Overrated (OOL version) - Song and Lyrics Discussion

LaraMay

Did anyone else notice that the lyrics in the booklet read "light this tragic"?

:blink:

Which doesn't make as much sense as what we hear - "life is tragic".

:doh: there were mistakes even in the japanese edition of LICM, the only one with lyrics inside.

Listened again, and it does sound more like 'light this tragic' than 'life is tragic'. Plus it follows the 'stars are magic' line, so it even makes sense, sort of.

Suzy I can't see that link? Where did it come from? I only have the digital booklet and there are no lyrics for Overrated in it and someone in France told me the physical booklet was the same.

After fork out my daylight I will believe anything. :naughty:

But let me tell you that lyrics in CD booklets are not always gospel. I worked for the manager of a British band and my boss gave me a cassette that came from the master tape and told me to listen to it and transcribe the lyrics. So the lyrics that went to the record company were only as good as my ear. :wink2:

Yeah, often the lyrics aren't 100 percent correct in booklets, but maybe I'm just saying that so I won't have to edit my signature lol, anyway, I held it in my hands today :wub2: It's in the middle of the booklet where it belongs...

b8445c5a034c11e2851d22000a1cf766_7.jpg

Why is it in your book and not mine? :sneaky2:

Anyway I think the lyric actually makes sense if you take it as part of a sentence with the following line.

Stars are magic

Light this tragic

Crime of passion

I'm just asking

That makes MORE sense than "Life is tragic?" :no:

I can understand the lyrics as four separate sentence fragments, with "life is tragic". But as one sentence, it doesn't really work for me. Oh well. I'm still traumatized by "all I see just don't make sense." :tears:

Edited by dcdeb

Stars are magic

Light this tragic

Crime of passion

I'm just asking

I can understand the lyrics as four separate sentence fragments, with "life is tragic". But as one sentence, it doesn't really work for me. Oh well. I'm still traumatized by "all I see just don't make sense." :tears:

Is that from Underwater? Wasn't that All I See Just Amazes? :aah: I give up

Why is it in your book and not mine? :sneaky2:

Anyway I think the lyric actually makes sense if you take it as part of a sentence with the following line.

'Cause they knew I'd throw a tantrum if it wasn't :naughty:

But yeah, that's unfair and odd :blink:

Stars are magic

Light this tragic

Crime of passion

I'm just asking

The magic stars light up the tragic crime of passion he's asking for?

Is that from Underwater? Wasn't that All I See Just Amazes? :aah: I give up

Yes, and yes. But it seems I just always heard it wrong and it's always been "All I see just don't make sense." I went back and listened to the first videos of it. Oh well.

And I've been meaning to ask -- why do you have Mika as a poodle in your sig? :blink: I've always thought of him as more like a greyhound or a pharaoh hound, maybe even an afghan hound. :teehee:

I never said it made MORE sense. :wink2:

This is the same man who wrote "fork out my daylight" so...

I'm beginning to wonder: where did he write that? In the music book it says fog, not fork.

And 'all I see just don't make sense' might be grammatically incorrect, but it makes more sense than 'all I see just amazes'

The magic stars light up the tragic crime of passion he's asking for?

I'll buy that. :naughty:

I'm beginning to wonder: where did he write that? In the music book it says fog, not fork.

We heard it from a reliable source. :wink2:

And 'all I see just don't make sense' might be grammatically incorrect, but it makes more sense than 'all I see just amazes'

Makes sense to me. :dunno:

I'm asking you to light this tragic crime of passion? :blink:

:mf_rosetinted:

Actually, my guess would be something along the lines of:

Stars are magic, lighting/showing this tragedy

(Commit a) crime of passion, I'm just asking (you)

And then someone that has a better grasp of the English language than me can turn it into something more poetic, like:

Stars are magic

Light this tragic

Crime of passion

I'm just asking

Please don't tell me I have to search the forum for the word 'fork' to find out :purse:

If I recall Alex Millar, who is the countertenor on Over My Shoulder, had a Facebook group about LICM years ago and confirmed it there. It was also published in the Japanese booklet.

If I recall Alex Millar, who is the countertenor on Over My Shoulder, had a Facebook group about LICM years ago and confirmed it there. It was also published in the Japanese booklet.

Thank you Christine.

But... wtf?!?

:doh::no:

Edit: Actually, if you put it next to the somewhat abusive lyrics of overrated plus the voodoo pins in toyboy, it just might make sense after all.

And I've been meaning to ask -- why do you have Mika as a poodle in your sig? :blink: I've always thought of him as more like a greyhound or a pharaoh hound, maybe even an afghan hound. :teehee:

Saw it here and I thought it was so funny and cute that I adopted little poodle Mika lol http://www.popheart.fr/chaine-alimentaire.html

• 2 weeks later...

I'm torn about this song. On the one hand, I love the verses and lyrics... but I'm really not sure about the use of the Overrated chorus. I loved the original demo of Overrated so much, and had always hoped it would become a proper song some day, and now it definitely won't, so I'm sad about that. That said, while I don't like the chorus in the new version, I do actually really love the new version, and the way he sings the verses is just fhfhgjdfhdkh *melts*