2012 - Podcast: Radio Mika Episodes

mari62

Mika had tweeted about an upcoming podcast, so here it is!

"Making radio podcasts that will be serialised and put in my website. Just finished the first one this am. Old school radio show. Stay tuned

28 Jun 12"

Mika's Tunes - Listen to an exclusive podcast from the pop singer

mika500.jpg

With new album The Origin Of Love on the way, it seems we'll be hearing a lot from Mika come September.

However as something of a musical warm-up, plus to explain where he's coming from, the singer is launching new podcast Radio Mika and has given the play of the first part, Babs To Madeon Via Beirut, exclusively to Q.

You can listen to the full show below, but here's the man himself to explain exactly what it's all about...

Mika: "I started off in classical music, was thrown into it actually, kicked out of school at the age of 10 unable to read or write, the next best thing was to make music, so I sang.

"I worked as a classical singer and wanted to write pop songs. I grew up listening to jazz, soul, reggae, pop, 60s rock and everything else. It wasn't about lifestyle or icons, it was about music. As we moved from place to place, it was my tape collection that I kept bringing around with me.

"To this day the music I make is a result of this clash of cultures and the constant desire to figure out where I come from. Making these radio podcasts is a perfect way to explain and explore the strange tapestry of music that I find inspiring or that just make me feel good. From Streisand to Cornelius, this is the antidote to snobs and their boxes."

http://news.qthemusic.com/2012/07/mikas_tunes_-_listen_to_an_exc.html

===============================================================================================================

We'll gather all episodes here, hoping that we'll have plenty of them!

Episode 1 : Babs to Madeon via Beirut

d/l link: http://www.mediafire.com/?nhfxoby6nxh5biz

Transcript http://www.mikafanclub.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3737194&postcount=40 by Christine

With subtitles:

Radio Mika Episode 1: Transcription by Christine, sync by Elwendin

Direct

[YOUTUBE]5StHkIJQL4w[/YOUTUBE]

Edited by mari62
updating content

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It´s great!

I wish it would be more about his own music... but I like how he shares his tastes and it´s not a simple "I´m a star look at me and my awesomeness" broadcast.

omg that last "song" made me insane!! :aah: ah ah ah ah ah ah ah ah ah...

It's very COOL !! :mikadas:

Laurie Anderson - O Superman

[YOUTUBE]vzYu88jIDYs[/YOUTUBE]

It's very COOL !! :mikadas:

Laurie Anderson - O Superman

[YOUTUBE]vzYu88jIDYs[/YOUTUBE]

No it's madness :aah:

He actually bought me once more with this. :wub2: Laurie is great. She has very original approach to music, artistic, experimental. You shouldn't judge her so easily. Her concert is one of the best I've seen. But it's not a typical rock, pop concert or anything like that, and you have to know what to expect when you go to see her. She uses video a lot an lyrics are very important. I'm not surprised at all that Mika likes her.

Oh yes, one more plus for her - she's Lou Reeds wife. What a couple!

He actually bought me once more with this. :wub2: Laurie is great. She has very original approach to music, artistic, experimental. You shouldn't judge her so easily. Her concert is one of the best I've seen. But it's not a typical rock, pop concert or anything like that, and you have to know what to expect when you go to see her. She uses video a lot an lyrics are very important. I'm not surprised at all that Mika likes her.

Oh yes, one more plus for her - she's Lou Reeds wife. What a couple!

Indeed.

She was well ahead of her time with her music. Quite an innovator.

O Superman, brilliant record and just a little bit scary. :freak: Apart from stuff like Kraftwerk and a few other electronic innovators, you just didn't get vocoded vocals back then and it was unnerving but also very cool.

I remember when it was #1. Along with Tubeway Army's 'Are Friends Electric?' from 1979, it was like listening to the future, back then.

I always thought Laurie Anderson was interesting although it's not something I would listen to while trying to muster up energy to clean the house. :naughty:

I couldn't understand the criticism of Make You Happy - saying he was jumping on the bandwagon to try to get in the charts or that it's autotuned. These vocoded vocals have been used for decades and it's different from that "Cher effect" autotuning that's been so abused the past few years. I think as long as it's used sparingly it can be very effective.

i love the fact that he does a radio podcast! :wub2: i just hope it won't continue with the songs like in this first episode... i loved the first 2 songs, the next 2 were ok, and the last one was horrible imo. - so if it continues going downhill from there in part 2, i don't wanna know how the next songs will sound... :teehee: but i guess not... if every part is a mixture like this first one, and it sounds like that'll be the case, i probably will find at least one song that i like in every episode. :biggrin2: in any case i love hearing what he has to say about the music he chooses. :thumb_yello: