• Step With Me
    • Popular Song
    • Emily
    • Elle Me Dit
    • Heroes
    • Celebrate
    • Karen
    • Tah Dah

anyone have any idea how many of TOOLs songs will be released as singles and also which is next to be released? is it underwater? :blush-anim-cl:

Underwater have already been released :wink2: As it seem now Popular song is the latest released song from the album.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Voted for Tah Dah and Step With Me. Would have voted Popular Song, the original album version, but have gone right off it since he messed about with it and ruined it! :doh: Stardust is catchy but nothing particularly special IMO, and LYWID can get annoying after too many listens so I don't think it would have done him any favours in the long run had it been a single.

i thought for quite a while but now voted for origin of love and underwater. OOL would have been the best choice for a first single IMO, as mika would have had a story to tell about this song. the church criticism would have made fantastic headlines in newspapers and magazines, and would have given the radio moderators a story to tell, just like the music industry criticism in GK did in 2007. a song can be great, but if the media isn't interested in it, it'll fail. and the media is interested if they can sell it to people - mika himself isn't a selling argument anymore, like for example adele is. a (good) song with an interesting story would make it easy for them. the promotion for celebrate in germany wasn't bad, but the song just completely failed - IMO because it had nothing special, nothing that'd stick in people's minds long enough to get them interested.

the second single only would've gotten a decent amount of promotion, if the first one had done well. it could've been stardust, the new version of popular song, step with me, LYWID, or underwater. SWM would be great for the summer. LYWID or stardust should be released at a time when the "party hits" are likely to climb the charts (in germany that's often the case for carneval, meaning a release date in january). i chose underwater because the timing of the 2nd single was in december, in time for christmas - and for this, i think UW was indeed the best choice, just that it got (almost) no promotion because the first single failed.

i thought for quite a while but now voted for origin of love and underwater. OOL would have been the best choice for a first single IMO, as mika would have had a story to tell about this song. the church criticism would have made fantastic headlines in newspapers and magazines, and would have given the radio moderators a story to tell, just like the music industry criticism in GK did in 2007. a song can be great, but if the media isn't interested in it, it'll fail. and the media is interested if they can sell it to people - mika himself isn't a selling argument anymore, like for example adele is. a (good) song with an interesting story would make it easy for them. the promotion for celebrate in germany wasn't bad, but the song just completely failed - IMO because it had nothing special, nothing that'd stick in people's minds long enough to get them interested.

the second single only would've gotten a decent amount of promotion, if the first one had done well. it could've been stardust, the new version of popular song, step with me, LYWID, or underwater. SWM would be great for the summer. LYWID or stardust should be released at a time when the "party hits" are likely to climb the charts (in germany that's often the case for carneval, meaning a release date in january). i chose underwater because the timing of the 2nd single was in december, in time for christmas - and for this, i think UW was indeed the best choice, just that it got (almost) no promotion because the first single failed.

I voted just like you Origin Of Love and Underwater :thumb_yello:

Yes I voted for Stardust only as it's the only obvious hit IMO. I have no idea what is going to work on radio and what isn't and favourites have even less to do with it. :naughty:

yes I think so too.. that's why I had to choose Elle me dit ...not other Tool song.

Voted for Tah Dah and Step With Me. Would have voted Popular Song, the original album version, but have gone right off it since he messed about with it and ruined it! :doh: Stardust is catchy but nothing particularly special IMO, and LYWID can get annoying after too many listens so I don't think it would have done him any favours in the long run had it been a single.

I agree on the opinion that Stardust is not that special nor represent the identity of TOOL sounds. I only focused that catch thing... but unfortunately I cant find any other song that satisfies both...(maybe rearranged Origin of Love might do this...)

I love tahdah and Step with me as well but think tah dah is so much like Mikas old songs and even in Bside track... and Stepwith me is a bit cheesy to appeal to guys...IMO

Edited by Yuna

I don't think so, actually. Most of us guessed it would not work out the first time we heard it and it didn't. You can read back first reactions... To me this poll confirms that single choice is more obvious to most fans than it is to record companies.

What I wanted to say was not that a majority would think that Celebrate is the perfect single if it hadn't been single already. I don't think that it would have made a difference in the "pole positions". But I think that Celebrate wouldn't have done as bad as it is doing now in a poll - last place together with other songs (and really the last place when I wrote my comment).The ones that thought back than it wasn't a bad choice won't think it anymore, even if it wasn't the majority.

We have 18 songs but only 16 options I can put for voting.

Shame it's only 16 options. This crossed my mind today: wouldn't it be great if we could have a poll to vote on our Top 10 favourite all time Mika songs? Just an idea...

Shame it's only 16 options. This crossed my mind today: wouldn't it be great if we could have a poll to vote on our Top 10 favourite all time Mika songs? Just an idea...

and a really good one indeed.:thumb_yello:

I was thinking that in retrospect I put up the songs on LICM and TBWKTM for voting (it would be really interesting to compare the results after several years as we already have a voting poll for TBWKTM, for example).

So once that is done there can be a list of 15 songs to choose from as all time favourites

What I wanted to say was not that a majority would think that Celebrate is the perfect single if it hadn't been single already. I don't think that it would have made a difference in the "pole positions". But I think that Celebrate wouldn't have done as bad as it is doing now in a poll - last place together with other songs (and really the last place when I wrote my comment).The ones that thought back than it wasn't a bad choice won't think it anymore, even if it wasn't the majority.

It would have been good to see what results would have shown if the album listening sessions took place months before the album release and participants could rate/ make short comments on the songs and in the end try to recall them...etc.

When we first heard Celebrate we only knew 3 other songs (EMD, MYH and Underwater) , so there weren't many songs to compare Celebrate with in terms of single choice. So many fans were 'forgiving' about coming back with a slightly mellow and shallow song that did not sound like making any particular impact. Others like anything, anyway. The way I see it is that after the release of the album with so many great songs on it, there is just no explanation who could have possibly thought this one will work for Mika. It would have probably worked for Jennifer Lopez but not him. And that is where knowing one's audience comes into the picture. It does not mean that songs would need to be written based on market research findings but that one makes the right choices with the available options they have (and he had approx. 10 better options).