Mika on the cover of Metro Weekly magazine

Milda

The more he talks about his reasons for clinging to Catholicism the less I can find any way to respect his position. How one can "ignore" (as he puts it) crimes against humanity because they love ceremony is beyond me. He tries to paint his contradictions as cute but it's really just irresponsible, not to mention selfish.

Yeah that really bugs me too...

I agree with you Christine. I was born in a Catholic family, yet none of my cousins, nor myself consider ourselves to be Catholic. My parents were raised Catholic but turned away from the Church. I feel that everybody has the right to have their own beliefs and their own religion, but I refuse to support an institution that is so corrupt and has such a hunger for power it is sickening. I refuse to support them because they bully and threaten and abuse minorities and children in the name of God, as if that justifies it all. We're not living in the 1700s. We're supposed to be educated and we should know better than to turn our backs on these things. To hell with traditions and ceremonies.

So yes, I find his views on religion to be slightly disappointing. Yes, I understand he was raised as a Catholic and that perhaps he finds comfort in it. Personally I wouldn't want to be associated with any kind of organisation which would go against my beliefs and would tell me that I will burn in hell.

We're not living in the 1700s. We're supposed to be educated and we should know better than to turn our backs on these things. To hell with traditions and ceremonies.

Even in the 16th century people were willing to defy and desert the Catholic church. I am not suggesting that the sects of Christianity that followed were any better but at least people were willing to risk their lives and even the fates of their countries to stand up for what they believed in.

I don't agree with any religious beliefs but if people have Christian or other faiths I have no problem with that. But I don't know how you can expect others to join you in your secular battle for the protection of children and gays when you refuse to confront it in your religion because the ritual brings you comfort. If people were permitted to do whatever they want without conscience because it works for them on some level we would still have slavery in the US, ethnic cleansing in western Europe, apartheid in South Africa, etc. These atrocities ended because people were not willing to turn a blind eye any longer and put what was right ahead of their own self interests.

Even in the 16th century people were willing to defy and desert the Catholic church. I am not suggesting that the sects of Christianity that followed were any better but at least people were willing to risk their lives and even the fates of their countries to stand up for what they believed in.

I don't agree with any religious beliefs but if people have Christian or other faiths I have no problem with that. But I don't know how you can expect others to join you in your secular battle for the protection of children and gays when you refuse to confront it in your religion because the ritual brings you comfort. If people were permitted to do whatever they want without conscience because it works for them on some level we would still have slavery in the US, ethnic cleansing in western Europe, apartheid in South Africa, etc. These atrocities ended because people were not willing to turn a blind eye any longer and put what was right ahead of their own self interests.

That's true. I was appalled by this documentary:

it's about the Westboro Baptist Church. Despite them being extreme, they still represent a large part of religious people.

Absolutely. If I find it, I'll get several copies :thumb_yello:

thank you!!:thumb_yello:

very good point! the thing is the beauty of the buildings, even the pageantry can be 'appreciated' without being a member of that religion.

i'm no longer anglican (or any religion for that matter) but i still appreciate the old church building - it's one of the oldest examples of stained glass etc - in the country. I don't support or contribute to the church but if i wanted to admire the building it's there for me without being a member..and if the religion housed in it would cease to be i'd have no problem with that, once the building remains as a historical thing...

long story short, yes he's being a hypocrite :aah:

That's true. I was appalled by this documentary:
it's about the Westboro Baptist Church. Despite them being extreme, they still represent a large part of religious people.

This is where the girls came from that I mentioned in the other thread. They were tweeting hate to Jews and gays and whoever else they could find on Twitter and started talking to a Jewish guy and eventually started coming around and now they've left the church. They are the daughters of a Westboro Pastor so they are estranged from their family.

We all have our own hypocrisies so I can deal with that. I think what I found offensive in this interview is how he tries to characterize his contradictions as "loveable" (like Nigel Hawthorne) instead of something to be ashamed of.

We all have our own hypocrisies so I can deal with that. I think what I found offensive in this interview is how he tries to characterize his contradictions as "loveable" (like Nigel Hawthorne) instead of something to be ashamed of.

