Origin of Love - Song and Lyrics Discussion

suzie

This is stressing us a bit. Ok. Im now leaving to Russia to kidnap him. I wont let him go untill he writes down everything in these lyrics. Can anyone come with me??

The thing is, I doubt these lines will ever be written down ar especially the way he sings them. (- see 'She's a player and a down right bore' in lyrics vs whore in live versions :teehee:)

Hmmmmm....

At first I didn't like it, but I have to say that the song in the Tallinn vid sounds much better with the bass and the drums (and Mika's singing sounds better)...

Try the version from Saturday - even better::thumb_yello:

Guys, I think he actually says "batismo", and not "machismo".

:no: he sings something with tʃ sound and that is pretty uncommon in Latin, I think, if existing at all. Can anyone confirm it?

PS: also, I still totally hear padre and madre. :roftl:

Edited by suzie

[YOUTUBE]UbOeI7mh2Qg[/YOUTUBE]

The Best TOOL Live so Far. :wub2: Still think some sounds seem missing and vacant in certain part.. but his voice is stable and recorded well.

This song stole my soul

:wub2::wub2::wub2::wub2::wub2::wub2:

This is so weird, I don't really in love with this song. I find it nice, cool, ok.. but you guys really adore it! can't stop listening, saying it's the new GK.

WHAT'S WRONG WITH ME ?!? :banghead: I'm supposed to love the song! It's a hit, isn't it?? I hear it over and over again, trying to like it but I can't... :dunno::dunno:

never happened to me :tears:

I guess I'll wait for the CD version...

This is so weird, I don't really in love with this song. I find it nice, cool, ok.. but you guys really adore it! can't stop listening, saying it's the new GK.

WHAT'S WRONG WITH ME ?!? :banghead: I'm supposed to love the song! It's a hit, isn't it?? I hear it over and over again, trying to like it but I can't... :dunno::dunno:

Nothing wrong with you :wink2: People perceive songs in different ways. Sometimes you are feeling like you are the only one who loves a song to death, sometimes it seems that you are the only one that isn't euphoric. If it wouldn't be that way, then something would be really wrong :wink2:

Nothing wrong with you :wink2: People perceive songs in different ways. Sometimes you are feeling like you are the only one who loves a song to death, sometimes it seems that you are the only one that isn't euphoric. If it wouldn't be that way, then something would be really wrong :wink2:

thank you ~wipes my nose~ (we should have that smily:shun:)

:flowers2:

I`m becoming obsessed with the song!I heard it for the first time at Nibe and thought it was quite good,but every time I`ve heard it since it just keept getting better and better!Oh,I cannot wait fot the new album♥

I felt the same about MYH and especially Celebrate. :huglove: Now I kinda like MYH and can tolerate Celebration... But IO don't like Lola at all.

So, for every MFCer there is an own special song.

I was worried too, hearing the total fargurling when first 2 songs appeared.

But now I have TOOL for myself, and I'm happy and satisfied! :wub2:

So, my advice: don't listen to it, forget about it, just don't care. Maybe when you hear the album version the situation will be absolutely different :wink2:

And ask Rosita, she moaned that she felt nothing about Underwater after the Seoul gig. Ask her how she coped with it :thumb_yello:

I`m becoming obsessed with the song!I heard it for the first time at Nibe and thought it was quite good,but every time I`ve heard it since it just keept getting better and better!Oh,I cannot wait fot the new album♥

I often sing it so loudly in the kitchen while cooking these days :naughty: I love it too

I felt the same about MYH and especially Celebrate. :huglove: Now I kinda like MYH and can tolerate Celebration... But IO don't like Lola at all.

So, for every MFCer there is an own special song.

I was worried too, hearing the total fargurling when first 2 songs appeared.

But now I have TOOL for myself, and I'm happy and satisfied! :wub2:

So, my advice: don't listen to it, forget about it, just don't care. Maybe when you hear the album version the situation will be absolutely different :wink2:

And ask Rosita, she moaned that she felt nothing about Underwater after the Seoul gig. Ask her how she coped with it :thumb_yello:

oh thank you, I feel better...:huglove: I hope I'll change my mind tho..

I didn't like MYH also at the beginning, now I'm almost addicted to it:teehee:

Edit: you don't like Lola?! Are you insane?! :naughty::naughty::wink2:

Edited by lollipop161

i think the reoccuring theme for aaaaaall this TOOL album talk is that every song is dividing people's opinions xD

Mika is still a marmite artist for sure :aah:

Edited by kreacher

Who knows, who knows! :fisch:

I will check my sanity when the album is out :mf_rosetinted:

:wink2::teehee:

I really hope to like it... But if no - in the album there is always Underwater to save me :swoon:

Who knows, who knows! :fisch:

I will check my sanity when the album is out :mf_rosetinted:

:wink2::teehee:

I really hope to like it... But if no - in the album there is always Underwater to save me :swoon:

totally, UW :swoon: at least we have some agreement :mf_rosetinted:

I think it's okay as well and don't understand the comparisons to GK either. I think it has several flaws whereas GK is a masterpiece. I expect a bit more out of the recorded version but the cringey lyrics will still be there, so...

I think it's okay as well and don't understand the comparisons to GK either. I think it has several flaws whereas GK is a masterpiece. I expect a bit more out of the recorded version but the cringey lyrics will still be there, so...

