2012 - Roundhouse, London, UK - 13 December: REPORTS/PICS/VIDS

guylainem123

:thumb_yello: yes,I understood,I just wanted to point it out for the people who said EMD is wel received only in French-speaking countries.

Oh thank you Kris :huglove::thumb_yello: It's not always easy to write some very constructive posts in another language :naughty: Sometimes, you think people misunderstood ! :teehee:

Oh thank you Kris :huglove::thumb_yello: It's not always easy to write some very constructive posts in another language :naughty: Sometimes, you think people misunderstood ! :teehee:

:huglove: Don't worry,Deb,it's my fault,it's quite hard for me to express my thoughts in English :doh:

I'm not one for writing reports but just wanted to say a few words about Thursday and the show.

I had an amazing time. Q'ing was great and relaxed. I love this time when I can meet everyone and chat a little with people I've only previously spoken to online. It's an important part of my Mika experience.

I loved the gig. Loved that he started the show with Soleil - one of my favourites. :wub2: I really don't see the problem with him singing a French song in England. But then, I'm not English. :wink2: When he was in Dublin for Arthur's Day he sang Elle Me Dit, don't think anyone there had a problem with that. He's a British artist who writes and sings in French also so I can't see the problem if he sings those songs at gigs in England.

His voice wasn't as strong as usual. Popular certainly didn't sound as good live. I thought he was in good form, he had a real sparkle in his eyes and I thought during the first few songs he looked so proud when everyone sang along so loudly.

Anyways, thanks to Mika and everyone I met who once again helped make it a special few days for me. Oh and a special thanks to Mr Wogan. :wink2:

I share your opinion. But I'm neither French nor English, either ;) And I don't get the message that the English audience doesn't matter. The message for me is more one of braveness and of being a "out of the box" and a many-sided artist.

And is it really such a big thing for Brits to hear songs in another language than English? Don't you have hits from outside from time to time? And when a song is good it is good. Why not play it even if it is in another language?

Maybe it's really because I'm not from the UK, but I just tried to image how I would feel if a German (singing) band would sing a French Song (or a Italian one or Spanish or whatever) - and I wouldn't felt any offence at all, I would just think "It's great, they look over the rim of a tea cup".

However, I agree that he should play more of the new songs. But that is a criticism of the whole tour, not especially for London.

I totally agree with the blue bold parts. I think songs from the TBYKTM have not been played enough either when the 2nd album was released.

I know many French people who don't understand songs in English but they like the melody, the voice, the rhythm and they seem to be happy with it :wink2:

Without wanting to offend anyone, I think that most are missing the point here :dunno: It's not about how any other nationality reacts to songs in English, but how the English people react to songs in another language, and especially in the case of them expecting him to do a show tailored to the English.

I think that Jemma (and Kasia too, but she is not English) explained it perfectly, and we should listen to how the locals see it.

What any other nationalities think (and I include myself in that, as I am Spanish, despite being here for 10 years now so I think I get the culture) or how they react to songs in a different language, is irrelevant, really.

It's the same in Spain: people find songs in English to be cool, exotic, glamourous, interesting, etc, but the reverse situation is not necessarily the same...

In any case, I definitely found that his mood was not great, and this is coming from someone who has seen many many MANY performances from him over the years, and have seen some pretty amazing ones.

- Anyway, someone talked about this song as not a good choice for an opening song, generally speaking and not for the UK gig, because it's too slow.

Well I don't agree. The French audience really apreciated him to start with this song. I spoke with non Mika fans after the Nantes gig, and a girl told me she was so surprised he could sing this kind of deep and moving song in French, only with piano and voice, which is different from the easy "Elle me dit".

He really amazed the French audience with "Un soleil mal luné" as an opening song, because it was audacious and wonderful. He won lot of "respect" and "credibility" for being an amazing singer, doing that. Even the press was impressed !

I think it's a really good choice in France as well. I saw the video the first night and it was stunning. It's much better than opening with Big Girl that's for sure. If I'm at the next Montreal gig I hope he does it. :crossed:

And about EMD,it seems that people all over the world are enjoying this song live,even in the US:
:wink2:

The people in the front rows are going to enjoy Mika dancing away and chanting the names in the telephone book aren't they? I was at 3 of these American gigs and there were only 2 people there who knew the lyrics - me and a girl from Montreal. Everyone else just sort of stands there watching him or waves their hands a little bit until the "danse" part comes on because it has the same meaning and close enough pronunciation to "dance" that they get it.

If you think they really have the same appreciation of EMD then you haven't been to Quebec where they scream so loud it hurts your ears or you haven't seen Americans go nuts during a performance of Love Today or WAG.

Also this version is the hybrid I was talking about earlier as he's singing some English verses of "She Tells Me" at the end.

What any other nationalities think (and I include myself in that, as I am Spanish, despite being here for 10 years now so I think I get the culture) or how they react to songs in a different language, is irrelevant, really.

That's MFC for you. Mika is always right, everyone else is always wrong. Forget about the fact that I have spent 45 years living in 3 different English speaking countries and that I know Americans so well that they may as well be Canadians and vice versa. Mika chose to sing these French songs in London so he must have made the right choice! :naughty:

Sariflor: Without wanting to offend anyone, I think that most are missing the point here It's not about how any other nationality reacts to songs in English, but how the English people react to songs in another language, and especially in the case of them expecting him to do a show tailored to the English.

I don't feel offended and I love discussing cultural aspects with people from everywhere. This forum is the perfect place for this.

But I understand the notion of show that should have been tailored for the English. We all know he had to win them back and that this gig was like a trial, like "it's a make-it-or-break-it situation".

But I understand the notion of show that should have been tailored for the English. We all know he had to win them back and that this gig was like a trial, like "it's a make-it-or-break-it situation".

I don't think an artist MUST tailor a show to the audience but when Mika does this everywhere else then why go the opposite route in London? IMO Overrated is a better song than Big Girl by a factor of 10. But Big Girl was a hit song so it stays in the set as a general audience pleaser. What is the point of leaving songs like Overrated off the set list and then adding a French ballad that no one has ever heard of and couldn't buy even if they wanted to? It's a risk with no potential payoff.

I would love to hear Overated or Kids live. With the last album tour he did loads of songs from it ( not all of them good) so I don't understand not including more from this album. It just doesn't make sense to me.

That's MFC for you. Mika is always right, everyone else is always wrong. Forget about the fact that I have spent 45 years living in 3 different English speaking countries and that I know Americans so well that they may as well be Canadians and vice versa. Mika chose to sing these French songs in London so he must have made the right choice! :naughty:

I know :naughty:, but it still frustrates me :doh:.I don't think that listening to an army of yes men did anyone ever any good, and everyone posting on MFC does so from the perspective of liking and supporting him as a fan, so I don't see why some people have to be so protective about him :dunno:

Sariflor: Without wanting to offend anyone, I think that most are missing the point here It's not about how any other nationality reacts to songs in English, but how the English people react to songs in another language, and especially in the case of them expecting him to do a show tailored to the English.

I don't feel offended and I love discussing cultural aspects with people from everywhere. This forum is the perfect place for this.

Thanks Muriel, I know you're cool, but sadly I have posted things that have often been taken the wrong way despite my good intention, so I now feel the need to put a disclaimer when I am going to make a point that some might find a little sharp, just to avoid the drama :wink2:

I don't think an artist MUST tailor a show to the audience but when Mika does this everywhere else then why go the opposite route in London? IMO Overrated is a better song than Big Girl by a factor of 10. But Big Girl was a hit song so it stays in the set as a general audience pleaser. What is the point of leaving songs like Overrated off the set list and then adding a French ballad that no one has ever heard of and couldn't buy even if they wanted to? It's a risk with no potential payoff.

I would love to hear Overated or Kids live. With the last album tour he did loads of songs from it ( not all of them good) so I don't understand not including more from this album. It just doesn't make sense to me.

Well, that is exactly how I feel about this. You'd think that doing more of the new songs would be a good thing, especially songs like TaDah, with its 80's and Whamish vibe, which I am sure would go down a storm and become a massive crowd pleaser.

If he wants to do slower ones, Kids and Heroes would be fantastic choices, and Step would also be great. I was very disappointed that he didn't do these songs, which I love on the album and was dying to hear live, but yet he is doing some French ballad and an easy cheesy EMD.

I don't hate EMD, and I like the slow French ones and love how his voice sounds on them, so am pleased to hear it, but not if it comes a the price of not getting to hear the new material!

Mika is an artist who always sounds 1000 times better live than on any album recording, so for me settling for the album versions of these songs because he doesn't want to do them live feels like getting lumbered with second best, and a disappointment.

I know :naughty:, but it still frustrates me :doh:.I don't think that listening to an army of yes men did anyone ever any good,

Indeed if he hadn't sung these songs there wouldn't be an article in the Evening Standard pointing out that he has prioritized France over the UK. It's there in black and white and it's not a case of hindsight is 20/20. We've been saying that French songs are going to label him as a French artist (and therefore further alienate him from English audiences) since EMD was released 18 months ago. I imagine his managers have been telling him the same given the comments he's made.

If he thinks this is another Grace Kelly moment where he can tell everyone to f-themselves if they don't like it I think it's silly. He's only cutting off his nose to spite his face.

i wrote my report yesterday but didn't get to post it til now as i didn't have internet in the hostel in manchester. but here it is (had only read the first few posts of this thread before i wrote it, so sorry if everything has been said already meanwhile)

so, i'm on the bus from london to manchester and writing my report. hope i can send it later from the hostel.:-)

queueing was basically relaxed and organised, i slept as long as i was able to, arrived at 11 and got number 20, which i was happy with. had expected worse. :teehee: we formed a real queue according to the numbers around 4pm, as that was when more and more people started arriving. before that, most of us sat in the café right next to the entrance, as it was far too cold outside! and i must admit the 3 hours from 4 until the doors opened at 7 seemed quite long in the cold. i'm glad though that i queued, that way i could hang out with my friends all day (mostly in the warm & cozy café ;-)), and it saved my a** in the end! i had to pick up my ticket at a counter, they were supposed to tick my name off a list and give me the ticket - and they didn't have the list yet when the doors opened! :aah: luckily they only opened the outer doors first... i think already at 6:30 - and the queue just moved inside, relatively organized (though i was on the toilet when that happened, so maybe someone who was there can say more about it?), and queued up in the same order at the inside door that led to the main space. i was downstairs, waiting for my ticket. 7pm and still no list... but i was lucky, the inside doors stayed closed until i had my ticket and was back in the queue - getting back there wasn't easy either as the security guards wouldn't let me in that area first and said i had to wait til the queue had moved a bit. i convinced them in the end (or better, i finally got to talk to the head of security, who was in charge of making such a decision - he let me in immediately! :bleh: i had the impression that he knew about the numbers...) and was able to join my friends again and get back in the queue where i had left it. :wub2: shortly after, the main space doors opened and i got to front row next to my friends, on the right side near the speakers. :thumb_yello: i do love the excitement before a gig, but i could have done with a little bit less excitement than yesterday, lol! :lmfao:

support was a dj duo of 2 girls, who first played some awful music that really got on my nerves, but it got better towards the end. and then, shortly before 9, the lights went off and the band came on stage. and then it started snowing!! :naughty: they had machines at the back of the stage that blew fake snow in the air (the plastic stuff of course, not the foam that mika put on his house and the whole block last year! ;-p), and it went quite far back in the crowd, falling down from above as if it was really snowing. it looked beautiful! :wub2: i gotta say it wasn't very practical though... the whole stage was covered in it, so i'm not sure if mika was able to dance like he is used to, or if it was slippery because of that plastic stuff... and seems like the smell of it tickled his throat, he once mentioned something along those lines - think he said "f*ing snow!". :naughty: but at the beginning he was like a little kid, playing with the fake snow, letting it fall down from his hand on the floor and on curtis. :teehee: ah, and the security guys had prepared plastic "glasses" with water for us, that stood at the barrier on their side... when they gave it to us later, of course there was fake snow in the water! :lmfao: i drank a whole glass as i was thirsty, and only when i got the 2nd one which i drank more slowly, i realized the snow was in there, haha! i suddenly felt it on my tongue and started spitting, that happened at the beginning of LYWID, and had miri and me laughing our a**es off - i hope mika didn't notice it, he would've thought we were mad! :naughty:

the setlist was basically the same as towards the end of the european tour - except that he had added myh, and that he sang une soleil as the first song - so far, i think he had only done that at the gigs in the french-speaking area. it surprised me that he chose that french song for london (though i think i heard one line in english? not sure...) - elle me dit, yes, he did that everyhwere, and it always went well. but une soleil was indeed a weird choice. i know that he loved the atmosphere that it had created in brussels where he had first performed it. 2 days later in vienna i was at the soundcheck (as i was in the choir), and him and the band wanted to try and re-create this atmosphere by starting with another slow song. they changed their minds a few times and in the end i think he started with gk at the piano. in vienna une soleil hadn't been an option, i don't know why it was now. maybe he thought it would be a nice christmassy atmosphere, together with the snow? :dunno: anyway, i knew in advance it'd be the first song because statue was able to see the setlist and tweeted about it. btw, hadn't mentioned yet that we had free wi-fi in the cafe and in the whole venue! really, every venue should have that! :wub2: or maybe better not, you could see who the internet addicts in the front row were, typing on their phones all the time before mika came on stage! *g* (me included :teehee:)

he hardly talked with the crowd, i had loved how chatty he was at the european gigs! but yesterday it sometimes seemed a bit hurried from one song to the next, without the talk in between. he talked before stardust, someone had thrown a green elves hat on stage, with a card, and obviously there was a 20p coin in there as well, it fell down and that was was mika talked about... in fact that was quite funny, got it on video. ;-) i also was a bit shocked how he threw away the elves hat in the end, seemed to me like he suddenly hated everything related to christmas, he said something about xmas, but i need to watch the video to remember what it was exactly. his humour generally seemed sharper than usual, that's why i said "bad mood" - later in the show he also said something about being "p*ssed the whole weekend", i didn't understand it exactly in the show, it was a general statement but i had the feeling it related to his mood. also gotta watch the video to hear again what it was that he said. and before myh, he asked if anybody was up for a waltz - and as he didn't really find volunteers in the crowd, he danced a waltz with max instead, lol! that bit was quite funny and cute! :wub2:

i also got quite some eye contact, so i can't really say what it was exactly... but let's just say, a gig like this wouldn't give me a PGD. something was missing. like it has been said on this thread before, it was a good gig, like of any good artist, technically there was absolutely nothing wrong. and i'm sure those who hadn't been to several of his gigs yet didn't even realize. but *i* know what it's usually like, this special mika feeling that makes you want to laugh and cry at the same time, stare in amazement and scream with joy, and that gives you a stupid grin on your face for the next few days. i know he still can do that, as it was there at the european gigs i went to. but yesterday it wasn't there. for whatever reason, i can only speculate. like i already did. :teehee:

and also the m+g after the show, it was really lovely of him to come out and meet us (and he brought melachi with him! :-)), but at *this* m+g in particular, i had the feeling he just did it because he thought it was expected of him and not because he wanted. the day before at the bbc thing i had quickly met him, and he stopped, he asked how are you, and you could feel he was up for a chat. yesterday he wasn't, he just wanted to get over with it quickly. anyway, he did talk a bit with several of the fans who were there, basically answering questions. i told him thank you for the day before and the gig, and he continued our conversation that we'd had in luxemburg, telling me that now i really should start saving money for my wedding - that had originally been the reason i had told him why i wasn't coming to london... that i had to save money for my wedding next year... in fact it was just one of several different reasons why i hadn't planned to go to london in the first place, but a m+g is too short to tell him the whole story, haha! :teehee: anyway, back to the m+g yesterday: i told him i was coming to manchester as well, which surprised him (re. the saving money thing i guess...) and so i explained the reason to him, that flights to manchester had been so much cheaper than to london, that i got 2 gigs for the price of one. ;-p - that made him laugh. :teehee:

telling this story now, i liked our little conversation... but yesterday, after m had left, all of us in our group were in a bad mood. again, not because of any special event, but just the general feeling in our group, hard to describe... anyway we took a cab back to our hotel at king's cross, for 10 pounds divided by 4 that was perfectly ok. :-) and today i'm definitely already in a much better mood! and looking forward to the manchester gig tonight. :biggrin2:

I enjoyed the gig on Thursday as it's been soooo long since I saw him on stage (only saw him at Horse Guard Parade) since 2010 tour so I was really looking forward to the concert. You could hear that his voice was not at its best but it went ok. Great for the fans to be in the choir, shame he didn't introduce it etc.

I was not expecting him to sing "Un soleil mal luné" and I was really pleased as I love this song and thought I would not hear him singing it live.

"Stardust" and "underwater" with the crowd worked very well, very nice moments. So much fun with "Love today", "Elle me dit" etc.

Am not a fan of Lola even live.

I was a bit shocked when he used the word "crap" for something that someone threw on stage and he didn't speak much. He's still jumping all around :thumb_yello:

I still find his concerts too short even though he's now got three albums.

I really enjoyed it, he always makes me happy. I wish I could see him live more often like some of you.

I was hoping to see him after the gig but security mentioned the after party and as I don't live in London, I couldn't stay that late.

A lot of you wrote some quite negative reviews, which I think is a bit sad.

This was my second time seeing a Mika concert and my boyfriend's first time and we both completely loved it. I met some great people in the queue and we were about the last 2 people to be given free light up candles. I thought that was a really great gesture, and its something I've never experienced at a concert before, so thank you to whoever that was! We didn't mind the wait and we got quite a good place to stand.

However, we really did not like the DJs that came on before Mika. Their act was hardly any different from the background music that was playing before they came on. They basically seemed to just be pressing play on various different songs, and it felt like they were on for a whole hour which seemed to last forever. We got so bored that we sat down, and when they finished we cheered loudly because they were leaving. I think Mika could have chosen a much better warm up act, maybe one with INSTRUMENTS??

But the dismal start definitely did not have any effect on our enjoyment of Mika. I thought that the french song that Mika begun with was very beautiful, and even though I had not heard it before, I really loved it. He started playing Grace Kelly very early on, my favourite, which although I totally adored listening to I think that I might have preferred to hear it later on in the concert.

He played pretty much all of the songs that I loved and it was great to hear his flawless singing voice in real life. People seem to be complaining that he had a sore throat and a weaker voice, but we honestly did not notice a thing.

To whoever posted that video of 'Underwater', THANK YOU! When Mika asked the audience to waltz my boyfriend and seemed to be the only ones on the bottom floor that did it. And then, Mika noticed us (its in the video)!!! He pointed at us, he looked right at me for a bit, said "You are so clearly not from around here!" and did an impression of our dancing. After getting used to seeing other bands from miles away like at the back of the O2 arena, having my favourite artist notice me and look right at me and MENTION me made my excitement levels go through the roof! If the amazing music hadn't been enough, it TOTALLY made the night for me!

All in all, an extremely, extremely fun night dancing and screaming along to all my most favourite songs in the world in the company of other people who thought the same is an event that I will never forget.

P.S

I forgot how perfect Mika's face is in real life, and I enjoyed it when he took his top off.

Boo to all your bad reviews!

I thought the gig was amazing, after queuing for so long (that number system was great:thumb_yello:) it was soo nice to hear stardust live, since I got my ticket all I kept wishing was that he would sing it and he did! I loved when we all turned on our candles for underwater :wub2: it looked so amazing! I realllyyyyyyy enjoyed myself and when MIKA looks straight into your eyes it's just the best feeling, overall, I LOVED it, every second!

I'd just like to say how kind everyone was and I'm so glad I got to talk to and meet so many amazing MIKA fans, the lining up was so fun, even if everyone thought I was crazy for wearing a dress :aah:

Thank you MIKA for a wonderful night :huglove: you are so perfect and beautiful!

One point: the choir, I don't think I could hear them :dunno: they only sung along like the rest of the audience so I was kind of confused...

I'll upload my pics tomorrow, I got a few pretty good ones!

I think Mika could have chosen a much better warm up act, maybe one with INSTRUMENTS??

There were 2 girls opening at the US shows and one of them was a DJ but the other was playing the fiddle and I thought it worked really well. Another singer-songwriter just makes me impatient for Mika to come on because they always pale by comparison. I thought the girls were a good choice because it was totally different but they used familiar music. But I don't really get the appeal of watching a DJ alone.

Anyway thanks for your review. It's good to hear all sides. :wink2:

I wasn't at the London and Manchester gigs but I've read all your comments.I first saw the vids and was surprised to hear "Comme un soleil mal luné" as opening song for two reasons: first because it's a slow and sad song and second because it's in French.I think he did it on purpose. My explanation may seem naive and too simple but I think he did it to inform his fans he really is "mal luné" meaning in a bad mood as most of people who attended the gig said he was.

"je suis seul, si seul... (I'm so lonely). He has said several times that the found the French language better to write more personal things.Probably because he spent his chidhood in France. He's is ill, tired, doesn't approve some of his managers décisions, his album doesn't sell in the UK, he gets bad reviews, and yet he is at home.Many reasons could be put forward, even a row or a break up with his lover who was at the "origin" of the writing of this album..

Anyway, someone talked about this song as not a good choice for an opening song, generally speaking and not for the UK gig, because it's too slow.

Well I don't agree. The French audience really apreciated him to start with this song. I spoke with non Mika fans after the Nantes gig, and a girl told me she was so surprised he could sing this kind of deep and moving song in French, only with piano and voice, which is different from the easy "Elle me dit".

He really amazed the French audience with "Un soleil mal luné" as an opening song, because it was audacious and wonderful. He won lot of "respect" and "credibility" for being an amazing singer, doing that. Even the press was impressed !

But it was an audacious choice to make in France and in french-speaking country, not in London, especially with the special situation of his popularity here... But maybe he did that on purpose, as a thumb nose at all this :dunno::fisch: It was his choice... and he did not the same the next day in Manchester, so why only London ?

d:

It was me who said this but not quite the way you remembered. In fact, what I wrote was that in order for a slow song to work as a show starter at a pop concert he'd either have to impress the audience with his voice (which he couldn't this time, due to his illness) or by the meaning of the song- something the British audience had no clue of. The reason it worked in France is exactly the reason why it did not in the UK. So, you basically confirmed what I wrote:teehee:

If he did that song as a " thumb nose" to Londoners, like you say, it makes me question his sanity, to be honest. I hope you are not right about that.

Edited by suzie

I love the song Un soleil mal luné, but I was a little shocked that in UK he start the show with this song and it made me laugh at the same time because I was sure that on MFC in this thread I will find comments on this topic :naughty:

Something shock me more, this is what I found the day before this gig. Lots of UK fans were in London, Mika was at The Union Chapel no one come to see him :blink:

Mika saw 3 French fans (I was one of them), the day before the gig at the artists entrance of the Union Chapel. We went to see Mika, say him hello and ask him if he was fine. When we arrived around 5pm we were the only fans. We waited and when Mika came out we were still 3 fans. Mika invited us to the BBC unless we have asked him nothing. When we returned to find our invitations we return to the entrance of the artists we haven't seen any fans of Mika wait and the exit after the show there was no British fans :doh: