Celebrate - First single radio listening! + Discussion & Lyrics

I like "Celebrate" very much. It's like a firework of positive feelings th_1sm180congrat.gif

And while listening I have the urge to dance and move all the time dance2.gif - there are not many songs that have this effect on me :wink2:

There are a lot of "small things" I like, too: the melody of the verses (so melodic), you can hear Mika's voice (no distortion like in Kick ass), the "delay" in the beat (it makes the song interesting and destroys an over-catchiness), the second part where it get's so "wide" and "free"….

Like many others I'm not so fond of the Pharrel-part. But I can see that it could work well live or in a club. It's the moment where the crowd starts really to dance :wink2:

Another review

Mika sticks to the same positive, go-get-em formula in his comeback single, 'Celebrate.'

Mika could be a motivational speaker. All of his music has that uplifting, happy-go-lucky message; “Love Today,” “Grace Kelly,” “Big Girls (You Are Beautiful)” are just a few examples. With “Celebrate,” he proves that he hasn’t lost his penchant for penning peppy songs.

The singer swaps his trademark high-pitched vocal range for a softer, smoother R&B tenor in this single. (During the chorus, he still reverts back to the soprano we know and love.) His lyrics, however, and as a result, the song’s theme, strive toward the same trope that Mika has become known for throughout his career: happiness.

“I wanna come home to the only place I know/Where the trees I planted grow/I wanna come home,” sings Mika. He doesn’t hide his intention behind tricky metaphors or long-winded anecdotes the way other artists would. No, his message is simple and clear: “I want the whole world to celebrate.”

Joining Mika in the comeback boat is Pharrell, producer of the song as well as guest star singer. Pharrell echoes his buddy’s sentiments – and sound – switching up his aggravating (and sometimes off-key) falsetto in favor of a lower register, with his own political demonstration shouts sprinkled after. The song boils down to an inspiring, if not mildly cheesy, collision of voices and noises telling us to seize the moment, be happy, celebrate.

We’re sure we’ll be seeing this song featured on one of those you-can-be-anything-you-want-to-be-if-you-drink-our-soda Mountain Dew commercials very soon. Listen below.

Another review

Mika sticks to the same positive, go-get-em formula in his comeback single, 'Celebrate.'

Mika could be a motivational speaker. All of his music has that uplifting, happy-go-lucky message; “Love Today,” “Grace Kelly,” “Big Girls (You Are Beautiful)” are just a few examples. With “Celebrate,” he proves that he hasn’t lost his penchant for penning peppy songs.

The singer swaps his trademark high-pitched vocal range for a softer, smoother R&B tenor in this single. (During the chorus, he still reverts back to the soprano we know and love.) His lyrics, however, and as a result, the song’s theme, strive toward the same trope that Mika has become known for throughout his career: happiness.

“I wanna come home to the only place I know/Where the trees I planted grow/I wanna come home,” sings Mika. He doesn’t hide his intention behind tricky metaphors or long-winded anecdotes the way other artists would. No, his message is simple and clear: “I want the whole world to celebrate.”

Joining Mika in the comeback boat is Pharrell, producer of the song as well as guest star singer. Pharrell echoes his buddy’s sentiments – and sound – switching up his aggravating (and sometimes off-key) falsetto in favor of a lower register, with his own political demonstration shouts sprinkled after. The song boils down to an inspiring, if not mildly cheesy, collision of voices and noises telling us to seize the moment, be happy, celebrate.

We’re sure we’ll be seeing this song featured on one of those you-can-be-anything-you-want-to-be-if-you-drink-our-soda Mountain Dew commercials very soon. Listen below.

That's a great review! Yes, it would be great on an advert. It's better than that annoying song which is used so often, which I'm absolutely sick of that goes...

We are young

We run free (I think that the line)

Keep our teeth,

Nice and clean

It's been done to death! It's time for a change.

That's a great review! Yes, it would be great on an advert. It's better than that annoying song which is used so often, which I'm absolutely sick of that goes...

We are young

We run free (I think that the line)

Keep our teeth,

Nice and clean

It's been done to death! It's time for a change.

Supergrass! It WAS a good song. Until Muller Corner or Dairylea or whatever it was used it to death :aah:

Do we really want Mika's song to become that? :mf_rosetinted:

Another review

:naughty: funny!

That is a pretty revealing comment about how this song is perceived. Such a shame. :sad:

Another review

Well the song has a commercial feeling :dunno: especially compared to most of his songs and it's probably meant as an easy party song (and it's very suitable for summer festivals and for live audiences in general, imo).

Well the song has a commercial feeling :dunno: especially compared to most of his songs and it's probably meant as an easy party song (and it's very suitable for summer festivals and for live audiences in general, imo).

Haven't you just 'wub'ed an earlier statement from him in which he states that his songs "arent being written just as potential hits but instead they reflect different feelings and emotions" though ? I can see a slight contradiction here. :teehee:

If he writes for summer festivals in mind, then it is not something that comes 'naturally'. It's not that I mind that, I just wanted to point it out.

Also, Celebrate does not sound better live than his previous hits like Love Today or Lollipop, so this 'perfect for a festival' excuse fails even on that. One either likes a song or they don't. Making excuses on his behalf sounds odd to me.

As far as I am concerned, I don't mind this song and I understand the logic behind its release due to its possible commercial potential but I can't hide the fact that I expected something better from him, especially knowing that there is at least one other song (Underwater ) on that album that would make a much better comeback single, IMO.

Edited by suzie

As far as I am concerned, I don't mind this song and I understand the logic behind its release due to its possible commercial potential but I can't hide the fact that I expected something better from him, especially knowing that there is at least one other song (Underwater ) on that album that would make a much better comeback single, IMO.

If Underwater is piano based (as the reviews make it sound) I don't think it would make a good comeback single.

My only criticism of Celebrate is that it's not commercial enough. The song sounds formulaic but the formula doesn't follow through to the end so there is no climax/payoff after the rap. Also the rap is too watered down. I don't see the point in doing that to keep it "Mikaish". If it was truly Mikaish there would be no rap at all. :doh: So if you're going to include a rap then make it authentic.

My only criticism of Celebrate is that it's not commercial enough. The song sounds formulaic but the formula doesn't follow through to the end so there is no climax/payoff after the rap. Also the rap is too watered down. I don't see the point in doing that to keep it "Mikaish". If it was truly Mikaish there would be no rap at all. :doh: So if you're going to include a rap then make it authentic.

I mostly agree with this and also with Tiibet that it's good live for festivals

A lot of the people I know thought TBWKTM "too weird" (as opposed to LICM which they though "original")- they said they couldn't identify with it. Perhaps Celebrate is intended to counter that?

However, the line "see you at the finish line" makes me cringe. It'll almost certainly put a lot of people in the UK off- but that assumes it'll be heard here, which doesn't seem particularly likely

Haven't you just 'wub'ed an earlier statement from him in which he states that his songs "arent being written just as potential hits but instead they reflect different feelings and emotions" though ? I can see a slight contradiction here. :teehee:

If he writes for summer festivals in mind, then it is not something that comes 'naturally'. It's not that I mind that, I just wanted to point it out.

Also, Celebrate does not sound better live than his previous hits like Love Today or Lollipop, so this 'perfect for a festival' excuse fails even on that. One either likes a song or they don't. Making excuses on his behalf sounds odd to me.

Personally, I think Celebrate does sound better live, and can hold it's own alongside Love Today and Lollipop. I wasn't sure about it when I first heard it, and was more on the side of not really liking it too much, then I heard the live version on the Samsung video, and it started nudging me in the other direction. Then at Lovebox, it did have me dancing I have to say.

I said at my first listen of it, that it was possibly a grower, and I think that it has done that with me.

I still prefer Make Me Happy, but I think Celebrate will do good at the live shows.

+1 I agree with you!

I like the song but I worry it's to much in the middle to become a radio hit, just because of the aspect you mention. The song isn't that memorable if compare it to other radio hits, unfortunately...

+1 I agree with you!

I like the song but I worry it's to much in the middle to become a radio hit, just because of the aspect you mention. The song isn't that memorable if compare it to other radio hits, unfortunately...

I agree, but look at the last Maroon 5 single, is number 1 in UK and also includes a rap, and is not the best Adam Levine song ever, so we never know..

Personally, I think Celebrate does sound better live, and can hold it's own alongside Love Today and Lollipop.

What I said was that it was not better than Love Today or Lollipop..

He performs Celebrate just like it sounds on the record but it does sound better live than if you were listening to it on record, that is the magic of a live performance by Mika. :original:

.I still prefer Make Me Happy, but I think Celebrate will do good at the live shows.

I agree with you on that. In fact, Celebrate functions better at big live shows. For tv appearances though I'd take Make You Happy.

If Underwater is piano based (as the reviews make it sound) I don't think it would make a good comeback single. .

Adele's songs are piano based, too. :dunno:

I think it would make a better comeback single as it would be so different than most of what Mika has shown so far (except for Happy Ending that rarely gets played, unfortunately)

In other words, another mish-mash song and hence considered unoriginal by many.

I think it is thought to be very commercial though and they might have got that wrong like they did with WAG. A formula that could work magic for Miley Cyrus may not work for Mika.

A lot of the people I know thought TBWKTM "too weird" (as opposed to LICM which they though "original")- they said they couldn't identify with it. Perhaps Celebrate is intended to counter that?

So it was purposely written then... Something many people claim and others try to deny.

(I am in-between, actually. )

However, the line "see you at the finish line" makes me cringe. It'll almost certainly put a lot of people in the UK off- but that assumes it'll be heard here, which doesn't seem particularly likely

To me it is the following lines that do it:

"I remember those two letters

It will Be OK" :blink:

"Everyone says now or never" :pinkbow:

"Be a night like this forever" :rolls_eyes:

Then:

"It's time for everybody to stand up stand up...stand up " :annoyed_h4h:

"And have fun." :aah:

"'cause we've just begun" :blink:

eh?:doh:

Edited by suzie

I agree, but look at the last Maroon 5 single, is number 1 in UK and also includes a rap, and is not the best Adam Levine song ever, so we never know..

Payphone?

I agree with you but I think that one of the reason that the song get so much air time as it gets is because of their last single. It's long since Mika had a really successful single so people are more skeptic against him than they are to Maroon 5. And then Payphone sounds like Maroon 5, Celebrate isn't the most typical Mika song.

Then it's one more big thing that tells against celebrate. I haven't heard Payphone on the radio but it's currently number 7 at the Swedish chart and I know it will be played more on the radio since it had a such big success in UK. Celebrate will not be released in UK until 9 September...

Edited by Lilasko

Adele's songs are piano based, too. :dunno:

I think it would make a better comeback single as it would be so different than most of what Mika has shown so far (except for Happy Ending that rarely gets played, unfortunately)

But Adele is a diva and her huge hit in the US was a soul/gospel song that she didn't even expect to get crossover play on pop stations. Happy Ending is the closest Mika has to this but he is not a female diva modelling himself on Etta James. Like you say HE never got the airplay of his traditional pop songs.

I guess it depends how Underwater has been treated. Maybe something along the lines of Coldplay could work in the UK but if it's as stripped down and old fashioned sounding as Good Gone Girl I don't think it would have a chance.

It's long since Mika had a really successful single so it's people are more skeptic against him than Maroon 5. And then Payphone sounds like Maroon 5 Celebrate isn't a the most typical Mika song.

oh, you have actually just worded what I have been trying to say. My biggest problem with Celebrate being the first single that it reinforces the stereotype people have of Mika. In fact, he can no longer claim to try to sound different because with this one he seems to have toed the line. His success or failure will depend a lot on how he is perceived, IMO.

But Adele is a diva and her huge hit in the US was a soul/gospel song that she didn't even expect to get crossover play on pop stations. Happy Ending is the closest Mika has to this but he is not a female diva modelling himself on Etta James. Like you say HE never got the airplay of his traditional pop songs..

It could also be that it was because HE was the 5th single of LICM. :dunno:

I guess it depends how Underwater has been treated. Maybe something along the lines of Coldplay could work in the UK but if it's as stripped down and old fashioned sounding as Good Gone Girl I don't think it would have a chance.

Underwater has such beautiful piano part, heart-felt yet non-soppy lyrics, instantly working melody, tempo changes that support the song and great vocal harmonies in the chorus that I find it impossible to be spoilt in production :teehee:

oh, and forgot to add: :wub2:

I can't actually see any contradiction here, lol. Obviously I personally prefer songs that reflect different feelings and emotions, that's why I did "wub" it :wink2: Celebrate will never be one of my personal favorites, but I still think it is very summery and worked live very well. That's why I think it's perfect for summer festivals and also a suitable new song for big audiences (who might be there just for partying or even watching other singers/bands). I knew from the beginning that I prefer MYH over Celebrate and I also "know" that I will probably love some other songs (like Underwater, Karen and maybe some new songs) even more. I still enjoyed Celebrate live and I also saw that the audience reacted very well so my conclusion is it's a good live song. I'm not sure how I need to put my words so it doesn't sound I'm making excuses for his behalf, because that was not my intention...

Edit: You were probably referring to Mika's word when talking about contradiction and not mine (I thought you were referring to mine because you quoted me). Lol, it doesn't matter, I guess we just saw his saying/doing differently.

I agree that there must be probably several better songs than Celebrate (well, we know there's UW) to use as a comeback single. I thought he might want to use Celebrate for festivals/testing and save the better songs for the autumn (and not to reveal them too early). Or, he/his record company simply sees things differently than his fans do, because the same happened with WAG and TBWKTM (WAG was not a good choice for the first single, imo).

Edited by tiibet

I'm not sure how I need to put my words so it doesn't sound I'm making excuses for his behalf, because that was not my intention :blink:

It's not the words, the action, but please don't take it personally as in that part I was referring to many earlier comments: there were several fans here who said right after its release (even before he performed it live) that although they were not particularly fond of the song itself, it would make a great festival / summer song and it sounds to me like making excuses on his behalf. (e.g."he is 'allowed to' have a summer song, no? "- or similar) Everyone is free to write that, of course, I just don't consider it relevant when we talk about a song being good or not. He is allowed to write it and I am allowed to dislike it and even change my mind and like it the next day. :dunno:

I agree that there must be probably several better songs than Celebrate (well, we know there's UW) to use as a comeback single. I thought he might want to use Celebrate for festivals/testing and save the better songs for the autumn (and not to reveal them too early). Or, he/his record company simply sees things differently than his fans do, because the same happened with WAG and TBWKTM (WAG was not a good choice for the first single, imo).

I really hope that Celebrate is a 'test' now as if it picks up across Europe he can have his case for the UK and if not, they can turn to Plan B. I must add the French market is significantly different from the UK one

so I wouldn't draw conclusions from success or failure over there.

Edited by suzie

It's not the words, the action, but please don't take it personally as in that part I was referring to many earlier comments: there were several fans here who said right after its release (even before he performed it live) that although they were not particularly fond of the song itself, it would make a great festival / summer song and it sounds to me like making excuses on his behalf. (e.g."he is 'allowed to' have a summer song, no? "- or similar) Everyone is free to write that, of course, I just don't consider it relevant when we talk about a song being good or not. He is allowed to write it and I am allowed to dislike it and even change my mind and like it the next day. :dunno:

Oh, I understand, I just thought I had written something really unclear and I didn't know how to put it better :doh: I'm in the middle of something and can't think clearly :aah::teehee:

Oh, I understand, I just thought I had written something really unclear and I didn't know how to put it better :doh: I'm in the middle of something and can't think clearly :aah::teehee:

No, absolutely not. I quoted you to refer to your post and then moved on. Perhaps I should have separated the rest of it it into clear paragraphs but it wouldn't help because sometimes I just quote people because of the topic and start talking about the topic itself, regardless of what they say.:doh::naughty:

I really hope that Celebrate is a 'test' now as if it picks up across Europe he can have his case for the UK and if not, they can turn to Plan B. I must add the French market is significantly different from the UK one

so I wouldn't draw conclusions from success or failure over there.

I really don't like the sounds of that. Madonna turned to plan B, C and D and her album never charted on the Billboard 200 at all. I don't understand how so many top industry people can be involved in producing and promoting an album and not have a clue what is going to work or not work.

I really don't like the sounds of that. Madonna turned to plan B, C and D and her album never charted on the Billboard 200 at all. I don't understand how so many top industry people can be involved in producing and promoting an album and not have a clue what is going to work or not work.

Funny you bring up Madonna because as far as I remember her promo campaign they released that totally idiotic 'Hey Mickey' / Girlfriend copycat song (don't even remember the title) and it was totally the opposite of Gang Bang, that sounded dark, cool - a good club song. I don't know what other songs featured on her album but for a 50+ woman to pose as a cheerleader and sing songs even Avril Lavigne is too old to perform now is not only embarrassing but most likely misrepresenting the rest of the album, too. :dunno: