2012 - Mika Tells Instinct, “Yeah, I’m gay.”

dcdeb

you know, this 'gay men trying to impose their thinking' line reminds me of the language of uneducated bigots. Who would be able to make anyone gay who is not? This is nonsense and the more well-respected people come out the less we will hear such views.

I think my English is not good enough to express my thinking because it's not what I meant :blink:

You can not come and tell people to be tolerant. We have to convince people by educating them and talking. We are not living a dictatorship nonetheless.

Suzie there is not 1 billion of homosexuals in this world nothing will change with outing of few millions or less and we can not push people to reach out to others to understand them if they are afraid of them.

Coming out is something good if some gay people feel the need to have models and not feel alone in the world.

I could give the example of Jews in Europe in the late 19th century until World War II. They were numerous and a strong community but it has not made people more tolerant towards them.

What I am unfortunately certain is that human stupidity is infinite :doh:

I do not have the same view of the world and things that most people, when I talk to someone I do not judge the person I do not see that person through his skin color, its social, its religion or sexual orientation. Sorry if my point of view is difficulte to understand :blink:

• Replies 847
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Cultural differences are so huge it's almost impossible to understand. My youngest is 8 and he asked me years ago what the word "gay" means and I explained it as well as "equality". Actually, during our 2,5 hours drive yesterday we had a long discussion (with hubby and my 14 yo) about equality, homophobia and also women's situation in different countries and it felt just perfectly natural :aah:

You're a good mother. when I become a mother, I'll do like that too :thumb_yello:

I agree with Yuna - it's great that you can discuss these things so openly with your children. You really are a great mum. :huglove:

I'd like to cut in with something that I personally feel very strongly, but that none of you (if I'm not mistaken) have mentioned: that biphobia is actually more alive than homophobia in "our" culture. I used to explain to people (as I am apparently the "gay expert" in the family whahaha :doh:), especially my mother, that Mika's songs don't actually scream "gay" to me as they scream "bisexual" and that I was thus not surprised when he came out as such a few years ago. Anyways, my mother replied that there is no such this as actually being bisexual: it is just a way to either keeping everybody (the fans) happy, or being too scared to come out properly, as gay. Silly thing is, she is not at all homophobic. In fact, she asked me whether I was gay when I was 10 years old and won't take no for an answer, even now I'm 22 years old. And my father's opinion... well let's say his idea of being bisexual is the slutty Katy Perry kind.

I've actually been debating coming out as a lesbian since Heaven & this interview, just to be "ahead of the facts" LOL. Parents don't believe me when I tell them, in my mind truthfully, that I'm not gay, in the first place :naughty:

I'd like to cut in with something that I personally feel very strongly, but that none of you (if I'm not mistaken) have mentioned: that biphobia is actually more alive than homophobia in "our" culture. I used to explain to people (as I am apparently the "gay expert" in the family whahaha :doh:), especially my mother, that Mika's songs don't actually scream "gay" to me as they scream "bisexual" and that I was thus not surprised when he came out as such a few years ago. Anyways, my mother replied that there is no such this as actually being bisexual: it is just a way to either keeping everybody (the fans) happy, or being too scared to come out properly, as gay. Silly thing is, she is not at all homophobic. In fact, she asked me whether I was gay when I was 10 years old and won't take no for an answer, even now I'm 22 years old. And my father's opinion... well let's say his idea of being bisexual is the slutty Katy Perry kind.

I've actually been debating coming out as a lesbian since Heaven & this interview, just to be "ahead of the facts" LOL. Parents don't believe me when I tell them, in my mind truthfully, that I'm not gay, in the first place :naughty:

BTW, if I may also take this opportunity to apply for the role of The Mother of Mika's Babies... Good chance I may actually need a daddy for mine (A)

i dunno about biphobia being being more common but it is DEFINITELY alive and kickin! this is why i facepalmed a bit when this article teaser came out with this headline because he's unwittingly just 'proved' what so many bi-deniers thought: that there's no such thing as bisexuality...:doh:

i dunno about biphobia being being more common but it is DEFINITELY alive and kickin! this is why i facepalmed a bit when this article teaser came out with this headline because he's unwittingly just 'proved' what so many bi-deniers thought: that there's no such thing as bisexuality...:doh:

Exactly! And then I felt silly because of coooourse I'm terribly happy for him. I was there at Heaven and he seamed so thoroughly happy, and then, when telling us about TOOL, so thoroughly nervous. Wish for him that from now on he will only be that happy :)

You're a good mother. when I become a mother, I'll do like that too :thumb_yello:

I agree with Yuna - it's great that you can discuss these things so openly with your children. You really are a great mum. :huglove:

I don't think it's anything to do with me, because my first born has always wanted to discuss about _everything_ in the world (and he can also understand things very well) so it has just happened. I guess I'm quite liberal though.

Good point. I actually have a somewhat similar experience with my mother: she doesn't think there's anything wrong with being gay but to her, bisexuality is somehow a bad thing. I don't want to repeat her exact words as I found them very offending but she basically finds bisexuals sex-crazed. Needless to say I silently shook my head and couldn't help but think "if only you knew about your daughter". :naughty:

I saw a lot of unpleasant comments about bisexuality, saying that it does not exist that is an excuse for not wanting homosexuals to their coming out as gay. And those added "bi now gay tomorrow". I found it shocking and more shocking is that people who wrote these things were on a community blog BGLT:doh:

Good point. I actually have a somewhat similar experience with my mother: she doesn't think there's anything wrong with being gay but to her, bisexuality is somehow a bad thing. I don't want to repeat her exact words as I found them very offending but she basically finds bisexuals sex-crazed. Needless to say I silently shook my head and couldn't help but think "if only you knew about your daughter". :naughty:

:huglove:

Suppose we'll have to prove them the opposite? But yeah, I get the reaction. Remember one of the first people I told saying (without meaning to insult me as well): Oooh, so you butter your bread on both sides? And I was thinking, have you met me? I don't butter my bread whatsoever XD

I saw a lot of unpleasant comments about bisexuality, saying that it does not exist that is an excuse for not wanting homosexuals to their coming out as gay. And those added "bi now gay tomorrow". I found it shocking and more shocking is that people who wrote these things were on a community blog BGLT:doh:

Yeah, amazing how the LGT community can be sooo understaaandiiing sometimes :sneaky2:

I talked about this on the gay thread once. It's ridiculous how, even inside their own community, some people feel the need to judge others and question their sincerity. :no: LGBT people are a minority and to me, the ideal situation would be that they could all support each other instead of wondering whether someone is actually gay or bi.

:huglove:

Suppose we'll have to prove them the opposite? But yeah, I get the reaction. Remember one of the first people I told saying (without meaning to insult me as well): Oooh, so you butter your bread on both sides? And I was thinking, have you met me? I don't butter my bread whatsoever XD

Best comeback ever! :lmfao:

You're right, there is a need to prove people wrong when it comes to bisexuality. Some just don't seem to understand that there's a lot more than sex when it comes to being attracted to someone - romantic feelings are involved too.

I talked about this on the gay thread once. It's ridiculous how, even inside their own community, some people feel the need to judge others and question their sincerity. :no: LGBT people are a minority and to me, the ideal situation would be that they could all support each other instead of wondering whether someone is actually gay or bi.

Best comeback ever! :lmfao:

You're right, there is a need to prove people wrong when it comes to bisexuality. Some just don't seem to understand that there's a lot more than sex when it comes to being attracted to someone - romantic feelings are involved too.

Why thank you :) I try not to think about it too much, but some more support always helps :) Besides, I understand people like my best friend who I havent known for that long and who doesnt understand how Im calling myself bi even though in the time Ive known her, Ive fancoed only one guy and hes gay so yeah... haha. Anyways I do see that as well.

oh really? So which part of my post is 'wrong' then since I don't think having gay role models and educating people are mutually exclusive. What I found illogical was to encourage 'educating people' about this topic yet shying away from meeting gay people in real life.

ok sorry then maybe i understood your post wrong. i was referring to what you said that people only learn from real life and not from books. my point was that some people who were brought up hating homosexuality will just avoid any contact with gays, and if they can't, they might even become aggressive. which is probably mainly fear of the unknown. so in those cases i'd think it'd be better to educate those people first, before confronting them in real life. :dunno: it's only theory anyway though, because of course i think that anyone who's gay should be able to say it if they want to, without having to fear any rejection because of it. and there of course you're right that every openly gay person helps to achieve this.

sabine, tbh i don't think guido westerwelle's career went downhill because he's gay or married a man, but just because he isn't a good politician. actually not just him but also the party he belongs to is a joke meanwhile. too many people in that party made too many mistakes. personally, i never really liked westerwelle but of course that has nothing to do with his sexual orientation. ;)

If Mika had been more unequivocal about bisexuality people would have been more inclined to take it at face value. I certainly would have. He just never made a definitive statement. He spent years claiming that he didn't want to labeled because of his music and then he sort of twisted that to try to imply that he didn't like labels because they couldn't describe his sexual orientation accurately. It didn't seem credible to me. If you don't want to talk about it, don't talk about it. But if you do you need to be clear or people are not going to believe it.

Anyway I am still waiting for the other shoe to drop. For all we know Mika said "If you ask me am I bisexual, I say yeah too" immediately afterwards and went into another spiel about how there really are no labels for him. :naughty:

I really wish he would do these interviews by video or make a statement in his own words as Anderson Cooper did. He's not doing himself any favours by allowing misleading information to float around for years. This teaser claims the bisexual story was "disappointing" but he obviously did nothing to clear it up for the past 3 years. The subsequent statements he apparently made were just as misleading.

In other words I don't think you can pin all the blame on biphobia.

Oh, I never intended to pin it all on biphobia. I was just saying that I think coming out as bisexual when you are really gay is completely illogical, not only for the reasons you had already mentioned, but for this one as well. What you say about not quite believing him... I dont know really. I just dont think that whatever he could have said to clear things up, would actually have cleared things up. Is there anything else to say than "sexuality is messy" to begin with? And first, Id say, everyone would have to agree on the same definition for bisexuality. Is it just love or do atrractions count as well?

sabine, tbh i don't think guido westerwelle's career went downhill because he's gay or married a man, but just because he isn't a good politician. actually not just him but also the party he belongs to is a joke meanwhile. too many people in that party made too many mistakes. personally, i never really liked westerwelle but of course that has nothing to do with his sexual orientation. ;)

I wanted to answer about Westerwelle as well, but mellody already wrote everything I wanted to say :wink2: The reason that he and his party aren't popular anymore is most of all political, not sexual-orientation-related to my mind.

@books and role models

I just wanted to add that role models may be able to have more "power". I think that it's important to educate people, even more if they already have prejudices and it should be part of school education. But if a lot of people are out than it maybe won't be needed to change their opinion, because they will have a homosexual-friendly opinion from the start.

If little children are growing up and the see LGBT people that are living the same way as heterosexual ones in TV, in their neighbourhood, in their family... than the believing that it is something not normal won't develop. And I think it has more impact to see it in your everyday life all the time for developing an opinion about something. For example 100 year ago it was seen as wrong if people would live together as a couple without marrying. Now no child would thing that there is something wrong with that because it sees form day one that a lot of people are living that way. Or trousers for women. Impossible 100 years ago, but totally normal today.

Btw, does somebody know when the September issue of the magazine will come out?

Funny. Here no one in real life, TV, Radio dare mention 'gay', no one use 'gay code' as part of humor in life. :aah: No wonder some teens never heard about that and got confused.. :naughty: Wish parents are open enough to teach any sexual issue earlier than nowadays... :doh:

[YOUTUBE]FZ22AbQ4GpI[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]yYkGVP0mCec[/YOUTUBE]

LOVE the last statement in PART 2 !

Edited by A. Clay

Yes, there are things more important in the world. But for a gay(/lesbian/bi/transgender)-person it's one of the most important things to accept your sexuality in the first step and then to open up yourself to others. Mika can be very proud of himself. And as Mika is important to us as a person on some level we feel that with and for him :wub2:

Well, ELLEN had the guts to admit that she was Lebanese . . .

[YOUTUBE]tk9K25iE0To[/YOUTUBE]

@mellody To be honest, I don't even remember what I wrote exactly as it is taking me ages to reply to a post properly with my mobile. Luckily, I'll have my laptop back tomorrow, after more than a week.

Anyway, I agree with what you said and I also understood that you suggested that elements of what Sephira and I said should be combined.

There is just one more point that I wanted to emphasize: I never really believed that Mika should come out until that really awkward comment when he basically labelled himself bisexual. I don'f believe in celebtaties coming out just for the sake of it. They should only do so if tbey feel comfortable about it. However, wben they do it, they do deserve the support.

If Mika had been more unequivocal about bisexuality people would have been more inclined to take it at face value. I certainly would have. He just never made a definitive statement. He spent years claiming that he didn't want to labeled because of his music and then he sort of twisted that to try to imply that he didn't like labels because they couldn't describe his sexual orientation accurately. ]

That's exactly why I never believed he meant those words the way most people would take them. I think he simply wanted to say something along the lines of wanting to be a genderless artist.

I've just finished reading this whole thread...

I am a Christian.

I believe in God. If it wasn't for God i wouldn't be alive today after all i've been through, believe me...

I also know The Ten commandments were the only rules given to us by God.

All the rest is bull**** man made up to follw its interests.

People should be more tolerant...Jesus said

“Not everyone can accept this teaching, but only those to whom it is given. For there are eunuchs who have been so from birth, and there are eunuchs who have been made eunuchs by others, and there are eunuchs who have made themselves eunuchs for the sake of the kingdom of heaven. Let anyone accept this who can.” (Matthew 19:11-12)

Here Jesus identifies three classes of men who should not marry women. Taking his categories in reverse order, first, there are those who have made themselves “eunuchs” for the kingdom of heaven, i.e., those who foreswear marriage to better serve God. Second, he mentions those who have been “made eunuchs by others,” an apparent reference to castrated males. But Jesus mentions a third category — eunuchs who were born that way. Some might argue that Jesus was referring to males born without testicles, but this would be extremely rare. Moreover, this interpretation ignores how the term “born eunuchs” was used in other literature of the time.

In the ancient world, including ancient Jewish culture (as reflected in the Talmud), “natural” or “born” eunuchs were not associated with missing testicles. Rather, they were associated with stereotypically effeminate characteristics and behavior (just like modern gay men). Moreover, eunuchs were commonly associated with homosexual desire. As a reasonably informed person of his time, Jesus would have been aware of this common view of eunuchs. Yet he very matter-of-factly asserts that some people are simply born that way. The implication of his statement is profound — God created gay people the way they are! Jesus says so.

And to Lena:

Jesus feels no need to “cure” these born eunuchs. He speaks no words of condemnation. Rather he lists people born gay alongside another honored class (eunuchs for the kingdom), and accepts them as a natural part of God’s creation order.

Thus, when Matthew 19 is read as a whole, we see Jesus teaches that most people are created for heterosexual marriage. (I too accept this as God’s predominant creation paradigm.) But, unlike some modern Christians, Jesus does not see this as the only honorable way to live. He acknowledges that some human beings have been created by God to follow a less common, but equally legitimate path. There are some who have been eunuchs from birth — made that way by God.

Edited by willywonka

I am a Christian.

I believe in God. If it wasn't for God i wouldn't be alive today after all i've been through, believe me...

“Not everyone can accept this teaching, but only those to whom it is given. For there are eunuchs who have been so from birth, and there are eunuchs who have been made eunuchs by others, and there are eunuchs who have made themselves eunuchs for the sake of the kingdom of heaven. Let anyone accept this who can.” (Matthew 19:11-12)

Here Jesus identifies three classes of men who should not marry women. Taking his categories in reverse order, first, there are those who have made themselves “eunuchs” for the kingdom of heaven, i.e., those who foreswear marriage to better serve God. Second, he mentions those who have been “made eunuchs by others,” an apparent reference to castrated males. But Jesus mentions a third category — eunuchs who were born that way. Some might argue that Jesus was referring to males born without testicles, but this would be extremely rare. Moreover, this interpretation ignores how the term “born eunuchs” was used in other literature of the time.

In the ancient world, including ancient Jewish culture (as reflected in the Talmud), “natural” or “born” eunuchs were not associated with missing testicles. Rather, they were associated with stereotypically effeminate characteristics and behavior (just like modern gay men). Moreover, eunuchs were commonly associated with homosexual desire. As a reasonably informed person of his time, Jesus would have been aware of this common view of eunuchs. Yet he very matter-of-factly asserts that some people are simply born that way. The implication of his statement is profound — God created gay people the way they are! Jesus says so.

And to Lena:

Jesus feels no need to “cure” these born eunuchs. He speaks no words of condemnation. Rather he lists people born gay alongside another honored class (eunuchs for the kingdom), and accepts them as a natural part of God’s creation order.

Thus, when Matthew 19 is read as a whole, we see Jesus teaches that most people are created for heterosexual marriage. (I too accept this as God’s predominant creation paradigm.) But, unlike some modern Christians, Jesus does not see this as the only honorable way to live. He acknowledges that some human beings have been created by God to follow a less common, but equally legitimate path. There are some who have been eunuchs from birth — made that way by God.

Well said Wonka:thumb_yello:

Thank you very much guys, your posts are very interesting and meaningful, definitely worth a careful read :thumb_yello:

First this:

GO MIKA :groupwave:

and now this, I just had to say something: :blush-anim-cl:

Children don't become homosexuals the are born that way, to put it simple, it's all about how your brain works and how much of certain hormones your body produces.

Those children will know that they are different from a very young age, because they can see or hear from others that there are little things in which they are different from other (heterosexual) children.

At first they don't even know that they are different. But when they go to school there teachers might ask there parents about certain behavioral difference that they show or the parents will notice it themselves. And then there is a choice for those parents accept you kid the way they are or FORCE you kid into a different lifestyle because you can't accept the way your kid is or you are afraid of that others might say.

And when that kid is forced to live a different lifestyle they might look normal on the outside and they might act heterosexual but on the inside they are afraid of being judged and unhappy because they can't be who they really are, because others might hurt them because some people decided homosexuals are abnormal and should be cured and ignored with force.

And children do not "go to bed with someone" like you said.

Just an example of a child that is different from an early age:

A heterosexual girl (child) might come home with a drawing of superman and tell her mommy that she thinks he's cute or that he's boring because he is a figure that boys find cool.

The parents will laugh and think that it's cute.

A heterosexual boy would come home with the same drawing and tell mommy how cool superman is and that he wants to be just like him when he grows up.

The parents will buy superman clothes and lunchboxes and think it's cute.

A homosexual boy could say that he thinks superman is cute or boring like the little girl did.

Parents will think it's odd and will accept this or force that boy into superman clothes and give him a superman lunchbox because that's what other boy's like and the hope the "problem" will go away. But that little boy will be miserable.

Being a homosexual is not just about sex and doing something that others might consider a sin it's just who they are.

And who they are is people, humans, they have feelings, dreams, interests, hobbies, they might want to have/adopt a child, they want to grow old with someone they love just like everybody else.

The only difference is that they want to do these things with someone who has the same gender as they have.

Here is Anderson Cooper's statement for those who don't know him/haven't read it. He is a reporter for CNN and made this statement just before the story about Mika having a boyfriend of 5 years surfaced.

--------------------------

Andrew, as you know, the issue you raise is one that I've thought about for years. Even though my job puts me in the public eye, I have tried to maintain some level of privacy in my life. Part of that has been for purely personal reasons. I think most people want some privacy for themselves and the people they are close to.

But I've also wanted to retain some privacy for professional reasons. Since I started as a reporter in war zones 20 years ago, I've often found myself in some very dangerous places. For my safety and the safety of those I work with, I try to blend in as much as possible, and prefer to stick to my job of telling other people’s stories, and not my own. I have found that sometimes the less an interview subject knows about me, the better I can safely and effectively do my job as a journalist.

I've always believed that who a reporter votes for, what religion they are, who they love, should not be something they have to discuss publicly. As long as a journalist shows fairness and honesty in his or her work, their private life shouldn't matter. I’ve stuck to those principles for my entire professional career, even when I’ve been directly asked “the gay question,” which happens occasionally. I did not address my sexual orientation in the memoir I wrote several years ago because it was a book focused on war, disasters, loss and survival. I didn't set out to write about other aspects of my life.

Recently, however, I’ve begun to consider whether the unintended outcomes of maintaining my privacy outweigh personal and professional principle. It’s become clear to me that by remaining silent on certain aspects of my personal life for so long, I have given some the mistaken impression that I am trying to hide something - something that makes me uncomfortable, ashamed or even afraid. This is distressing because it is simply not true.

I’ve also been reminded recently that while as a society we are moving toward greater inclusion and equality for all people, the tide of history only advances when people make themselves fully visible. There continue to be far too many incidences of bullying of young people, as well as discrimination and violence against people of all ages, based on their sexual orientation, and I believe there is value in making clear where I stand.

The fact is, I'm gay, always have been, always will be, and I couldn’t be any more happy, comfortable with myself, and proud.

I have always been very open and honest about this part of my life with my friends, my family, and my colleagues. In a perfect world, I don't think it's anyone else's business, but I do think there is value in standing up and being counted. I’m not an activist, but I am a human being and I don't give that up by being a journalist.

Since my early days as a reporter, I have worked hard to accurately and fairly portray gay and lesbian people in the media - and to fairly and accurately portray those who for whatever reason disapprove of them. It is not part of my job to push an agenda, but rather to be relentlessly honest in everything I see, say and do. I’ve never wanted to be any kind of reporter other than a good one, and I do not desire to promote any cause other than the truth.

Being a journalist, traveling to remote places, trying to understand people from all walks of life, telling their stories, has been the greatest joy of my professional career, and I hope to continue doing it for a long time to come. But while I feel very blessed to have had so many opportunities as a journalist, I am also blessed far beyond having a great career.

I love, and I am loved.

In my opinion, the ability to love another person is one of God’s greatest gifts, and I thank God every day for enabling me to give and share love with the people in my life. I appreciate your asking me to weigh in on this, and I would be happy for you to share my thoughts with your readers. I still consider myself a reserved person and I hope this doesn’t mean an end to a small amount of personal space. But I do think visibility is important, more important than preserving my reporter’s shield of privacy.

I am a Christian.

And to Lena:

Edited by mari62
syntax