Don´t forget the F&M is also in his jacket. It´s ok to have promotors to pay the vid,but :aah:

Anyway, I totally agree with you. It looks cheap in a bad way. Cause GK was even cheaper and didn´t look like this... not sure if you understand what I mean...

yeah, i know what you mean. i don't think it looks cheap because of the fabric water or mika's acting (actually i quite like that, he manages to look like he's desperately trying to save the boat, and that's what it's supposed to be), - those things CAN look cheap, but they can also look artistic, and i think they do. but something like wrong lyrics or product placement has nothing artistic about it, and it ruins it all. :sad:

and you're right about the jacket, it's not such a close-up shoot as of the other writing, but first thing i was wondering when i started the video - why the heck is he wearing this ugly american football or baseball jacket, which doesn't fit at all to the rest of the video?! :aah: maybe that's why the merpeople steal it from him - and his bag of light too, mika has to be punished for wearing such a jacket in such a beautiful, painted, artistic environment! :sneaky2::lmfao:

• Replies 479
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

yeah, i know what you mean. i don't think it looks cheap because of the fabric water or mika's acting (actually i quite like that, he manages to look like he's desperately trying to save the boat, and that's what it's supposed to be), - those things CAN look cheap, but they can also look artistic, and i think they do. but something like wrong lyrics or product placement has nothing artistic about it, and it ruins it all. :sad:

and you're right about the jacket, it's not such a close-up shoot as of the other writing, but first thing i was wondering when i started the video - why the heck is he wearing this ugly american football or baseball jacket, which doesn't fit at all to the rest of the video?! :aah: maybe that's why the merpeople steal it from him - and his bag of light too, mika has to be punished for wearing such a jacket in such a beautiful, painted, artistic environment! :sneaky2::lmfao:

:lmfao:

This is what in Spanish we call "un cúmulo de despropósitos" but I´m not sure how to translate it... literally it´s "a pile of nonsense" but we don´t mean "nonsense" but something that even though its purpose is doing something good, it´s actually making things worse.

BTW, I realised too about the "my" "your" mistake, but I can´t see anything wrong when he says "bursting". Can you please explain it?

hm, not sure what i think of this video. i find it beautiful and disturbing at the same time, but i wouldn't be surprised if that was mika's intention. :naughty: what bothers me most is that it's on a fine line between artistic and trashy/cheap and unfortunately because of 2 little details the cheap part is taking over. :sad: first and foremost, like robi mentioned, the wrong words that mika sings. i hadn't noticed the "bursting" first, as i concentrated on other things in this image, but the "your" where the lyrics say "my" is just too obvious! :aah: the second thing that looks really cheap imo is the "franklin marshall" product placement at 00:43 - seriously, WTF?! :sneaky2:

but besides that, i also think the fabric being used as water is on purpose, to make it look "hand made", and the whole image of the boat, the fabric water and the painted sky look really artistic. it might just have been the cutting that ruined the video, but then i wonder, didn't mika see and have to give his ok to the final version before it got published? :dunno:

the other thing that personally disturbs me (but this probably doesn't hurt the public's view of the video, unlike the other things i mentioned) is that mika drowns in the end of the video - and they don't just steal his bag of light but also his jacket, wtf?! :sneaky2::naughty: nah really, it's a ballad, ok, but it's a love song with rather happy lyrics, compared to others of mika's songs, so why does the video have to turn that around and have such a sad ending?! :sneaky2: it's like the movie "the storm", i really really hate this movie because you watch for hours how they fight and fight and you hope at least some of them will make it, and then they all die. :aah:

so well, i definitely like the celebrate video more than this one, but it does have some beautiful scenes. and it's different, not what you normally see in music videos, so if that makes people have a closer look and then maybe decide they like the song, then it does what it's supposed to do.

I agree... The Fraklin Marshall product placement is really...cheap :'( And it's too obvisous and it 'cuts' the action... I also think the boat part is too long ! He shoul fall in the sea after 1'30" ! That'd be more balance :') 'Cause after the chorus, you expect him to fall off the boat but it DOES NOT HAPPEN ! :wait: You have wait 30 more seconds befor he falls in the 'sea' :fisch:

The scenes underwater ar really beautiful but I don't really understand why mermaids would steal him his bag of light... After watching it a few times, I figured out it was likely to symbolize his loved one's love but... I doubt "PEOPLE" would try to figure that out, they will watch, won't understand and move on to Bieber's latest crap :dunno:

I expected a LOT from this video and graphically speaking, even if his sea his a bit cheap, I like the effect... BUT it lasts TOO LONG ! It's beautiful but it really lacks rythm, as well as clarity. I wasn't expecting to see Mika making out with male mermaids underwater but well... I expected a better scenario :') The story is too short, there isn't enough material to dream about :'(

So... I have mixed feeling... I really love the idea, some parts are really stunning but the whole thing is... spoilt by bad editing, I think.

Should I add that seeing Mika drown was... quite moving ? :') *Ok, I may be fangurling here XD*

Edited by Kaito

:lmfao:

This is what in Spanish we call "un cúmulo de despropósitos" but I´m not sure how to translate it... literally it´s "a pile of nonsense" but we don´t mean "nonsense" but something that even though its purpose is doing something good, it´s actually making things worse.

BTW, I realised too about the "my" "your" mistake, but I can´t see anything wrong when he says "bursting". Can you please explain it?

it's when he's supposed to sing "flying", at the start of the 2nd verse, he sings "bursting" instead. i wouldn't have noticed that if it hadn't been posted here, it's not as obvious as the my/your thing.

Things like these are what make an amazing album disappear. Thank you to whoever decided it was the best idea... LOL

No, seriously... I loved the Celebrate vid... it was well done, sounded "realistic" and he looked gorgeous too, simply cause he is. But that fake... I´m not sure what he meant at all. And yes, he looks good, but come on... how is he going to look bad?? He would look good at any point of his life...

I don´t get it.

I'm starting to believe that's a big conspiracy against him,and that he's cursed to have only us as fans for the rest of his life and remain unknown for the rest of the world....Because yes,we know his potential,his brilliant talent and his amazing personality,but that's just not enough.This song is too good for this vid :aah: You don't need a huge budget for a genuine project,you just need a great idea and a good producer (look at Gotye's vid).

Ok,I've watched it three more times,still bursting on laugh when he's struggling with that tiny boat,he should have fall over the board sooner :aah:

it's when he's supposed to sing "flying", at the start of the 2nd verse, he sings "bursting" instead. i wouldn't have noticed that if it hadn't been posted here, it's not as obvious as the my/your thing.

Oh thanks!!

About the meaning... I think it´s clear that the lighting ball is Mika´s lover and then, when he needs him the most (to breathe), he is taken from him by a hot guy who likes to show his naked torso too much :mf_rosetinted: (in other words, his lover cheated on him and the poor Mika died :mf_rosetinted:). I agree with Kaito, I don´t think that random people would understand it at all :aah:

I'm starting to believe that's a big conspiracy against him,and that he's cursed to have only us as fans for the rest of his life and remain unknown for the rest of the world....Because yes,we know his potential,his brilliant talent and his amazing personality,but that's just not enough.This song is too good for this vid :aah: You don't need a huge budget for a genuine project,you just need a great idea and a good producer (look at Gotye's vid).

Ok,I've watched it three more times,still bursting on laugh when he's struggling with that tiny boat,he should have fall over the board sooner :aah:

I´m still not a big fan of this song. It´s a good one, yes, but not the best of the album, and in my opinion, not a single at all.

While he is struggling, he overacts TOO MUCH. The boat is barely moving and he seems he is almost dying :aah:

A simple vid like Celebrate would have done the trick better.

The scenes underwater ar really beautiful but I don't really understand why mermaids would still him his bag of light... After watching it a few times, I figred out it was likely to symbolize his loved one's love but... I doubt "PEOPLE" would try to figure that out, they will watch, won't understand and move on to Bieber's latest crap :dunno:

hm, i immediately understood that the bag of light symbolizes his loved one's love, because he caresses it so lovingly at the beginning of the song, when he starts singing to the lover directly "you are the port of my call", etc. ... and those merpeople steal his love from him, so he drowns. :sad: well, maybe a few people become curious when they see bits & pieces of the video, and will try to figure it out. i remember the first few times i saw the video of a-ha's "take on me", which is one of my fave music videos of all times - i always just saw bits and pieces and never realized what a lovely romantic story it was, until i watched the whole thing because i became curious. :wink2:

I saw one time this video and my reaction was :boxed: What is it? :doh:

For some who see a reference to Gericault painting, sorry he never painted sea with blue :doh:

Seriously it is the worst Mika's video I ever seen :bored:

The quality of the video is bad and rotten the symbolism that he wanted to express. And seriously Mika is a really bad actor most of the time in this video :doh:

Edited by Sephira

I´m still not a big fan of this song. It´s a good one, yes, but not the best of the album, and in my opinion, not a single at all.

While he is struggling, he overacts TOO MUCH. The boat is barely moving and he seems he is almost dying :aah:

A simple vid like Celebrate would have done the trick better.

I know,I remember it took you 69 pages to like this song :mf_rosetinted: Well,I don't think is the best song on the album either,I'm still hoping for a proper single to be released :thumb_yello:

i agree, the video doesn't do the song justice... parts of it, yes, but not as a whole.

maybe he doesn't want to go on releasing albums and touring, but instead write for others or whatever else, but because we'd all cry and cling to his legs so he won't leave us, he destroys his career bit by bit so he has a good excuse to leave. :naughty:

(talking about conspiracy theories! :lmfao:)

he is taken from him by a hot guy who likes to show his naked torso too much :mf_rosetinted:

ok that's also a way to interpret it! :lmfao::naughty:

I've watched it and have some mixed feelings. I didn't like the part in the boat because it looked so fake. It would have worked for me if they'd used real water, or Computer generated water. There was no excuse for wafting blue sheets, with the technology we have today.

But I absolutely love the underwater part. It was brilliant and Mika is so gorgeous in the video.

My thought too Marilyn, about the fake-looking boat-rocking. I thought: why oh why is it recorded in a swimmingpool when they didn't use the actual water ??:blink:

I like the video. Mika looks great in it and I really love the way the music breaks in it, it really enhances the song, I think.

I've just realized what this song reminds me of. Coldplay. Not a specific song of theirs, but it has a Coldplay sound. It could easily be a Coldplay album track. I still think the chorus lacks punch though. All in all, the video helps sell the song, I think, which is good. :thumb_yello:

Yeah, you're right about the Coldplay remark. Coldplay uses the same colors and atmosphere.

Oh thanks!!

About the meaning... I think it´s clear that the lighting ball is Mika´s lover and then, when he needs him the most (to breathe), he is taken from him by a hot guy who likes to show his naked torso too much :mf_rosetinted: (in other words, his lover cheated on him and the poor Mika died :mf_rosetinted:). I agree with Kaito, I don´t think that random people would understand it at all :aah:

Oh, aha thanks for clearing that up. I don't know if I would have come up with that myself:doh:

Overall I quite like the vid (au contraire the vid of Celebrate, I thought that one was a bit shallow).

I wonder when we get to see the edition where Mika gets kissed by one of the male mermaids insteads of the female....:dunno:

hm, i immediately understood that the bag of light symbolizes his loved one's love, because he caresses it so lovingly at the beginning of the song, when he starts singing to the lover directly "you are the port of my call", etc. ... and those merpeople steal his love from him, so he drowns. :sad: well, maybe a few people become curious when they see bits & pieces of the video, and will try to figure it out. i remember the first few times i saw the video of a-ha's "take on me", which is one of my fave music videos of all times - i always just saw bits and pieces and never realized what a lovely romantic story it was, until i watched the whole thing because i became curious. :wink2:

I've seen thye vid a couple of times now and yeah, it's clearer now, it makes sense :thumb_yello: That F&M placement distracted me sooo much at first, I struggled to get back to the story of the video... but now, I barely look at it xD µ

I really love the scenes underwater :wub2: Once again... It would have been perfect if he could have found something else than the boat scene from 2'30" to 3' xD

I hope people will get curious :) I'll show it to my family this week-end to know what they think of it ;) *artistic family* They'll be more neutral than we are xD *Quite sure my mother won't understand a thing about this "bag of light" X'D *

Ok so.... Is this seriously for what Ive been waiting for?! I mean it isnt horrible it is kinda good but its just under my expectations :shocked: Mika being so excited for this one made me beleive it was going to be incredible! The song is great tho but rhe video is too fake, however ilike the underwater part, the rest is just a little boring WHAT ARE YOU TRYING TO DO HERE MIKA?! :doh:

Oh thanks!!

Well yes, you can explain it like that :lmfao: I didn't see the ending too sad, really, first I thought he is just drowning the feeling of love (that it's too powerful) and thought he is being melodramatic again, as usual :teehee: (but after watching it again I realized what happened to the bag/light, of course).

Mellody, did you have a link to the Video, because on german Youtube it´s blocked like always.

for you and the other germans: use the link to the YT video (

) and enter it here to download it: http://www.share-tube.eu/ ... looks like i was fast enough, still got to watch the vid on YT before they blocked it. :teehee:

I agree.It looks a little bit ridiculous to me,I was expecting for something big for this song,a breathtaking video that would have caught people's attention all over the world.The underwater part it's really good,but the rest.....:aah: And I think that boat is too small for him :teehee:

I agree - I was trying to watch it through the eyes of others.....not my biased ones....and I thought that the second half was very interesting but the first half - for people who are not content to just look at Mika for the sake of it - it is too long and doesn't have enough interest.

I'm afraid budgets nowadays are quite low :sad:

I remember at the Amsterdam gig which was straight after he had recorded it he said something about how expensive it had been.

He looks gorgeous,and beautiful,and stunning in every second of his life,but that's not the point here.Just imagine what random people will think seeing this vid,.

Quite.

I like the video. Mika looks great in it and I really love the way the music breaks in it, it really enhances the song, I think.

I am not sure about the break. Can't decide.

i agree, the video doesn't do the song justice... parts of it, yes, but not as a whole.

maybe he doesn't want to go on releasing albums and touring, but instead write for others or whatever else, but because we'd all cry and cling to his legs so he won't leave us, he destroys his career bit by bit so he has a good excuse to leave. :naughty:

(talking about conspiracy theories! :lmfao:)

:lmfao: That's a fair explanation! :lmfao: and a brilliant plan,it may work eventually :aah::mf_rosetinted:

I think like several of Mika's videos, this all falls apart in the editing. I don't think this is exceptionally cheap, I think the water was chosen for artistic reasons, I don't think Mika's acting needs to be better exactly. The problem comes when it is not edited properly.

As was pointed out the boat scene goes on way too long. The long shots of him in the boat look silly, like he's in a bathtub or something. The shots of him struggling with the rope could have been cut to make it dramatic and chaotic so you don't need Mika to express the struggle so much in his acting.

This was the same problem with Blame It On The Girls. I don't think it's cute when he looks awkward in a video (unless that is the point like it's a comedy or he's portraying someone who is shy or geeky). It's just awkward and since it could be fixed so easily during the editing process it just makes it look like a bad effort.

Anyway there is no conspiracy here. I bet he loves it and it's pretty obvious he doesn't like the slick and beautiful Celebrate. This is just Mika I guess and I suppose you could argue that that in itself is cute since we all accept his unusual approach to things as part of his charm and appeal. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't but it's all Mika. :naughty: