Doctor Who BBC

rachie b

Donna was awesome. Did you ever watch the Sarah Jane Adventures? It was like a spin-off sort of programme. I don't think it's on any more, they just show repeats.

I didn't watch the Sarah Jane adventures regularly BUT DID YOU KNOW THEY USED A MIKA SONG IN IT ONCE!!!! :lol:

They had to end the series because the actress Elizabeth Sladen (Sarah Jane) died from cancer

Some Sarah Jane adventures episodes are awesome, really (not especially the one with Mika in it tho Xd)

I tried not to open this thread before watching Face the Raven to avoid spoilers (kinda useless as twitter has already spoiled it all for me). Ok I didn't try not to cry... because I didn't want to cry at all Xd. Not that I wished Clara's dead but... i didn't really care, sorry Clara! 

But  I liked the athmosphere of the street (which I'll keep calling Diagon Alley because it's easier to remember Xd). And I really, really do like the strange love/hate relationship we're being given between Ashildr and the Doctor, oh, so many new things to explore with them, please keep going on with this storyline <3. And just the idea of this immortal soul stuck with a tiny human brain is so cool to explore. Also, Maisie Williams is absolutely brilliant in that role; so it makes me even more eager for moaaar 

Edited by Melyssa

But  I liked the athmosphere of the street (which I'll keep calling Diagon Alley because it's easier to remember Xd). And I really, really do like the strange love/hate relationship we're being given between Ashildr and the Doctor, oh, so many new things to explore with them, please keep going on with this storyline <3. And just the idea of this immortal soul stuck with a tiny human brain is so cool to explore. Also, Maisie Williams is absolutely brilliant in that role; so it makes me even more eager for moaaar 

I'm glad someone else thinks of the street as Diagon Alley too! 

I didn't watch the Sarah Jane adventures regularly BUT DID YOU KNOW THEY USED A MIKA SONG IN IT ONCE!!!! :lol:

They had to end the series because the actress Elizabeth Sladen (Sarah Jane) died from cancer

Really??  Which song?  I don't think I remember that episode. :doh:

I know about the actress, it's really sad that she died. :tears:

I'm glad someone else thinks of the street as Diagon Alley too! 

I thought the exact same thing! :hi5:

Okay, after Diagon Alley we're being chased by a Dementor in a castle where stairs and corridors are moving  :lol:

"It's a killer puzzle box designed to scare me to death, and I'm trapped inside it. It must be Christmas!"

Instant Cult Episode

Seriously, how I LOVED Heaven Sent. So, so much. I haven't felt that rush of excitement in front of Doctor Who for quite a while, and it was so good to get all these different emotions and this "WTF" roller coaster feeling again (spoilers about Heaven sent upcoming, by the way)

On the first, easy plan, it was an absolutely brilliant way of showing the madness of grieving without going too far into pathos. If I wasn't moved at all by Clara's death last week I have to admit the desperate speech of the Doctor in the TARDIS pulled some tears out of me. "Whatever I do, I'll remember, and you still won't be there"  :tears:

But then almost all of the enraged speeches in the TARDIS made me cry, so much intensity... (and then I cried again when I saw Gallifrey's Dome, because once I began crying there's no way of stopping me Xd)

But also we went so deep inside the Doctor's head, we saw him being completely deconstructed, I just love that so much. So many things to get from this episode, you can watch it a hundred times (or 2 billion years Xd - the amount of loops (that aren't even loops) done is enough to make my head spin for eternity.So many Doctor's skulls Oo) and still have something to discover it in.

And that's when you have an episode depending entirely on Capaldi's talent (and the amazing photography, let's mention that) that you realise even more how lucky we are to have such an incredibly talented actor as the Doctor  :bow: . This Doctor is at the same time so fragile and terrified and so strong and devastingly enraged, and that's just fascinating and shattering to watch. His variations on "Just for once, please, let me loose" were heart breaking and so intense, and his anger is terrifying.

And the physical suffering he is enduring to, wow!! Seing him crawling on the floor for hours, leaving blood behind... and realising he'll have to go through this agony over and over again... saturday night family show, my friends!

And so many powerful quotes. I love powerful quotes, I used to note them in a notebook  before. I think I would have noted 3/4 of the episode this time.

"When you loose someone, the first day isn't the worst. It's all the days they stay dead" ..

And let's not forget the music, oh my, it was ripping me appart.... 

But also, humour and gags, and nice blows on the 4th Wall ( It was so cool I felt like I was the companion :P  "I am nothing without an audience" Xd. ), mixing fun and tragic and horror and intensity, a thing in which Moffat masters when he wants to, really (as well as loops and stories told in a complete disorder). I have to confess I bursted into laugh when the Doctor screamed "This is theatre!!" and raised the skull  :lmfao:

No, really, this episode is a total winner for me, not only in the Whoniverse but in the TV world in general. My head is completely buzzing after one viewing and I can't wait to watch it again and go deeper and deeper in it.

Oh well apparently the internet has as much love than hate for this season finale ! (spoilers incoming about Hell bent)

Me I have to say that I did like it, actually. Very much. But my problem, for a change, is Clara. Or not really, it's not even her fault, Clara on her own is a nice girl, but... too many story arcs all about her, too, tooooo much of Clara being the thing that makes the world turning or in more cases not turning. You can't have so much about a character that is just here for a short period in a 50yo show, it can't work and we have now reach the point when so much as been done around her that everything is actualy begining to contradict the rest. And that Clara's personnality doesn't even make sense anymore.

And now I am torn between beeing sooo happy that Ashildr has her own TARDIS and with that the possibility to continue her story somewhere in the whoniverse and the fact that, oh sh*t, Clara is also aboard, can this TARDIS just blow up in space please? And it annoys me because I didn't care about Clara but it didn't mean I hated her. I don't want to hate her but they're doing their best for me to do so.

I would have loved Clara if her story has stopped after she sacrificed herself by jumping inside the Doctor's timeline. I would even have probably liked her pretty much if she'd have stayed after that but became a "normal" companion. But now clearly I am in a Clara-is-the-centre-of-it-all Overdose.

And this is sad because not only it makes me dislike her but also it makes me rambling for 5 minutes about an episode that, I swear, I really liked. Less that last week's one (but then Heaven Sent was close to perfection for me) but still. I love episodes that are twisting The Big Mythology of the show, I love the hundreds of new things to explore that we have, I love the risks taken, I love that there still can be so much fresh air in a show that is so old. I love Twelve (and again, how brilliant is Capaldi). I love Ashildr. I love Gallifrey. I love that we keep killing Rassilon (he's like the Kenny of DW really Xd).

But I don't like this tendency of wanting to turn every new companion into a demi God, again and again and again. Please let the next one be a normal lad, and let him or her be perfect in his normality. Let him or her be us, that's what we need from a companion.

But then who cares as long as the sonic screwdrier is back  :cheer:

Edited by Melyssa
  • Like 1

Oh well apparently the internet has as much love than hate for this season finale ! (spoilers incoming about Hell bent)

Me I have to say that I did like it, actually. Very much. But my problem, for a change, is Clara. Or not really, it's not even her fault, Clara on her own is a nice girl, but... too many story arcs all about her, too, tooooo much of Clara being the thing that makes the world turning on in more cases not turning. You can't have so much about a character that is just here for a short period in a 50yo show, it can't work and we have now reach the point when so much as been done around her that everything is actualy begining to contradict the rest. And that Clara's personnality doesn't even make sense anymore.

And now I am torn between beeing sooo happy that Ashildr has her own TARDIS and with that the possibility to continue her story somewhere in the whoniverse and the fact that, oh sh*t, Clara is also aboard, can this TARDIS just blow up in space please? And it annoys me because I didn't care about Clara but it didn't mean I hated her. I don't want to hate her but they're doing their best for me to do so.

I would have loved Clara if her story has stopped after she sacrificed herself by jumping inside the Doctor's timeline. I would even have probably liked her pretty much if she'd have stayed after that but became a "normal" companion. But now clearly I am in a Clara-is-the-centre-of-it-all Overdose.

And this is sad because not only it makes me dislike her but also it makes me rambling for 5 minutes about an episode that, I swear, I really liked. Less that last week's one (but then Heaven Sent was close to perfection for me) but still. I love episodes that are twisting The Big Mythology of the show, I love the hundreds of new things to explore that we have, I love the risks taken, I love that there still can be so much fresh air in a show that is so old. I love Twelve (and again, how brilliant is Capaldi). I love Ashildr. I love Gallifrey. I love that we keep killing Rassilon (he's like the Kenny of DW really Xd).

But I don't like this tendency of wanting to turn every new companion into a demi God, again and again and again. Please let the next one be a normal lad, and let him or her be perfect in his normality. Let him or her be us, that's what we need from a companion.

But then who cares as long as the sonic screwdrier is back  :cheer:

I agree with you 100%! I wrote something similar on Tumblr, I wish Steven Moffat could start creating normal companions again, like Sarah Jane Smith. Because it's getting really old now that the companions have to become something massive to be part of the story arc. :P 

Also I liked how she left in Face the Raven, it was sad and emotional and I liked how she told the Doctor to move on in his mind palace. Why couldn't they have left it there? I'm sick of Moffat always resurrecting characters after their deaths, it's his specialty. It made Clara's death in Face the Raven kind of irrelevant and useless.   

• 2 weeks later...

Just caught-up with the Christmas special (so spoilers ahead,probably). It's a fun romp, not going too deep but allowing you to have a good time, like often on Christmas. I have to confess Christmas special never are my fave eps and this one won't be the exception but I love River so much that just having her back is a Christmas treat in itself. I admit I was close to share a tear when they finally reached Darilium (I definitely cried a few years ago in the minizode where Eleven is all dressed to take her in... )

But the truth is that Big Finish has just released his first River Song boxset yesterday and I am planning to listen to it today and THAT's my real Christmas present from the whoniverse, can't wait!!!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...