2012 - Mika Tells Instinct, “Yeah, I’m gay.”

dcdeb

• Replies 847
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The true 'origin of love' goes way way beyond our bodies anyway. We all knew from the get-go that Mika was an amazingly loving, and truly talented being -- what a rare JOY to feel that loving energy from a recording artist, and from all his music that truly resonates in our own hearts, minds, and being!!!!!

Does it really matter at all who all the great love songs were really written for?!!! Will we ever really know?!!!!! Will we ever really care?!!!!!!!!

It's just ALL ABOUT THE LOVE...

I have the hugest love and respect for Mika, and I also love that through this revelation, he's inspiring all of us to live our own 'real lives' -- whatever that might mean to each one of us... and to live our lives with whoever we choose share them with... and to spend every day doing something creative that feeds our soul... AMEN!!!

Having said all that... when's Mika coming back to Boston?!!!!!!!!!

ImFree-1.jpg

LovinMikaBigTime

Look at what I got today, my brother found it in the record shop we were in!

4191.jpg

I'm sure I could pick it up for someone if they really wanted it, it might be a bit expensive though! :thumb_yello:

Edited by MikaMadLuke
Image resize! Ooops.

The true 'origin of love' goes way way beyond our bodies anyway. We all knew from the get-go that Mika was an amazingly loving, and truly talented being -- what a rare JOY to feel that loving energy from a recording artist, and from all his music that truly resonates in our own hearts, minds, and being!!!!!

Does it really matter at all who all the great love songs were really written for?!!! Will we ever really know?!!!!! Will we ever really care?!!!!!!!!

It's just ALL ABOUT THE LOVE...

I have the hugest love and respect for Mika, and I also love that through this revelation, he's inspiring all of us to live our own 'real lives' -- whatever that might mean to each one of us... and to live our lives with whoever we choose share them with... and to spend every day doing something creative that feeds our soul... AMEN!!!

Having said all that... when's Mika coming back to Boston?!!!!!!!!!

ImFree-1.jpg

LovinMikaBigTime

It's just ALL ABOUT THE LOVE..

AMEN!!!

:wub2:

You said it all :thumb_yello:

I think about Boston nothing yet, so far the USA has New York, Chicago and Los Angeles ok

Look at what I got today, my brother found it in the record shop we were in!

4191.jpg

I'm sure I could pick it up for someone if they really wanted it, it might be a bit expensive though! :thumb_yello:

And look what I found today at my local gym... post-23694-142983698145_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

Thanks Christine for uploading the whole interview to Mika in Instinct Magazine I'm so proud Mika felt happy, and confident self to tell this notice to Whole World, The fans will always support Mika whatever you need, because We will always love, Mika, you means so much to us, your fans

Mika could be brown, Mika could be blue, Mika could be violet sky...

:thumb_yello::mf_rosetinted::huglove::mikalove:

90px-Kunsten_en_Letteren_Ridder.jpgmika-frederic-mitterrand-2010-1-25-1-19-25.jpg

*MIKA 'chevalier des arts'

5pltus.jpg

French report here:

There's some rare footage of Mika at events in France in it :thumb_yello:

List of members of the Ordre des Arts et des Lettres :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_members_of_the_Ordre_des_Arts_et_des_Lettres

including #MIKA !

mika-frederic-mitterrand-2010-1-25-1-21-27.jpg

Mika Receives the Knight of the Arts and Letters Medal

from French Minister of Culture Frederic Mitterrand in Cannes

http://www.topnews.in/mika-receives-knight-arts-and-letters-medal-french-minister-culture-frederic-mitterrand-cannes-22991

Mika Lost French Knighthood On Night Out

http://www.contactmusic.com/news/mika-lost-french-knighthood-on-night-out_1134356

Edited by A. Clay

• 2 weeks later...
Shame to say this words about all religions because this do not tally with the desire to live as you want. I do not know what religion forbids blood transfusions. There are many sects. I'm not with them. I am a blood donor. Religion does not forbid me to donate blood. But if it is banned, then I would still be a blood donor. Because this saves more lives. But friends and relatives say, that I ceased to be a donor. It is possible that I have strayed to the rescue. I always wanted someone to save . Doctors, rescuers and firefighters are my heroes.I condemn abortion. It is impossible to live in peace and know that you killed your child. It will forever remain in your memory. This weakness will not atone for any prayers.

Good for you for being a blood donor, but I really object to your sweeping condemnation of abortion. Maybe you should condemn less and seek to understand more. For me the most powerful words in Christianity are Christ's:

'Let him who is without sin cast the first stone'.

If you want to rescue someone there are many suffering animals that need help.

Good for you for being a blood donor, but I really object to your sweeping condemnation of abortion. Maybe you should condemn less and seek to understand more. For me the most powerful words in Christianity are Christ's:

'Let him who is without sin cast the first stone'.

If you want to rescue someone there are many suffering animals that need help.

Don't worry,she's not a Mika fan anymore.

for me personally i can say that god is the same for me like any other fairytales of my childhood. as a child i believed in santa claus, in fairies and monsters, and in god (i was brought up catholic). of course you will say it's not the same, but for me there's no difference, except that the belief that there's a god is widely accepted, and the belief that there are fairies isn't. at some point i learned to believe only in things that i can see or feel or for which there is a scientific explanation.

i never really thought about *why* this is like it is, but laurel's post made me think that bullying might indeed have been a reason. as a child your life depends on other people, you trust your family that they protect you, and where they can't, maybe you trust god that he does. but when something bad happens to you that no one can protect you from, not even your prayers, and you absolutely fail to see the meaning of why this happened, even keeps happening again and again, then you might lose your faith. :dunno:

of course the fact that i don't believe in god doesn't mean i want to burn churches or support this in any way, it's absolutely not the same! churches for me are beautiful buildings, they have a special atmosphere, and i totally respect and understand that those who believe in god love those places and that this atmosphere and their prayers there make them feel calm and better.

maybe there is some sort of higher power, we all still know too little about this world to be absolutely sure. but the god i was taught about in my childhood doesn't exist for me, those are nothing but fairytale stories for me. :wink2:

Me too

I also think religion is a way to cope with the fear of death and of 'not being'

Hmmm bit gloomy...sorry

On a happier note, I am really delighted for Mika - and also for myself as about to become proud Mum to a 3 month old kitten! Wheee!!

Sorry, just had to share that

x

:groupwave:

Yes that it what I mean. I don't believe anyone would willingly choose these beliefs as an adult because they are masochistic and unnatural. No one is going to spend their childhood free of these ideas and then suddenly decide as an adult that everything that they do is being watched and judged by some malevolent force who will sentence them to an eternity in hell if they follow their natural instincts and do the things that make them happy. It could only be the result of a lifetime of cultural and religious conditioning or some serious psychological disorder like schizophrenia.

You put it well

Oh my god... That is incredibly sad. :tears:I cannot understand how someone else's, possibly a total stranger's, personal life could bother someone so much. Hate crimes like this are extremely tragic and a manifestation of what the human nature is capable of at its worst.

I know!! Its ridiculous - its not as if they have to be gay! Stonewall summed it up so well 'If you don't approve of gay relationships then we strongly recommend you don't have a relationship with someone of the same sex'. And as they put it elsewhere

'Some people are gay - get over it'

• 3 years later...

EXCLUSIVE SNEAK PEEK: Mika Tells Instinct, “Yeah, I’m gay.”

Written by Instinct Staff | Friday, 03 August 2012

Many likely remember a 2009 Dutch magazine cover featuring pop star Mika with the sprawling headline “Mika Clears Things Up: Call Me Bisexual.”

The only problem was that the story, which he calls “disappointing,” didn’t clear things up at all because it wasn’t exactly what he intended to say.

Earlier this week, in a world exclusive, Mika sat down with Instinct to set the record straight (so to speak): “If you ask me am I gay, I say yeah. Are these songs about my relationship with a man? I say yeah. And it’s only through my music that I’ve found the strength to come to terms with my sexuality beyond the context of just my lyrics. This is my real life.”

For more with Mika, including his first public comments about his relationship and the role he feels celebrities play as representatives for the LGBT community, check out the upcoming September issue of Instinct Magazine—coming soon.

http://instinctmagazine.com/blogs/blog/exclusive-sneak-peek-mika-tells-instinct-%E2%80%9Cyeah-i%E2%80%99m-gay-%E2%80%9D?directory=100011

The URL http://instinctmagazine.com/blogs/blog/exclusive-sneak-peek-mika-tells-instinct-%E2%80%9Cyeah-i%E2%80%99m-gay-%E2%80%9D?directory=100011

doesn't work....

I think it's a part of the interview

Cover Guy: Mika

http://instinctmagazine.com/article/cover-guy-mika

Mika is the first to admit he’s a kid at heart. An affinity for cartoon art, bright colors and playful melody quickly became a calling card of sorts when the curly-haired entertainer exploded on the pop scene in 2007. Mika, the performer, and his music were seen by many—industry and otherwise—as a refreshing change from the manufactured (mostly female) pop stars of the moment. After all, this was a classically trained musician who was writing his own songs, all with a clear sense of who he was and how he wanted to be portrayed to the public.

That is, who he thought he was at 21.But like (hopefully) most of us, Mika has come to realize that the “kid” the world met years ago isn’t the same person who today is sitting nervously in a London hotel room, where a group of 60 fans have flown in from all over Europe to hear the first preview of his new album, The Origin Of Love, out Oct. 16. One would think that after more than 7 million albums sold, years touring the world and a Grammy nomination, a pop star of Mika’s stature wouldn’t be too fazed by a listening party. Except that this album, his third, is poised to reveal a completely different Mika—more confident, more comfortable and more honest than ever before.

“The album kind of tracks the cutting up of my personal life, really for the first time,” Mika says. “I said I was going to write about myself and not just put characters in my songs. The first, and to an extent second, record had this kind of precociousness, childlike and brazen in a good way. But now the caricatures have disappeared. Now it’s a lot more to heart.”

Heart and, if we’re to judge an album by its title, love. The Origin Of Love not only encompasses the theme of the album, but it’s also the name of a song, Mika’s self-professed favorite. It was the first track he wrote for the album—in fact the first he wrote after a dry spell of more than a year and a half—and he did so in a moment of what he calls “lyrical vomit,” completing the verses in just 15 minutes.

Where did the inspiration for such a rush of joyous affirmation of love for someone come from? Matter-of-factly and proudly, Mika responds that it was his boyfriend.

“This is a song about someone I love, and it’s okay to love anyone—even if I am in love with a man,” Mika says, for the first time discussing his relationship publicly.

“‘The Origin Of Love’ is my version of the ultimate love song. It basically says I will find confidence in your love, and through this relationship I can conquer any mountain, any hate, and I can throw away all the prejudices and all the things I’ve had resting on my back. It dealt with sexuality in its most positive way.”

Because as instantly as his first single, “Grace Kelly,” became a hit around the world in 2007, so, too, began public questions about Mika’s sexuality. He never lied or denied when the media asked pointed questions. And he certainly, as he emphatically points out, never wore a beard. He simply would redirect interviews back to the subject at hand, the reason he thought there was public interest in him in the first place: his music. That was until the publication of one particular article in 2009.

In an interview with Dutch magazine Gay & Night, Mika was once again asked how he defines his sexuality. And he responded, as he had many times before, that he doesn’t like the idea of labeling and defining people by the strict social terms we use to classify whom people sleep with. Except this time he took it a bit further in dealing with the near-obsessive need to label him as something and added: “Call me whatever you want. Call me bisexual if you need a term for me.”

In our age of media immediacy, the quote and subsequent magazine cover, with the headline “Mika Clears Things Up: Call Me Bisexual,” spread like wildfire. The only problem was that the news didn’t clear things up at all—because it wasn’t exactly what Mika intended to say.

“If you read the article, it was very disjointed and a very odd thing. I was actually really unhappy with it,” he says. “I didn’t care that he quoted me saying, ‘Call me bi,’ but the way that it came across was so nonchalant, in a kind of flippant way, because of the way the interview was structured. It annoyed me because I’ve been so considerate about sexuality and so respectful. It was just too flippant. I didn’t like it at all, and it really irritated me.”

Mika says he made the bisexual statement within a discussion about having had past relationships with both men and women. But the gay blogosphere immediately pounced, calling the move a mere tiptoe out of the closet, a sign of fear of a career backlash.

For his part, Mika says he stayed away from the (sometimes harsh) commentary that followed the article, instead focusing on work. As for the questions that some lob about why he hasn’t addressed his sexuality again since that 2009 article, Mika responds with poise and consideration on the subject, something that he says he may have needed a little time to understand.

Read more about Mika in the September issue of Instinct!