Celebrate - First single radio listening! + Discussion & Lyrics

Funny you bring up Madonna because as far as I remember her promo campaign they released that totally idiotic 'Hey Mickey' / Girlfriend copycat song (don't even remember the title) and it was totally the opposite of Gang Bang, that sounded dark, cool - a good club song. I don't know what other songs featured on her album but for a 50+ woman to pose as a cheerleader and sing songs even Avril Lavigne is too old to perform now is not only embarrassing but most likely misrepresenting the rest of the album, too. :dunno:

Yes idiotic is the word for it. I think it was really telling when Mika said Gang Bang was his favourite track from the record because I don't think he is one to be publicly bragging and that was not his own vanity talking. I think he was just pointing out that much of the rest of the album was crap. :teehee:

oh, you have actually just worded what I have been trying to say. My biggest problem with Celebrate being the first single that it reinforces the stereotype people have of Mika. In fact, he can no longer claim to try to sound different because with this one he seems to have toed the line. His success or failure will depend a lot on how he is perceived, IMO.

I agree!

I actually heard reviewer say that when she first heard the song she liked it but she felt a bit ashamed that she liked it because she found it a bit dorky, but when she was told that it was Mika who sung the song she didn't feel ashamed liking it anymore.

And I think that tells us a lot of how the single will be perceive by the rest of the world! Try to translate the review later so the rest of you can hear what they think of the song. Because it was spontaneous and they spoke from their heart as ordinary people listening to the radio.

Who wants a positive review about the song? :pinkbow:

Mika releases new single "Celebrate" from 'The Origin Of Love

You know Mika, yeah? Wait, you ain't know Mika? Well, if you don't, you're gonna. The already massive British pop star is about to come out with his third full album, called The Origin of Love, and it's set to be a big damn deal. Mika has been making it big in Europe since 2006, and the modern-pop-meets-Queen singer is going for the musical jugular with this release. With his freaky-dynamic vocal range, universally approachable good looks and a thumb on the pop universe, Mika is set to crack the U.S. pop charts in no time flat.

Mika's one of a recent slew of pop vocalists that have fully recognized the potential for their sound to merge with electronic music, and that's exactly what you'll here with the first single off his hugely anticipated near album, called "Celebrate." The track is a straight up summer club-killer, and it's not hard to see that this track is gonna get the endless producer rework à la La Roux in no time flat (and if we're wrong about that, we'll eat our headphones).

Mika's obviously got some smart fools on his payroll, as The Origin of Love is almost mind-ruiningly filled with guests and co-stars that are guaranteed to bring this worthy songster an even larger audience. To list just a few, Benny damn Benassi, FrYars, William Orbit and some dude called Pharrell worked on the album. Get on this, you music listeners you, because if the single is any sign, this album is about to drop huge. Like Guetta huge. And in this day and age, there really ain't much huger.

Who wants a positive review about the song? :pinkbow:

Mika releases new single "Celebrate" from 'The Origin Of Love

You know Mika, yeah? Wait, you ain't know Mika? Well, if you don't, you're gonna. The already massive British pop star is about to come out with his third full album, called The Origin of Love, and it's set to be a big damn deal. Mika has been making it big in Europe since 2006, and the modern-pop-meets-Queen singer is going for the musical jugular with this release. With his freaky-dynamic vocal range, universally approachable good looks and a thumb on the pop universe, Mika is set to crack the U.S. pop charts in no time flat.

Mika's one of a recent slew of pop vocalists that have fully recognized the potential for their sound to merge with electronic music, and that's exactly what you'll here with the first single off his hugely anticipated near album, called "Celebrate." The track is a straight up summer club-killer, and it's not hard to see that this track is gonna get the endless producer rework à la La Roux in no time flat (and if we're wrong about that, we'll eat our headphones).

Mika's obviously got some smart fools on his payroll, as The Origin of Love is almost mind-ruiningly filled with guests and co-stars that are guaranteed to bring this worthy songster an even larger audience. To list just a few, Benny damn Benassi, FrYars, William Orbit and some dude called Pharrell worked on the album. Get on this, you music listeners you, because if the single is any sign, this album is about to drop huge. Like Guetta huge. And in this day and age, there really ain't much huger.

Oh, that's great. Thanks for posting :thumb_yello:

Yay! Celebrate is now available on Spotify :) Don't know if it's worldwide though.

Finally, feels like I've been waiting forever!

Thank you for letting me now :thumb_yello:

Edit: Are you sure? 'cause I just checked and I couldn't find it.

Edited by Lilasko

Finally, feels like I've been waiting forever!

Thank you for letting me now :thumb_yello:

Edit: Are you sure? 'cause I just checked and I couldn't find it.

Search for "MIKA" then scroll down to the singles, should be there somewhere :thumb_yello:

(or just search for "Celebrate")

Strange, hmm... :blink:

maybe spotify just imported it from your hard disk? :dunno: i can't find it there either, found some other songs with the same title, one of which turned out to be quite good :teehee:, but mika's song isn't on there, at least not in germany. :sad:

maybe spotify just imported it from your hard disk? :dunno: i can't find it there either, found some other songs with the same title, one of which turned out to be quite good :teehee:, but mika's song isn't on there, at least not in germany. :sad:

I thought that was the reason too but I'm using my work computer and I don't have Celebrate on this one :blink: Weird!

from Universal Music Italia

“The Origin of Love” è il terzo album di MIKA e segue il successo mondiale di ‘The Boy Who Knew Too Much’ . Il disco è anticipato dal singolo ‘Celebrate’ in radio dal 6 Luglio, un perfetto brano pop da colonna sonora estiva, scritto da Mika e Pharrell Williams , prodotto da Nick Littlemore degli Empire of the Sun e cantato con la collaborazione di Pharrell.

Celebrate on the Italian radios from july 6th! :thumb_yello:

Edited by robertina

from Universal Music Italia

“The Origin of Love” è il terzo album di MIKA e segue il successo mondiale di ‘The Boy Who Knew Too Much’ . Il disco è anticipato dal singolo ‘Celebrate’ in radio dal 6 Luglio, un perfetto brano pop da colonna sonora estiva, scritto da Mika e Pharrell Williams , prodotto da Nick Littlemore degli Empire of the Sun e cantato con la collaborazione di Pharrell.

Celebrate on the Italian radios on july 6th! :thumb_yello:

Great! :thumb_yello: I hope it will be a big hit!

Great :thumb_yello: and hopefully will we hear it on radio soon :wink2:

Edit: just looked and they've played it a lot on sr. Which is a good sign even if they don't play the most mainstream songs. They even have the song in this program Flipp eller Flopp!

http://sverigesradio.se/sida/artikel.aspx?programid=2966&artikel=5162196

So now I've finally translated this radio program review and

they play celebrate at 14:08 and then they review it at 17:14 :wink2:

Agneta to Dan: Listen to next song and then tell me who's the singer

*Celebrate is played*

Dan: All of a sudden I felt like my knowledge wasn’t enough anymore, is it someone I should have heard of?

Agneta: Yes, I think so.

Dan: is it an englishman?

Agneta: Now it’s getting hard. What do we call him?

Dan: But it isn’t a swede?

Agneta: He’s real name is Michael Holbrook Penniman

Dan: I recognize that!

Sara: *imitating Dan* ”I recognize that!”

Dan: Yes, I do

Agneta: He’s born in Beirut

Dan: in Beirut?

Agneta: But he lives since a long time ago in England

Agneta: We call him Mika

Dan: Mika?

Agneta: And not even then the penny has dropped

Dan: I give up, I give up

Agneta: So, is this good?

D: I think this was really good! It was well produced, it was tidily. It flowed easily in to the ear in someway. And I see myself often, when I listen to music, sitting in a car. It’s fun to drive to this song! You have your windows down and it's summer and everything. No, but it felt good and if I was 25 and it had been a party here I would have danced to this song.

*Dan pushes the Flip button and you hear the flip sound *

Agneta: And now it’s exiting to hear Sara, you laughed at Dan. Was he right or wrong?

Sara: Well, I found myself, now when I know it’s Mika. I thought so but I wasn’t sure because he sung much more with falsetto before. I was thinking: I don’t know why I am so happy: I don’t get my wage, I’m not going on holiday. I have no reason to be happy. And then I thought: Can it be the summer and the slightly bad judgment I got? Because I stood there and thought: Oh my god this is really good! Even if I can hear that that’s not the case. It’s a bit dorky, prerecorded synth and he howls a bit, but as soon as I heard it was Mika I felt: Then I can with clear conscience think this is really good, I mean Mika has some cred hasn’t he?

*the flip sound is played*

Dan: but he have forgotten the children

Sara: the children?

Dan: He use to have that.

Sara: Ah, but I like the fact that he talks, I like when you talk in the song.

Agneta: Aha Kjell what do you think about the song then?

Kjell: Well, I have to say that I agree with Dan and Sara. I thought this was really good, even if I didn’t recognize Mika as regular Mika so to speak, it was a little different. A little to little Falsetto and so on, but I think this song will become a hit!

I hope the translation is somewhat understandable. :mf_rosetinted:

I hope the translation is somewhat understandable. :mf_rosetinted:

It's an excellent translation but they sound a bit airheaded :teehee:

I don't understand why all these people review songs anyway. I have ears and can listen myself. Other people's opinions are meaningless because our appreciation and taste in music is unique to our own minds and is not shared with anyone else.

I don't understand why all these people review songs anyway. I have ears and can listen myself. Other people's opinions are meaningless because our appreciation and taste in music is unique to our own minds and is not shared with anyone else.

I agree with you. But at least they liked the song.

Thank you! :biggrin2:

I agree with you, you're absolutely right. I just think it's interesting to hear other people's opinions of Mika's songs, people that aren't Mika fans.

Thank you! :biggrin2:

I agree with you, you're absolutely right. I just think it's interesting to hear other people's opinions of Mika's songs, people that aren't Mika fans.

Yes, I must admit, it means more to me when people who are not Mika fans (yet) like the songs. It gives me lots of hope.

I just think it's interesting to hear other people's opinions of Mika's songs, people that aren't Mika fans.

Yes, I must admit, it means more to me when people who are not Mika fans (yet) like the songs. It gives me lots of hope.

Guess that's what music critics are for? Not sure if Dan and Agneta are actually music critics though, I don't know about them. Agree I don't care what people think as long as I like (or not) a song.

@Lilasko: May I ask, does your signature have anything to do with Calderón de la Barca?

Guess that's what music critics are for? Not sure if Dan and Agneta are actually music critics though, I don't know about them. Agree I don't care what people think as long as I like (or not) a song.

@Lilasko: May I ask, does your signature have anything to do with Calderón de la Barca?

No they are not, as far as I know. They are just radio hosts of some kind of radio program that have nothing to do with music except the part flip or flop :wink2:

No, I don't even know who that is :blush-anim-cl: Just read it in a book and I liked it very much :wink2: