2012 - Mika Tells Instinct, “Yeah, I’m gay.”

dcdeb

• Replies 847
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just read on twitter the news! and I knew I had to run to the forum and check it..but MAN is this thread LOOONG. Stuff it, I aint gonna read it. Just wanted to say "FINALLYYYYYYYYY!!!"

AND :

I read it from a spanish website, it said, MIKA confirms what everyone knew, HAHAHA ..really is like when Ricky Martin got out of the closet..though I liked more the Bi story :teehee:

your post reminds me of dyslexic children, who are often forced to behave and be different from their nature, and as a consequence they won't be happy and keep having difficulties in everything they do.

There's a lovely and delicate Indian movie about that: Taare Zameen Par (English: Stars on Earth)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taare_Zameen_Par

First this:

GO MIKA :groupwave:

and now this, I just had to say something: :blush-anim-cl:

Children don't become homosexuals the are born that way, to put it simple, it's all about how your brain works and how much of certain hormones your body produces.

Those children will know that they are different from a very young age, because they can see or hear from others that there are little things in which they are different from other (heterosexual) children.

At first they don't even know that they are different. But when they go to school there teachers might ask there parents about certain behavioral difference that they show or the parents will notice it themselves. And then there is a choice for those parents accept you kid the way they are or FORCE you kid into a different lifestyle because you can't accept the way your kid is or you are afraid of that others might say.

And when that kid is forced to live a different lifestyle they might look normal on the outside and they might act heterosexual but on the inside they are afraid of being judged and unhappy because they can't be who they really are, because others might hurt them because some people decided homosexuals are abnormal and should be cured and ignored with force.

And children do not "go to bed with someone" like you said.

Just an example of a child that is different from an early age:

A heterosexual girl (child) might come home with a drawing of superman and tell her mommy that she thinks he's cute or that he's boring because he is a figure that boys find cool.

The parents will laugh and think that it's cute.

A heterosexual boy would come home with the same drawing and tell mommy how cool superman is and that he wants to be just like him when he grows up.

The parents will buy superman clothes and lunchboxes and think it's cute.

A homosexual boy could say that he thinks superman is cute or boring like the little girl did.

Parents will think it's odd and will accept this or force that boy into superman clothes and give him a superman lunchbox because that's what other boy's like and the hope the "problem" will go away. But that little boy will be miserable.

Being a homosexual is not just about sex and doing something that others might consider a sin it's just who they are.

And who they are is people, humans, they have feelings, dreams, interests, hobbies, they might want to have/adopt a child, they want to grow old with someone they love just like everybody else.

The only difference is that they want to do these things with someone who has the same gender as they have.

Alright' date=' I may be rather young to join in this conversation (14) but I feel as though I have the overwhelming desire to share my views on this point. Seen through my eyes, the way we live our lives is certainly subject to outside interpretation. This is especially true for Mika, who, as a celebrity, has chosen to accept the possibility that aspects of his private life may come into view of the public eye and the eye of his fanbase. And how everyone sees the world is highly dependent upon how they were brought up, their opinions, thoughts, religious beliefs etc. Therefore something that seems one way to someone of a certain belief may seem differently to someone of a different belief (I'm trying to maintain a position of neutrality) One may belief that homosexuality is wrong and they have their right to that belief, therefore in their eyes wanting to 'save' Mika would be an expression of their love and respect for him. Although in someone else's view homosexuality is fine and therefore not wanting to interfere would be a sign of [i']their[/i] respect and love for him. Although it isn't necessary to respect someone's PoV (however preferable that would be) it is a good and highly informative thing to observe it. But in the end it's Mika's personal life and so his beliefs and views are what matter to him. As his fans we're here for his music, no? And yet we find ourselves in such a position as to judge his character based off of that. He has the right to withhold any information from us as he wishes. So what I'm trying to say (albeit in a highly unstructured way, sorry for that) is that overall HIS beliefs are what should govern HIS life, and regardless of whether we agree or not that isnt going to change. Feel free to live your OWN life how YOU want to. But it's quite a pointless matter to be so grieved and distressed over something that not only does you no harm whatsoever but that also makes someone happy. No matter if you have no personal attachment to Mika, (which although most of us do we really should not) you're here for music which is, other than in principle, rather unaffected by sexuality.

So young(14) and full of wisdom :thumb_yello: respect

I think we have to remember that for many of the world religions, homosexuality is seen as a sin, and that if you have accepted that religious belief all your life without question, it may be hard - or even impossible - for you to accept someone as openly homosexual without seeing them as sinful and needing to be saved. It requires a paradigm shift in your view of the world, and that's not easy to make.

So true!

and therefor be open minded and give Lena a chance. I don't like homophobic people who hate gays (actually I can't stand them) but there is a difference between hate and don't understand it. Lena was a teenager in Russia when there where iron walls around Russia! don't forget that.

I guess she has never known or even met someone who was openly gay and there was no freedom of speech.maybe the law decided for here what she was supposed to believe and think. I understand it's a shock to her and I understand her whole world felt apart. she needs time. she's a good girl with a good heart. we should accept and help her with that because we are open minded people.she's in pain and she needs Mikafanlove:wub2:

Edited by Moonlightchild

Exactly my thought Silver, that's what happened to myself, it took me a lot of time (many years), effort, enquire, reading, researching and experience

to find out and accept the truth about religion and spirituality.

Its been a long journey and I did change a lot as a person in order to do that.

Now I look at the world through different eyes, feel happier and more free.

:thumb_yello:

I wish I was on facebook than I could just hit the like button.would be so much easier:naughty:

There is just one more point that I wanted to emphasize: I never really believed that Mika should come out until that really awkward comment when he basically labelled himself bisexual

+1 Though I would have been more impressed if he had simply answered when first asked. IMO that would have put the emphasis back on his music.

But it would have lost a lot of his younger teenage fans- so he hung on as long as he could to "I'm too complex to be labelled"- which absolutely no-one believed, so he said he was bisexual. Which lost quite a few gay fans. So now he's saying he's gay.

Edited by Soaring Simpson

Anyways, my mother replied that there is no such this as actually being bisexual:

I thought there was a fair element of that on here when so many people thought his statements at Heaven were proof that he was gay. Not bi-phobia, exactly, but certainly a lack of recognition that not all men dating men are gay

But when I suggested that, I was called a deluded fool who couldn't face facts

Lena I can tell you are upset. But Jesus taught tolerance. He preached against judgement. For example: "Let he who is without sin, cast the first stone."

We are all sinners, we are all imperfect and it doesn't do to judge one thing as being worse than others. This is what the Church does, and it causes a lot of damage.

Let's just imagine that Mika decided to try and conform to his church, by getting married to a woman, as the church would have him do.

How long would it be before that marraige ended, because he could not love her the way she deserved, or needed, him to love her. If they'd had children, then the children would also be hurt. That's like his Billy Brown song. Where he seems to have everything he needs, but can't help falling for another man and breaking apart his "perfect family"

So though Mika could have gone down that route, he didn't because it wouldn't have been right. It was wrong for Oscar Wilde, it would be wrong for Mika too.

Many gay men (and probably women too) have gone down the route of trying to marry themselves straight. It just doesn't work since people don't choose to be gay. Years ago men went to jail for being gay, so they wouldn't choose it for themselves.

I've said before that you have had this idealised idea of Mika. I don't say it to be mean to you. I could always see this coming. That he'd fall for someone and you'd be hurt. But think of it this way...

We're his fans. We see the best of Mika always. We see the man who sings to us and signs our stuff with a smile. We don't see the man who wakes up in a bad mood, or maybe snaps at someone because he's feeling cranky. His boyfriend will have a much different view of Mika than we have. Because Mika is just an ordinary guy. Not some sainted image.

So I think you should just love the Mika we all see, and let Mika-the-ordinary-guy live his private life, without any judgement.

Jesus loved prostitutes. He probably knew a few gay people too and loved them anyway. Remember that he died for all of us, not just certain ones of us. Church rules are man-made and nothing to do with Jesus. If you can think of it like that, you may feel much better. I hope so.

totally agree every word

I thought there was a fair element of that on here when so many people thought his statements at Heaven were proof that he was gay. Not bi-phobia, exactly, but certainly a lack of recognition that not all men dating men are gay

Other than giving you a :thumb_yello: I don't really know what to say without sounding cocky, so I'm just going to quote Alan Cumming, who has stated that he considers himself bisexual, "although the pendulum has obviously swung". My God, feeling like such a maniac here XD

I apreciate the Perez way says: "We're thrilled Mika is comfortable enough in his own skin to serve as a role model for other young men and women facing similar difficult situations!!

We APPLAUD you, Mika! Here's to a lifetime of happiness!"

:thumb_yello:

just to relax the mind, the comments are very interesting, enjoying reading :thumb_yello:

+1 Though I would have been more impressed if he had simply answered when first asked. IMO that would have put the emphasis back on his music.

But it would have lost a lot of his younger teenage fans- so he hung on as long as he could to "I'm too complex to be labelled"- which absolutely no-one believed, so he said he was bisexual. Which lost quite a few gay fans. So now he's saying he's gay.

if you're implying that he didn't come out sooner for not losing his teenage girl fans, i disagree. like someone had already said on here, it probably would have gained him more gay fans than lost him teenage girl fans. he simply wasn't ready to tell the world back then, and probably just said it so journalists would leave him alone with those questions. if i hadn't seen videos of his statement at heaven, i also might believe that the timing of his coming out now is just for promoting his album etc. - but look at him in those videos from heaven. it's a gay club and there were many fans who have been supporting him for years, so you wouldn't find an obvious reason why he'd be scared to tell this crowd that he loves a man. but he was more nervous than i've ever seen him before. someone, i think DerMoment, wrote a very good post somewhere in this thread about the feelings and (irrational) fears someone might have about their coming out. right now obviously was the perfect timing for mika. not earlier, cause he wasn't ready yet. not later, because saying it now means it'll be old news in september when his album is released, and then him and the journalists can (hopefully) concentrate on the music. :thumb_yello:

personally for me, the timing feels just right too. if he had come out in 2007, i don't know if i had become as big a fan as i'm now (though of course i'd always have loved his music and went to his concerts in my hometown). i remember back in 2007 when i first heard from someone that mika might be gay, i had fears about me making a fool of myself by being the only straight woman who follows him and standing in front row amongst a crowd of gay boys, feeling out of place. :teehee: of course i laugh about this now, but it was a process - and i'm perfectly happy now the way it is, and went. :wink2:

I found it hard to say the same when that's the response you get. I always felt that the reason I was so drawn to him was that I felt the he was 'my kind of person'. I always said that I would be really disappointed if he was just gay and hiding it rather than the person he made out he was (i.e. 'too complex to be labelled") I think everyone is bi and then they have their preferences. You know, blonde-brunette, tall-short, fat-thin, long hair-short hair, extrovert-introvert, funny-serious, strong-gentle. I usually recount a story that made me aware of my own (and I believe, everyone's) bi-sexuality. When I was younger (late teens/early 20's) I was walking down a busy high street checking out people that I fancied (as you do!!:wink2:) and I saw this guy walking in front of me...just my type, creative, arty, musical, skinny, long haired, gentle, shy, pale, interesting, misunderstood, melancholy.....all of this was my perception of him of course! Anyway, as I walked behind him and sighed wishing he'd be looking for a girl like me...he turned around...and I realised he was a girl!! It really shocked me that I'd made such a mistake but it was that very moment that made me realise that what I look for in a partner doesn't include their gender. That's why I know I'm bi-sexual...not because I've been promiscuous or experimental or that I'm a closet lesbian just that I know what things attract me to another person and that I find those traits in both men and women.

Other than giving you a :thumb_yello: I don't really know what to say without sounding cocky, so I'm just going to quote Alan Cumming, who has stated that he considers himself bisexual, "although the pendulum has obviously swung". My God, feeling like such a maniac here XD

Same here in that I'm in a relationship with a man so people would say I'm straight but I could just as easily be in a relationship with a woman (other than they're too emotional to live with sometimes!!) and if that happened then people would say that I was a lesbian and maybe that I'd been in denial being with my boyfriend, that I wasn't strong enough to accept my gayness. Rather than understand that I really don't care what gender the object of my lust is!!

Edited by vixenbbw

I somehow find it strange that there are articles (like this for example) that make statements about Mika like "gay and proud" and "gay all the way" even though the original article from Instinct is not out yet. I'm not saying these statements are wrong, no, no, I'm completely pro-Mika, but I don't think people should hurry with their own statements.. I hope you get what I am trying to say. Because hurry sometimes might be scary.

*edit* this sounded worse than I thought it would so: I still applaud Perez for his support.

Edited by coolcat

I've just finished reading this whole thread...

I am a Christian.

I believe in God. If it wasn't for God i wouldn't be alive today after all i've been through, believe me...

I also know The Ten commandments were the only rules given to us by God.

All the rest is bull**** man made up to follw its interests.

People should be more tolerant...Jesus said

“Not everyone can accept this teaching, but only those to whom it is given. For there are eunuchs who have been so from birth, and there are eunuchs who have been made eunuchs by others, and there are eunuchs who have made themselves eunuchs for the sake of the kingdom of heaven. Let anyone accept this who can.” (Matthew 19:11-12)

Here Jesus identifies three classes of men who should not marry women. Taking his categories in reverse order, first, there are those who have made themselves “eunuchs” for the kingdom of heaven, i.e., those who foreswear marriage to better serve God. Second, he mentions those who have been “made eunuchs by others,” an apparent reference to castrated males. But Jesus mentions a third category — eunuchs who were born that way. Some might argue that Jesus was referring to males born without testicles, but this would be extremely rare. Moreover, this interpretation ignores how the term “born eunuchs” was used in other literature of the time.

In the ancient world, including ancient Jewish culture (as reflected in the Talmud), “natural” or “born” eunuchs were not associated with missing testicles. Rather, they were associated with stereotypically effeminate characteristics and behavior (just like modern gay men). Moreover, eunuchs were commonly associated with homosexual desire. As a reasonably informed person of his time, Jesus would have been aware of this common view of eunuchs. Yet he very matter-of-factly asserts that some people are simply born that way. The implication of his statement is profound — God created gay people the way they are! Jesus says so.

And to Lena:

Jesus feels no need to “cure” these born eunuchs. He speaks no words of condemnation. Rather he lists people born gay alongside another honored class (eunuchs for the kingdom), and accepts them as a natural part of God’s creation order.

Thus, when Matthew 19 is read as a whole, we see Jesus teaches that most people are created for heterosexual marriage. (I too accept this as God’s predominant creation paradigm.) But, unlike some modern Christians, Jesus does not see this as the only honorable way to live. He acknowledges that some human beings have been created by God to follow a less common, but equally legitimate path. There are some who have been eunuchs from birth — made that way by God.

Amen Wonka. This is the same view that I hold to and I am a Christian. It is very well said.

he hung on as long as he could to "I'm too complex to be labelled"- which absolutely no-one believed, so he said he was bisexual.

But you say yourself that no one believed the labels business. To me it is not the fact that he IS in love with a man that seemed like a coming out but the fact that he made A STATEMENT that he is in love with a man. His statement is not just a figment of people's imagination. He didn't just say "oh, by the way, I have a boyfriend at the moment." He wrote a song about gay love and literally said it was his statement. He already made a statement 3 years ago that he could fall in love with a man in the context of bisexuality so why make this statement now unless we are talking about something other than bisexuality?

I don't hold this cynical view that Mika's statements and non statements about his sexual orientation are entirely driven by marketing concerns. I think this has clearly been difficult for him. I mean just look at the first English interview he gave this year where he was giggling and shy and refusing to say the name of his new love. I knew immediately that he was getting ready to make some kind of real statement soon but you could still see how difficult it is for him.

I think Mika has always been very reserved about discussing personal details. I remember early on we didn't even know what his real name was for certain! He started cutting loose a bit with the second album at least discussing relationships in vague terms. And now here we are. I don't think it's all calculation. I think it's a natural progression and Mika finally growing up. Getting a driver's license, buying his own home, getting a dog and being comfortable enough with himself that he can tell the world he is in love.

Same here in that I'm in a relationship with a man so people would say I'm straight but I could just as easily be in a relationship with a woman (other than they're too emotional to live with sometimes!!)

That sums up why I feel I am 100% straight! I am sure I could open my mind enough to appreciate the female aesthetic as much as a man's. I've always loved pretty boys anyway. But I just don't like women as a romantic prospect. I don't even like working with women. All of the emotionality and game playing and manipulation totally puts me off. It is manageable in the context of a friendship but in every other area of life it makes me crazy. The biggest attraction for me about men is that they are men and not women.

I've always wondered if Mika felt the same since he has so many women in his life already that he doesn't need another in his bed, you know? :naughty:

I'm completely pro-Mika, but I don't think people should hurry with their own statements.. I hope you get what I am trying to say. Because hurry sometimes might be scary.

Yes I said something similar a few pages back. But Perez outed Mika in 2006 and only changed his story later. I imagine he has personal knowledge about whether Mika is gay or not and figures this is his coming out so there's no reason not to run with it? :dunno:

I've just finished reading this whole thread...

I am a Christian.

I believe in God. If it wasn't for God i wouldn't be alive today after all i've been through, believe me...

I also know The Ten commandments were the only rules given to us by God.

All the rest is bull**** man made up to follw its interests.

People should be more tolerant...Jesus said

“Not everyone can accept this teaching, but only those to whom it is given. For there are eunuchs who have been so from birth, and there are eunuchs who have been made eunuchs by others, and there are eunuchs who have made themselves eunuchs for the sake of the kingdom of heaven. Let anyone accept this who can.” (Matthew 19:11-12)

Here Jesus identifies three classes of men who should not marry women. Taking his categories in reverse order, first, there are those who have made themselves “eunuchs” for the kingdom of heaven, i.e., those who foreswear marriage to better serve God. Second, he mentions those who have been “made eunuchs by others,” an apparent reference to castrated males. But Jesus mentions a third category — eunuchs who were born that way. Some might argue that Jesus was referring to males born without testicles, but this would be extremely rare. Moreover, this interpretation ignores how the term “born eunuchs” was used in other literature of the time.

In the ancient world, including ancient Jewish culture (as reflected in the Talmud), “natural” or “born” eunuchs were not associated with missing testicles. Rather, they were associated with stereotypically effeminate characteristics and behavior (just like modern gay men). Moreover, eunuchs were commonly associated with homosexual desire. As a reasonably informed person of his time, Jesus would have been aware of this common view of eunuchs. Yet he very matter-of-factly asserts that some people are simply born that way. The implication of his statement is profound — God created gay people the way they are! Jesus says so.

And to Lena:

Jesus feels no need to “cure” these born eunuchs. He speaks no words of condemnation. Rather he lists people born gay alongside another honored class (eunuchs for the kingdom), and accepts them as a natural part of God’s creation order.

Thus, when Matthew 19 is read as a whole, we see Jesus teaches that most people are created for heterosexual marriage. (I too accept this as God’s predominant creation paradigm.) But, unlike some modern Christians, Jesus does not see this as the only honorable way to live. He acknowledges that some human beings have been created by God to follow a less common, but equally legitimate path. There are some who have been eunuchs from birth — made that way by God.

Amen :bow:

I was on holiday, so I just heard the news from a friend.

And it's so funny, because yesterday, I lay in my bed and I watched a poster of Mika. And I looked at it and I thought: He's gay. He lives with a man now. I could feel it. For sure. And that is the night I gave up hope. :P

So the news isn't suprising for me at all :P

But I'm so happy for him, although I still believe in my theory that everyone is bisexual ^^ And that there is still some hope for us! ;P Hahah!

But i really hope he stays together with the love of his life, cause that man is making mika reeeaaaaallly happy!!! =D And when Mika's happy, I am happy! ^^

Yet he very matter-of-factly asserts that some people are simply born that way. The implication of his statement is profound — God created gay people the way they are! Jesus says so.

And to Lena:

There are some who have been eunuchs from birth — made that way by God.

I'd never thought about that verse before- it's interesting but, on reflection, I still think that by "eunuch he was talking about not having sex.

But (to me) the sermon on the mount is clear- "anyone who gets angry is a murderer, and anyone who looks at a woman lustfully commits adultery in his heart" (or something). I'd say this makes it quite clear that no-one is free from sexual sin- gay, straight, celebate, married, promiscuous- unless they accept God's grace, in which case all are free. Pointing fingers at one group or another is pointless.

Incidentally, though I forget the exact statistic, Jesus taught about giving to the poor about 20 times as often as he talked about sex. But I've never seen an MFC thread about money :naughty:

I'm glad for him to (finally) be able to talk openly about it.

That being said...I must say, and this is probably totally OT, that I'm really surprised to see what fuss "coming out" makes since it really makes no difference. Well at least that's how I look at it. But I imagine that for someone who's been struggling with his/hers sexuality cannot always be easy. I've seen what that sort of struggle can do people as one of my friends went through little hell because of it. Really sad.:no:

I don't hold this cynical view that Mika's statements and non statements about his sexual orientation are entirely driven by marketing concerns. I think this has clearly been difficult for him. I mean just look at the first English interview he gave this year where he was giggling and shy and refusing to say the name of his new love. I knew immediately that he was getting ready to make some kind of real statement soon but you could still see how difficult it is for him.

I think Mika has always been very reserved about discussing personal details. I remember early on we didn't even know what his real name was for certain! He started cutting loose a bit with the second album at least discussing relationships in vague terms. And now here we are. I don't think it's all calculation. I think it's a natural progression and Mika finally growing up. Getting a driver's license, buying his own home, getting a dog and being comfortable enough with himself that he can tell the world he is in love.

I'm not doubting that he's gone through big changes as a person- I've said on here before that I suspected many of his lies were simply his way of maintaining his privacy, and am glad he's presumably more confident now. But he didn't make a statement before- it was still couched in "if you want to call me something, you can call me bisexual."

But I do think there was a goodish element of calculation involved especially earlier. And even now I feel as if he's playing a role- the first album it was bullying, the second alienated teenage years, now he's gay in a traditional culture. (And the fourth album?)

It's this continual role playing that means I often don't bother to read what he's said about himself, or his opinions in XL. I wonder whether this continual, obsessive need for privacy will relax too now?

Edited by Soaring Simpson

.....and not only the media..... Mika is already performing new songs and stuff, and the most visited thread on MFC is obviously the one where all of us discuss his sexuality... :aah:

I´m not complaining or anything, I´m so happy for him. I really hope we all can move on...

And by the way, yes, it was obvious since the very beginning but clearly he won confidence. He looked more mannered last saturday than any of the other times I saw him.

I haven´t read the whole thread, I tried but got bored at page 6 :aah: is there anything I should read??

I hope we are all happy for him and no one is still in denial or trying to do a nonsense or things like that.

Most of us are straight people and we don´t realise how hard it´s for gay people to come out. A guy I know, after living 25 years in my town, moved to another city and everyone of his friends lost contact with him. Like 5 years later, this guy arranged a meeting with his old friends (like a group of 8 people who were friends since they were 3yo) and during the meal, he told them he was gay. No one, (seriously NO-ONE) could believe it. He had been with many girls and stuff when he was younger just to pretend he was straight. So, his friends, who loved them A LOT, accepted it. Everyone less one guy, who told him "you f*cking b*stard... we played football together and we shared changing room many times!!! YOU BETTER NOT TOUCH YOURSELF THINKING OF ME, MOTHER F*CKER!!" Obviously my friend went back to where he lives now and never came back. Only one of his friends did this, but it hurt him so much he told the rest of his friends he was never going to come back.

Yes, it´s hard for them and I perfectly understand them. I wouldn´t like to be in his shoes, to be honest...

So... Go Mika, you did the right thing :thumb_yello: