Popular - with Ariana Grande

Naectegale

I don't intend to place "fault" on his lack of anything. It's not Ariana's "fault" that she's profiting so well. It's just a disappointment that it didn't turn out better for him here in this country. I feel like if I were somewhere else, it wouldn't bother me so much. But I really really wanted to see his name somewhere over here and I expected his work with Ariana to help that and it hasn't. Not a faulty situation, not negative for his artistry, just a disappointment for the sake of his representation.

I wasn't specifically talking about you :wink2:

But sometimes when you want to be recognised you have to take a step back and ride the wave of someone else.

I wasn't specifically talking about you :wink2:

But sometimes when you want to be recognised you have to take a step back and ride the wave of someone else.

Sorry, I just wanted to clarify:blush-anim-cl:

And that's fine, it just seems like he's not even riding. It's like he put Ariana on the wave and then watched her ride away.

and i remember he said in that fast forward mag interview last year that the fact that he's famous in so many countries gives him freedom. he also said that it's a different level of fame in each country, in one he can fill venues of several thousand, in another one it's just small venues - and i guess he's happy to just keep it that way. probably he even enjoys that in the UK and in the US, where he has his houses, he can go to the supermarket without getting mobbed by fans.

Yes, I can see the advantages to that. He said that he's quite comfortable with the level of success that he has, and I suppose he is. I guess that it's me who wants more -- whether it's my place to want it or not is beside the point. Like Lara says, I just see how terrific the music is and I want everyone to experience it, and I want Mika to reap the benefits of that success.

And I totally agree with everyone, it's all his choice. I'm still disappointed his record company didn't take any risks when TOOL was out. And I understand this is how it is, without immediate reaction to an album they don't invest in artists/promo. Still, even the start wasn't like it could have been and it felt wrong.

Yep, that's how I feel too. Oh well. :dunno:

Yes, I can see the advantages to that. He said that he's quite comfortable with the level of success that he has, and I suppose he is. I guess that it's me who wants more -- whether it's my place to want it or not is beside the point. Like Lara says, I just see how terrific the music is and I want everyone to experience it, and I want Mika to reap the benefits of that success.

Exactly :thumb_yello:

Alas, blasting his music out of my car window will have to suffice as US promotion for now. :aah:

it's easily earned money, it is even money earned with his music, and he doesn't have to do any promo for it, ariana does that job for him - i suppose that's more the way he sees this than seeing it as a chance to become more famous himself. :dunno:

I think you're right about that. He doesn't need to do any more work on this song and the royalty cheques will come in while he's earning money elsewhere. Of course I wish things were different but I still don't see any downside here for Mika.

Yes the Origin Of Love was amazing. So many potential and addictive hit songs in my opinion like Underwater, Love You When I'm Drunk, Lola, Overrated, Stardust, etc; He really showed off his song writing skills on that album :wub2: More people need to hear it!

I agree - and when it comes to the lack of promo for TOOL I think we have reason to complain :sneaky2: For everything else, it all boils down to CHOICES, for MIKA, like for the rest of us, and he should be aware of the consequences :wink2: I have to agree with Mellody re his wish for freedom rather than more fame, and with Deb, that it's we, his fans, who want more - MIKA himself seems happy and pleased these days :wub2:

Btw, this is a lovely photo of you kissing the cats head!:wub2: I love cats - maybe MIKA should incl animals in his songwriting at the coming album :teehee: At least I melted when his wish for a fine day was a visit in the London Zoo, early in his carriere - and I wonder if the penguins he got are still there ?:mikadas:

Love, love

me

I guess that it's me who wants more -- whether it's my place to want it or not is beside the point. Like Lara says, I just see how terrific the music is and I want everyone to experience it, and I want Mika to reap the benefits of that success.

That's exactly how I feel, too. He is just so good and it's a shame that so many people will never discover him just because they don't "come in touch" with his music. On the other hand I want it for him as a person, too, as a kind of feedback that it's great what he does.

I don't know what his feelings about that are, but that are my feelings as a fan.

Totally, totally agree with you. And I admire him because he has the courage to make his own decisions, however they turn out, and because he always puts his freedom first.

i agree that it's very likely mika's own decision and responsibility and not of his advisors. i think what he wants is a) make music and b) keep his freedom as much as possible. and of course earn a good living. and the freedom might be the key point here. trying to break the US would mean spending lots and lots of time there, and doing interviews all the time when actually he prefers to make music. i don't think he likes the promotion part of his job very much. maybe he even prefers judging talent shows and doing commercials to doing lots of interviews and tv shows. at least in the talent shows he makes his own decisions (about the candidates), whereas promotion days are filled with appointments that are made for him by his record label.

and i remember he said in that fast forward mag interview last year that the fact that he's famous in so many countries gives him freedom. he also said that it's a different level of fame in each country, in one he can fill venues of several thousand, in another one it's just small venues - and i guess he's happy to just keep it that way. probably he even enjoys that in the UK and in the US, where he has his houses, he can go to the supermarket without getting mobbed by fans.

he's earning money from every sold copy of ariana's album, and since that's #1 in so many countries, i think that sums up to a LOT of money. :teehee: so i guess he doesn't care much about whether his name gets mentioned or not when someone writes about the song. it's easily earned money, it is even money earned with his music, and he doesn't have to do any promo for it, ariana does that job for him - i suppose that's more the way he sees this than seeing it as a chance to become more famous himself. :dunno:

Yep, that's how I feel too. Oh well. :dunno:

It's the same with me. You summed it up wonderfully well Deb.

I get frustrated because I see how good he is. I hear pop songs that are awful (and that's putting it kindly) next to Mika's songs. I want the UK to hear his work and for him to get popular in the USA, because then he'd gain respect in the UK. Some, like Robbie Williams, can be big in the UK without America, but Robbie has the musical giant, Gary Barlow, behind him, so if there's a big royal concert, or a big concert for anything, Robbie is always there. Mika isn't.

To me that doesn't seem fair.

But at the end of the day, it's Mika's own choice. No matter what we want for him, it is what he wants that matters.

• 2 weeks later...
I noticed on The Tonight Show (Jay Leno) website that Mika and Ariana will be on the show next Tuesday (Oct. 1) :woot_jump:

:thumb_yello: Thanks for info! This is really great - lots of people will then get to know our MIKA in US - surely a result of the vid. success!! :wub2::teehee:

Love,love

me

I noticed on The Tonight Show (Jay Leno) website that Mika and Ariana will be on the show next Tuesday (Oct. 1) :woot_jump:

:thumb_yello: Thanks for info! This is really great - lots of people will then get to know our MIKA in US - surely a result of the vid. success!! :wub2::teehee:

Love,love

me

Excellent result!!!!! Just the sort of thing I hoped for in the USA!

I suppose they'll sing the song, will they?

WHAT?!?! FOR REAL?

:fangurl::dance_man::woot_jump::boing::pbjt::kachinga::excite:

OMG *gets all excited* OMG OMG

i need a pen so i can write this news on my hand.... OMG WHY AM I SURROUNDED BY PENCILS? :overreact:

EDIT: i checked the official site for The Tonight Show because i couldn't believe this excellent news but it's true, that site confirms it!

Edited by kreacher

Excellent result!!!!! Just the sort of thing I hoped for in the USA!

I suppose they'll sing the song, will they?

Yes, that's probably all they'll do, too -- I mean, no interview. But that's fabulous news! I'm checking around now to see if they'll be on any of the other US talk shows. Ariana was already on Jimmy Fallon and a few others, so she probably won't do those again, but it would be great if Mika could appear on a few more shows -- since he's coming all this way! :thumb_yello:

Thanks for the news!

This is good promo for Mika but yes he could do SO much better and take advantage of Popular and Ariana's success. But instead he'll be on Italian Xfactor. :(

Well,it seems you were worried for nothing,he can do italian XFactor and US promo at the same time :wink2: Which make me think that maybe he could also do those TV shows and write music at the same time,just have to wait and see :thumb_yello:

Well,it seems you were worried for nothing,he can do italian XFactor and US promo at the same time :wink2: Which make me think that maybe he could also do those TV shows and write music at the same time,just have to wait and see :thumb_yello:

But won't he be in Italy and filming the live shows for Xfactor next month? I'm guessing this Jay Leno thing will be the only promo he does for Popular in the States. But I would love for him to just cancel Xfactor (if it was possible) and just get on a plane to the US and promote the hell out of himself :aah:

But won't he be in Italy and filming the live shows for Xfactor next month? I'm guessing this Jay Leno thing will be the only promo he does for Popular in the States. But I would love for him to just cancel Xfactor (if it was possible) and just get on a plane to the US and promote the hell out of himself :aah:

I know,but maybe Jay Leno it's not the only show,there's still one month until the live XF :dunno: