• Replies 479
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

But don't you think someone should watch over every millisecond to ensure that it's properly synched, etc? I mean I only had to watch this once to see all the flaws.

agree with this point. the bits that disturb me (i.e. the wrong syncing and the product placement) i noticed when i watched it for the first time, and it was that what stopped me from fully enjoying it. but now i notice that i somehow can't stop watching the video, maybe because i'm so hooked to the song, or maybe it is the images, i can't tell... but the more often i watch it, the less i notice the flaws and the more i just get caught up in it, and definitely also in the images and the story. all i have to do is stop thinking and just FEEL it. i love the painted sky and the silk waves and i can feel the drama and his struggle to keep the boat going. so while i wasn't sure first whether i'd find the video artistic or ridiculous (like i said, it's on a fine line) and feared it would turn towards the latter because of the product placement and wrong syncing, i'm surprised and happy now that the opposite is the case. :thumb_yello: i just hope the general public can see it that way as well. :fisch:

Okay this is going way out there but did anyone notice how the mast of the boat is a cross? The bag of light is on one side and the cross (religion) is on the other and he is trapped in between on a too-small boat. All he wants is to be away from it all and be alone with his love. Maybe the storm represents his struggles in regards to religion and how he was raised. He struggles with the mast during the storm representing his struggles trying to understand. He finally falls overboard (or jumps overboard) to actually try to save himself and his love. He is in under his head with his love and all these people (mer-people) come up and want things from him. That is why they are taking his clothes. Everyone wants something from him and eventually his love is taken from him as well.

Too deep...? :)

probably, but somehow i like your interpretation. :thumb_yello:

Also, the ending bugs me 'cause it cuts too early. He should've been tied up, then sloooowly sunk down to the bottom of the ocean, disturbing pause of him laying there, fade out.

Another thing that irritates me are the underwater people. They look even sillier than Mika in this vid. And why do they need to steal his "breathe underwater light" if they're already able to breathe underwater?

No way of knowing if that was the intention but I think it fits.

but now i notice that i somehow can't stop watching the video, maybe because i'm so hooked to the song, or maybe it is the images, i can't tell...

Well I do enjoy it and I've watched it a few times but for me it's because it's craptastic, as Kata predicted. It's never going to accurately reflect the sentiment of the song for me. And actually I think any story is superfluous to the sentiment of the music. I really prefer videos like GK that don't even have a story. We already have our own imagination and emotions tied to this music. I don't need a story attempting to override that.

Okay this is going way out there but did anyone notice how the mast of the boat is a cross? The bag of light is on one side and the cross (religion) is on the other and he is trapped in between on a too-small boat. All he wants is to be away from it all and be alone with his love. Maybe the storm represents his struggles in regards to religion and how he was raised. He struggles with the mast during the storm representing his struggles trying to understand. He finally falls overboard (or jumps overboard) to actually try to save himself and his love. He is in under his head with his love and all these people (mer-people) come up and want things from him. That is why they are taking his clothes. Everyone wants something from him and eventually his love is taken from him as well.

Maybe.... But like mellody, I like this interpretation... :)

Also, the ending bugs me 'cause it cuts too early. He should've been tied up, then sloooowly sunk down to the bottom of the ocean, disturbing pause of him laying there, fade out.

Another thing that irritates me are the underwater people. They look even sillier than Mika in this vid. And why do they need to steal his "breathe underwater light" if they're already able to breathe underwater?

Well I think, as far as the interpretation goes, the way random folks would see it, the bag of light is Mika's treasure. It could represent love, and probably does, for MikaFreaks, but for the ppl who are not so familiar with Mika as we are, it could just represent light, or something else valuable.

So even though the merpeople can breathe underwater, they want that love, or that light, whatever the object represents. They are jealous that Mika has it, and are willing to pretend to love him in order to steal it. So Mika begins to trust these people and isn't holding on hard enough to his lifeline, as he was before, so they take it from him and he dies.

Having watched it again, I think the uw sequence does save the video, and after that, watching it again, knowing more of what to expect, I think you do see the contrast between the "Fake" above water scenes, and the "Real" Underwater world.

Maybe that was what Mika was trying to convey, that the world above the water isn't a real place anymore. Because he is, at heart, an artist, I imagine that was his idea. But whether the public will latch on to it, I can't predict really. We'll have to see.

I still say, if the water had looked more real, the boat scenes would have been better, and I also agree with others, that he should have fallen overboard at the first chorus.

Well I think, as far as the interpretation goes, the way random folks would see it, the bag of light is Mika's treasure. It could represent love, and probably does, for MikaFreaks, but for the ppl who are not so familiar with Mika as we are, it could just represent light, or something else valuable.

So even though the merpeople can breathe underwater, they want that love, or that light, whatever the object represents. They are jealous that Mika has it, and are willing to pretend to love him in order to steal it. So Mika begins to trust these people and isn't holding on hard enough to his lifeline, as he was before, so they take it from him and he dies.

Having watched it again, I think the uw sequence does save the video, and after that, watching it again, knowing more of what to expect, I think you do see the contrast between the "Fake" above water scenes, and the "Real" Underwater world.

Maybe that was what Mika was trying to convey, that the world above the water isn't a real place anymore. Because he is, at heart, an artist, I imagine that was his idea. But whether the public will latch on to it, I can't predict really. We'll have to see.

I still say, if the water had looked more real, the boat scenes would have been better, and I also agree with others, that he should have fallen overboard at the first chorus.

Wow I so like this interpretation.... :shocked:

Sadly if we (hard-core fans) needed to watched it several times, the people out there won´t get it in their entire lives :aah:

But if it was Mika´s intention, then it explains a lot.

Marilyn this is amazing interpretation !!! Just fantastic . You are genius. I wish Mika could read this.

Still the question is: what`s in the bag? Love? Maybe - his real life. (or, as my boyfriend suggested - The Holy Grail:blush-anim-cl:)

I agree! This is the way I saw it too :thumb_yello:

Wow I so like this interpretation.... :shocked:

Sadly if we (hard-core fans) needed to watched it several times, the people out there won´t get it in their entire lives :aah:

But if it was Mika´s intention, then it explains a lot.

I got my version of the interpretation quickly. It was really just the boat-on-the-fabric-sea that I didn't get. Then I thought about the fake above, being what it was meant to be, and the real below being what it was meant to be. It occured to me then that it was probably intentional. But how non hardcore fans will react, is unclear atm. I just hope they will react okay.

Edited by Marilyn Mastin

Not too deep I came to the same conclusion. :wink2: I love this interpretation of the song that I think is one of his best. I'm glad I'm not the only one. :thumb_yello:

That's how I see it too, but I don't see it as a sad thing, I think it's only his emotional way to explain how much he needs someone/love :wub2: And it fits the song well.
yes, in fact that's the feeling I get, and the end doesn't make me sad

The video seems to be full of theatrical gestures - but it`s ok!

This brings required balance and harmony: the song is so lyrical, so moving. Thus the visual implementation should be more theatrical, forced and even affected.

That`s how I see it ( sorry if I repeat someone`s thought that I haven`t noticed in the thread :blush-anim-cl:)

About the meaning... I think it´s clear that the lighting ball is Mika´s lover and then, when he needs him the most (to breathe), he is taken from him by a hot guy who likes to show his naked torso too much :mf_rosetinted: (in other words, his lover cheated on him and the poor Mika died :mf_rosetinted:). I agree with Kaito, I don´t think that random people would understand it at all :aah:

Your interpretation of the video is fun. I like it. :thumb_yello:

I thought the video was very pretty. The under water sequence must have been difficult to film and the result is looking cool. I like it. :mf_rosetinted:

Having watched it again, I think the uw sequence does save the video

I agree. The underwater sequence is good, and I love your interpretation of it. :thumb_yello:

hmm, i wonder where mika is coming from in this video... like, is he a pirate but just in a tiny boat because he had similar problems like jack sparrow (i remember the scene where jack arrives in a tiny sinking boat :naughty:) or - and that was my first impression when i saw the pictures - is he shipwrecked, maybe he was stranded on an island and built the tiny boat himself, took all the necessary stuff with him (the candles were probably so he could make a fire to warm him :mf_rosetinted::teehee:)... anyway that would explain why he only has such a tiny boat. :teehee:

it's even sadder that way though - he lost almost everything in the shipwreck, except his treasured love, and in the end even that is taken away from him :sad:

or if he's a pirate, maybe he stole the bag of light himself... :teehee: but there's nothing in the video that hints in this direction, so i vote for the shipwreck.

another interpretation, maybe he lost his beloved one in the shipwreck and has only the love in his heart left, or maybe the hope that his lover is still alive somewhere, and then that is taken away from him? :dunno:

Ok @mikasounds fans!! I can now release my illegal behind the scenes video clips from the #Mika #Underwater music video..here they go..

Maxi ‏@maximaximaxi

@mikasounds kept catching me shooting behind the scenes videos of him...(VIDEO) http://yfrog.us/m9ribnrqomfkrhqknusfznqnz

http://twitter.yfrog.com/m9ribnrqomfkrhqknusfznqnz

Ok @mikasounds fans!! I can now release my illegal behind the scenes video clips from the #Mika #Underwater music video..here they go..

Maxi ‏@maximaximaxi

@mikasounds kept catching me shooting behind the scenes videos of him...(VIDEO) http://yfrog.us/m9ribnrqomfkrhqknusfznqnz

http://twitter.yfrog.com/m9ribnrqomfkrhqknusfznqnz

i see it, but it's just a tiny clip of 6 seconds where you can see mika in the boat from a few metres away, and he says 1 or 2 words that i can't understand. nothing spectacular. :dunno: t4p anyway. :wink2:

i see it, but it's just a tiny clip of 6 seconds where you can see mika in the boat from a few metres away, and he says 1 or 2 words that i can't understand. nothing spectacular. :dunno: t4p anyway. :wink2:

Other : http://twitter.yfrog.com/j8cgjjlfjgopcmauprfhmsptz

This person was the makeup artist in this video.

He is up more videos.

Mika seems a bit boring ...

Let's see if they put funniest videos...