Origin of Love - Song and Lyrics Discussion

suzie

I thought the director simply told Sarina that the girl was in rehab and the rest was Sarina's interpretation. I think that Deb is right and the girl is receiving aversion therapy for her addiction to her relationship/the man. Love is not the cure, but the disease, at least as far as whoever has put her in rehab and the people who are treating her are concerned.

I don't mind the concept and I think it fits in well with the song. The song has a more religious slant but the whole pray-away-the-gay mentality is not too far off aversion therapy. Both cases involve brainwashing in an attempt to "cure" you. The cigarette/nicorette lines are the most jarring in the song and are going to remind anyone of the hackneyed love-is-a-drug line. So I think it all fits.

But I agree with Droopsy that the execution is just ugly. The mood, the cinematography (I use that term loosely :mf_rosetinted:), the girl herself with her boney body and matted stringy hair. I just don't feel that empathetic rush of being in love that I get from the couples in Make You Happy. I know she is supposed to be an addict so it's not going to be a Jane Austen novel come to life or anything. But even heroin has its glorious side or people wouldn't do it in the first place.

The guy is like a prop, he may as well be one of the faceless people Mika is dancing with at the end of Celebrate. The kissing seems gratuitous and unbelievable. I just don't feel like these people love each other or that she can't live without him, etc. It's not credible to me.

I just feel there should have been more of a Romeo & Juliet vibe to it or they could at least provide us with some kind of reason why love is so bad that you should avoid addiction to it... it just seems really pointless to me when portrayed by two people who could just live happily ever after for all we know :blink: I'm gonna imagine them as brother and sister, then it totally makes sense :mf_rosetinted:

I had to laugh when I read that email. Is this video controversial? Seriously? Perhaps if we're talking about how many people like it vs how many people dislike it. I can understand the nudity e.g. might depend on culture / religion. Other than that? :dunno:

For me it wasn't controversial though and I think it's quite boring they're making this big deal out of it to perhaps attract more attention.

OK, I FINALLY got the email everyone's been talking about. Why does it take me so long to get MIKA Mail? I get it like 6 hours after everyone else. :blink: Anyhow, yeah, the only thing remotely controversial about this video is the very brief nudity, and the only reason that would matter is if you were watching it at work and someone walked by who is a little uptight about that. Maybe. I think they call this "making a mountain out of a molehill." :dunno:

I liked the dog though.
Oh yes! :wub2:

yes, I get this.

but sarina implies she's in rehab for drug and love is the cure. love=drug+cure at the same time is a different perspective.

I tried to substitute "drugs" for "love" in my idea of what the video represents and it works until you see the scene where they are actually administering some kind of drugs to the woman intravenously while she's watching the movies. In this sort of behavior modification, I think therapists usually induce nausea in the patient so that they associate feeling physically ill with whatever the "undesirable behavior" is -- they used to use this sort of treatment to "cure" homosexuality back in the old days, too. :doh: So I really do think they are trying to cure this woman of her addiction to her lover, and the director's reply to Sarina was ambiguous just so she could use her own imagination and come up with her own interpretation. IMO. :original:

I just feel there should have been more of a Romeo & Juliet vibe to it or they could at least provide us with some kind of reason why love is so bad that you should avoid addiction to it... it just seems really pointless to me when portrayed by two people who could just live happily ever after for all we know :blink: I'm gonna imagine them as brother and sister, then it totally makes sense :mf_rosetinted:

:lmfao: I wasn't about to go there, but that thought did cross my mind. And I agree, the reason that being addicted to this particular lover is wrong is not crystal clear, although you do see hints of them arguing in a scene or two. But they do make the love affair seem obsessive -- it's like the lovers are completely into each other to the exclusion of just about everything and everyone else (except their dog). So maybe it's an unhealthy obsession, maybe he's married, maybe *she's* married, maybe their parents object (like Romeo and Juliet), maybe they are different religions... or maybe they are brother and sister. :fisch:

I think the open-endedness is the beauty of it -- you can use your own imagination to fill in the details.

Edited by dcdeb

well, the storyline is not exactly elaborated and I agree it does seem pointless for anyone having an 'aversion therapy' in a normal love affair. So, as there is no hint to suggest thais relationship to be extreme in any way, I guess your recommended interpretation of the two of them being brother and sister makes sense if you are looking for some sense..:roftl:

I think it would have been a better video with an even less feminine looking woman (also even more conrtoversy, of course) and a hint why their relationship is considered to be 'hazardous'.

All in all though, it was just a convenient way to skip the gay and religious topics of the song.

Edited by suzie

I don't think he had much to do with EMD, either, or even MYH and if he wanted to dissociate himself from the video he would have already done it by not letting it be aired.

To me what the video mainly lacks in is basically having any relevance to the music and also showing different levels / meanings. It is a simple one but to me it looks 'trendy' so functions well as a music video. Most people wouldn't understand complex messages, anyway.

No, indeed, but he said (even if we will never know if it´s true) that he met Fanny Ardant someday, and suddenly he realised he wanted her in his EMD video. For me that´s a way to be related to that vid.

I don´t know, I just don´t like...

Edited by basicamenteyo

Seriosly, I´m absolutely laughing my ass off now..

I think never, never, ever there were so many people agreeing on something before :aah:

I just hope Mika won´t lurke here expecting to find our approval on this vid :mf_rosetinted:

:lmfao:

Aaaaaand, now it´s when the few people who liked the vid, quote me saying they love it :mf_rosetinted:

Seriosly, I´m absolutely laughing my ass off now..

I think never, never, ever there were so many people agreeing on something before :aah:

I just hope Mika won´t lurke here expecting to find our approval on this vid :mf_rosetinted:

:lmfao:

Aaaaaand, now it´s when the few people who liked the vid, quote me saying they love it :mf_rosetinted:

I hope he does, then he won't do similar 'mistake' after :mf_rosetinted:

They just need to find the right audience for it... have it running in loop on the wall of some trendy café or whatever... :mf_rosetinted:

I think the big problem with it is that it's too different from the song. it doesn't seem to match. As a short movie, it's okay, a bit artsy for my taste, but okay on its own. But it just doesn't go with the song at all. There are people kissing, so that's love, but I don't see a proper story.

With Celebrate, although that was a music video so it's different, but I got that the papers Mika tore up, with his words on them, drifted over the city and made everyone celebrate. A simple premise, but one that worked. I think the trouble with the Origin film is that it's not so simple, you kind-of have to think about it, but that makes you not listen to the song in the same way.

It's hard to explain, but I think, with the films, the simpler - the better. Nothing complicated. That would be my advice.

OK, I'll oblige you. :wink2:

I loved it. :wub2:

In the email blurb, the director says the video has "a bit of humour".

Can anyone point out to me where it is? I mean I have a good sense of humour, but I'm struggling :lmfao:

I think it's dark humor... with a bit of irony. It's certainly not "hit you over the head" comedy! :naughty:

I think the big problem with it is that it's too different from the song. it doesn't seem to match. As a short movie, it's okay, a bit artsy for my taste, but okay on its own. But it just doesn't go with the song at all. There are people kissing, so that's love, but I don't see a proper story.

With Celebrate, although that was a music video so it's different, but I got that the papers Mika tore up, with his words on them, drifted over the city and made everyone celebrate. A simple premise, but one that worked. I think the trouble with the Origin film is that it's not so simple, you kind-of have to think about it, but that makes you not listen to the song in the same way.

It's hard to explain, but I think, with the films, the simpler - the better. Nothing complicated. That would be my advice.

I actually think it's quite simple and straightforward... My problem was that I was looking for a kinds of symbolic **** to match it with the religious aspects in the song and I was looking for hints and clues of something deeper... it just wasn't there :aah: But yeah it doesn't really match the song...or it doesn't match my interpretation of the song anyway and I find that highly annoying :sneaky2:

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL

Poor thing...:aah:

No need to talk about the director... if the poor thing lurked here to see our reaction......... he must be looking for a bridge now :mf_rosetinted:

Nooo, he suspected Mikafans would be surprised or shocked, didn't he? We're just confirming his prejudice here :mf_rosetinted:

This is about as funny as that creepy old man gurning at himself in the mirror in Elle Me Dit. :mf_rosetinted:

I liked that video... it was as absurd as the song.

OK, I'll oblige you. :wink2:

I loved it. :wub2:

I think it's dark humor... with a bit of irony. It's certainly not "hit you over the head" comedy! :naughty:

Quoting you! :thumb_yello:

This is about as funny as that creepy old man gurning at himself in the mirror in Elle Me Dit. :mf_rosetinted:

Hahah, he was my favorite as well :naughty: I thought EMD video as a little film (and not a basic Music video) too, but I love MYH and OOL more (they are better made and there's more feeling/thinking).