Origin of Love - Song and Lyrics Discussion

suzie

yeah yeah, for me it kinda lacks of that grip, that hook of some sort of. I dunno.. it might as well grow on me later. I'll wait for the album to arrive :naughty:

If you're looking for a hook, try to go to a gig. I saw him perform it live less than 2 metres away from me. I'll never stop loving the live version :swoon:

If you're looking for a hook, try to go to a gig. I saw him perform it live less than 2 metres away from me. I'll never stop loving the live version :swoon:

I hope he will come anywhere close soon, cuz from what I heard, I like live version more too :teehee:

I don't have strong feelings about this video really. If anything I just find it a bit boring! If musicians do this sort of thing I like the videos to be either very extreme or very funny or very surreal. This is none of those things. It's just mostly snogging and cliched expressions of love (I'm a hard old cynic obvs :mf_rosetinted:)

As for the song, I did/do love the live version but like others have said here, there's just something lacking in the album version. It's too laid back and washes over me. It's nothing to do with the vocoder-ed voice either, I like that. It's more the rhythm and lack of dynamism. Rather than sounding passionate, Mika sounds a bit bored :dunno:

It's a shame but I don't think it's going to be one of my favourites from the album after all, now that I've heard it in its entirety :blink:.

Despite already having put my comment in the thread twitter mikasounds, also want to expose here.

After the excitement of seeing the video, I need to say something, I did not like, unfortunately it did not work for me :mf_rosetinted: And it's not because Mika is not in it :naughty: I love the video made to Make You Happy I found delicate, exciting, overflowing emotion, captivating :wub2:

I was frustrated because Origin Of Love is my favorite song, for while so beautiful song but the video did not pass me that :aah:

Ironic because Celebrate for example is not my favorite song and I loved the video to it.

That's it :wink2:

I love Mika and so I tried to like this film. But, the same as with MYH, I didn't work for me...

I'm not going to watch it again. It is made with talent, interesting, but it is not Mikaish at all. And doesn't fit to his songs :dunno:

So, sorry Mika, you had a wonderful idea, but..

The both films make me feel depressed and uneasy. Listening to this ideal song, I have totally different video in my mind.

I have a small question for people who are waiting for the album before listening to samples etc... (if ever you're lurking around here like me :blush-anim-cl:) : did you watch the video? I'm hesitating. We know the song but not the final album version so I think I should follow my instinct not to listen to this either...

:aah: Existential questions we have as Mika fans...

I have a small question for people who are waiting for the album before listening to samples etc... (if ever you're lurking around here like me :blush-anim-cl:) : did you watch the video? I'm hesitating. We know the song but not the final album version so I think I should follow my instinct not to listen to this either...

Yes I am going to watch it later tonight. It's a complete song and I've already heard this song in so many incarnations already I don't think it matters.

You know even in my don't-listen-to-it stance, for me the only problem is listening to it over and over again. You start drumming this incorrect version into your brain (even if the snippet is exactly what appears on the album you will interpret it differently out of context).

I think I could listen to other versions or parts of songs one time and it wouldn't impact listening to the album later. But I'm not going to risk just listening to it once. :naughty: It's easier to just pretend that the snippets and other versions aren't out there.

Yes I am going to watch it later tonight. It's a complete song and I've already heard this song in so many incarnations already I don't think it matters.

You know even in my don't-listen-to-it stance, for me the only problem is listening to it over and over again. You start drumming this incorrect version into your brain (even if it's the snippet is exactly what appears on the album you will interpret it differently out of context).

I think I could listen to other version or parts of songs one time and it wouldn't impact listening to the album later. But I'm not going to risk just listening to it once. :naughty: It's easier to just pretend that the snippets and other versions aren't out there.

Don't watch the video. I really like the album version of the song but the video does not match it in any way. I clicked off it almost straight away, the content was a little shocking! Not what I'd expected of a music video. I not gonna watch these 'mini-films' again.

Just wait for the album and you will enjoy the song much more!

I did :thumb_yello:

People are not listening to the snippets because they want to listen to the whole song. I don't know what you are wating for - the video contains the song from the beginning to the end.. :dunno:

Just wait for the album and you will enjoy the song much more!

I'm really not crazy about this song anyway. I love the one line about Adam and Eve but as someone said you can't hear the passion in the recording and I find the live version too rushed and messy.

I mean I like it but I don't see it the same way Mika seems to. I much prefer MYH and Underwater and I haven't even heard the rest of the album yet.

You guys can tell that this short film version is an early version of the song, right? It's about the same as the premiere version of T.O.O.L. that he performed at Nibe (which I filmed) and it's different towards the end (mostly I think). I adore this version!

This one is not bad as well ;)

[YOUTUBE]JJQvxOS1nNA[/YOUTUBE]

Actually, it is more than a treasure :fangurl:

My opinion is that we should watch the little films and try to understand that Mika wanted them to match his songs.

Then we cannot like them or not, but we should try to understand the work behind them.

It's the same reaction over and over again: we think we figure Mika out, and when he does not match the idea we have of him or his art, we just push him away.

I do the same, but I'd like not to, and try to understand.

Thanks for your answers. I haven't made my decision yet.

People are not listening to the snippets because they want to listen to the whole song. I don't know what you are wating for - the video contains the song from the beginning to the end.. :dunno:

I want to listen to the whole songs, on the whole album. But as we already know this one, I might just listen

It's the same reaction over and over again: we think we figure Mika out, and when he does not match the idea we have of him or his art, we just push him away.

I just received an email with this title so I think I know what's behind it. :mf_rosetinted:

BRAND NEW controversial Origin Of Love Film & Album Sampler

My opinion is that we should watch the little films and try to understand that Mika wanted them to match his songs.

Then we cannot like them or not, but we should try to understand the work behind them.

But in this case Mika himself explained what the song meant... And I don´t care if it´s Mika´s or Bieber´s... I don´t see the origin of love as Mika wants us to interpret it in this vid.

I watched the video to MYH and.... meh... but I found it "easy to see"... or "nice to see"... not sure if you understand it... (Sorry, I´ve a lack of brain today) but this one is not. As many people said before... IMO it doesn´t match the song.. you know when you turn the sound off your TV while watching a match and you listen to the radio transmission instead?? Even if they are talking about the same match, the comments etc don´t match. It´s exactly what I feel here with this vid and the song.

And if I need to watch a vid to a Mika song without Mika being a clown, a superhero, a lad in a red jacket or just a guy in a green tshirt jumping around in his basement.... then I rather have some characters of girls and lollipops and wolves than some unknown people snogging...

I understand the idea behind it, I found it interesting but without feeling to me, no work to me, just it.:wink2:

It's the first time that I don't want to show a Mika's video to someone :mf_rosetinted:

We don't all have to like everything he does, do we? It would be a bit sad if we did. So he has fans that love him but are still critical of what he does. Sounds good to me.

But I'll stop moaning about the video now and let the people that love it share their excitement and fangurl over it. I wouldn't want to ruin anyone's MFC experience :mikalove:

That video was a bit obscene! :aah:And the video reminds me too much of the MYH video. Good song, not a good video for so many reasons. Can't we just have mika jumping around to his songs again?

Yeah, that's what I want to see too!:wub2:

This one is not bad as well ;)

[YOUTUBE]JJQvxOS1nNA[/YOUTUBE]

Actually, it is more than a treasure :fangurl:

Aw, so cute! Thank you!

I wouldn't hurt him to have a shirt on thought and he gets a little ghostly look on his face when he is staring out in the air!:fisch:

But other than that it's more interesting to watch him sing than be watching a video that doesn't mean anything to me!:teehee:

But in this case Mika himself explained what the song meant... And I don´t care if it´s Mika´s or Bieber´s... I don´t see the origin of love as Mika wants us to interpret it in this vid.

I watched the video to MYH and.... meh... but I found it "easy to see"... or "nice to see"... not sure if you understand it... (Sorry, I´ve a lack of brain today) but this one is not. As many people said before... IMO it doesn´t match the song.. you know when you turn the sound off your TV while watching a match and you listen to the radio transmission instead?? Even if they are talking about the same match, the comments etc don´t match. It´s exactly what I feel here with this vid and the song.

And if I need to watch a vid to a Mika song without Mika being a clown, a superhero, a lad in a red jacket or just a guy in a green tshirt jumping around in his basement.... then I rather have some characters of girls and lollipops and wolves than some unknown people snogging...

Haha, so true!:naughty: