2012 - Mika Tells Instinct, “Yeah, I’m gay.”

dcdeb

I don't have the whole thing in Dutch, but there was an article about it on nu.nl a few days ago: http://www.nu.nl/wetenschap/2878059/verwijding-pupil-verklapt-seksuele-orientatie.html

The science section on nu.nl is usually lacking some nuance, and sometimes just plain wrong. But reading a full-blown scientific paper is quite difficult if you're not used to it, so I guess this would be the next-best thing.

Thank you:thumb_yello:

• Replies 847
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just to clarify, it was you defining youself but you either attached the wrong label to yourself or can't define how you feel exactly. Being tolerant does NOT mean that you can imagine yourself to be attracted to anyone - men and women alike. You are born with your sexual orientation and it does not change - people may simply repress it.

Otherwise your post was a really good summary of what everyone seems to agree about here.:thumb_yello:

Of course it doesn't mean that. I said my husband is tolerant. He can definitely NOT imagine himself being attracted to men and women alike. I said he is tolerant because he wouldn't surely mind how I describe myself. I can define how I feel, it looks I just call it with a different word than you/maybe someone else would do. I'm allowed do it, because it's a personal thing and that was my original point :thumb_yello: It doesn't matter what dictionary says, in real life we all define these terms in our own way.

(Lol, I was quoting Mika when I wrote "call me whatever you want" because I thought it was funny, but out of context the joking tone disappears.)

Edited by tiibet

Of course it doesn't mean that. I said my husband is tolerant. He can definitely NOT imagine himself being attracted to men and women alike. I said he is tolerant because he wouldn't surely mind how I describe myself. I can define how I feel, it looks I just call it with a different word than you/maybe someone else would do. I'm allowed do it, because it's a personal thing and that was my original point :thumb_yello: It doesn't matter what dictionary says, in real life we all define these terms in our own way.

(Lol, I was quoting Mika when I wrote "call me whatever you want" because I thought it was funny, but out of context the joking tone disappears.)

I get both your points and honestly, I can't say of either of you that you're wrong, or Absolutely right, for that matter. I do think that when you are 100% convinced you are straight and don't even think about the possibility of fancying a person of the same sex, you may just not realise you fancy that person. I mean, when I was about 15 yo, I had this boyfriend. He told me that people may assume I'm gay, but that doesnt actually make me gay. He then continued with the words that basically changed my life: But I'm only going to believe you when you say you're straight when you're 86 years old and lying on your death bed.

He was so f'ing right. Couldn't help cursing the boy 2 years later. It was just a tiiiiiny crush on a waitress, but for some reason that was the start of a whole new life and I believe with all my heart that I might not have noticed, even, if I hadn't believed it was going to happen one day to begin with.

@tiibet I didn't refer to your husband being tolerant, I was referring to you being tolerant and probably being confused about how you feel.

I know that I have never been attracted to women so I am straight. If you think you could be, you are not (you meaning a 'general' you). I really couldn't care less what everyone feels about their orientation but in some of the last posts it was positioned as if that was lifestyle choice (like you are straight now but can imagine fancying the same sex :blink:) - perfectly supporting homophobic views and attitudes.

Edited by suzie

I read the Quebec interview of Mika in french he explained he done his coming out for that reason :

"In songs from my new album, I talk about my life, whereas before I was talking about the lives of others around me. It was the right time to reveal my homosexuality, because at 28 I told myself I talk about my life in a way that very few male pop singers will. I do it with much joy and it was the right time. My songs do not speak necessarily about my sexual orientation, but still my personal life. I like pop as it is universal. We did not necessarily need to know that I'm gay to understand my music. It shows above a certain comfort and confidence. I created everything in my career alone. I do not hide anything. I got to a point in my life where I am confident and comfortable in every sense of my life. It makes me feel powerful and invincible love of life completely. It was important for me to do it the right way and choose to do when I wanted."

http://www.lapresse.ca/arts/musique/201208/11/01-4564286-entrevue-avec-mika-il-nous-dit.php?utm_categorieinterne=trafficdrivers&utm_contenuinterne=cyberpresse_B9_arts_244_accueil_POS2

After reading the explanation of Mika, I think that really we are being very naive in thinking that Mika made his coming out to feel free and relieve weight of secrecy :sneaky2:

@sephira thank you for posting this excerpt. Can you post link to the full translation, please, as I seem to have missed it.

I think this quote only proves that Mika can totally explain anything and prove the exact opposite the next day without being contradictory. I love people like that though :teehee:

@sephira thank you for posting this excerpt. Can you post link to the full translation, please, as I seem to have missed it.

I think this quote only proves that Mika can totally explain anything and prove the exact opposite the next day without being contradictory. I love people like that though :teehee:

I only translate this part :naughty:

Edited by Sephira

@tiibet I didn't refer to your husband being tolerant, I was referring to you being tolerant and probably being confused about how you feel.

I know that I have never been attracted to women so I am straight. If you think you could be, you are not (you meaning a 'general' you). I really couldn't care less what everyone feels about their orientation but in some of the last posts it was positioned as if that was lifestyle choice (like you are straight now but can imagine fancying the same sex :blink:) - perfectly supporting homophobic views and attitudes.

My posts were based to how I personally think about human body and what I personally see attractive. However, in my first post I told that the world around me in real life is actually very "male", that to tell the truth, I don't even like the women's world and that I generally enjoy more "the male way of thinking" (which is not purely biological but also created by our society). I also personally see that we can sometimes be more than our gender is and that I would love to see the world more androgyne place, people showing their different sides.

My definition for my identity comes from my real life; I'm married to a man and happy about it. Outside that I don't fancy anyone, not any man or any woman. What could be in other circumstances is obviously only theoretical (and as I said, based to what I think about human body and what I see attractive). I have no idea how that can be seen as "supporting homophobic views and attitudes" :blink: I'm very surprised.

I read the Quebec interview of Mika in french he explained he done his coming out for that reason :

"In songs from my new album, I talk about my life, whereas before I was talking about the lives of others around me. It was the right time to reveal my homosexuality, because at 28 I told myself I talk about my life in a way that very few male pop singers will. I do it with much joy and it was the right time. My songs do not speak necessarily about my sexual orientation, but still my personal life. I like pop as it is universal. We did not necessarily need to know that I'm gay to understand my music. It shows above a certain comfort and confidence. I created everything in my career alone. I do not hide anything. I got to a point in my life where I am confident and comfortable in every sense of my life. It makes me feel powerful and invincible love of life completely. It was important for me to do it the right way and choose to do when I wanted."

http://www.lapresse.ca/arts/musique/201208/11/01-4564286-entrevue-avec-mika-il-nous-dit.php?utm_categorieinterne=trafficdrivers&utm_contenuinterne=cyberpresse_B9_arts_244_accueil_POS2

After reading the explanation of Mika, I think that really we are being very naive in thinking that Mika made his coming out to feel free and relieve weight of secrecy :sneaky2:

I'm not sure what you mean? Isn't he saying something we all imagined he would?

Edited by tiibet

Here : http://www.mikafanclub.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3760461&postcount=8

I'm not sure what you mean? Isn't he saying something we all imagined he would?

He isn't saying what a big part of you imagined.

For me it is different because one coming out on the danish tabloïd, after at the Heaven and the last one in Instinct Magazine, three coming out for one person in less than one month just before the release of his third album make me feel that his attention wasn't pure and only commercial, and Mika's explainations confirm my suspicions because is coming out wasn't a necessity for him but more for make speaking about him :doh:

It is just my feeling, people sees and thinks what they wants of it :wink2:

Edited by Sephira

For me it is different because one coming out on the danish tabloïd, after at the Heaven and the last one in Instinct Magazine, three coming out for one person in less than one month just before the release of his third album make me feel that his attention wasn't pure and only commercial, and Mika's explainations confirm my suspicions because is coming out wasn't a necessity for him but more for make speaking about him :doh:

Releasing a happy album about love, relationships etc (with songs about his real life) was a good time to share his own happiness and talk about his real self? Isn't it exactly how it looked? I love it that he says he is confident and comfortable with his life :wub2:

I don't feel that's the case unless you are saying that he only wrote this album in the first place as a platform for some "coming out" marketing campaign. In spite of what he says about not having to know his sexual orientation to understand his music I don't see how he could have promoted this album with any credibility and still covered up the gender of the person he's writing about or just generally said that it's "private".

You could already see from the first interview where he was being pressed for a name that he was putting himself in an awkward position. How many times can he refuse to answer the question? No one is going to accept that in 2012. If you don't want to talk about your private life then don't write an entire album about it. I think the fact that he did write an entire album about it meant that he was ready to discuss it.

I'm sure there must have been some marketing type decision at some point that he was going to have to be open about it just like he made a decision when he was 22 that he was not going to be open about it. But that's just common sense and being prepared. That doesn't mean he was sitting around trying to invent ways to make a comeback and sell albums and thought "I'm sure if I tell everyone I'm gay I'll sell another 6 million albums."

I mean that's not exactly a solid marketing plan to sell albums anyway is it? If that was his idea then it's a pretty dumb one IMO :naughty: I know the Brits and Americans in particular don't care to the point where it actually puts them off. Many of the comments I've seen are of the "we are not interested in your sex life so just shut up" variety. Some of them don't even know who Mika is but that is their general feeling about celebrities coming out. They consider it non news and publicity seeking.

I don't even like the women's world and that I generally enjoy more "the male way of thinking" (which is not purely biological but also created by our society).

I'm married to a man and happy about it. Outside that I don't fancy anyone, not any man or any woman.

I have always felt this way too. Ironically I think it's point #1 that makes it more difficult to connect with some men because they often want women who bring that "women's world" to the table. My boss has even expected that of me in my job and I'm sorry but I just can't deliver. I have no more interest in decorating the office and organizing social outings than your male programmers, sorry :naughty:

And about point #2. I think even if I had bisexual tendencies once I was settled down with a man or woman I would probably begin to class myself as hetero or homosexual for the same reason. Once I'm in a relationship I don't fancy other people and would not have that as some sort of future or hypothetical option in my mind even if realistically it's something that could change in the future. In fact I become so narrow minded that it's hard for me to imagine falling for someone who is blonde and blue eyed if I'm with someone who has black hair and brown eyes. :naughty:

And to reinforce a bit what C. said above, here's a little excerpt of Montreal's interview:

Q: Is it why it was important for you to reveal your homosexuality this week in the American magazine Instinct?

A: In the songs from my new album, I talk about my life, whereas before I used to talk more about the life of people around me. It was the right moment to reveal my homosexuality, because at 28 years old I thought: I talk about my life in a way very few male pop singers will do it. I do it with a lot of joy and it was the right moment. My songs are not necessarily about my sexual orientation, but still about my personal life. I like pop music because it's universal. We didn't necessarily need to know I'm homosexual to understand my music. Above all it shows some comfort and confidence. I created all that is my career on my own. I don't hide anything. I arrived at a moment in my life when I'm confident and at ease in every way in my life. It gives me a completely invicible feeling of power and joy. It was important for me to do it in a good way and to choose to do it when I wanted to.

I'm sure there must have been some marketing type decision at some point that he was going to have to be open about it just like he made a decision when he was 22 that he was not going to be open about it. But that's just common sense and being prepared. That doesn't mean he was sitting around trying to invent ways to make a comeback and sell albums and thought "I'm sure if I tell everyone I'm gay I'll sell another 6 million albums."

I agree. Would be just silly not to think any plan.

And about point #2. I think even if I had bisexual tendencies once I was settled down with a man or woman I would probably begin to class myself as hetero or homosexual for the same reason. Once I'm in a relationship I don't fancy other people and would not have that as some sort of future or hypothetical option in my mind even if realistically it's something that could change in the future. In fact I become so narrow minded that it's hard for me to imagine falling for someone who is blonde and blue eyed if I'm with someone who has black hair and brown eyes. :naughty:

And yes, that's how I define my own identity and it feels just natural.

I don't feel that's the case unless you are saying that he only wrote this album in the first place as a platform for some "coming out" marketing campaign. In spite of what he says about not having to know his sexual orientation to understand his music I don't see how he could have promoted this album with any credibility and still covered up the gender of the person he's writing about or just generally said that it's "private".

You could already see from the first interview where he was being pressed for a name that he was putting himself in an awkward position. How many times can he refuse to answer the question? No one is going to accept that in 2012. If you don't want to talk about your private life then don't write an entire album about it. I think the fact that he did write an entire album about it meant that he was ready to discuss it.

I mean that's not exactly a solid marketing plan to sell albums anyway is it? If that was his idea then it's a pretty dumb one IMO :naughty: I know the Brits and Americans in particular don't care to the point where it actually puts them off. Many of the comments I've seen are of the "we are not interested in your sex life so just shut up" variety. Some of them don't even know who Mika is but that is their general feeling about celebrities coming out. They consider it non news and publicity seeking.

I didn't said that he wrote his album to make a coming out as Mika explained his songs are universal.

But my feeling toward his coming out after a lots of things and Mika explanations (who I'm sure he will change his explanation in every interviews :doh: ) that he trying to making speak of him before and at the release of his album in countries where he has less success.

For example in June and July he was in France when journalists asked him things about the fact he's in love he don't answered that he is in love with a man :doh: In Russia when the journalist asked him by what kind of girl attracted him big or skinny, he answered Dita Van Teese, why he don't say that he is not attract by women:doh:

Why a third coming out in Instinct Magazine, Mika is not famous in USA, he has fans there but the big majority of Americans don't care about Mika. He could do is coming out in Out or Attitude in UK, is where he live.

It is only my feeling :wink2:

Edited by Sephira

Nina, I f*cking love your post!! And totally agree.

@tiibet if you think you could fall in love with a woman you are not hetero though. Often people think that rules don't apply to them but I don't think it is that complicated.

I´m straight. I´m with a man, and have a kid. Never been with a girl. But like a couple of months ago I started having...erm... "more contact" with a girl who declared herself as bisexual. She flirted. Did I feel attracted? Yes, why not?? Does it mean I´m bisexual aswell? I dont think so. The way people tends to flirt is quite... erm... likeable?? (sorry, couldn´t find a better word) we all like when people flirt with us, don´t we? That relation never went to any place. First of all cause I´m already married (more or less) and second, because even if I could imagine myself cuddling even kissing a girl, I´m sure I could never go beyond... you know what I mean?? I had a relation with a girl when I was 7 LOL, yeah, but I bet it happened to almost anyone (or at least I hope so :aah:) but that was more like "let´s do this, I´ve seen adults do it, let´s try!!" But apart from that, nothing. One of my friends of my teen years tried again a relation with me and I felt it disgusting.. so I´m sure I´m hetero, but still, liked this girl a couple of months ago... I think that the more open minded we are, the more close to feel things we are. I seriously would have liked to kiss that girl, but nothing else.

I am looking for European citizenship so if you ever need a wife just let me know. :mf_rosetinted:

:lmfao:

I didn't said that he wrote his album to make a coming out as Mika explained his songs are universal.

But my feeling toward his coming out after a lots of things and Mika explanations (who I'm sure he will change his explanation in every interviews :doh: ) that he trying to making speak of him before and at the release of his album in countries where he has less success.

For example in June and July he was in France when journalists asked him things about the fact he's in love he don't answered that he is in love with a man :doh: In Russia when the journalist asked him by what kind of girl attracted him big or skinny, he answered Dita Van Teese, why he don't say that he is not attract by women:doh:

Why a third coming out in Instinct Magazine, Mika is not famous in USA, he has fans there but the big majority of Americans don't care about Mika. He could do is coming out in Out or Attitude in UK, is where he live.

Maybe he thought Russia wasn´t the best place to talk about homosexuality.

And about his coming out... he was in London when he said he was in love with a man... so I think he is doing it fine.

Moreover, he is free to say what he wants wherever he wants and whenever he wants... If we understand this is hard for him, we will easily understand why he is doing it step by step..

I guess I don't see any reason for him not to use it to his advantage. I don't think it makes it any less sincere or difficult or freeing. It is the French and UK press that have made this a story anyway. The American article has not even been published yet. And as you pointed out he'd already come out on stage in the UK and mentioned a boyfriend to the Danish press so this was not his big coming out anyway, it's just the blurb that happened to get picked up by all the press.

I don't see the point in painting this in a negative light. Mika doesn't give interviews to anyone for any reason other than to sell his product. He doesn't call up the media for a chat because he's feeling lonely. That's just a reality that everyone has to accept and it has nothing to do with this particular subject. When he wanted to share this with his fans he stood on a stage and told them face to face. I don't know how one can be cynical about his motives in that case.

At the end of the day it's a good thing and the only shame about it is that it wasn't advantageous for him to freely answer questions in 2007. But that's all water under the bridge now and hopefully by the end of 2012 no one is going to have any interest in talking about Mika's sexual orientation again. :naughty:

He's a popstar. He has right to show the media just whatever he want , has right to show only selected things to fans on his purpose. So when he does interview in media and reveal something, there's a reason. 'Right time to do it, thinking of he's about to release album about 'LOVE', isn't it? :wink2: One clear thing is, he may use 'coming out' thing to attract his album, that's a kind of 'freedom' given to popstars.. :naughty: but he didnt' write 'gay code' songs 'just to be famous', deceiving himself and fans who listen those songs. SO I don't think there's something to be criticized by fans....

I'd say his coming out was at Heaven, but obviously coming out during is gig is not being picked up by the press, so to get it over with he kind of had to do an interview about it, and a gay magazine would be the logical choice there. And I don't remember who said it, but I thought it was very well put: he does not call the press because he is lonely. Telling the story behind an album is part of the promo, regardless of what that story is.

I still don't think the Danish thing was actually a coming out. The way it was phrased was just off. "my fans would not be surprised to hear if I was in a relationship with a man" or something like that. To me, that sounded more like the answer to a question like "Are you not discussing your sexuality because you are afraid to loose fans if they hear you're gay".

In Russia when the journalist asked him by what kind of girl attracted him big or skinny, he answered Dita Van Teese, why he don't say that he is not attract by women:doh:

He didn't say he is sexually attracted by women,he only said he likes women like Dita Von Teese :dunno: I like some women too and that doesn't mean I'm lesbian.

I'd say his coming out was at Heaven, but obviously coming out during is gig is not being picked up by the press, so to get it over with he kind of had to do an interview about it, and a gay magazine would be the logical choice there. And I don't remember who said it, but I thought it was very well put: he does not call the press because he is lonely. Telling the story behind an album is part of the promo, regardless of what that story is.

I still don't think the Danish thing was actually a coming out. The way it was phrased was just off. "my fans would not be surprised to hear if I was in a relationship with a man" or something like that. To me, that sounded more like the answer to a question like "Are you not discussing your sexuality because you are afraid to loose fans if they hear you're gay".

You say that him dedicating TOOL at Heaven was his first coming out, I completely agree. And honestly, I have never ever seen him more nervous, or that nervous, actually. It doesn't come off in the videos (the ones I've seen anyway) at all, but it was so obvious at the moment. That alone makes me believe that it was not a mere promotional tool. Ofcourse it was planned, how could it not be? In a lot of the articles quoting the American article was a reference to him dedicating the song the "the man he loves" as well, by the way! It may not have reached the whole wide world after the gig, but it definitely was the start of a new era.

You say that him dedicating TOOL at Heaven was his first coming out, I completely agree. And honestly, I have never ever seen him more nervous, or that nervous, actually. It doesn't come off in the videos (the ones I've seen anyway) at all, but it was so obvious at the moment. That alone makes me believe that it was not a mere promotional tool. Ofcourse it was planned, how could it not be? In a lot of the articles quoting the American article was a reference to him dedicating the song the "the man he loves" as well, by the way! It may not have reached the whole wide world after the gig, but it definitely was the start of a new era.

After he said, what he said, on stage at Heaven, I understood about his attack of nerves beforehand.

I think he was scared, but that he wanted to get it over with. He's comfortable and happy with how he is, but in order for his relationship to stand the best chance of lasting, he had to openly admit that he's gay.

I think the interviews beforehand, like when he was talking to that nice guy on the vid, it was a kind of... "Let me put it out there and see what happens." Then at Heaven he actually said it. So this graduation from. "You could call me bisexual." To his revelation at Heaven, was a gradual thing. But just to make the transition a bit easier for himself. Since he is such a private person, it can't have been easy. But as he admitted, it's always been there in songs like Billy Brown and Toy Boy, and his metaphores about broken trains and 11 stone spooks on his shoulder, whispering to him. All of which makes so much more sense now.

That's what I think anyway.