To me it sounds different. Mika almost sounds like he has a Chinese accent when he sings it, especially at the end. It doesn't sound natural to me at all.

:lmao: Okay I'm just going to have to take your word for it then.

The lyrics have changed from what you just posted. Does anyone have other input from previous versions? This is what I hear in the Heaven version and I think it's quite clear. Not convinced about "we're" space born high though. I don't see him articulating the "r" sound so I still lean towards "with" even though neither makes any sense IMO.

Bursting through a bright blue sky

A slow landslide

and the world I've left behind

It's enough to blow your head

and disappear and not be seen again.

When I fall to my feet

Wearin' my heart on my sleeve

All I see just amazes

You are the port of my call

You shot and leavin' me raw

Now I know you're amazing

'Cause all I need

Is the love you breathe

put your lips on me and

I can live underwater,

underwater, underwater

And I can live underwater

Flying through a bright blue sky

We’re space born high

from the world I've left behind

it's enough to blow your head

and disappear

and not return again

When I fall to my feet

Wearin' my heart on my sleeve

All I see just amazes

You are the port of my call

You shot and leavin' me raw

Now I know you're amazing

'Cause all I need

Is the love you breathe

Put your lips on me and

I can live underwater,

underwater, underwater

Underwater

And I can live underwater (x2)

Underwater, underwater, I can live underwater

with your love I can breathe, I can breathe underwater

(x6)

Have he change the lyrics? :blink: Think the other lyrics are better :mf_rosetinted:

And aha he sings You are the port of my call well that's more logical than You are the port of my car :aah:

Aha okay I see what he have done, now he have just change some parts of the first verse with some parts of the second.

I couldnot pinpoint when, but he started doing it even before the italian gig

Also, you should change All I see just amazes by All I see just don't make sense

Even I, who suck at lyrics, am pretty sure he sings All I see just amazes

that's what I heard before I even looked at the lyrics and I can only hear All I see just don't make sense if I expect him to sing it. And All I see just don't make sense don't fit with the rest of the song.

But Adele is not pronouncing it "war-ter" is she? This is what I'm trying to figure out. Is it just a case of all singers using the same vowel or am I just unable to hear this distinction because I'm not British? :naughty: Because if all singers do it then I don't understand why it's rubbing people the wrong way when Mika does it.

I agree with about the very pronounced T but I thought that was just his normal accent. Like the way he says Twittttah. :teehee:

Adele doesn't speak English proper :mf_rosetinted: She would probably normally drop the "t" altogether - wa'er. She sings a soft "t" which sounds like "d".

Mika is the one saying it oddly. I can't think how to convey the vowel sound to you. It should be "war-ter" but he says "what-ter".

@Suzie and Christine:

the lyrics of the Nice version are a mixture between both your lyrics

Well, never mind. He might sing it differently each time.

I think it is easy to put together any version from the the lyrics we have so far.

I think it is easy to put together any version from the the lyrics we have so far.

I think that's a foregone conclusion :naughty:

I think he does, that struck me too when I was in Gruchet le Valasse 's gig. :naughty:

Did you notice in the Heaven version he sort of ended the song and restarted it again saying "we" instead of "I" in the final lines.

He did it in Vienne too, I liked it

Concerning pronunciation, if you are familiar with English phonetics, I'd say that Mika sings wætə® (open 'a') instead of wɔ:tə®. It's a common mistake made by French speakers who learn English, as the only 'a' sound in French is æ.

I have to say although I know how 'water' should be pronounced, it didn't shock me the way Mika sings it before it was mentioned here; I just thought it was more appropriate with the singing

Concerning pronunciation, if you are familiar with English phonetics, I'd say that Mika sings wætə® (open 'a') instead of wɔ:tə®. It's a common mistake made by French speakers who learn English, as the only 'a' sound in French is æ.

I have to say although I know how 'water' should be pronounced, it didn't shock me the way Mika sings it before it was mentioned here; I just thought it was more appropriate with the singing

Yes he does, that's spot on.

For some reason (probably just heavy cultural influence) many British singers use an approximation of American vowels and consonants when singing. It's quite common. Even those who have pronounced regional British accents in speech (Adele being a good example). There's a tendency to soften consonants and alter vowel sounds or dipthongize them. Use of the rhotic "r" also increases.

For example In 'Someone Like You', Adele tends to pronounce "instead" as "instayeed" which sounds very American, and specifically southern USA, to me. I actually find it a bit annoying :aah: but that's by the by...

Since Mika's spoken accent is a strange mix of British and American, it comes as no surprise that he sometimes mixes up the rules when singing, hence the "waater" thing.

For some reason (probably just heavy cultural influence) many British singers use an approximation of American vowels and consonants when singing. It's quite common. Even those who have pronounced regional British accents in speech (Adele being a good example). There's a tendency to soften consonants and alter vowel sounds or dipthongize them. Use of the rhotic "r" also increases.

For example In 'Someone Like You', Adele tends to pronounce "instead" as "instayeed" which sounds very American, and specifically southern USA, to me. I actually find it a bit annoying :aah: but that's by the by...

I really think EVERYONE does this when they are singing at the level of Mika and Adele. You can hear pronounced British accents with rappers and Kate Nash (who is also pretty much talking rather than singing) and in bands like the Arctic Monkeys. But when someone is proper singing I can rarely detect a British accent - there is an occasional ambiguous word at most. I mean who would imagine that Leona Lewis grew up in London and not next door to Mariah Carey? I would say Mika's pronunciation of water is even less American than Adele's since we would never use a "t" sound.

I don't think it's just Brits either, Americans do the same thing and you won't detect regional accents unless they are country singers. I guess people just learn to imitate other singers in their genre. So country singers always have that twang even if they come from the northern US or even Canada. Adele mimics blues singers so she sounds especially American particularly when she sings covers of blues/country artists.

No I am not familiar with phonetics which is why it is taking me so long to understand what people are hearing/expecting to hear. :blush-anim-cl:

I still say that Mika's vowel is identical the American one, as is Adele's. I think most singers would pronounce it the same way as Adele and what is odd about Mika's pronunciation is the enunciated "t", not the vowel.

• 4 weeks later...
The hypnotic swell of Underwater was inspired by a 90s Michel Gondry denim ad, a seemingly slight but beautifully realised 90 second polemic on the idea that when you are in love it consumes you so much you can breathe below sea level.

MZe0XYwC_7w

• 2 weeks later...

do you think that one line in the second verse is "... with a space-born high"?

:blink:

Aha. Now that the album sampler is out, I can hear it much better --

it's "space BOY high." :naughty:

I didn't write that last bit. Deb did you edit my post instead of replying or am I losing my mind? :freak:

Not losing your mind -- I edited your post by accident instead of quoting it, but I

could swear I fixed it as soon as I realized it. :doh:

I've fixed it now for sure! Sorry about that! :doh: :doh: :doh:

And I'll say it here: Our little Astro Boy. :wub2:

Edited by dcdeb

and what does it mean? :blink:

wil you correct first post?

He's feeling high, like a space boy. It's basically a play on the meaning of

the word "high" -- feeling high in a figurative sense, like you're high on

love, not just high in altitude. :wink2:

And I'll correct all the lyrics once I hear the album and am 100 percent sure

of them -- since he seems to have changed them every time he's sung the

song! :naughty: