Popular - with Ariana Grande

Naectegale

never heard of ariana....i don't roll too much with the nickelodeon crew these days :naughty: she's not that famous obviously, prolly only with the tween set, otherwise i'd have heard of her :mf_rosetinted:

the song isn't awful..it just sounds EXACTLY like every other disney/nick song geared towards the tween set (not even teens i'd say) and the musical arrangement sort of overpowers the vocals.So sadly i don't see this winning him any new adult listeners in the US, it's too niched and cliched...and if it does take off amongst young girls it'll only further polarise opinion about him...but hey maybe not..maybe any exposure is good exposure and in any case any record bought is a good thing...though anybody buying TOOL based on this song is in for a huge surprise! :aah:

i seem to be the only one, but i like the new version. :teehee: not as much as the original, and maybe it's just cause i'm a little bit drunk atm and just returned home from a club where they played much worse. :lmfao: but i can so well imagine that on the radio! will listen again tomorrow, but for the moment, i like it. :thumb_yello:

me too but post dinner!:thumb_yello::aah:

Im not a fan of this version. :aah:

I showed this to my sister and she said Mika asked the choir backstage in hollywood if anyone knew who Ariana Grande was. They all said no. And he acted confused and it seemed he didn't know who she was either. He was Like "i guess shes on nickelodeon. I don't know. You guys are young so i thought you'd know" But she said he didnt mention a song.

Just thought that was interesting....or not.

:shocked:

http://www.josepvinaixa.com/blog/mika-popular-song-featuring-ariana-grande-single-premiere/

or

https://soundcloud.com/universalrepublic/mika-popular-song-featuring

Popular - remixed with new vocals :shocked: as a US Single :shocked:

With a lass I've never heard of - Arainna Grande

NOOOOOOOOO!!!! :overreact:

Why the autotune? Please God, why???

Blah blah blah artistic integrity. Blah blah blah he loves France. Blah blah blah he doesn't want to be famous.

At least that's what people tell me whenever I ask why. :mf_rosetinted:

That's artistic integrity?

Really? :blink:

it just sounds EXACTLY like every other disney/nick song geared towards the tween set (not even teens i'd say) and the musical arrangement sort of overpowers the vocals.

Totally agree...

I still vow for a collaboration with Nicki Minaj. Not because I like her but because the result will be very entertaining :naughty:

Can I send you to the naughty corner for saying that ... I really really don't like her ... I think you need to go ... now :teehee:

Stardust was meant to fllyyyyy, gonna put it in your eyes :glasses2:

I've only ever seen two videos of hers ... I was abit like ... how on earth has she got a record deal ... oh she has big boobs ... figures :doh:

I've only ever seen two videos of hers ... I was abit like ... how on earth has she got a record deal ... oh she has big boobs ... figures :doh:

Despite the fact that i love the original, that one is not bad at all. :fisch:

I like it and i think it could be good for North America. :thumb_yello:

To me this one sounds catchier than the original song. I'm not a huge fan of the song but I can honestly say I like this one better.

If they're going to release this as a single in the US, I wish him all the best with it.

Im not a fan of this version. :aah:

I showed this to my sister and she said Mika asked the choir backstage in hollywood if anyone knew who Ariana Grande was. They all said no. And he acted confused and it seemed he didn't know who she was either. He was Like "i guess shes on nickelodeon. I don't know. You guys are young so i thought you'd know" But she said he didnt mention a song.

Just thought that was interesting....or not.[/QUOTE]

It is! Thanks for sharing :thumb_yello: I love all the stories and anecdotes :wink2:

I prefer the original version with Priscillia and, like Christine, love Priscillia's cheeky tone. But this new girl is not too bad. I hope their collaboration will appeal to the US market.

OMG what is that :aah: I don't know if I like or hate this version.

Sooo fast I can't breathe during the whole song. As other people say, it sounds a lot more childish than the original. I already hear about this girl but never heard what she sings, for the same reason I'm not listening to Hannah Montana and Justin Bieber...

But the positive sides, it's AMERICAN :aah: So fast that you can't understand anything, it's how they like it... Bubblegum too. So that's maybe the best way to get on US radio. And then, people will start to like Mika and he'll come back on this side of the ocean to make gigs. :naughty:

I agree with you :naughty:, as long as it sells...

Don't like this one much, I think all that autotune during the chorus is too much. Maybe they'd have to centre the attention on the chorus itself. But it's still catchy, so hope it will help Mika to get more famous in the US

Edited by Galy

Drama queens all over the thread :aah: :aah:

I had no idea who this girl was till someone posted here the pic of "Victorious".

:mf_rosetinted:

nice

:mf_rosetinted:

My 6yo son watches that serie.... so I know this girl...

We know Mika didn´t have a too-great relation with Priscilla since she fell sleep in that couch in that studio, right? :aah: Since he´s been performing that song, he never did it as it was recorded, instead, he always sings it like this version. Maybe he "can´t" rap, or maybe he just doesn´t like it... :dunno: but when it comes to promotion, I think he has done it right this time. Popular is the most "american" song of the album (God, they love rap) and doing a dueto with a girl who is "popular" not only in US but also in South America I think it´s a good idea. Do I like the version? bleh, I don´t care. It´s not my fav song of the album, and I don´t like versions... I usually never pay attention to variations of a same song... that´s why when he popped up in a radio with a NEW SONG and it turned out being a new version of MYH I just closed the window and went do other stuff.

So, either if we like it or not, maybe it brings him cash :aah: which is always good, cause I want him to tour Europe again. And again. And again. :mf_rosetinted:

... How do I say this in a nice manner? :naughty:

I've never been a fan of this song but without Priscilla there's not much to like I'm afraid. The thing that makes it even worse is the fact that they've left out all the "bad words" like bitch and faggot. As ridiculous as it makes me sound I think they brought some edge to the song and without these bits it's just another song I could imagine hearing in a clichéd high school film.

It's odd how he'd come up with something like this after adapting a whole new image of being such a neatly-dressed, grown up musician with an album full of love songs. Looking back at his career I might've expected him to do this a couple years ago but right now it just seems like a really strange tactic. I don't get it and in all honesty, if this was the first song people heard from Mika I don't think anyone would take him seriously. I'm sorry if it's a bit harsh but that's how I feel about this.

Ugh. No. Just... No.

I've never been a fan of this song but without Priscilla there's not much to like I'm afraid. The thing that makes it even worse is the fact that they've left out all the "bad words" like bitch and faggot. As ridiculous as it makes me sound I think they brought some edge to the song and without these bits it's just another song I could imagine hearing in a clichéd high school film.

It's odd how he'd come up with something like this after adapting a whole new image of being such a neatly-dressed, grown up musician with an album full of love songs. Looking back at his career I might've expected him to do this a couple years ago but right now it just seems like a really strange tactic. I don't get it and in all honesty, if this was the first song people heard from Mika I don't think anyone would take him seriously. I'm sorry if it's a bit harsh but that's how I feel about this.

Ugh. No. Just... No.

I love the beauty of the fact that everyone has their own views and opinions and they are all so colorful!!! Makes the world a MUCH more interesting place, dosen't it! I do beleive this is one of those times you either LOVE it or HATE it and there really is no inbetween! I personally LOVE it! Two thumbs and Two big toes HIGH up in the air!!! Adriana can hold her own, even with the mighty MIKA! :mikalove:

I love the beauty of the fact that everyone has their own views and opinions and they are all so colorful!!! Makes the world a MUCH more interesting place, dosen't it! I do beleive this is one of those times you either LOVE it or HATE it and there really is no inbetween! I personally LOVE it! Two thumbs and Two big toes HIGH up in the air!!! Adriana can hold her own, even with the mighty MIKA! :mikalove:

Well said. :thumb_yello: I usually don't even bother posting if I disagree with the general opinion (often it's because I feel like I'm not able to express myself clearly enough and I'm afraid people will get the wrong idea) but this time I just couldn't keep my mouth shut. I've been a bit snappy today. :teehee:

Ugh. No. Just... No.

Totally agree! Also them leaving out "bitch" and "faggot" kind of ruins the song for me! To me that was the heart of the song! I understand why they did it but it still annoys me! It sounds like a different song now, it's much more bubblegum and sweet and I don't like it, the song (to me) was about saying "I havent forgotten what you did to me" to people who hurt you in the past, whereas now it sounds like an "always be true to yourself" song that has been taken out of the next High school musical movie