place, just as the bonus tracks for the french version. he said the album would be 12 love songs, and i wouldn't say this is a love song. :naughty: although, you'll never know with mika, if you look at it from a different side, the person who talks to him in the song could express a sort of love by being worried about what he does with his life... :teehee: i think it'd be cool if he released the english version as a single, so those who don't live in france also have a chance to buy it. :biggrin2: but guess that won't happen. :sad:

i love the lyrics, they're really funny. :roftl: i already LOL'd during the soundcheck when i heard "get your ass to number one"! - at that point i hadn't noticed yet that he was singing it all in english and i thought he was improvising. :lmfao:

If it is a mother talking to his son it is a love song! There are many kind of love.

And yes, this means again that we need to buy six different versions of his album because the bonus songs are different! :roftl:

i don't think he planned to put any french songs on the (regular) album in the first place, just as the bonus tracks for the french version. he said the album would be 12 love songs, and i wouldn't say this is a love song. :naughty: although, you'll never know with mika, if you look at it from a different side, the person who talks to him in the song could express a sort of love by being worried about what he does with his life... :teehee:i think it'd be cool if he released the english version as a single, so those who don't live in france also have a chance to buy it. :biggrin2: but guess that won't happen. :sad:

Maybe when the vid comes out and they see how many views it gets in non-French-speaking countries? ::dunno:

In days of old he could have released both versions as a double A-side single.:naughty:

I really would like either version as a legitimate copy

Big thank you to all who put effort to write down those lyrics.:flowers2::clap:

I find them soooo dark, don't you think? I didn't when I read them translated from French. Can't explain to myself why. :dunno:

And I love both versions. They sound completely different to me. :wub2:

...but if you don't speak French, why would you choose to listen to the song in French if you had the chance to listen to it in English? It is exactly the same song. Don't you like the English lyrics?

i think it'd be cool if he released the english version as a single, so those who don't live in france also have a chance to buy it. :biggrin2: but guess that won't happen. :sad:

yes, it is unlikely since it was sold to Universal's French label as an exclusive French song :roftl: He is likely to have much more unique songs in mind to release as singles from the album but it would be such a waste not to record this one in English - as a bonus track on the international version of the album, for example. :dunno:

...but if you don't speak French, why would you choose to listen to the song in French if you had the chance to listen to it in English? It is exactly the same song. Don't you like the English lyrics?

I think he sounds different when he sings in French :blush-anim-cl: And if I know what he is saying the language doesn't matter that much. English is not my own language. I like the English lyrics but the lyrics are not the most important thing in this song. It's about the feeling the song gives. You know, it's the same with many songs. I like the idea EMD is in French, but as I said I loved hearing in English last Sat, it was so cool to suddenly hear it in different language :biggrin2:

Edited by tiibet

I find them soooo dark, don't you think? I didn't when I read them translated from French. Can't explain to myself why. :dunno:

I think literally translations never convey the same meaning the original words mean to people speaking a language, especially when they are written in a verse. The rhythm and the rhyme of lyrics help the message get through in a more intense way so it kind of hits you - that is if the lyrics are written well and these ones most definitely are.

The French version is being released in more and more iTunes shops so maybe everyone will get a chance to buy a legit copy soon.

I have finally memorized the French version (:aah:) but these lyrics are much better in my biased opinion (since I am not bilingual). There is no comparison between "get your ass to number one" and "write a song that the whole world will love". The English is clever and descriptive.

I am getting a much more vivid picture of this mother and her histrionics and guilt tripping and a son who is tuning out the drama physically, emotionally and pharmacologically :naughty:

Maybe the French also paints a vivid picture and I'm just not getting it but this is why I don't understand the argument that a song has the same value if you don't fully comprehend the lyrics. Certainly that is the case with some music but this song in particular is just all about the lyrics. Without these particular lyrics it's just a song that could have been written (and sung) by anyone.

If it is a mother talking to his son it is a love song! There are many kind of love.

I agree. :thumb_yello:

And yes, this means again that we need to buy six different versions of his album because the bonus songs are different! :roftl:

:sneaky2:

although, you'll never know with mika, if you look at it from a different side, the person who talks to him in the song could express a sort of love by being worried about what he does with his life... :teehee:

It is a kind of choking love. viannen_74.gif

I think literally translations never convey the same meaning the original words mean to people speaking a language, especially when they are written in a verse. The rhythm and the rhyme of lyrics help the message get through in a more intense way so it kind of hits you - that is if the lyrics are written well and these ones most definitely are.

I thought so too. I just couldn't believe it could be so intense. Those lyrics hit me hard, I admit. But only written ones, not when I listen. That's real Mika.

I think he sounds different when he sings in French :blush-anim-cl: And if I know what he is saying the language doesn't matter that much. English is not my own language. I like the English lyrics but the lyrics are not the most important thing in this song.

I see. I don't feel the same way but I probably would if the verses of Karen were translated, for example, because to me, that music is French. Not the chorus part though. So that song can stay as a bonus track on the French album, but EMD in English can and should start a new life elsewhere.:roftl:

I am getting a much more vivid picture of this mother and her histrionics and guilt tripping and a son who is tuning out the drama physically, emotionally and pharmacologically :naughty:

That's what I was talking about. :thumb_yello: And I'm not sure that lyrics are funny.