Comme un Soleil Mal Luné Lyrics/Discussion

dcdeb

aaah i see!....actually no... i don't see why this one word has so many usages with such extreme meaning but i'll take your word for it and at face value :aah:

i also saw that ta gueule is basically STFU :aah: so that confused me even more :naughty:

thanks guys!!:huglove:

French is a complex languages, full of exceptions and words with multiple meanings

French is a complex languages, full of exceptions and words with multiple meanings

No different than English then. :naughty:

I love this song because of the accent and soft sounds. Germanic languages have such hard consonants and the modern North American accent is becoming unbearably nasal.

I saw an argument on YouTube yesterday that Mika must be French because only a Frenchie could pronounce the way he does.

I still can't stand Karen or The Song That Shall Not Be Named but this is really beautiful and the live performances are even better.

I love this song because of the accent and soft sounds. Germanic languages have such hard consonants and the modern North American accent is becoming unbearably nasal.

I saw an argument on YouTube yesterday that Mika must be French because only a Frenchie could pronounce the way he does.

I still can't stand Karen or The Song That Shall Not Be Named but this is really beautiful and the live performances are even better.

I heard him say in interview that was He and the one I won,t name were trying to write songs that Michel Berger would write if still alive. This song is a perfect exemple of it, IMO.

For me this song is the most beautiful one out of the 3 French songs (EMD is too different so I won't include it) exactly because it's the best of the French language that we can hear in there (with Mika's soft voice in addition :wub2:) It's nice to know that non native speakers also appreciate this special sound.

As for Mika being French, I've had an example of French people still thinking Mika is French in the queue for the gig on Tuesday, the Korean girl who I was queuing with told me her French teacher thought he's French.

It doesn't surprise me that much because Mika is indeed bilingual but still; are they not interested at all to not even know where he's from...

His pronuncitation is perfect indeed. It's thanks to his musical ear or perfect pitch. He can hear if the wrong key is played,he can play by ear, he can grab an accent (even when he tries other languages than French or English, he's really good according to native people)

His pronuncitation is perfect indeed. It's thanks to his musical ear or perfect pitch. He can hear if the wrong key is played,he can play by ear, he can grab an accent (even when he tries other languages than French or English, he's really good according to native people)
oh that's so true, he's excellent at foreign languages: his Italian pronunciation in Rome was perfect (he sang a couple of verses in Origin and Stardust)

For me this song is the most beautiful one out of the 3 French songs (EMD is too different so I won't include it) exactly because it's the best of the French language that we can hear in there (with Mika's soft voice in addition :wub2:) It's nice to know that non native speakers also appreciate this special sound.

it's my favorite among the French songs as well :swoon:

Yes you can tell he is a great mimic even in English as he moves between American and British accents.

why christine can't stand Karen? it's beautifullll and sounds like a movie soundtrack....and what is The Song that Shall Not Be Named? :blink:

I just don't like it. There's no accounting for taste I guess. :dunno::naughty:

I'm talking about Blame It On The Weather. If I'm honest it sounds a lot better in French but I am still traumatized by the horrible English version and can't listen to it.

Yes you can tell he is a great mimic even in English as he moves between American and British accents.

I just don't like it. There's no accounting for taste I guess. :dunno::naughty:

I'm talking about Blame It On The Weather. If I'm honest it sounds a lot better in French but I am still traumatized by the horrible English version and can't listen to it.

I understand what you mean, but the first time I listened to it in French I immediately erased the English version from my memory, RAM, hard disk, brain...whatever.

French fits perfectly with the melody, no one is screaming like Celine Dion anymore...and baby,it's just another love song :wub2:

He sings it so beautifully! I don't care if he reads the damn lyrics:wub2:

:lmfao:

But... yeah, I agree totally! :swoon:

French fits perfectly with the melody, no one is screaming like Celine Dion anymore...and baby,it's just another love song :wub2:

Yes, I'm with you there -- if I just LISTEN to the French version, and don't think too much, I can almost forget the English version. Almost. Not entirely, but enough that I can enjoy it for what it is. A pretty little melody with words I don't understand, but that blend with it beautifully. :wub2:

Edited by dcdeb

Yes, I'm with you there -- if I just LISTEN to the French version, and don't think too much, I can almost forget the English version. Almost. Not entirely,

but enough that I can enjoy it for what it is. A pretty little melody with words I don't understand, but that blend with it beautifully. :wub2:

You know? there a little satisfaction in me thinking about all you english speakers for once in my shoes! :naughty:

I prefer blame it on the weather, there is a sensitivity there that I can not find on the french version, I love Mika and Ida voices together... the lyrics are not the same, it's not the same space and the same intention... futhermore the lyrics of the french version start to bother me

oh I forget to say: I hope he did not change this song for a french version without Ida because of what were written there about it... not really kind, of nice things written toward this really talented woman that is Ida... I really hope it is not about it... that's all for now...

Edited by Etoile2roses

I had no problem with Ida. It's the embarrassing bad lyrics. Mika's performances that I saw were not very good either. He sounded so strained and cheesy. Ballads need to be soft and subtle or real powerhouses like HE. Anything in between sounds really old fashioned and lame.

oh well I was not in the good section :D here we are talking about "comme un soleil mal luné" and I was talking about "l'amour dans le mauvais temps" well nevermind I feel the same for "comme un soleil mal luné" (even if there were no english version)... I don't like some of his lyrics honestly :( even in the old songs... People says I am negative, I think he is worse than me...

Edited by Etoile2roses

• 2 weeks later...
Like a sun in a bad mood.

Love, it's as stupid as the moon

What wouldn't we do for nothing (+ prune= plum)

I can't sleep without pills

I put an hour forward and then back

(refers to changing time + stepping forward and then back)

Voilà... It's a bit weird to translate it into English as they play with the several meanings words have in French :'>

Thank you very much for the translation, Kaito. I don't speak French, but now I know what the song is about, all thanks to you.:thumb_yello:

And it's funny Mika sings he can't sleep without pills, because I currently have trouble falling asleep without sleeping pills, too. :blush-anim-cl:

I like the melody and the mood of this song. :teehee:

Yes, I'm with you there -- if I just LISTEN to the French version, and don't think too much, I can almost forget the English version. Almost. Not entirely, but enough that I can enjoy it for what it is. A pretty little melody with words I don't understand, but that blend with it beautifully. :wub2:

You know? there a little satisfaction in me thinking about all you english speakers for once in my shoes!

I agree with Robertina :aah: It's pretty fun to be the ones who understand FULLY the songs this time :D haha I won't say I don't understand his songs in English but I probably don't grasp every subtle meanings as you, English speakers, do :thumb_yello:

I agree with Robertina :aah:It's pretty fun to be the ones who understand FULLY the songs this time :D haha I won't say I don't understand his songs in English but I probably don't grasp every subtle meanings as you, English speakers, do :thumb_yello:

I speak french and I didn't really get AT ALL what he was talking about for the first times I listened to it. :fisch: First, he uses a LOT of metaphors. Second, I'm from Quebec so we don't have the same accent. In interviews it's not hard to understand but in this song it was not that simple. Now that I read the lyrics it's obvious. :thumb_yello:

I speak french and I didn't really get AT ALL what he was talking about for the first times I listened to it. :fisch: First, he uses a LOT of metaphors. Second, I'm from Quebec so we don't have the same accent. In interviews it's not hard to understand but in this song it was not that simple. Now that I read the lyrics it's obvious. :thumb_yello:

That's interesting! So French metaphors are different from Canadian French :blink: Could you give me examples with the lyrics, and tell me what you would have said instead?

That's interesting! So French metaphors are different from Canadian French :blink: Could you give me examples with the lyrics, and tell me what you would have said instead?

Yes it is but I looked at the lyrics and couldn't find much, maybe because I listen to a lot of french songs...

One example: je plombe l'ambiance... We will rather say something like : je casse le party