Although I didn't compare this to GK, I think the ones who have may mean this song to be of similar significance in Mika's career: the start of a new beginning. I most certainly believe has that potential. What they made out of it on record will decide its fate - and of course a lot will depend on how they manage to promote it.

I also thought the lyrics were cringey when I saw Mika's tweet months ago. However, somehow in this upbeat pop song where he is defying the church's teaching, basically, these lines are acceptable. His language does not need to be serious or even well-thought out, it can sound absurd. Actually, earlier today I changed my first post to add a few lines on the song and compared it to "Supreme" - a song by Robbie Williams -, in terms of the type of grotesque lyrics and uplifting sound it has as well as the mass appeal it may have across the world but the US, probably. At least that's how I see it.

Musically it reminds me of a lot of songs all compressed in one, like some early 80s Erasure and Yazoo to 'All You Need Is Love' - all in its feel, not the concrete melody of course. I do think it is a great one and I now my view on the Nicorette line is completely the opposite of what it was before: I find it to be fitting the addictive, "I don't care what they think" type of nature of the song.

If this song doesn't 'break him' to a larger audience nothing else will...

Edited by suzie

I also thought the lyrics were cringey when I saw Mika's tweet months ago. However, somehow in this upbeat pop song where he is defying the church's teaching, basically, these lines are acceptable.

My feeling is the exact opposite. In the right song these lines could have worked but they are totally out of place here. It's as if he wrote that one verse independent of TOOL and loved it so much he inserted it here where it doesn't belong.

I can actually handle the Nicorette/cigarette pairing, I think it's the "I'm feeling sick I've got to medicate myself" that makes me cringe. It is so cliched, and it has nothing to do with the rest of the song. It's like a sample taken from Bad Case of Loving You and added to this unrelated song about defying the church's teachings on romantic love.

I also think "origin of love" is an awkward phrase for a song, or at least for this melody because it seems too rushed, trying to fit all those syllables in time. And as Nono pointed out, his pronunciation of "origin" is odd.

Anyway people can love it all they want and it would be great if it was a huge hit. But personally I find Lola, for example, is more pleasant to listen to and sing along with and the lyrics are tight and logical.

I also think "origin of love" is an awkward phrase for a song, or at least for this melody because it seems too rushed, trying to fit all those syllables in time. And as Nono pointed out, his pronunciation of "origin" is odd.

I totally agree with that! I think that's why the song doesn't stuck in my head... it's like a mess of syllables.

Also, the part of "love love love love, the origin of love love love..." is kinda not fixed to me, unnecessary :dunno: don't know how it will sound on the record tho

Edited by lollipop161

You know, I'm starting to use to Lola. Right now watching the French vid of Lola, and perceive it much better.

So you have all the chances with TOOL!

:no: he sings something with tʃ sound and that is pretty uncommon in Latin, I think, if existing at all. Can anyone confirm it?

PS: also, I still totally hear padre and madre. :roftl:

Yes, that's what made me think it was "machismo" in the first place, but then considering it... only Portuguese (and maybe especially Brazilian people) speakers can confirm what I say, but e-v-e-r-y t-i-m-e I hear an English speaker speaking Portuguese, "T" sounds like txxxxxxxxxx. :aah: It's like saying "batxismo" instead of "batismo". :teehee: We actually do that a little as well, but it doesn't sound so "strong" (can't find a proper word here), and it seems that when an English speaker tries to learn words like these, they try to reproduce the sound we make but it doesn't work. :naughty:

For me, the missing words are these :

Patre deus, deus baptismo

Patre deus, deus baptismo

In ordre mater, deus baptismo

In excelso santo spirito

I'm with you. :thumb_yello:

I actually really like the song.mostly the beginning and the end though. as soon as the first verse starts I`m kind of getting to getbored:blink:... it seems so long then and sth doesn´t fit for me.

I think it has the potential to be a hit...depends a lot on how the studiorecording will be. I hope it will but my hopes are not too high for Germany... MAybe Celebrate will have a chance here.

You know, I'm starting to use to Lola. Right now watching the French vid of Lola, and perceive it much better.

So you have all the chances with TOOL!

Of course you will use to Lola :mf_rosetinted:

Also, the french version is better :wink2:

I hope the same thing will happen to me with TOOL! I like the song, but I can't say "OMG OMG what a song, I'm eddicted!" Yet. :teehee:

My feeling is the exact opposite. In the right song these lines could have worked but they are totally out of place here. It's as if he wrote that one verse independent of TOOL and loved it so much he inserted it here where it doesn't belong.

I can actually handle the Nicorette/cigarette pairing, I think it's the "I'm feeling sick I've got to medicate myself" that makes me cringe. It is so cliched, and it has nothing to do with the rest of the song. It's like a sample taken from Bad Case of Loving You and added to this unrelated song about defying the church's teachings on romantic love.

Anyway people can love it all they want and it would be great if it was a huge hit. But personally I find Lola, for example, is more pleasant to listen to and sing along with and the lyrics are tight and logical.

I agree with you about the lyrics. Cringey in places. The bit that gets me is the repetition of 'cigarettes' in the third line. He's already said cigarettes and to repeat it sounds...weird.

However I still love the song and think he gets away with it, just, as you are kind of swept along with it and the cigarette motif isn't shoved down your throat too often.

Trouble is, I can see the lyrics getting some stick from critics. Then again, what's new :aah:.