Popular - with Ariana Grande

Naectegale

Well said. :thumb_yello: I usually don't even bother posting if I disagree with the general opinion (often it's because I feel like I'm not able to express myself clearly enough and I'm afraid people will get the wrong idea) but this time I just couldn't keep my mouth shut. I've been a bit snappy today. :teehee:

Naughty girl! I like it when you get snappy!! :naughty: I think you express your opinions beautifly - you should NEVER just keep your mouth shut! I have never heard ANYTHING I didn't like coming out of your mouth! :floor:

Totally agree! Also them leaving out "bitch" and "faggot" kind of ruins the song for me! To me that was the heart of the song! I understand why they did it but it still annoys me! It sounds like a different song now, it's much more bubblegum and sweet and I don't like it, the song (to me) was about saying "I havent forgotten what you did to me" to people who hurt you in the past

Yes that's what the song was about for me too and that's what keeps me listening to it every time I listen to TOOL. It's not like I need to relate to every single song in order to like it but because the song itself isn't that great this was the aspect that appealed to me the most. Now that it's stripped away I don't find it interesting in the least.

... whereas now it sounds like an "always be true to yourself" song that has been taken out of the next High school musical movie

Exactly. The song now reminds me of Glee, which I hate with passion just because it's so damn cheesy (sorry to all the Glee fans, it's just not my cup of tea).

Naughty girl! I like it when you get snappy!! :naughty: I think you express your opinions beautifly - you should NEVER just keep your mouth shut! I have never heard ANYTHING I didn't like coming out of your mouth! :floor:

Oh you! :lmfao: You're in for a treat then! :naughty:

Totally agree! Also them leaving out "bitch" and "faggot" kind of ruins the song for me! To me that was the heart of the song! I understand why they did it but it still annoys me! It sounds like a different song now, it's much more bubblegum and sweet and I don't like it, the song (to me) was about saying "I havent forgotten what you did to me" to people who hurt you in the past, whereas now it sounds like an "always be true to yourself" song that has been taken out of the next High school musical movie

Totally AGREE .. . but that is what America is all about! That bubblegum High School Musical catchy crap. So fitting for an American audience. I think it is going to do quite well. Whereas the original version would NEVER get played here in America . . . as we are all very aware of! I have NEVER heard MIKA played in America - at least in most states . . .pretty sure he has been played at least once in California and perhaps NYC. But that even was a very rare occassion. I use to spend all day on the phone calling all the radio stations trying to get them to play MIKA just ONCE. The programming directors would not have it. SO, if T H I S song gets played on air .. OMG - maybe THEN that will open the doors for them to play more MIKA . . . you never know!!! :mikadas:

I do beleive this is one of those times you either LOVE it or HATE it and there really is no inbetween! I personally LOVE it! Two thumbs and Two big toes HIGH up in the air!!! Adriana can hold her own, even with the mighty MIKA! :mikalove:

Right?? you love or hate this version... I think I like it because I looooove tweens music :naughty:

can we say we're step closer to ...

One+Direction++20+PNG+Version.png

or

glee-cast1.jpg

Totally AGREE .. . but that is what America is all about! That bubblegum High School Musical catchy crap. So fitting for an American audience. I think it is going to do quite well. Whereas the original version would NEVER get played here in America . . . as we are all very aware of! I have NEVER heard MIKA played in America - at least in most states . . .pretty sure he has been played at least once in California and perhaps NYC. But that even was a very rare occassion. I use to spend all day on the phone calling all the radio stations trying to get them to play MIKA just ONCE. The programming directors would not have it. SO, if T H I S song gets played on air .. OMG - maybe THEN that will open the doors for them to play more MIKA . . . you never know!!! :mikadas:

was about to post the same thing :thumb_yello:

Right?? you love or hate this version... I think I like it because I looooove tweens music :naughty:

Definitley!! :das:

I LOVE Tween music too! My daughter is 11 so right at that age!!! All we EVER do is watch Victorious and listen to all that music! She is obsessed! I wonder where she gets that trait from!? :fisch:

. . . I even watch Nickelodeon shows when I am alone!! Is that SAD? :naughty:

I LOVE Tween music too! My daughter is 11 so right at that age!!! All we EVER do is watch Victorious and listen to all that music! She is obsessed! I wonder where she gets that trait from!? :fisch:

My kids are the same age but they are NOT into that at all:naughty: Boys came home monday totally disgusted because they had to listen to Bieber in English class:doh:

sad? noo way, I think it's great ... helps you to understand this generation :naughty:

this is coming from someone who regularly watches Drake & Josh, Phineas and Ferb and Good luck charlie

I find the change in tempo and the censorship off-putting, but other than that . . . I don't hate it. But, like remixes that just sound odd to me, I probably won't listen to it much. But it's not for me. I like the message of the song (speaking as one who was bullied a lot in school :wink2:) and if this version of the song gets that message to an audience that wouldn't have otherwise heard it, that's good! I do worry that they will be disappointed if they buy the album and find that song isn't on it. But there's surely a chance that new people will find and fall in love with what they hear!

I'm not sure how popular Victorious is, but I've seen things related to it trend on Twitter. Have I watched it myself? Maybe, but I like iCarly better. :teehee:

My kids are the same age but they are NOT into that at all:naughty: Boys came home monday totally disgusted because they had to listen to Bieber in English class:doh:

My boys are older thank goodness!! :naughty: My daughter is the young one and she is totally obsessed with Bieber and One Direction and every Nickelodeon - Disney channel show out there!!! I love it all.

sad? noo way, I think it's great ... helps you to understand this generation :naughty:

this is coming from someone who regularly watches Drake & Josh, Phineas and Ferb and Good luck charlie

Oh you are SO speaking my language!!! I watch all those plus Ant Farm and Shake it Up . . . one of my faves is Good Luck Charlie and Jessie!!! :naughty:

I hope you are right Holly. I also hope that the label is more interested in promoting Ariana than they have been Mika or it's not going to go anywhere anyway, whether it appeals to American tastes or not.

Well Ariana is e v e r y w h e r e so . . . *fingers crossed* :thumb_yello:

I find the change in tempo and the censorship off-putting, but other than that . . . I don't hate it. But, like remixes that just sound odd to me, I probably won't listen to it much. But it's not for me. I like the message of the song (speaking as one who was bullied a lot in school :wink2:) and if this version of the song gets that message to an audience that wouldn't have otherwise heard it, that's good! I do worry that they will be disappointed if they buy the album and find that song isn't on it. But there's surely a chance that new people will find and fall in love with what they hear!

I'm not sure how popular Victorious is, but I've seen things related to it trend on Twitter. Have I watched it myself? Maybe, but I like iCarly better. :teehee:

Ooooh I love iCarly! But, Victorious is prolly my fave. But, then again I watch SpongeBob . . . even when I am all alone.

I made a video for my son cause he was on the Homecoming Court and I used "Popular" . . . so I am pretty much BURNED OUT :insane: on the song!!! EEEKKKK over and over and over and over . . . perhaps that is why I am so keen on a different version!! :aah:

OMG what's this? Glee? :roftl:

Listening to the mix on the second link of the first post.

Edit: ok, first link is the same or similar. How can I get an impression from a short audio that the song is sung by a brainless chick who has no clue what she is singing about?

Edited by suzie

If this version had been the original one I would have stopped the recording after ten seconds. I can't hear the lyrics, only music and I feel like I am in an overcrowded station hall with a hangover. I listened to the entire piece waiting for the song to start...

Hmmm...I LOVE Popular on the record, love it, and I really really like Priscilla's voice on it, but this new version is way too fast for my taste :wink2:

Too fast, too fake and too 'something' (a lot of somethings:aah:)

I do agree with whoever said that Popular live doesn't really work without a female vocalist, but I really enjoyed the recorded version of it with her. Not the new one though!

In the case of Origin of Love I kinda prefered the new radio version, and I like it a lot, but in the case of Popular it's the opposite.

As I can believe this article http://upcoming-hits.blogspot.nl/2012/12/wordt-de-nieuwe-single-van-mika-een.html Popular will be the new single in Holland.

I think Ariane's voice is okay, but this version is too fast and too bubblegumpoppy. I also think it's a shame the *-words are left out. I thought that in our country that wouldn't be necessary...

Don't know how trustworthy it is, but here they write that it is a promotional single in the US.

First I thought it is very fast, too. But after a couple of listening I tried the album version for comparison - and than that one felt much to slow, I wanted to speed it up all the time while listening :naughty:

After some listenings I would even say that the interaction works better in a higher speed.

I like the more full sound as an alternative, too. I can't say which one is better, the old or the new one, but I definitely can't say that I don't like this production. Only a little bit to loud in comparison to their voices.

So I'm kind of neutral towards the new arrangement and speed.

But I don't like the voice of Ariana. She sounds so much like the typical "highschool-musical-disney-singer", so replaceable - whereas Priscilla has this great sassyness, more expression and an uniqueness in her voice.

And without the swear words some edge of the song is missing...

I would love to hear a faster version with Priscilla :wink2:

I do agree with whoever said that Popular live doesn't really work without a female vocalist

You see, I'm exactly at the opposite. I didn't like this song until I heard it live with only Mika's voice and the Polka Dot Choir from New-York. Now I can listen to the reccorded version but before I was skipping it all the time.

I don't really like this version because it's not my kind of music, but it's the music that a lot of younger American are listening to.