Origin of Love - Song and Lyrics Discussion

suzie

My feeling is the exact opposite. In the right song these lines could have worked but they are totally out of place here. It's as if he wrote that one verse independent of TOOL and loved it so much he inserted it here where it doesn't belong.

I can actually handle the Nicorette/cigarette pairing, I think it's the "I'm feeling sick I've got to medicate myself" that makes me cringe. It is so cliched, and it has nothing to do with the rest of the song. It's like a sample taken from Bad Case of Loving You and added to this unrelated song about defying the church's teachings on romantic love.

I also think "origin of love" is an awkward phrase for a song, or at least for this melody because it seems too rushed, trying to fit all those syllables in time. And as Nono pointed out, his pronunciation of "origin" is odd.

Anyway people can love it all they want and it would be great if it was a huge hit. But personally I find Lola, for example, is more pleasant to listen to and sing along with and the lyrics are tight and logical.

That is also how I feel about it :dunno:

I totally agree with that! I think that's why the song doesn't stuck in my head... it's like a mess of syllables.

Also, the part of "love love love love, the origin of love love love..." is kinda not fixed to me, unnecessary :dunno: don't know how it will sound on the record tho

Again, agreed

However I still love the song and think he gets away with it, just, as you are kind of swept along with it and the cigarette motif isn't shoved down your throat too often.

Trouble is, I can see the lyrics getting some stick from critics. Then again, what's new :aah:.

Ha, well at least it will be talked about. :teehee:

I am hoping the production irons out some of the issues I'm having with this song and as you say you just get swept up in a song when everything else about it is so great. I really don't like hearing the live versions first and wish this had "leaked" instead of MYH. It's going to be hard for me to shake my first impressions even if the track is the masterpiece that GK was.

I like the melody, which is quite varied, the way he sings and the chorus, but not the lyrics, and can't relate to the song; although listening to it is pleasant and entertaining, I don't feel involved, unlike with most Mika music

Edited by mari62

It's like saying "batxismo" instead of "batismo". :teehee:

But that word doesn't even start with 'b' - and there is a very strong tS sound in that word.

Patre deus - apparently, this is not correct in Latin as it would have to be Pater Deus.

I keep hearing it in Spanish (padre Deus), in any case :teehee:

baptismo - I don't hear these consonants at all

In ordre mater - does ordre mean anything in Latin or any language as there is no track of it :blink:

In excelso santo spirito - this line starts with deus, I think.

Maybe I'm too late to contribute to the solution but have you considered this?

Deus_ex_machina

Yes, I have considered that but that's not what he sings :roftl:

I don't think it's related to that, also because machina hasn't got the tʃ sound

yes, it is not really fitting the context of the song, either.

I'll go and listen to the version from Nibe now- he sang it there vs played it recorded elsewhere .

:Update: I hear he sings 'magis' (more / better) in the third line :roftl:

I think the Nibe version is clearer

Edited by suzie

Ok, this has been bugging me since I heard The Orgin (:naughty:) Of Love because I couldn't identify it, but it TOTALLY reminded me of an old song, and today it finally came to me!!!

I wonder if anyone else hears it? For me it was instantaneous; The first time I heard TOOL, I immediately 'recognised' this:

[YOUTUBE]355Fk8drgZE[/YOUTUBE]

With a bit of this:

[YOUTUBE]HeR9_7cACUc[/YOUTUBE]

Especially from 01:13 on this one:

[YOUTUBE]XDJTcFO2aJA[/YOUTUBE]

Oh and a little bit of "One Foot Boy" mixed with it.

Edited by sariflor

@sariflor I don't hear any similarity with either of these songs :dunno: but then songs remind people of other ones for different reasons.

:lmfao: Well, there goes my theory then :naughty: I swear I find them quite similar at times :wink2:

:lmfao: Well, there goes my theory then :naughty: I swear I find them quite similar at times :wink2:

Perhaps your theory is right but I hear my own theory in the keyboard bit, the melody of the beginning of the verses and a short guitar part, plus the love love love bit - all different songs but I'm not going to post them here. :teehee:

I actually love when songs pleasantly remind me of others, especially when it its only the style, not the exact melody. For example, I listened to the Lola snippet just now and decided it reminded me of 70s Bee Gees :pinkbow:.

Edited by suzie

Amazing!! As someone said to a journalist "I dont care. If you want to talk rubbish about me,it is ok. Do it. But be sure you write my name right".

This is what I think about this song. I love everybody commenting on it. As long as people comment it,its ok :aah:

I agree about the lyrics,they are not ideal and stuff,and maybe it could make the song fail in UK. But in Spain?? Nobody here speaks English!! LOL As long as its catchy and good,it can success here. I wouldnt vote for Celebrate. Its not ordinary enough... But people here know Mika is odd. So I think this song could represent Mika far better than Celebrate (in Spain).

And I think someone mentioned me about UW. I still find that song too flat and didnt bother to listen to it at Deferiantes or Tallin. SORRY :aah:

I think someone mentioned me about UW. I still find that song too flat and didnt bother to listen to it at Deferiantes or Tallin. SORRY :aah:

What do you mean by 'flat'? He sings it well and in key. Do you mean 'boring'?

What do you mean by 'flat'? He sings it well and in key. Do you mean 'boring'?

Sorry,sometimes I hear new words and then I use them wrong :aah:

I mean that it is a bit...how to say... simple?? I dont feel anything while listening to it. I love Karen to death,but UW... :dunno: same happens with "By The Time". I cant stand that song... It doesnt mean that I dont know the lyrics. I know them and will sing along in Portugal,but wouldnt buy it if it were a single...

I mean that it is a bit...how to say... simple?? I dont feel anything while listening to it. I love Karen to death,but UW... :dunno: same happens with "By The Time". I cant stand that song... .

oh, I see. I was just interested in what you meant. I actually have the opposite opinion on all these 3 songs :teehee:

And I think someone mentioned me about UW. I still find that song too flat and didnt bother to listen to it at Deferiantes or Tallin. SORRY :aah:

Yep, it was me. So, do you still not like it??? I thought you liked it finally! So pity....

In this one-minute-long interview he talks about the song

Little audio interview from anr.dk, better than nothing hehe

http://www.anr.dk/media/205159/anr_5_juli_2012_16_48_29.mp3

Thanks Lara! :wub2:

you can d/l right-clicking on it

I've uploaded on mikatube as well

http://mikatube.com/audio/154/mika-short-interview-at-nibe-denmark-5-juli-2012

atm you need a password to enter the site, have a look at the Media section :wink2:

Yep, it was me. So, do you still not like it??? I thought you liked it finally! So pity....

Me and UW are now friends. Not BFF. Just friends :aah: I forced myself to listen to it in order to learn the lyrics,but its not in my mp3 player yet. Itll probably be once we get the official version tho.

I felt the same way about UW too, but to me it seems that he changed the last minute of the song? Now it's much more enjoyable. I recommend you listen to it at Deferiantes or Tallin. :)

Opposites attract :biggrin2:

oh, and I even forgot to add how much I :wub2: Over My Shoulder :swoon:

:teehee:

That song is the most impressive thing I ever experimented in my whole life. When he sang it at my first gig, at that very moment I realised I was going to like him forever...