That's one of the qualities in him I really don't appreciate :aah: Enough with the love for contradicting himself; It makes him look really ignorant in my opinion, especially in these kinds of statements he makes in interviews. Contradictions in music though, musically, fine, that's brilliant to me.

This is where the girls came from that I mentioned in the other thread. They were tweeting hate to Jews and gays and whoever else they could find on Twitter and started talking to a Jewish guy and eventually started coming around and now they've left the church. They are the daughters of a Westboro Pastor so they are estranged from their family.

I did not read the other thread to be honest:naughty:.

t4p! :flowers2: love the interview. :wub2:

tho i disagree with his opinion that being contradictory makes you interesting. it might be true in some ways, but not if you change your opinion every day - that just makes it difficult for everyone who relies on your word. but i guess mika knows it's not really a positive thing - he's just trying to make something negative sound better. :teehee: i wouldn't mind tho if this changing his opinion thing also applied to his comment "this is the last gig in (uk, germany,...) for a very long time". :naughty:

thank you!!:thumb_yello:

very good point! the thing is the beauty of the buildings, even the pageantry can be 'appreciated' without being a member of that religion.

i'm no longer anglican (or any religion for that matter) but i still appreciate the old church building - it's one of the oldest examples of stained glass etc - in the country. I don't support or contribute to the church but if i wanted to admire the building it's there for me without being a member..and if the religion housed in it would cease to be i'd have no problem with that, once the building remains as a historical thing...

as far as i know, the church pays for the maintenance of those beautiful buildings, so that might be one reason for supporting them. :dunno: i don't, but i have no problem if others do, as long as they don't try to convert me. :bleh: "the church" consists of different people... yes, there's the "boss" (i.e. pope) who has opinions you might not support, and yes, there are really bad things happening, like priests abusing children. but the priest you grew up with, whom you met or still meet every week when going to church, that's what you relate to, a lot more than to any things happening somewhere else in this organization. :dunno:

Edited by mellody

t4p! :flowers2: love the interview. :wub2:

tho i disagree with his opinion that being contradictory makes you interesting. it might be true in some ways, but not if you change your opinion every day - that just makes it difficult for everyone who relies on your word. but i guess mika knows it's not really a positive thing - he's just trying to make something negative sound better. :teehee: i wouldn't mind tho if this changing his opinion thing also applied to his comment "this is the last gig in (uk, germany,...) for a very long time". :naughty:

as far as i know, the church pays for the maintenance of those beautiful buildings, so that might be one reason for supporting them. :dunno: i don't, but i have no problem if others do, as long as they don't try to convert me. :bleh: "the church" consists of different people... yes, there's the "boss" (i.e. pope) who has opinions you might not support, and yes, there are really bad things happening, like priests abusing children. but the priest you grew up with, whom you met or still meet every week when going to church, that's what you relate to, a lot more than to any things happening somewhere else in this organization. :dunno:

Do you honestly think the pope has anything to say at all? The Vatican is one big corrupt organisation and the pope is just the puppet.

Do you honestly think the pope has anything to say at all? The Vatican is one big corrupt organisation and the pope is just the puppet.

whatever, then replace pope with vatican in my post. but what i want to say is that you are influenced more by what you have directly in front of you, in your own neighbourhood, than what happens in some faraway place. it's like the government, i'm definitely not happy with everything the german government does, but i don't move to another country because of it. i vote when i can (tho it doesn't make a big difference), and although church members can't do that, maybe they just hope that there will be a change in their "government" eventually. if the priest in their local church has a different view than the vatican, then this will be what they see in the first place. and i think that's the case rather often, that the local priests are a lot more open-minded and a lot less radical than their "government" is.

whatever, then replace pope with vatican in my post. but what i want to say is that you are influenced more by what you have directly in front of you, in your own neighbourhood, than what happens in some faraway place. it's like the government, i'm definitely not happy with everything the german government does, but i don't move to another country because of it. i vote when i can (tho it doesn't make a big difference), and although church members can't do that, maybe they just hope that there will be a change in their "government" eventually. if the priest in their local church has a different view than the vatican, then this will be what they see in the first place. and i think that's the case rather often, that the local priests are a lot more open-minded and a lot less radical than their "government" is.

They can think that, but one priest is not going to change religion. Nothing ever changed by just one person. And I think open-minded priests are still pretty much the large minority.

Can we be realistic? Mika was bullied in school because he was gay. He seems to have had issues within his own family about it. The church's stance has always been anti-gay. What are the chances Mika was surrounded by open minded priests growing up? Greg Wells' father was an open minded minister but some non Catholic denominations allow for this. Their whole system is open, allowing women and marriage in the clergy, etc.

Karin you talk about not moving away because you disagree with your government. But what if it was the 1939 German government in power now? How much would you tolerate? Systemic pedophilia? Ethnic cleansing by encouraging the spread of HIV? Preaching to 1 billion people that homosexuality is an aberration that will send you to hell? We're not talking about bad fiscal policy here or high unemployment, we're talking about crimes against humanity.

The more he talks about his reasons for clinging to Catholicism the less I can find any way to respect his position. How one can "ignore" (as he puts it) crimes against humanity because they love ceremony is beyond me. He tries to paint his contradictions as cute but it's really just irresponsible, not to mention selfish.
... or naive:teehee:

I can relate to what he means though. I think religion (including its rituals) can play a significant role in 'coping' and this must be the type of spirituality he feels when he enters a church... Even when I do (typically during sightseeing:teehee:) I also feel more spiritual somehow but it is more a type of universal respect to people who have visited that building in the last hundreds of years... etc. I also love concerts in churches. They elate me somehow. So when he talks about faith and the ceremony playing an important part in some people's life, I can relate to that, even though it doesn't have a role in mine. Basically, what he confuses is where this positive feeling is from: it surely comes from all the people assembling together to celebrate something positive and / or the acoustics of the building if it is with music, so it does not have much to do with the politics of the actual establishment that has 'organzied' it. :doh::roftl:

There's certainly a lot of honesty in Mika's answers even though I don't agree on the religion part , or what I call it the "supermarket religious practice ".
..probably cheaper than seeing a psychological consultant though :naughty:

@Ingie the women in that video seem to have been completely brainwashed. Such level of hatred is common in religious fanatics but I don't think it has much to do with religion itself. It must be pure insecurity and neurosis. A medical case, really.

PS I have just started to read the rest of the article and I am so pleased he is working with Curtis on the album. :boing:

Edited by suzie

... or naive:teehee:

I can relate to what he means though. I think religion (including its rituals) can play a significant role in 'coping' and this must be the type of spirituality he feels when he enters a church... Even when I do (typically during sightseeing:teehee:) I also feel more spiritual somehow but it is more a type of universal respect to people who have visited that building in the last hundreds of years... etc. I also love concerts in churches. They elate me somehow. So when he talks about faith and the ceremony playing an important part in some people's life, I can relate to that, even though it doesn't have a role in mine. Basically, what he confuses is where this positive feeling is from: it surely comes from all the people assembling together to celebrate something positive and / or the acoustics of the building if it is with music, so it does not have much to do with the politics of the actual establishment that has 'organzied' it. :doh::roftl:

I agree with you. I hadn't thought about him being a hypocrite while I was reading the interview just because he only mentions things that he "likes" about Catholicism. I'm an atheist and I have certain views on religion but I respect other people's beliefs as long as they don't want to convince me. Religion is obviously important to Mika because as he said himself, a big part of his life growing up was church. We can't ask him to toss it away because Catholic Church has bad reputation in some (very serious) ways. The journalist asked a question about religion and he replied honestly. He also said that he doesn't agree with the pope's views and everything that the Bible says but he has the right to have faith in some catholic values. He must be careful about the topics he's discussing in media, and children being victims of pedophilia is a really hard topic. I don't think he's completely ignorant about it. Primarily he's a singer and being a human rights activist might not be compatible with his career right now. Also, these kind of magazine interviews aren't the appropriate places to discuss such topics. But it's just my opinion.