Paris Normandie Interview

Louiza

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It was already posted and translated in the Parc Eana thread, but this way everyone can see it more easily, it's a nice and interesting interview, thanks Netina!

Thank you!! :thumb_yello: This is the translation:

After several shows and a new gig soon in Normandy, what do you remember particularly from your visits?

What is astounding when I think about France and when I think about all these tours is that I can really see progress. It started 5 or 5 years and a half ago with a very small show in the Bataclan in Paris with 400 people, then there was a big show at L'Olympia and then we progressed we did Zenith, Parc des Princes, Cirque d'Hiver. When I think about my gigs in France, I can see a real progression in my career, more than anywhere else. I can really see evolution in my shows and also how I adapted myself to make a show that represents my universe. I really learnt my job during my tours in France, because I tour a lot in the regions, which really gave me the opportunity to develop something in a country.

For each new tour, do you think about a new staging?

Absolutely, there's always a new concept. A concept that I don't necessarily have to explain because first of all it's a gig, it's not a play or an opera, but there must be a concept that me and my team have in mind. For example we use the festivals and the small Summer tour to develop visuals and ideas for new tours and also for album visuals. I develop everything along the way, because I never really had time to isolate myself a few weeks in a rehearsal studio and then present it to the audience. For me, we start with ingredients, new costumes, symbols that we will develop during tours and festivals. I think that's why a lot of people come back to see my shows, to see how it evolved. We develop all our ideas while touring.

In September your 3rd album will be released, is there an evolution compared to the 2 previous ones which were about childhood and adolescence mostly?

There's a lot of evolution on this album that is being finished now. If I think about my favourite songs on the album, I think about a song called 'The Origin of Love', with which all has begun, or 'Underwater' and 'Lola'. In these 3 songs, which are all love songs, we can hear different versions of love and different influences, like the Bee Gees, a kind of Californian sound with a smile on the face and it's quite sunny. These are soft love songs in English and there are a few in French.

Do you then think that one day you could write a whole album in French?

I would like to but I still need time. As I was saying, I develop my shows all along my tours, and I develop the same way this part of my career in French. There already are 3 or 4 French songs on this album, maybe after that, one day, I will make a whole album in French.

Would you like to have a duet with a French artist?

A few years ago I performed with the singer Emilie Simon on the show Taratata. It was really the first time I was singing in French with someone else. I like the idea of making a duet with someone who would not only be a singer, but someone who would make the lyrics live. Like France Gall's duets in the 60s, which for me is a nice period, with different kinds of voices. It was not only 2 people singing, there was a feeling. As if a singer was reciting the lyrics and I was singing, and so I would like to have a duet with an actress for example, not necessarily with a singer.

Would you like to change your universe and try to work as an actor for example?

I'm too clumsy for cinema. We can't see on stage how clumsy I am but in cinema everything is so close, there's a proximity that shows all details, I think it wouldn't be good.

Do your Lebanese American origins inspire or influence your work?

I was born in Beirut but then I lived in Paris and London and I have an American side too from my father so I have the feeling to be a little bit from nowhere, but at the same time from everywhere. So in my work I'm constantly searching, I try to give myself an identity. When I look at my siblings, I realise very quickly that we are all in the arts. So I think we all feel like coming from nowhere and in our jobs we can each create our universe. It gives us the impression to become what we dream or create.

Edited by mari62

It was already posted and translated, but this way everyone can see it more easily, thanks Netina!

Well maybe this way as you said more people will be able to read it:thumb_yello:

"I'm too clumsy for cinema. We can't see on stage how clumsy I am but in cinema everything is so close, there's a proximity that shows all details, I think it wouldn't be good."

I do agree with this, actually. That's why he looks so unnatural in many of his videos where he is trying to behave 'casually'. On stage he often 'acts' and uses exaggerated gestures that go down really well, I think.

It obviously takes him 3 years to make a good album so I seriously hope he is not going to do an entire album in French. :aah:

One of my in-laws was an actor in London and his stage performances were electric. He was a brilliant stage actor. But then I saw him on a BBC TV show and he came across as over the top. Of course you have to be even more subtle on the big screen than on TV.

I did not see this interview before so thanks for making the thread. :thumb_yello: