Popular Song - Discussion

mellody

Yes, I was just trying to point out that she can do something else than rapping Priscilla´s part LOL

Oh yes, of course she can. What I meant is that maybe Mika kept in mind that he will need someone who can rap when he hired Joy :thumb_yello:

I'm pretty sure he says "It is what it is, now I’m popular bitch", to highlight the fact that positions have reversed, and the word you guys are looking for is probably "foolgazy", meaning that the bully used to call him all sorts of names, including this one about his clothes or whatever. I might be entirely wrong, though, it's just a suggestion :)

I'm pretty sure he says "It is what it is, now I’m popular bitch", to highlight the fact that positions have reversed, and the word you guys are looking for is probably "foolgazy", meaning that the bully used to call him all sorts of names, including this one about his clothes or whatever. I might be entirely wrong, though, it's just a suggestion :)

No, I'm pretty sure it's FUGAZI.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=fugazi

And yes, I do think it's *I'm* popular, bitch -- but it's Priscilla who sings that, not Mika.

Nope, only lyrics for TOOL, Underwater, Love You When I'm Drunk and Heroes. :sneaky2:

Are you serious? Sheesh. :banghead:

Edited by dcdeb

My first impression of the song after the listening session is changed a bit (this means that for me is not enough to listen the song just once..). I don't like the "rap" so much..but I admit that the chorus is captivating and Priscilla's voice is really amazing!

My first impression of the song after the listening session is changed a bit (this means that for me is not enough to listen the song just once..). I don't like the "rap" so much..but I admit that the chorus is captivating and Priscilla's voice is really amazing!

I'm probably stating the obvious here and everyone knows that, but it's a sort of cover/rap rendition of "Popular" from "Wicked". I couldn't believe it when I first listened to it! It's definitely one of my favorite from the album :thumb_yello:

I hated this song so much on the first listen that i skipped it about 30 seconds in. However i listened to the song in it's entirety today and it was brilliant. Very 14-years-old-and-poppy, but I can appreciate it :biggrin2:

Really? :wink2:

I felt that it will be one of the best from the first listening of that little bit of НЕ sampler! :wub2:

Btw I wonder what 14 y.o. Mika would say, if someone from Time Machine told him about this his song!

His sophisticated revenge :kachinga:

Definitely one of my fave songs from this album! :wub2:

Bold = Caz's input ^^[/b

Here's what I could figure out from the lyrics so far, not sure about a few bits though... any other ideas? :wink2:

edit: thanks to deb, here are the edited lyrics of the part we have so far:

You were the popular one, the popular chick

It is what it is, not popular bitch

Standing on my feet with your pretty pompom

Now you're working at the movies selling popular corn

I could have been a mess but I never went wrong

'Cause I'm putting down my stories in a popular song

I said I'm putting down my story in a popular song

My problem, I never was a model

I never was a scholar (Thanks Suzy ^^)

You were always popular

You were singing all the songs I don't know

Now you're in the front row 'cause my song is popular

CHORUS

Popular

I know about popular

It's not about who you are

Or your fancy car

You're only ever who you were

Popular

I know about popular

And all that you have to do

Is be true to you

That's all you ever need to know

Catch up! 'Cause you got an awful long way to go

Catch up! 'Cause you got an awful long way to go

Always on the lookout for someone to hate

Picking on me like a dinner plate

I hid during classes and in between them

Dunk me in the toilets now it's you that cleans them

You're tryin' to make me feel bad with the sh*t you do

It ain't so funny when the joke's on you

Ooh, the joke's on you

And everyone's laughing

Got everyone clapping, asking

How come you look so cool

Cause that's the only thing that I learned at school

What? Uh-huh

So that's the only thing that I learned at school

My problem

I never was a model

I never was a scholar

You were always popular

You were singing all the songs I don't know

Now you're in the front row 'cause my song is popular

REPEAT CHORUS

Before the next time that you call 'em crazy, lazy, a faggot,

Or that *??*

Here's the one thing that is so amazing

It ain't a bad thing to be a *??* baby!

My input...

Is it me, or do these lyrics make no sense whatsoever? I mean, the bit about always being what you were suggests he's still not popular (or successful) and she it, but the whole rest of the song suggests the opposite :dunno: And if in her case "popular" means she was fakey and really a bitch, what does that make his popular song?

I've only heard the sampler (damn the post office!) but I've read the lyrics to a lot of the songs and this seems to be a problem with many of them- they sound promising when you hear them the first time, but when you look at them properly you think, Eh?

Is it me, or do these lyrics make no sense whatsoever? I mean, the bit about always being what you were suggests he's still not popular (or successful) and she it, but the whole rest of the song suggests the opposite :dunno: And if in her case "popular" means she was fakey and really a bitch, what does that make his popular song?

I've only heard the sampler (damn the post office!) but I've read the lyrics to a lot of the songs and this seems to be a problem with many of them- they sound promising when you hear them the first time, but when you look at them properly you think, Eh?

I understood it as this:

We all know Mika got bullied as a kid because he rammed it down our throats since day 1 lol :naughty: So to me it sounds like he's saying yeah I wasn't popular at school (My problem, I never was a model, I never was a scholar, YOU were always popular) and that someone else was, but as the years went on times have changed and that the popular one's life isn't so good (Now you're working at the movies selling popular corn/dunked me in the toilet now it's you that cleans them) and now Mika is the popular one (Now you're in the front row 'cause my song is popular...I'm assuming this means that he's seen them at his own concerts). It's the second verse where you hear how the "popular one" treated Mika/whoever badly and he's basically saying that the tables have turned now.

I also don't see Mika and the female backing singer having a conversation, I just see it as a collaboration, a duet. As for the chorus (I know about popular, it's not about who you are or your fancy cars, you're only ever who you were) suggests to me that it's not popularity that's important but just being true to yourself.

That's what I got anyway.

Edited by CazGirl