I've watched the video twice now and it's hard to explain what I think about it.

It clearly didn't win me over; but at the same time it's not a disaster either. I wasn't expecting too much of the video for several reasons : I'm not a big fan of previous videos, I love the song UW too much I knew it would be hard for the video to please me as much as the song, and I didn't particularly like the pictures posted here in this thread or the one by Mika on Twitter.

I'm not shocked by Mika's acting or the problem with lip synching (which I hadn't even noticed the first time and probably wouldn't have the second time if I hadn't been reading MFC in between :teehee:). I'm not annoyed by the use of fake water either, I think it's one of the most 'Mikaish' things in there. I think it's just the whole idea and setting that looks a bit too cheesy to me (I hope it doesn't sound too harsh, I may not be using the right word) I agree with Mellody who says it's on a border line; there are moments I see it as quite artistic, poetic and nice (both on the boat and underwater) but 2 seconds later I find it cheesy and laughable :dunno:

It doesn't really matter to me because it doesn't change my admiration for Mika but I can only imagine the faces of some people I know when they watch this video :aah:

• Replies 479
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Other : http://twitter.yfrog.com/j8cgjjlfjgopcmauprfhmsptz

This person was the makeup artist in this video.

He is up more videos.

Mika seems a bit boring ...

Let's see if they put funniest videos...

this one i find the most interesting, it shows how the scene when mika falls out of the boat was filmed, this does look kinda funny. :teehee:http://t.co/muIVCWrD

just a shame that the videos are all turned around 90° so you have to turn your neck to the side! :sneaky2:

Wohoo ,we have the trailer of the sequel now!!

[YOUTUBE]zHR7wG1SLRM?&start=27[/YOUTUBE]

:aah:

Well, the scenography is very cool ,but the timing of the editing and mika's acting... tumblr_mcxhp15vjI1qdxpkd.gif

I don't see the chemistry between the rope and him ... LOL

Edited by yolanda

i knew i shouldn’t have came into this thread xD i was perfectly happy w the vid til i came here and everybody picked it apart :aah:

random thoughts while reading ppls comments because there’s waaay too much to quote. hope they make sense...

-i think the silk waves is an interesting stylistic interpretation. i like how he falls out of the boat and you think he'll just get tangled up in the fabric but instead he lands in the real water. If it was filmed in real water or CGI i bet ppl would complain just as much :rolleyes:

-i think his boat is purposefully so small to show how royally screwed his situation is xD The part when he’s struggling in the boat is that length prolly because it needed to be due to the timing of the song, so he lands in the water right during the pause in the music (love that bit btw). Also the underwater bit was prolly much more expensive & time-consuming to shoot.

-the sync errors are annoying but it’s not like Mika is the first person to commit such a sin, i’ve seen that in other videos before. If the director didn't shoot enough takes for those lyrics the editors had to work w/ what they got.

-in the water the underwater people look like ballerinas, its so graceful. What I didn't like that you can hardly see their makeup so they kinda just look like regular people.

-as for his acting, i think it's fine for what it is. this isnt a movie or tv episode or anything so i doubt he had much time to "find his motivation" and they prolly didnt do that many takes. people are nitpicking way too much xD

-i don't necessarily see the ending as sad, in my mind his lover gets the light back and swims up and saves Mika :D

So, yeah, I love the video. it def gets my :mikalove: of approval

Edited by kreacher

But don't you think someone should watch over every millisecond to ensure that it's properly synched, etc?

Yes, I would hope that someone had watched it carefully to make it as perfect as it could be. And I agree that whoever should have done that... didn't. It just reinforces our repeated observation that people Mika pays to do something don't seem to care about it to the extent that we do. No, I don't know why that is, or why it keeps happening. :dunno:

I mean I only had to watch this once to see all the flaws.

It's not that I don't see any flaws -- I do. But to me they are not so overwhelming that they prohibit me from enjoying the video as a whole. I can overlook them for those few fractions of a second that they are on the screen.

all i have to do is stop thinking and just FEEL it. i love the painted sky and the silk waves and i can feel the drama and his struggle to keep the boat going.

Yes, that's how I feel it, too. It works for me. :)

Son watched the vid and at the end this was his face :blink:

So, the vid makes no reaction on 6yo kids:mf_rosetinted:

Well, my husband -- who is still not the biggest Mika fan, even though I sense I'm wearing him down ;) -- watched the video and thought it was pretty cool. I use him as my "objective observer" since I know that I'm totally biased. :naughty:

hmm, i wonder where mika is coming from in this video... like, is he a pirate but just in a tiny boat because he had similar problems like jack sparrow (i remember the scene where jack arrives in a tiny sinking boat :naughty:) or - and that was my first impression when i saw the pictures - is he shipwrecked, maybe he was stranded on an island and built the tiny boat himself, took all the necessary stuff with him

I don't think there's anything to suggest that Mika's a pirate in this -- I think he's been shipwrecked, or forced to abandon a much bigger ship -- that's why he's in a small lifeboat with odds and ends that he was able to salvage. I also think you could look at it less literally, and think of it in terms of being figuratively "lost at sea," as one is at times in one's life. And the light is his lover's love, which has been keeping him alive, until he falls overboard -- perhaps due to some unexpected figurative "storm." The merpeople are distractions -- beautiful and mysterious -- so that Mika loosens his grip on the thing that is most precious to him, the thing that has been keeping him alive... Why do the merpeople want the light? Just because... that's what they do. To me they represent those things in our lives that cause us to lose our focus, and they have little disregard for what we care about. They're not doing it because they're evil, necessarily, but just because that's how they are.

Anyhow, that's how I see it. :blush-anim-cl:

But that's what I think is so beautiful about something like this -- it's open to interpretation, there's no right or wrong. Just as Christine said about the song itself -- it evokes emotions and feelings and images that are very personal to the individual viewer/listener, which is what art is all about anyway. :)

Uploading the HD version to Mediafire now, should be added to the first post in about thirty minutes. :thumb_yello: It should be viewed in the highest quality possible to be properly enjoyed I think.

It still makes me laugh though :aah: Am I the only one?

hmm, i wonder where mika is coming from in this video... like, is he a pirate but just in a tiny boat because he had similar problems like jack sparrow (i remember the scene where jack arrives in a tiny sinking boat :naughty:) or - and that was my first impression when i saw the pictures - is he shipwrecked, maybe he was stranded on an island and built the tiny boat himself, took all the necessary stuff with him (the candles were probably so he could make a fire to warm him :mf_rosetinted::teehee:)... anyway that would explain why he only has such a tiny boat. :teehee:

it's even sadder that way though - he lost almost everything in the shipwreck, except his treasured love, and in the end even that is taken away from him :sad:

or if he's a pirate, maybe he stole the bag of light himself... :teehee: but there's nothing in the video that hints in this direction, so i vote for the shipwreck.

another interpretation, maybe he lost his beloved one in the shipwreck and has only the love in his heart left, or maybe the hope that his lover is still alive somewhere, and then that is taken away from him? :dunno:

Personally I don't feel the need to rationalize the video, to me it's just symbolic: the sea represents life, the bag of light is his love® and the point is that he can't survive without it/him

everyone of us is alone on a boat in the middle of a stormy sea trying to survive the best he can and love (in any form) is what we really need; is life really worth living without?

Edited by mari62
grammar

What has he done to that naaahce coat??????

Andashe can live underwater why not to take a bath with proper soap???

You look filthy Mikkaaaaaa! :naughty:

And that fake satin sea?

You shouldhave come to the algarve to shoot the vid, hot water and no sharks...well, not at the sea shore least....:lmfao:

Lucky mermaids and "merman"/"merboys" who touch his butt a lot! :lmfao:

And doesn't one of the mermaids look like Imma????

But well done, mister,i lurrrv the video!

Uploading the HD version to Mediafire now, should be added to the first post in about thirty minutes. :thumb_yello: It should be viewed in the highest quality possible to be properly enjoyed I think.

No,you're not! :aah:

Your interpretation of the video is fun. I like it. :_yello:

I thought the video was very pretty. The under water sequence must have been difficult to film and the result is looking cool. I like it. ed:

All this woman posts is funny....:mf_rosetinted:

It must have been so difficult he got seasick,just look at his face before he falls down...

My issue is the candlesticks. Why would you have them? you have the bag of light

Candlesticks are the newblack in london, havent heard?:mf_rosetinted:

But unlightones,lighted ones are so out of date now...:mf_rosetinted:

They may symbolize another religious attributes....Candles in the church...

Did you notice - they are not burning ? They are silent, give no answers to Mika`s prayer.

Nah, it was a candle brand sponsoring the vid that forced him to use it....:mf_rosetinted:

Other :

Mika seems a bit boring ...

Let's see if they put funniest videos...

Mika??? Boring????? NEVAH!

YOU BAD BAD FAN!!!:mikacool:

What has he done to that naaahce coat??????

Andashe can live underwater why not to take a bath with proper soap???

You look filthy Mikkaaaaaa! :naughty:

And that fake satin sea?

You shouldhave come to the algarve to shoot the vid, hot water and no sharks...well, not at the sea shore least....:lmfao:

Lucky mermaids and "merman"/"merboys" who touch his butt a lot! :lmfao:

But well done, mister,i lurrrv the video!

YES! i thought this too xD

I don't think there's anything to suggest that Mika's a pirate in this -- I think he's been shipwrecked, or forced to abandon a much bigger ship -- that's why he's in a small lifeboat with odds and ends that he was able to salvage. I also think you could look at it less literally, and think of it in terms of being figuratively "lost at sea," as one is at times in one's life. And the light is his lover's love, which has been keeping him alive, until he falls overboard -- perhaps due to some unexpected figurative "storm." The merpeople are distractions -- beautiful and mysterious -- so that Mika loosens his grip on the thing that is most precious to him, the thing that has been keeping him alive... Why do the merpeople want the light? Just because... that's what they do. To me they represent those things in our lives that cause us to lose our focus, and they have little disregard for what we care about. They're not doing it because they're evil, necessarily, but just because that's how they are.

But that's what I think is so beautiful about something like this -- it's open to interpretation, there's no right or wrong. Just as Christine said about the song itself -- it evokes emotions and feelings and images that are very personal to the individual viewer/listener, which is what art is all about anyway. :)

oh yes, I totally agree about the bolded part :wub2:

aw and I love your interpretation of the mairpeople! I hadn't thought of anything yet

It's a good video, the last part in the water was the best because, at some point, I thought that the whole thing would have been above the water and it was sort of... not boring but I was waiting for some action let's say. Although, I love the fact that the water, on the first part, is fake and I think it's really well made. Anyways, it's a good video. It's in my top 5 :) .

Edit: Remember when Mika said about the Levis commercial? I don't know if someone stated that already but yes, he sort of tried to do the same.

And how do u say merman? merman or merboys or mer what?:mf_rosetinted:

merpeople i reckon. imma's long lost twin is def one of the merpeople

It's a good video, the last part in the water was the best because, at some point, I thought that the whole thing would have been above the water and it was sort of... not boring but I was waiting for some action let's say. Although, I love the fact that the water, on the first part, is fake and I think it's really well made. Anyways, it's a good video. It's in my top 5 :) .

Edit: Remember when Mika said about the Levis commercial? I don't know if someone stated that already but yes, he sort of tried to do the same.

oh that reminds of smth i wanted to say in regards to someone else's similar point- he's alone in a boat lost at sea, not a lot can happen, so what did ppl expect... rogue seagull? pirate attack? sea monster? :aah:

merpeople i reckon. imma's long lost twin is def one of the merpeople

oh that reminds of smth i wanted to say in regards to someone else's similar point- he's alone in a boat lost at sea, not a lot can happen, so what did ppl expect... rogue seagull? pirate attack? sea monster? :aah:

I thought the mermen and mermaid were going to jump above the sea or something :aah: But the man himself jumped instead, so yeah, there was some action at the end! :naughty: But I mean, it took a long before something happened.

-i think the silk waves is an interesting stylistic interpretation. i like how he falls out of the boat and you think he'll just get tangled up in the fabric but instead he lands in the real water. If it was filmed in real water or CGI i bet ppl would complain just as much :rolleyes:

Yes you are right about that! I don't think the fabric was a bad idea, just executed poorly.

Haven't you read any of my posts? :roftl:

And Deb I'm afraid one forfeits their "art card" as soon as they taint it with product placement. You can't have it both ways.

i love your interpretation, it fits so well to the real story of mika's love (as we know it from his interviews)! :wub2:

when i first watched the video i thought i saw jimmy among them - but there were just too many things to look at at the same time. :naughty:

My first thought: WHAT THE HELL IS THAT ??? :aah:

I was a little bit shocked by all the fake acting, Mika struggling when the boat is not moving at all?? The fake sea, the fake boat, male mermaids (mermen ???). And I didn't get the scenario behind.

Then I came here and started to read your comments. Thank to you, now I understand the story in the video. :fisch:

After 3 listenings, now I think it's a really wierd video, but not horrible, you need to get why they did this because if you don't get it then you'll think that it's not a good video.

In french we say "parlez-en en bien, parlez-en en mal, mais parlez-en". It means like "doesn't matter if it's good or bad, all I want is that it makes you talk about it". I think that's the point here. :teehee:

EDIT: I want to add that my favourite Mika video so far is We are golden and this video is faaaar behind it. I kinda like Celebrate's vid and Kick Ass's too. Always though that Rain was wierd but it's nothing after this video :teehee:

Edited by Alie

I was really happy, seeing the post of the video being released because I was looking forward to seeing this video. I've seen it twice so far and I must say, I like it a lot.

I find it an emotional video, his affection for the bag of light (his love), the desperation during the storm, the temptation from the merpeople to make sure he loses his attention from the thing he needs the most...

The ending is a bit sad, but I think he's just wanting to make clear that he (or everyone else for that matter) needs love, needs to know the feeling of love.

I also love the break in the music when he falls into the water, can't actually describe why, but it fits just fine, I think.

You can say it a kind of 'weird' video, but I still think it Mikaish and I like it.

Oh and by the way... I wouldn't have noticed the flaws in the lyrics if I hadn't read them here. So I'm not quite sure if someone who just watched the video once, would notice this flaws (like I missed them the first time I watched).

(But if they are very attentive, they would probably notice it anyway :teehee:)

My first thought: WHAT THE HELL IS THAT ??? :aah:

I was a little bit shocked by all the fake acting, Mika struggling when the boat is not moving at all?? The fake sea, the fake boat, male mermaids (mermen ???). And I didn't get the scenario behind.

Then I came here and started to read your comments. Thank to you, now I understand the story in the video. :fisch:

After 3 listenings, now I think it's a really wierd video, but not horrible, you need to get why they did this because if you don't get it then you'll think that it's not a good video.

:

Fake???

FAKE???

It's all real, didn't you hear the boy got a skin of a 200 yo old man to do this???:mf_rosetinted:

U Bad bad fan!:mikacool:

A fan who doesn't get a simple story like this at first doesn't deserve to be called a mikafan!

MODS:BAN HER!:mikacool::mikacool::mikacool:

:lmfao:

Edited by willywonka

Well, the scenography is very cool ,but the timing of the editing and mika's acting... tumblr_mcxhp15vjI1qdxpkd.gif

I don't see the chemistry between the rope and him ... LOL

Oh wow. :lmfao:

Anyway I agree with what you said. The idea is rather nice (with the fabric waves and all), I love the colour scheme... But Mika's acting and some of the details just made me LOL. The worst part for me was the bad editing when the mermaids and mermen came along and they zoomed in on them very quickly. It just looked tacky as ever. :lmfao:

I went quickly through this thread and some were worried about non-Mika fans not getting the idea of this video and thus not appreciating it. I know I'm a bit biased to say this as I know the story behind it but I really do believe that if you pay attention to the lyrics and what's happening in the video you get a hang of what it's supposed to be about. He fights against the others to keep the sack and once they rob it from him he drowns. Now that combined with "with your love I can breathe underwater"... :teehee:

I've actually only watched the video once so far so that's really all I can say about it now.

I L-O-V-E it! :wub2:

To me this is one of his best videos to date. I'm not a fan of the "Celebrate" video for example - But I am absolutely in love with this one. It is so beautiful and yet simple - True arts!

Loved reading everyone's interpretations and feelings.