Mika: 'I'd Love To Write A Song With One Direction!'

Milda

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't slag off One Direction until you hear it people. It's better than much of what is on the charts like Katy Perry et al IMO. And it's certainly better than Blame It On The Weather. :mf_rosetinted:

Poor Weather song again :fisch:

I think, after the year of anathema, it will hardly appear in the new album :aah: Mika will have less time to choose 12 songs from 16. Or, maybe he will choose it just for the sake of trolling :naughty:

well, seriously, what should mika say if the interviewer asks him about one direction? maybe this songwriting thing was his way of saying that he hates their music like it is and is sure he could do a better job. :naughty: no, actually i don't know a single song of them (video that christine posted doesn't work in germany :aah:), so i won't judge them... but in any case i think it's clever of mika to mention 1D and bieber in an interview, because they have a lot of fans who might also like mika - and if their names appear on the web and mika says something positive about them (like bieber's soft hands), their fans might find it and might want to know who this mika is, discover his music, buy his record... he loses nothing and might gain a few new fans this way, no matter if he really ever writes for or with them or intends to do this. :wink2:

This is my point of view too. If the 1D fans or the JB fans do a search (the way a lot of MFCers do) they'll find Mika's comments about their favourites. Then (as we so often do) they will look for Mika and we all know what happens when people get a look at that gorgeous face, and hear that gorgeous voice.

And Christine (I've never got the hang of multi-replying to posts) but I do understand that songwriters didn't write for GLEE, it was that the cast sang established songs. But I personally saw no harm in them attempting GK or HE, or one of his other songs like WAG. Because I remember when they did DSB, and The Journey's original version got airplay, and got into the charts too. The song and the group got a new lease of life.

My own feelings are always that I want Mika to be HUGE. Writing for other people would help this to happen. Just as the Brothers Gibb, when they were not making their own music for a time, wrote for other people and stayed in the public eye.

Earlier on this year, Gary Barlow organised a concert for the Queen's Jubilee, based on 60 years of pop music.

Q - Was Mika invited?

A - No, despite GKs success and the success of LICM. They had Cheryl Cole there, who, if there was an Olympic Miming-to-a-recorded-track Event, would win Gold for Britain.

Q - Will Mika be singing on the closing day of the Olympics?

A - No, despite him writing the perfect song for the event.

Like I say, I want him to be huge. He should eventually be in these concerts, eventually, being the one to even organise them if he would wish to do so. But definately be asked to sing. There is no one with a better live voice and performance, than him.

Meanwhile, it's good for him to write for other artists, as Mika, not some silly alias. He needs to get back in the public eye again.

I do love his new podcasts and vlogs. That is a good strategy and it's making us really happy.

Edited by Marilyn Mastin

i think it's clever of mika to mention 1D and bieber in an interview, because they have a lot of fans who might also like mika - and if their names appear on the web and mika says something positive about them (like bieber's soft hands), their fans might find it and might want to know who this mika is, discover his music, buy his record... he loses nothing and might gain a few new fans this way

Do you seriously believe he'd do such cheap publicity for himself? I don't. If he was of that kind, he would have done it a long time ago. He has seen a lot of his friends rise to fame and he hardly says a word about them and especially not use them this way.

I think it is in Mika's personality that if he can't say much positive about Bieber's music he says that he is a nice chap. Similarly, he has no particular opinion on a manufactured band, so he says he'd like to participate in the mechanism of creating this chewing gum pop act as a songwriter.

Simple thoughts for simple journalists / tabloids. He is not going to say the same thing when interviewed by Q magazine. for example.

Edited by suzie

Poor Weather song again :fisch:

I think, after the year of anathema, it will hardly appear in the new album :aah: Mika will have less time to choose 12 songs from 16. Or, maybe he will choose it just for the sake of trolling :naughty:

Don't slag off One Direction until you hear it people. It's better than much of what is on the charts like Katy Perry et al IMO. And it's certainly better than Blame It On The Weather. :mf_rosetinted:

I don't understand what's bad with " Blame It On The Weather" ? It aroused in me jealousy only. No other bad emotions

Do you seriously believe he'd do such cheap publicity for himself? I don't. If he was of that kind, he would have done it a long time ago. He has seen a lot of his friends rise to fame and he hardly says a word about them and especially not use them this way.

I think it is in Mika's personality that if he can't say much positive about Bieber's music he says that he is a nice chap. Similarly, he has no particular opinion on a manufactured band, so he says he'd like to participate in the mechanism of creating this chewing gum pop act as a songwriter.

Simple thoughts for simple journalists / tabloids. He is not going to say the same thing when interviewed by Q magazine. for example.

He does not talk about them. He just meeting with them at a particular peak of their fame at "random" paparazzi. At one time Perry, Gaga, Dita. Although Dita bit not fits into this concept. Is it expensive? Well, it's good for Him. And yes, He chosen the way of Gaga.

Edited by Lena

I agree, and agree about Justin Bieber too. I mean, he is just a nice-looking kid making music. I'm not interested in his music (to tell the truth I don't much bother get to know it :teehee:), but he has a lot of young fans, hasn't he? So I just can't understand JB hate I have seen (on twitter etc) at all. Why doesn't people ignore him if they don't like him? :blink:

He does not talk about them. He just meeting with them at a particular peak of their fame at "random" paparazzi. At one time Perry, Gaga, Dita. Although Dita bit not fits into this concept. Is it expensive? Well, it's good for Him. And yes, He chosen the way of Gaga.

When did he have that random paparazzi photoshoot with Katy Perry? When SHE needed it - with her first ever single released. Similarly, Gaga was not at the peak of her fame and neither was Adele when they were hanging out together.

I agree, and agree about Justin Bieber too. I mean, he is just a nice-looking kid making music. I'm not interested in his music (to tell the truth I don't much bother get to know it :teehee:), but he has a lot of young fans, hasn't he? So I just can't understand JB hate I have seen (on twitter etc) at all. Why doesn't people ignore him if they don't like him? :blink:

I feel NOTHING for Justin. But I hate when his fans start collapsing my twitter asking "Who is that Queen and why has he stolen Justin's song?" Then,people try to expkain them who Mr. Freddie was and they keep saying that Justin is FAR BETTER than that old and ugly man. that is what annoys me big time. Not Justin. Justin is just a pretty face

When did he have that random paparazzi photoshoot with Katy Perry? When SHE needed it - with her first ever single released. Similarly, Gaga was not at the peak of her fame and neither was Adele when they were hanging out together.

Hmm And I forgot about Adele... Well, not all were paparazzi. Well. Perhaps it was an randomness. But when their names were fresh and at the hearing even at us, then Mika appeared also. When this happened, I felt not out of place and uncomfortable.

I have not invented it just now. These ideas began to appear from 2008, since Perry. I understand that this is mutual aid. But it is not a coincidence. Or is it my vision.

But I personally saw no harm in them attempting GK or HE, or one of his other songs like WAG. Because I remember when they did DSB, and The Journey's original version got airplay, and got into the charts too. The song and the group got a new lease of life.

My own feelings are always that I want Mika to be HUGE. Writing for other people would help this to happen. Just as the Brothers Gibb, when they were not making their own music for a time, wrote for other people and stayed in the public eye.

No I totally agree with that. I just find it personally difficult to get behind it because of my own feelings. But if other fans want to campaign for this and Mika does it, that's great. Anything that works. :wink2:

I agree about Bieber but I think he must like 1D to say anything like what he did. It was quite obvious he did not want to be associated with Boyzone or even discuss it when that story first broke, long before Stephen Gately died.

I find all this snobbery funny. Pop music is what it is and Mika has been shouting that he's a pop musician from the rooftops since 2006. I don't know why everyone expects him to be "better", as if he's in a different genre.

Of course there is a lot to be said for the fact that Mika writes his own music and he has much better vocal skills than just about any male singer out there and most of the women. But a good pop song is a good pop song whether it's sung by Adele or some cute teenage boys. And good pop songs are usually light and fun and full of joy.

I don't understand what's bad with " Blame It On The Weather" ?

Sorry the lyrics are terrible. :aah:

Why doesn't people ignore him if they don't like him? :blink:

Because he is on top and everyone wants to knock the person on top down. :naughty:

A lot of people were hoping that he was a flash in the pan when he was 16 years old but I have always thought he is going to be around for a long time. I think his music is still meh but everyone in the music industry wants to be associated with this kid so I think it's only a matter of time before he moves into the adult world like Justin Timberlake did and sucks everyone in with something a la Sexy Back.

I agree about Bieber but I think he must like 1D to say anything like what he did. It was quite obvious he did not want to be associated with Boyzone or even discuss it when that story first broke, long before Stephen Gately died.

Call me ignorant but I can't see a difference between One Direction and Boyzone, except that the first consists of way better looking lads than the last. :dunno:

I don't think Mika's reluctance to give the go-ahead on that song was about Boyzone, the band, but more about the song itself. Perhaps he had some concerns for whatever reason. :rolls_eyes:

I find all this snobbery funny. Pop music is what it is and Mika has been shouting that he's a pop musician from the rooftops since 2006. I don't know why everyone expects him to be "better", as if he's in a different genre.

Of course there is a lot to be said for the fact that Mika writes his own music and he has much better vocal skills than just about any male singer out there and most of the women. But a good pop song is a good pop song whether it's sung by Adele or some cute teenage boys. And good pop songs are usually light and fun and full of joy.

There are huge differences in pop songs and pop bands and I think it somehow does come down to authenticity, at least in being sincere about the message you convey and your act. With most of these acts you can tell if they have anything to do with the songs they sing (even in choosing them) or not. People over a certain age tend to be put away by the fakeness of these cute boys grinning all over the place, even if the song itself is good. Considering the songs themselves, I do love great pop songs and there are objective reasons why hardly any of my favourites are from boybands, even though there are some - all written by great songwriters.

I don't reject any song just because it comes from a boyband and similarly, I don't appreciate a song just because Mika wrote that. GIAA was a fine example of that. It already sounded like a boyband song with him performing it - the melody, the lyrics and the way he sang it. I considered it fake but he may have meant what he wrote. In fact, after BIOTW I can see that these soppy phrases totally come natural to him :roftl: So in a way it contradicts my theory on fakeness but not my take on what is fake or cheesy :teehee:

Edited by suzie

You mean, this is like formulaic lyrics about love?

No, the lyrics are just really awkward. "You never change nothing" sounds really ignorant and uneducated. It's not poetic either, just horribly awkward.

"Makes me love you more lover" is also awkward because it's repetitive.

"I adore you, nothing more to say" ...umm so what is the point of all these lyrics if there's nothing more to say than "I adore you"? :doh:

I could go on, but hopefully you get the idea. :naughty:

Call me ignorant but I can't see a difference between One Direction and Boyzone, except that the first consists of way better looking lads than the last. :dunno:

I think that is a HUGE difference. Grown men should not be singing about teenage stuff. Cute boys telling cute girls that they are beautiful is cute. With grown men it's not cute. :naughty:

I don't think Mika's reluctance to give the go-ahead on that song was about Boyzone, the band, but more about the song itself. :rolls_eyes:

Maybe :teehee:

There are huge differences in pop songs and pop bands and I think it somehow does come down to authenticity, at least in being sincere about the message you convey and your act. With most of these acts you can tell if they have anything to do with the songs they sing (even in choosing them) or not.

For me it's irrelevant. I will listen to anything if it's a good song. I didn't even know what 1D looked like when I started listening to their songs. In the 70s you could listen to someone for years without ever seeing more than a couple of publicity shots or album covers. The reason I was so mad about Shaun Cassidy was because he was on a TV show. Most acts were rarely on TV.

I've always had the sense that Mika is open minded about music and that he doesn't really judge people harshly in general.

I think that is a HUGE difference. Grown men should not be singing about teenage stuff. Cute boys telling cute girls that they are beautiful is cute. With grown men it's not cute. :naughty:.

oh wait. I meant Boyzone when they were young. Are they still a band?

:doh: of course they were, and probably wanted to release some 32rd compilation album when they originally asked for Mika's permission. So I understand what you mean.

For me it's irrelevant. I will listen to anything if it's a good song. I didn't even know what 1D looked like when I started listening to their songs.

I mean even listening to the songs on the radio you can tell if a song / the artist is 'fake' or not. You can tell by the lyrics, the way they sing and how the whole thing is produced.

For example, when I first heard Gaga (ok, I also saw a video), I could immediately tell that she is 'manufactured' but has developed her own art and performance. You really can tell, actually, in most cases.

I've always had the sense that Mika is open minded about music and that he doesn't really judge people harshly in general.

Mika may be open-minded about genres as well as people but he does have his own opinion about the different acts . He may not say it harshly but when he is asked directly about artists you can tell if he likes their music / art or chooses to say something irrelevant or funny to get out of the question.

Edited by suzie

No, the lyrics are just really awkward. "You never change nothing" sounds really ignorant and uneducated. It's not poetic either, just horribly awkward.

"I adore you, nothing more to say" ...umm so what is the point of all these lyrics if there's nothing more to say than "I adore you"? :doh:

I think that is a HUGE difference. Grown men should not be singing about teenage stuff. Cute boys telling cute girls that they are beautiful is cute. With grown men it's not cute. :naughty:

Maybe :teehee:

For me it's irrelevant. I will listen to anything if it's a good song. I didn't even know what 1D looked like when I started listening to their songs. In the 70s you could listen to someone for years without ever seeing more than a couple of publicity shots or album covers. The reason I was so mad about Shaun Cassidy was because he was on a TV show. Most acts were rarely on TV.

Totally agree with you on the last part. I use to hate Justin Bieber but I found myself singing along to his latest songs when they play on radio:naughty: I like One Direction because their songs are good and they can sing well. However, I think, in general, there are far more good songs than bad.

But Mika will always have a special place in my heart:wub2::naughty:

edit: When they first came out, who thought that a band like Duran Duran would still be around 30 years on, still making awesome music? They were the "cute boy band" of my times....

Edited by cathouzouf

I don't think Mika's reluctance to give the go-ahead on that song was about Boyzone, the band, but more about the song itself. Perhaps he had some concerns for whatever reason. :rolls_eyes:

I agree. He wanted the song gained a life. But it would be better if He itself sang it. It is a pity, then GIAA's life would be brighter. I would love Mika sing it now. This song don't returned their to popularity." Gave It All Away" is killed. No one hears...

I understood). He wrote it a little better than I express my thoughts in English. I'm juggle with words, as I want :teehee:

Is anyone interested in some more reasonable explation for his comments though? :teehee:

Mika recently worked with Wayne Hector and Steve Robson and wrote at least 2 songs together... now these two guys actually wrote 'Same Mistakes' and 'Everything about You' for One Direction.

:rolls_eyes:

I mean even listening to the songs on the radio you can tell if a song / the artist is 'fake' or not. You can tell by the lyrics, the way they sing and how the whole thing is produced.

For example, when I first heard Gaga (ok, I also saw a video), I could immediately tell that she is 'manufactured' but has developed her own art and performance. You really can tell, actually, in most cases.

It's just irrelevant to me. I couldn't tell anything about Gaga's art and performance when Just Dance came out but I loved it. Then she went off the deep end with her art/performance schtick and now her music is unlistenable. She sounds like Madonna circa 1989 karoake and it's not like Madonna's music was that great 25 years ago anyway.

Of course when I like someone I am more likely to pay attention to what they are doing and cut them some slack but ultimately I just want to hear good music. I will take 1D or even Justin Bieber over Lady Gaga in 2012. I don't like her songs anymore.

Besides I like JB as a person anyway. He's Canadian, he's cute, he's good to his fans, he is constantly expressing his gratitude for people making his dreams come true and he makes a lot of other people's dreams come true too. I relate to this more and I think it is more authentic than this nonsense about being a freak, etc. I'm tired of exceptionally beautiful pop stars who have been ridiculously advantaged for the entire lives pretending that they are tortured freaks and outcasts. It's a lot more disingenuous than a boy band singing someone else's music.

Mika recently worked with Wayne Hector and Steve Robson and wrote at least 2 songs together... now these two guys actually wrote 'Same Mistakes' and 'Everything about You' for One Direction.

:rolls_eyes:

Maybe Mika has already co-written a One Direction song and he's just putting it out there. :teehee:

@Christine Whilst I agree with what you said about Gaga turning into a miserable freak and I don't find her songs great anymore, it does not invalidate the point that someone being true to oneself might make more enjoyable music. Or at least, some people relate to these artists more. Well, I do. Gaga may have 'lost it' but while she still had it she was good.

I don't think most adults refuse to listen to boybands because of snobbery or because of their image in general. It is because their music may not be good enough due to these songwriting teams purposely writing formula based songs for them believing these are the ones that work. Even boybands can break through with some good songs - there has been some good examples of that. to mention an example, I don't know about others but I found early Take That songs pretty miserable but they had this one good song Back For Good that opened a lot of doors for them.

Edited by suzie