2013 - MIKA @ The Aladdin in PORTLAND, OR - 23 March - REPORTS/PICS/VIDEOS

dcdeb

Hey y'all!!! Long time no see. ;) I think it's been years since I logged in.

After a 3.5 year dry spell, Mika graced the Pacific Northwest with a very special show. I was up near the stage, about 3 "layers" from the front, and off to the side, where I could clearly see his lovely face at the piano. :) I am still in Portland, so I will post pics once I get back to the Seattle area. I was fortunate enough to stand near other gals who had been Big Girl dancers (I danced in the Vancouver show in 2009), and we reminisced about that wonderful experience.

I'll post a more detailed review when I get home, so that I can refer to the set list and add photos, and all that good stuff that you guys deserve. ;) I will say that this was a lovely show. It got back to the heart of why I was drawn to Mika in the first place, his musicianship and great song writing ability. Not that elaborate sets, dancers, and a huge band aren't fun, but the stripped down, mostly acoustic experience really showcased his music in a raw and timeless sort of way. As a fairly old school musician myself, I greatly appreciated it.

He did play the new songs, though I don't recall Bonnie and Clyde. I really enjoyed Hia Leah, with its laid back doo wop feel, and Mika looking adorable sitting up on the piano. ;) I do have something to say about Century Man. I know that people are dying to hear it, and while it's a nice song, it's not anything that you haven't heard from Mika before. It reminds me of Billy Brown and Doctor John, with the driving beat and powerful vocals at the chorus. Just replace the lyrics with "Century Maaaaan!!" and you pretty much know it already. LOL!

A word about his outfit, just wait for more pictures. He looked SHARP. Very classy, and the vest and slacks really flattered his figure, in my opinion. I greatly prefer it to those painted on skinny jeans, LOL! Mika was quite the gentleman.

The guy in the shorts and tank top was quite the riot! Mika asked if anyone knew the English lyrics to Elle Me Dit, because he could only remember it in French. That young man said that he knew it, so Mika invited him on stage. Um, I heard no singing from him, but he sure tore up the stage with some very unique dance moves. LOL! It was very funny, and Mika was a good sport about it. I even got a shot of them hugging at the end, which I will share later. M even referred to the incident in Hia Leah, by singing "You may pretend to sing, but you really want to dance" during the outtro. I'm sure that guy's whole life was made during that experience.

Anyway, that is all for now. I promise to post pics soon. There was no proper meet and greet. Mika exited the building, and there was a very disorderly mob waiting for him. (I was miffed that we weren't lined up. That might have made a difference.) He was gracious enough to sign a few autographs before getting into a vehicle with Mrs. P, and driving away. I did not get a photo with him, but I did get a pretty hilarious photo of Mika and the back of my head, as per usual. Haha! All in all, a great experience, and well worth the trip. For those of you dying to hear the new songs, take heart, something might turn up eventually... :)

Edited by DaMango

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

No Boston. I went to Portland because it was within driving distance. No money for a plane trip this time. ;)

Recording was not allowed, but I did witness a few folks bending the rules. (Ok, flat out breaking the rules.) Whether or not things get posted to YouTube remains to be seen. Just keep an eye out.

Edited by DaMango

No Boston. I went to Portland because it was within driving distance. No money for a plane trip this time. ;)

Recording was not allowed, but I did witness a few folks bending the rules. (Ok, flat out breaking the rules). Whether or not things get posted to YouTube remains to be seen. Just keep an eye out.

Ahh, I see, you live a fair distance from Boston then.

And I hope some of the new songs appear sometime online:thumb_yello:

Thanks for your report DaMango! Thank you for coming back to MFC to share your experience with us, it's much appreciated :original:

I do have something to say about Century Man. I know that people are dying to hear it, and while it's a nice song, it's not anything that you haven't heard from Mika before. It reminds me of Billy Brown and Doctor John, with the driving beat and powerful vocals at the chorus. Just replace the lyrics with "Century Maaaaan!!" and you pretty much know it already. LOL!

I love that description :lmfao:

@DaMango Glad to see you back on MFC! I'm pleased to hear you had a great time. Thank you for the explanation of Century Man - it really helped me imagine it. I can check how well once I hear a recorded version. I am sure it will come - like you say it will show up sooner or later on YT.

I haven't been able to check the reports on the new shows.. How many musicians is he on tour with? only 2?

@DaMango Glad to see you back on MFC! I'm pleased to hear you had a great time. Thank you for the explanation of Century Man - it really helped me imagine it. I can check how well once I hear a recorded version. I am sure it will come - like you say it will show up sooner or later on YT.

I haven't been able to check the reports on the new shows.. How many musicians is he on tour with? only 2?

only Max and Curtis

Hmm so what did Vancouver do to offend him or is this the new plan - leave straight away??

I'm not sure why he didn't come out at Vancouver, Carri, but if it's any consolation I saw someone on Facebook saying that they were told they'd have a private meet & greet with Mika at this Portland gig (I think perhaps they were one of the FB ticket winners), and they were to wait in the front of the theater... but he never showed. :dunno:

Hmm so what did Vancouver do to offend him or is this the new plan - leave straight away??

Canada always gets the short shrift on these tours I'm afraid. I've never spoken to him outside the venues. He either comes out for 5 minutes and takes off or doesn't come out at all. I don't expect much in Toronto and really don't want to wait around because it's full on winter here. :aah:

Anyway I'm sorry you were disappointed. Vancouver is not London and it's definitely not 2007 anymore. :huh:

Canada always gets the short shrift on these tours I'm afraid. I've never spoken to him outside the venues. He either comes out for 5 minutes and takes off or doesn't come out at all. I don't expect much in Toronto and really don't want to wait around because it's full on winter here. :aah:

Anyway I'm sorry you were disappointed. Vancouver is not London and it's definitely not 2007 anymore. :huh:

what do you mean :teehee: ?

Edited by ne_mfc

what do you mean :teehee: ?

I mean there's not much chance Mika is going to come out for a casual chitchat for 30 mins anymore. Not here anyway. I've never seen it happen. He usually does come out to sign autographs though.

I mean there's not much chance Mika is going to come out for a casual chitchat for 30 mins anymore. Not here anyway. I've never seen it happen. He usually does come out to sign autographs though.

yeah, I suppose. I never waited for him after a show but the other fans I know here in my country say that he usually is very sweet and attentive after the show. But as he gets more popular, more difficult is gets to meet him, i guess :dunno:

yeah, I suppose. I never waited for him after a show but the other fans I know here in my country say that he usually is very sweet and attentive after the show. But as he gets more popular, more difficult is gets to meet him, i guess :dunno:

It guess it depends what your expectations are. Things were just very different in 2007 that's all.

Did you meet him in 2007 ?:blush-anim-cl:

Err, sort of. My friend gave him the first MFC yearbook in London. He was very ill and could not speak so she just gave a speech while he listened. She introduced me and he looked at me and nodded. I gave him a laminated pass that said "Canadian Dodgy Holiday Tour 2008" and listed Vancouver, Toronto and Montreal as the dates. I don't consider it much of a meeting since we did not talk. :naughty: But lo and behold two days later they announced a Canadian tour with dates in Vanouver, Toronto and Montreal so my invitation worked :wink2:

I went to another gig much earlier in 2007 in Toronto and did not try to meet him. But other fans were allowed into a little party upstairs where he chatted to them and signed autographs and took individual pictures with them.

Err, sort of. My friend gave him the first MFC yearbook in London. He was very ill and could not speak so she just gave a speech while he listened. She introduced me and he looked at me and nodded. I gave him a laminated pass that said "Canadian Dodgy Holiday Tour 2008" and listed Vancouver, Toronto and Montreal as the dates. I don't consider it much of a meeting since we did not talk. :naughty: But lo and behold two days later they announced a Canadian tour with dates in Vanouver, Toronto and Montreal so my invitation worked :wink2:

I went to another gig much earlier in 2007 in Toronto and did not try to meet him. But other fans were allowed into a little party upstairs where he chatted to them and signed autographs and took individual pictures with them.

awww that sounds cute :wink2: did you met him other times? sorry, i'm probably disturbing you, but i love to talk to other fans :wub2:

I'm not sure why he didn't come out at Vancouver, Carri, but if it's any consolation I saw someone on Facebook saying that they were told they'd have a private meet & greet with Mika at this Portland gig (I think perhaps they were one of the FB ticket winners), and they were to wait in the front of the theater... but he never showed. :dunno:

I think I was more disappointed for the Mika Virgins - there was prob 16 of us (max) at the stage door. Some one big like Pink, Gaga etc that would get mobbed , yes I can fully unstand them being whisked away. But really ... A small venue gig and someone who is hardly known in Canada?

Probably doesn't help our expectations when he has been so reachable before - big girls video, after gigs, MFC after party , hot chocolate, ice cream, other friendly band members... So I think I was a little stunned - if it stays the same for the whole tour I may not be so grumpy ;)

The Venue takes a while to exit - particularly if you used coat check and you have to hoof half a block and down the alley. Maybe if people had been quicker a glimpse may have been achieved .

Maybe this is a new management ploy ... The Scarlet Pimpernel!

awww that sounds cute :wink2: did you met him other times? sorry, i'm probably disturbing you, but i love to talk to other fans :wub2:

Yes I've been very lucky to have a chance to speak to him properly a couple of times. It's not disturbing me at all but we probably shouldn't talk about it in this thread. :wink2:

Here's a thread where people are telling some stories about meeting Mika and this is my story about the first time I actually spoke to him. You can comment here if you want to chat some more about it.

http://www.mikafanclub.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2857188#post2857188

I think I was more disappointed for the Mika Virgins - there was prob 16 of us (max) at the stage door. Some one big like Pink, Gaga etc that would get mobbed , yes I can fully unstand them being whisked away. But really ... A small venue gig and someone who is hardly known in Canada?

Are you sure that's what happened? Because security guards lie to people all the time to get rid of fans. I have never seen Mika escape that quickly and don't even know how it would be possible since he must have had a shower and must have had to deal with some people back stage. Seems a bit far fetched to me. Did you see anyone else? Crew, etc?

Are you sure that's what happened? Because security guards lie to people all the time to get rid of fans. I have never seen Mika escape that quickly and don't even know how it would be possible since he must have had a shower and must have had to deal with some people back stage. Seems a bit far fetched to me. Did you see anyone else? Crew, etc?

In Vancouver someone on the tour bus (I think?) first said that he left in a limo. I was like uh, Mika's gone all Mariah and is traveling by limo now? I've never seen THAT before! :lmfao: I figured security was just being security - after all, they always say Elvis has left the building. :mf_rosetinted:

But we hung around quite a while and he never showed. Me and my friends were the last ones there - mostly because we sat down on a planter and were yakking amongst ourselves and lost track of time - and finally one of his crew members came up and was like "If for some crazy reason you guys are waiting for Mika, he's long gone."

I wouldn't be surprised if he did bail right after the gig - if for no other reason than the venue was small-ish, it was turning into a nightclub, and he wanted to hang out somewhere more hospitable than what I imagine was probably just a tiny dressing room :dunno: I didn't see his mother or the band, either.

Oh, funny story - as Mika's crew were carrying stuff back to the bus, there was a ginormous duffel bag. They picked it up and one of the local security guys was like "careful, there's a fangurl stowed away in there!" :lmfao: Geez, why didn't I think of that? :doh::mf_rosetinted:

I'll admit, I was a little bummed about no meet'n'greet, but I was prepared for that, after reading the BC reviews. I wondered if it would have been more likely if we were in a line, rather than a mob. I wouldn't want to deal with that either, if I were Mika! However, a few lucky people did get autographs and hugs before he took off, and I even got a cute picture of Mika smiling at everyone. Speaking of which, I must go sort my photos now...