i agree, the video doesn't do the song justice... parts of it, yes, but not as a whole.

maybe he doesn't want to go on releasing albums and touring, but instead write for others or whatever else, but because we'd all cry and cling to his legs so he won't leave us, he destroys his career bit by bit so he has a good excuse to leave. :naughty:

(talking about conspiracy theories! :lmfao:)

a new branch in knowledge: mikasciencefiction! :naughty:

• Replies 479
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

After watching it a few times, I can say that the video is as addictive as his songs :D

and that he looks handsome and hot no matter what.. even in a shipwreck :naughty:

That said, I love the video, it's like entering an old painting, a magic world where anything can happen, it's artistic, picturesque and relaxing

I don't like the bad lip-sync and the ad

But as I'm biased, I wonder how the public will react

I don't mind too much the sad ending, but I don't get why he had to turn a beautiful and positive song into something negative :blink:

maybe to prove, that he really can't live without his love?

Anyway there is no conspiracy here. I bet he loves it and it's pretty obvious he doesn't like the slick and beautiful Celebrate. This is just Mika I guess and I suppose you could argue that that in itself is cute since we all accept his unusual approach to things as part of his charm and appeal. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't but it's all Mika. :naughty:

Personally I prefer this UW video over the Celebrate video in every way. The Celebrate one is simply too polished for my taste. It looks really good and professional and everything but the new one is much more Mika, imo. Probably the Celebrate style sells more records though. I still think Origin Of Love clip is the best film ever made to his music, I've watched only GK video more than that one.

I think that only someone with the painting skills that you have could realise of those details. The vid is made for the people in general, and for what I see... people is not loving it that much. Also it has nothing to do with the rest of vids Mika did before, so I´m not thinking that this is what Mika exclusively demanded, cause it´s not "Mika-ish" at all.

With this vid I have the same feeling as with the video that the south american guy, Cristian... sorry I forgot the surname, did. I didn´t like it AT ALL. It didn´t remind me of Mika, of the idea of Mika I had. And it happens the same with this one. I can see similarities among HE, BIOTG and WAG vids. But this one, has nothing to do with those. After Celebrate (that looked a bit like Rain but in a more professinal way IMO) I thought he was finally going to make some...interesting videoclips.

Maybe he loves it, and perhaps, if he explains the meaning of the vid, I could interpret it differently. But now, I´ve just watched it once, and the feelings are:

- fake boat in a fake sea and Mika exaggerating his role A LOT.

- nice shoots underwater.

That´s all.

Uhu, I can understand where you're coming from. And why you don't like it that much.

And I don't think it's a particularly bad thing that this video gets so mixed reactions. After all the worst reaction is that nobody gives a damn. If anyone, also not Mika fans even get to the point as to think: hmm, yeah, this sucks, or no this isn't so good or could've been done like that or like that. That means they've given thought to it. So they actually care and expect things.

And after all, I seriously don't give a damn how the video clip looks like,I mostly just watch those once, and then just listen to the song, so it's still the song they have to like. And if they do, they won't mind the video is not to their taste. And if they don't like the song, I don't think any video can change that.

I think like several of Mika's videos, this all falls apart in the editing. I don't think this is exceptionally cheap, I think the water was chosen for artistic reasons, I don't think Mika's acting needs to be better exactly. The problem comes when it is not edited properly.

As was pointed out the boat scene goes on way too long. The long shots of him in the boat look silly, like he's in a bathtub or something. The shots of him struggling with the rope could have been cut to make it dramatic and chaotic so you don't need Mika to express the struggle so much in his acting.

This was the same problem with Blame It On The Girls. I don't think it's cute when he looks awkward in a video (unless that is the point like it's a comedy or he's portraying someone who is shy or geeky). It's just awkward and since it could be fixed so easily during the editing process it just makes it look like a bad effort.

Anyway there is no conspiracy here. I bet he loves it and it's pretty obvious he doesn't like the slick and beautiful Celebrate. This is just Mika I guess and I suppose you could argue that that in itself is cute since we all accept his unusual approach to things as part of his charm and appeal. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't but it's all Mika. :naughty:

Then people who were in charge for editing process are part of a huge conspiracy :mf_rosetinted:

I totally admire this vid! :bow:

It is so fresh and new, not mikaish, Mika is new and brilliant.

I like the theatrical atmosphere! These overplayed gestures belong not to the videos/cinema, but to the Theater, and Mika did his best (maybe in future he'll do something even better - possibilities are endless).

And I don't understand those comparisons with Celebrate. The songs are diametrically different, so the videos are different as well. I loved Celebrate and I love UW - in different ways.

So - my bows to Mika. It is amazing to discover new sides of him.

After watching it a few times, I can say that the video is as addictive as his songs :D

and that he looks handsome and hot no matter what.. even in a shipwreck :naughty:

That said, I love the video, it's like entering an old painting, a magic world where anything can happen, it's artistic, picturesque and relaxing

I don't like the bad lip-sync and the ad

But as I'm biased, I wonder how the public will react

I don't mind too much the sad ending, but I don't get why he had to turn a beautiful and positive song into something negative :blink:

Beautifully said, Marina! Especially about painting! It is so dreamy and besides limits of the reality.

I, personally, don't care about public reaction, I don't expect anything super-positive. I adore this video!!! It means a lot, and that's the importance!

But for Mika the reaction is, of course, important, and I hope (I'm even sure) that the positive reaction of many of his fans will find the way to Mika, I mean he will be informed that many of us love his work.

Uhu, I can understand where you're coming from. And why you don't like it that much.

And I don't think it's a particularly bad thing that this video gets so mixed reactions. After all the worst reaction is that nobody gives a damn. If anyone, also not Mika fans even get to the point as to think: hmm, yeah, this sucks, or no this isn't so good or could've been done like that or like that. That means they've given thought to it. So they actually care and expect things.

And after all, I seriously don't give a damn how the video clip looks like,I mostly just watch those once, and then just listen to the song, so it's still the song they have to like. And if they do, they won't mind the video is not to their taste. And if they don't like the song, I don't think any video can change that.

As it´s been said here before, I needed 69 pages to start liking the song. Now this vid ruined it all :mf_rosetinted:

Nah, to be honest, after the initial shock (I needed cpr, trust me) now I think it´s not that bad. If I think of all those people in their houses watching random vids just because and then suddenly Mika appears in their screens, looking like a giant in a tiny boat, struggling with the mast for no apparent reason, maybe they just stay there, watching at it cause it´s different. Then end of the video is quite cool, with those mermaids and Mika breathing underwater and stuff...

Who knows.

But what can´t be allowed at all, is the fact that it´s not well synchronized. It sucks. And makes Mika look like the less professional musician ever. And that´s the worst, cause we know how professional he is...

Beautifully said, Marina! Especially about painting! It is so dreamy and besides limits of the reality.

I, personally, don't care about public reaction, I don't expect anything super-positive. I adore this video!!! It means a lot, and that's the importance!

But for Mika the reaction is, of course, important, and I hope (I'm even sure) that the positive reaction of many of his fans will find the way to Mika, I mean he will be informed that many of us love his work.

But it´s usually happening always. Some love this song, some love that song... He has more than 300.000 followers on twitter, so it´s almost impossible that no one likes the video. But this vid is not made to be liked by 25% of the people watching it... It´s make to promote a single. And when people here, like me (and many more, but I don´t want to talk for others), who has spent a lot of money going to his gigs, buying his albums, merchandising and stuff are saying that something´s looks at least odd in this vid, maybe it´s cause something is not as great as expected.

I do care about the public reaction, cause this vid is not something that Mika did just to treat his fanbase (in that case I´d be very pleased by the close shots), but to reach all people out there who still didn´t buy his album.

I can´t wait for the media reactions to this vid.

I love it :wub2:

I needed a deep breathe of fresh air just now and Mika gave it to me :wub2:

It's a beautiful vid and Mika is gorgeous :fangurl: and the vid suits the song well

I love the waves and Mika as a pirat :wink2:

Thank you Mika you saved me once again :bow:

I just lost my dad and Mika helps me a lot as always.

Well, I'm not going to overanalyze this video. My initial reaction to it, having watched it just twice? I absolutely love it. Are there a few things I would have done differently? Yes. But it's done, and Mika's not going to re-shoot it, so... it is what it is. I can appreciate it for what it is. I can watch it and FEEL it and feel the song, which I love so so much. :wub2:

Does it sell the song? I think so. Does it sell MIKA? In my opinion, oh yeah. And that's what it was made for. It wasn't made to watch over and over a hundred times, examining every millisecond of it, analyzing it into oblivion. It was just made to catch people's attention and get them to listen to the song, and I think it does that very well. :dunno:

I thought that was exactly the point. The light = the love, and without it, he dies. :sad:

But it´s usually happening always. Some love this song, some love that song... He has more than 300.000 followers on twitter, so it´s almost impossible that no one likes the video. But this vid is not made to be liked by 25% of the people watching it... It´s make to promote a single. And when people here, like me (and many more, but I don´t want to talk for others), who has spent a lot of money going to his gigs, buying his albums, merchandising and stuff are saying that something´s looks at least odd in this vid, maybe it´s cause something is not as great as expected.

I do care about the public reaction, cause this vid is not something that Mika did just to treat his fanbase (in that case I´d be very pleased by the close shots), but to reach all people out there who still didn´t buy his album.

I can´t wait for the media reactions to this vid.

I agree that public reaction and selling the album is very important.

But no less important is to express himself. I don't think he created this vid thinking: Oh, will the people notice this moment? Oh, will they remember me and rush to buy my record? (though, maybe he did, a bit :naughty::naughty: ) I suppose, he wanted to create something beautiful to satisfy not only fans, but himself as well, he needed to express his inner images that he cherished for many years, and finally he's got a possibility to bring them to life, being more independent.

Celebrate is more aimed to the public, and UW is aimed at kinda sophisticated people who will perceive his ideas.

Of course I remember your uneasy relationship with the song, so no wonder that you don't like the vid :huglove:

About the meaning... I think it´s clear that the lighting ball is Mika´s lover and then, when he needs him the most (to breathe), he is taken from him by a hot guy who likes to show his naked torso too much :mf_rosetinted: (in other words, his lover cheated on him and the poor Mika died :mf_rosetinted:). I agree with Kaito, I don´t think that random people would understand it at all :aah:

That's the way I understood the video also. He was on the boat trying to protect his love from the "storms of this life" but when he needed his love most of all, when he actually needed him "to breathe", his love was stolen from him by someone else and the loss of love destroyed him.

I thought the video was beautiful in an artistic sort of way. About the product placement...there was also product placement in Rain but it didn't ruin that video for me. I love that one as well.

I agree that public reaction and selling the album is very important.

But no less important is to express himself. I don't think he created this vid thinking: Oh, will the people notice this moment? Oh, will they remember me and rush to buy my record? (though, maybe he did, a bit :naughty::naughty: ) I suppose, he wanted to create something beautiful to satisfy not only fans, but himself as well, he needed to express his inner images that he cherished for many years, and finally he's got a possibility to bring them to life, being more independent.

Celebrate is more aimed to the public, and UW is aimed at kinda sophisticated people who will perceive his ideas.

Of course I remember your uneasy relationship with the song, so no wonder that you don't like the vid :huglove:

Damn :mf_rosetinted:

At this point of my life I was supposed to be sophisticated enough as to understand a vid. Clearly I´m not :aah:

Yeah, I still skip this song when it pops up, I FFW it. But today I listened to it (before knowing the vid was already out) cause I´ve realised that my gig is in two days and I don´t know the lyrics :aah:

Damn :mf_rosetinted:

At this point of my life I was supposed to be sophisticated enough as to understand a vid. Clearly I´m not :aah:

Yeah, I still skip this song when it pops up, I FFW it. But today I listened to it (before knowing the vid was already out) cause I´ve realised that my gig is in two days and I don´t know the lyrics :aah:

Oh, dear Rosita, it wasn't my intention to get you :hug:

I thought that was exactly the point. The light = the love, and without it, he dies. :sad:

That's how I see it too, but I don't see it as a sad thing, I think it's only his emotional way to explain how much he needs someone/love :wub2: And it fits the song well.

what a nice thing to wake up to!! a new vid!:wub2:

First thoughts - very artsy, I was undecided as to the use of the silk waves but just went with it eventually...then he did a signature dance move whilst fighting for control of the boat and i was like :blink::aah:..the struggling with the boat went on too long and then BAM he was in the water and me being poised to not like the vid changed to instant love! :wub2: At the end I literally shouted out I wanted more :aah:

By the end of I watched 3 more times kinda glazing over the first half but totally enjoying the second...everyone else on YT seemed to think it was a great vid thus far too...which surprised me because of the dodgy opening but hey whatever works!!

Can't wait to see what the media thinks and what this vid does for the song..

And I don't understand those comparisons with Celebrate. The songs are diametrically different, so the videos are different as well. I loved Celebrate and I love UW - in different ways.

Because the Celebrate video is well produced technically and this one is not so much. I'm not talking about the songs or the theme. I think WAG is the best video by far technically so that's sort of the gold standard by which I compare all of Mika's videos.

I just lost my dad and Mika helps me a lot as always.

I'm sorry about your dad Anne. :sad::huglove:

It wasn't made to watch over and over a hundred times, examining every millisecond of it, analyzing it into oblivion.

But don't you think someone should watch over every millisecond to ensure that it's properly synched, etc? I mean I only had to watch this once to see all the flaws. Normally awkward makes me cringe but this is so silly it actually made me laugh. This song is very moving and passionate and the video is so ridiculous it made me laugh so it's really not doing a good job of selling the song IMO. :aah: i mean if it wasn't saved at the end with the water scenes and was another minute of the absurd boat scenes I could imagine this video going viral. And not for good reasons. :mf_rosetinted:

Anyway I give up. For every great video he makes he's going to make half a dozen I find awful so I am immune to it now. :naughty:

Okay this is going way out there but did anyone notice how the mast of the boat is a cross? The bag of light is on one side and the cross (religion) is on the other and he is trapped in between on a too-small boat. All he wants is to be away from it all and be alone with his love. Maybe the storm represents his struggles in regards to religion and how he was raised. He struggles with the mast during the storm representing his struggles trying to understand. He finally falls overboard (or jumps overboard) to actually try to save himself and his love. He is in under his head with his love and all these people (mer-people) come up and want things from him. That is why they are taking his clothes. Everyone wants something from him and eventually his love is taken from him as well.

Too deep...? :)

Because the Celebrate video is well produced technically and this one is not so much. I'm not talking about the songs or the theme. I think WAG is the best video by far technically so that's sort of the gold standard by which I compare all of Mika's videos.

WAG video is one of my least fav Mika videos so I guess I don't appreciate or care about technical finishing that much :dunno: I'm more interested in colors/atmosphere/story etc.

Okay this is going way out there but did anyone notice how the mast of the boat is a cross? The bag of light is on one side and the cross (religion) is on the other and he is trapped in between on a too-small boat. All he wants is to be away from it all and be alone with his love. Maybe the storm represents his struggles in regards to religion and how he was raised. He struggles with the mast during the storm representing his struggles trying to understand. He finally falls overboard (or jumps overboard) to actually try to save himself and his love. He is in under his head with his love and all these people (mer-people) come up and want things from him. That is why they are taking his clothes. Everyone wants something from him and eventually his love is taken from him as well.

Too deep...? :)

Awww, THAT sounds sad. But for me Underwater is a positive song (about how strong love can be) and I try to keep it that way in my own thoughts.

WAG video is one of my least fav Mika videos so I guess I don't appreciate or care about technical finishing that much :dunno: I'm more interested in colors/atmosphere/story etc.

I think the colours in WAG are spectacular. Everything is so bright and crisp it almost looks three dimensional.

I don't mind the colours in this though.

I didn't expect this video to make me laugh out loud, but it did for some reason :blink: Maybe because Mika's overdramatic acting in such a DIY environment made it look really silly, I don't know.

I like the video though, eventhough it could've turned out a billion times better but I don't expect much from Mika's music videos nowadays.

Edited by LaraMay