The Homework Thread! ;D xD

qwurtie

• Replies 345
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Anybody any good at Chemistry? I thought I was ok, but I'm in a pickle!What is the difference between Mr and RAM (relative atomic mass)? I thought there wasn't any, but there seems to be one, and it relates to finding the molecular formula from the empirical formula, as well as other stuff. Also, I'm stuck on questions like this:

Nickel combines with carbon monoxide to form nickel carbonyl, Ni(CO)x ( x is subscript like in H2O). When 2.95g Nickel was heated with carbon monoxide,it was converted completely into 8.55g nickel carbonyl. Find the mass of CO which combined with 2.95g Ni and hence find the value of x in the formula.

I made a little equation:

2.95g+CO->8.55g

so CO=5.6g

And the Mr (arghh!) of CO is 12+16=28

Then I put it into the equation

no. of moles= mass/Mr

so then 5.6/28=x

but this is not going to be a nice integer value that would be the right answer and I cannot see where I went wrong. I had the same issue with the next question I tried, so I think the problem is with my method. Anybody know what to do?

Thanks for reading this. It's quite long.

Anybody any good at Chemistry? I thought I was ok, but I'm in a pickle!What is the difference between Mr and RAM (relative atomic mass)? I thought there wasn't any, but there seems to be one, and it relates to finding the molecular formula from the empirical formula, as well as other stuff. Also, I'm stuck on questions like this:

Nickel combines with carbon monoxide to form nickel carbonyl, Ni(CO)x ( x is subscript like in H2O). When 2.95g Nickel was heated with carbon monoxide,it was converted completely into 8.55g nickel carbonyl. Find the mass of CO which combined with 2.95g Ni and hence find the value of x in the formula.

2.95g+CO->8.55g

so CO=5.6g

no. of moles= mass/Mr

so then 5.6/28=x

but this is not going to be a nice integer value that would be the right answer and I cannot see where I went wrong. I had the same issue with the next question I tried, so I think the problem is with my method. Anybody know what to do?

Just one question, x isn't the same as no. of moles?

2.95g+CO->8.55g

so CO=5.6g

no. of moles= mass/Mr

so then 5.6/28=x

As I understand it, Mr is the RAM(I guess this is the same as Ar?) of all the elements in the compound added together. So it basically means the same thing, but Mr is used when it is talking about compounds, and RAM is elements.

I assume you're doing AS level too as I am on this as well. I asked the teacher about the values being ridiculous and she said it isn't like GCSE when they all come to satisfactory numbers, it can be a bit random and you have to use 3 sig figs.

However I didn't check the question or your working, so can't say anything else. Sorry :aah:

Sorry. I have another chemistry question:

If one took all of the elements in period 3 (across not down) and ionised them so that they had exactly the same number of electrons, how would their radius (radii?) differ and why?

I think it has something to do with the atomic or mass number, but I missed the lesson so I'm confused, and I have a test tomorrow. Anybody know about this?

Sorry. I have another chemistry question:

If one took all of the elements in period 3 (across not down) and ionised them so that they had exactly the same number of electrons, how would their radius (radii?) differ and why?

I think it has something to do with the atomic or mass number, but I missed the lesson so I'm confused, and I have a test tomorrow. Anybody know about this?

The greater the atomic number, the smaller the radius. This is because there are more protons when there is a greater atomic number, giving the nucleus a greater positive pull towards the electrons, so they come closer to the nucleus. Because they are all in the same period, with the same number of electrons, there aren't any other factors which will outweigh this (eg. shielding blah blah)

Does that make sense? :teehee:

The greater the atomic number, the smaller the radius. This is because there are more protons when there is a greater atomic number, giving the nucleus a greater positive pull towards the electrons, so they come closer to the nucleus. Because they are all in the same period, with the same number of electrons, there aren't any other factors which will outweigh this (eg. shielding blah blah)

Does that make sense? :teehee:

Thanks so much! That does make sense and now I can go to bed without worrying about it. I think my friend wrote it down wrong, so when I copied it up, it made no sense. Wow! You've made it seem really simple. Thank you again!

Thanks so much! That does make sense and now I can go to bed without worrying about it. I think my friend wrote it down wrong, so when I copied it up, it made no sense. Wow! You've made it seem really simple. Thank you again!

No problem, I know very well how it feels to panic about not getting chemistry :naughty:

(the rule only applies for the same period, by the way. Across a period = smaller, down the group = bigger)

• 1 month later...

Hello, :bye:

I'm doing a college work about urbanistic studies of a city (it can be any city in the world apart of mine) and the city I've chosen was Toyota, Japan.

The deadline is December 3rd and most of this is done, so I'm not asking to do the work for me, just to some japanese speaker translate some texts from japanese to english (thanks to Eriko for sending to me :huglove:), so I can translate to portuguese and put on that

It's 3 texts and they aren't that long, they talk about ancient and medieval history and general characteristics of the city. I'm asking to someone since I can't count on Google Translator because it messes everything up :mf_rosetinted:

I looked for other people to help me, but pratically none could help me

(one was too busy to do that, another one charged a lot of money - R$ 80,00, around 40 US dollars - to translate these texts and other two didn't answer the message I gave them so far). Anyone able to give me a hand can contact me by FB inbox, Twitter, PM, anyway you want to

Thanks in advance and sorry for bothering because of this work

EDIT: didn't attach the files, cause their sizes exceed the maximum to put here

Edited by BiaIchihara

Hello, :bye:

I'm doing a college work about urbanistic studies of a city (it can be any city in the world apart of mine) and the city I've chosen was Toyota, Japan.

The deadline is December 3rd and most of this is done, so I'm not asking to do the work for me, just to some japanese speaker translate some texts from japanese to english (thanks to Eriko for sending to me :huglove:), so I can translate to portuguese and put on that

It's 3 texts and they aren't that long, they talk about ancient and medieval history and general characteristics of the city. I'm asking to someone since I can't count on Google Translator because it messes everything up :mf_rosetinted:

I looked for other people to help me, but pratically none could help me

(one was too busy to do that, another one charged a lot of money - R$ 80,00, around 40 US dollars - to translate these texts and other two didn't answer the message I gave them so far). Anyone able to give me a hand can contact me by FB inbox, Twitter, PM, anyway you want to

Thanks in advance and sorry for bothering because of this work

EDIT: didn't attach the files, cause their sizes exceed the maximum to put here

*bump*

• 1 month later...
Hang on, is it doable if you just forget about the blah blah hydrazine formula and just work out a H N H bond? Is the answer 107 degrees?

ya, it is...but where does the third atom around the nitrogen atom come from? D:the first bit says 'hydrazine, N2H4'

ugh, this is so frustrating, i thought i knew stuff but doing these papers i dont know anything dasdjkdfjh,

Cl is more oxidising than bromine (is it?)... Sooooo the chlorine stays in ion form because the bromine can't displace it. Sooo the cyclohexane only notices the Bromine so turns orange

I think. Do you agree?

Ugh hibaaaaaa biology hahahshshjchmbv.