Origin of Love - Song and Lyrics Discussion

suzie

I was discussing the lyrics with someone this morning and for me there is a big difference between simple lyrics and "bad" lyrics. For example someone could sing nothing but "celebrate" randomly throughout a dancey/trancey song and I could like it if the music was good and the vocal sounded nice. But I hear "Nicorette" or "fish" or "blame it on the weather" :mf_rosetinted: and it makes me wince, almost as badly as if someone is singing off pitch. Some lyrics are so "bad" they can ruin an otherwise decent song.

I totally agree here. Nicorette and cigarettes evoke bad things (Slogans like "smoking kills you" and stuff are on TV every day in my country). I don´t like those words at all in a song...

I think Underwater and The Origin of Love seem to enjoy almost unanimous popularity.

I don't think so. :fisch:

People do not always voice a strong opinion on MFC because the backlash is not worth it. Especially when we have the Hate Campaigners screaming about bullying all over the net if anything "negative" is said here. :mf_rosetinted:

Aha... what I see very similar to TBWKTM is that Mika is leaking lots of songs before the release. Not sure if it´s good... or not...

..it is not a real leak. I actually think it was a good idea to 'leak' MYH to the press as that is a different side to him and more 'quality' sound.

Celebrate, I believe they believe will work 'for the masses ' - like they thought WAG would. I think they will see what happens when they release it in Europe and they will still have time to course-correct when it is time for the UK release. I consider this 'test' a clever move if they do make the right steps in case that song fails to deliver the results.

As for live performances he did sing about 5-6 songs from TBWKTM live on the acoustic tour before the album was released, so no difference there.

Edited by suzie

It's both Mika's strength and his weakness - that everyone can find a Mika song they like, but not enough people like any one song to make it a huge hit (with a few exceptions like GK, of course).

I don't think even GK is an exception. It was "the" hit in the UK but not so in some other markets. Relax was bigger in Canada (and I think France) and Love Today was the song they really pushed in the US, etc.

I don't think so. :fisch:

People do not always voice a strong opinion on MFC because the backlash is not worth it. Especially when we have the Hate Campaigners screaming about bullying all over the net if anything "negative" is said here. :mf_rosetinted:

On twitter, too, I can see that people are more enthusiastic about these songs than the ones last year although it could be that I am following a specific bunch of people :roftl:

Well, I consider it pretty much childish for people to think that 'lbeing a Mika fan' means loving anything he does and also when people get personally hurt because their taste differs from that of another person.

Edited by suzie

I don't think even GK is an exception. It was "the" hit in the UK but not so in some other markets. Relax was bigger in Canada (and I think France) and Love Today was the song they really pushed in the US, etc.

:mf_rosetinted: He's doomed, then

I was discussing the lyrics with someone this morning and for me there is a big difference between simple lyrics and "bad" lyrics. For example someone could sing nothing but "celebrate" randomly throughout a dancey/trancey song and I could like it if the music was good and the vocal sounded nice. But I hear "Nicorette" or "fish" or "blame it on the weather" :mf_rosetinted: and it makes me wince, almost as badly as if someone is singing off pitch. Some lyrics are so "bad" they can ruin an otherwise decent song.

So, I'm lucky to have a poor english (hearing). I really haven't heard words, I didn't even tried to understand them - I was just carried away by the melody and emotions, by some special feeling about some special notes.

Oh... But... were you in your "ohmyGodMikaisfantasticIlovehimmorethanmylife" period? :teehee: I mean, I think it´s different listening to a song when you are "up" in feelings (sorry, I´m a bit hard to understand sometimes) than when you are not... you know what I mean??

I just want to get rid of this feeling which is making me feel that he is losing a lot of his old fans due to his new direction...

Completely understand what you're saying and you're right. I'm a different person now. I've moved on and there are other things going on in my life that occupy a lot of my time. That was once Mika. I don't want to use the term replaced because I do still love his older stuff but I'm just not really feeling this album to be honest...is that because I'm just not fond of it? Maybe my taste has changed? Perhaps I've just let it go and gone onto something different? It could be a mixture of all these things and most likely is. I don't look at Mika in the same way anymore...

A little sad, because being his fan has given me a lot of extraordinary memories - mostly good - and it also helped me gain a lot more confidence in myself etc. But sadly it seems things have changed (it sounds like I'm breaking up with someone :naughty:) and I'll always admire him like I have done, but I just feel that there's something missing for me now.

Completely understand what you're saying and you're right. I'm a different person now. I've moved on and there are other things going on in my life that occupy a lot of my time. That was once Mika. I don't want to use the term replaced because I do still love his older stuff but I'm just not really feeling this album to be honest...is that because I'm just not fond of it? Maybe my taste has changed? Perhaps I've just let it go and gone onto something different? It could be a mixture of all these things and most likely is. I don't look at Mika in the same way anymore...

A little sad, because being his fan has given me a lot of extraordinary memories - mostly good - and it also helped me gain a lot more confidence in myself etc. But sadly it seems things have changed (it sounds like I'm breaking up with someone :naughty:) and I'll always admire him like I have done, but I just feel that there's something missing for me now.

Yes, exactly. I felt like you months ago, but suddenly I came back :aah: As you say this fanclub or the people I´ve met in gigs etc made good to me, and I feel... I don´t know, I´m happy with this. And somehow I am a bit scared that Mika could scare everybody out... you know... like totally renewing his fanbase...

I think I need to go sleep :mf_rosetinted:

Come on, even I understand some words. All from songs I used to sing with a choir :roftl:

For a time I was able to speak Latin... seriously... like simultaneous translation... but with that distorted voice, I can´t understand a thing :aah:

I still could translate if you find out what he says...

I just want to get rid of this feeling which is making me feel that he is losing a lot of his old fans due to his new direction...

Y somehow I am a bit scared that Mika could scare everybody out... you know... like totally renewing his fanbase...

Underwater and The Origin of Love are not part of any new direction - at least the live versions are not. Neither was BIOTW or Karen. You may simply like or disclike them:dunno:

Concernig Make YOu Happy and Celebrate they are different but at the same time, the complete opposite of each other, so from these two there is no clar new direction, not to me, either...

I think it could be the case of people getting a bit tired of waiting or losing interest in him as time goes by. It does happen.

It's almost like OOL is a variation on the theme of Underwater :naughty:

they were written at the same time, no? Blame it on the lousy Montreal weather:sneaky2: it gave him mushy feelings:thumb_yello:

I don,t know I can I label myself but I absolutely love all the new songs. :mf_rosetinted:

It's just occurred to me that this song sounds a bit like Life by Des'ree in places :shocked: Well to me it does, anyway.

I would post a video of that song but I seem to have completely forgotten how to embed videos here :blink::blink::blink::lmfao:

Underwater and The Origin of Love are not part of any new direction - at least the live versions are not. Neither was BIOTW or Karen. You may simply like or disclike them:dunno:

Concernig Make YOu Happy and Celebrate they are different but at the same time, the complete opposite of each other, so from these two there is no clar new direction, not to me, either...

I think it could be the case of people getting a bit tired of waiting or losing interest in him as time goes by. It does happen.

ok, whatever... :aah: as long as you all don´t leave suddenly it´ll be ok :aah:

Yes it's just too little too late for me. I'll always support Mika but I've lost most of my interest in going to gigs and my interest in hearing the album is about 1/10th of what it was for TBWKTM. And consequently my reactions to the songs are going to be 1/10th the reaction, no matter what the quality. I could have been just as critical of the songs on TBWKTM but I loved them just because I loved Mika and everything about him at that time so I enjoyed them no matter what. Now I am approaching his music more or less like I would anyone else's.

It's nice to hear that he's so happy instead of his non-credible whining about how hard his life has been, but I've been disappointed to realize over the past couple of years that he doesn't even consider himself a musician. I don't think Mika loves music as much as I do and the reason I connect so much with Adele and Paolo Nutini is because it's a true passion for them. They seem to have zero interest in all the other distractions that go along with being a pop star and it shows in their music.

It's just occurred to me that this song sounds a bit like Life by Des'ree in places :shocked: Well to me it does, anyway.

I would post a video of that song but I seem to have completely forgotten how to embed videos here :blink::blink::blink::lmfao:

[YOUTUBE]V5Ej_WQhKSI[/YOUTUBE]

Take the end bit of code of the YT URL and wrap it in youtube \youtube tags (with square brackets).

Yes it's just too little too late for me. I'll always support Mika but I've lost most of my interest in going to gigs and my interest in hearing the album is about 1/10th of what it was for TBWKTM. And consequently my reactions to the songs are going to be 1/10th the reaction, no matter what the quality. I could have been just as critical of the songs on TBWKTM but I loved them just because I loved Mika and everything about him at that time so I enjoyed them no matter what. Now I am approaching his music more or less like I would anyone else's.

It's nice to hear that he's so happy instead of his non-credible whining about how hard his life has been, but I've been disappointed to realize over the past couple of years that he doesn't even consider himself a musician. I don't think Mika loves music as much as I do and the reason I connect so much with Adele and Paolo Nutini is because it's a true passion for them. They seem to have zero interest in all the other distractions that go along with being a pop star and it shows in their music.

I hear you, C.