MIKA for JBC - 2013

krysady

The thing is...I've heard so much griping about doing all these other things aside from music. But when I see these videos and he goes on to talk about his stuff, I just don't see how anyone can reduce his involvement to pure monetary gain. When I see him talking in this video, I see him drawing on a couple different things that make sense. Yes, he uses the word "fashion" but to me, what he's saying is making clothes. Designing clothes. Which was a HUGE part of his growing up. It only makes sense to me he'd want to try it artistically. Although we see and love Mika as a musician, I think that the truth is that Mika is an artist with a vision looking for outlets for it and that's a concept that is a lot less specific.

He already uses so many of these elements to enhance his musical work. Theatrics and art are a large part of the past shows. I don't think we've ever seen a behind the scenes video that hasn't involved very careful selection of what every person on stage wears. He already dabbles in so many other worlds than music. Why do we have to be so unwelcoming of him giving a tad more focus to other things that interest him? It's gotta be fear, really. But it's not like he's giving up music. I enjoy his branching out with some of these other things and I can't wait to see the clothes.

:thumb_yello: Well said - couldn't agree more! :blush-anim-cl:

Love,love

me

• Replies 378
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why do we have to be so unwelcoming of him giving a tad more focus to other things that interest him?

I am not Mika and his interests are not my interests. Is that really so difficult to understand?

If you enjoy Mika branching out that is wonderful for you. But I'm not sure what the point is in continually questioning why people who don't enjoy some of these side projects feel the way they do as if they are wrong. If Mika or anyone on MFC feels that selling clothes is a better use of Mika's time than making music you are free to feel that way. But you are never going to convince me it's a better use of my time to look at clothes, to talk about clothes and to buy clothes than it is to support Mika's music.

I am not Mika and his interests are not my interests. Is that really so difficult to understand?

If you enjoy Mika branching out that is wonderful for you. But I'm not sure what the point is in continually questioning why people who don't enjoy some of these side projects feel the way they do as if they are wrong. If Mika or anyone on MFC feels that selling clothes is a better use of Mika's time than making music you are free to feel that way. But you are never going to convince me it's a better use of my time to look at clothes, to talk about clothes and to buy clothes than it is to support Mika's music.

I fear that the curse of the impossible connection between internet and tone here is faulting this into being a tad more heated than it should.

I am merely speculating, not attacking anyone's opinions. Lord knows that although I was not vocally active in the X Factor debate, I agreed heavily with many points you and many others were saying. Let's not get those wires crossed. I still don't like the X Factor thing. I will continue not to.

I'm not sure I'm ok with people attacking Mika's artistry with some of his side projects. That is the point here. I don't want or need you to like anything you don't want to. Boycott all of his side things if you please. But judging him and his motivations purely because he's doing something not directly musical is where things get a little displeasing for me.

(Of course. X Factor is "musical" and well...:teehee:)

I'm just saying that we can give the man more credit than chocking up all his side projects into being purely money-makers for him.

I fear that the curse of the impossible connection between internet and tone here is faulting this into being a tad more heated than it should.

No it's okay, I didn't think your tone was argumentative or anything. :thumb_yello:

I'm just saying that we can give the man more credit than chocking up all his side projects into being purely money-makers for him.

Yes I agree they're not all about money making but there really isn't any other explanation for becoming a spokes model for sunglasses for example. So it's equally inaccurate to chock up all his side projects to a need to express himself creatively.

The other thing that puts me off is that so much of what he has been working on is exclusive and not inclusive. Even if I was excited about him working on a clothing line what is the point? I can't buy them.

This is just such a huge departure from what he was all about when he started his career and even from more recent projects like the Tofu dolls which were made for fans instead of being a commercial venture.

JBC is someone else's clothing store. X Factor is someone else's TV show. It's very hard to accept that Mika's creativity is still the driving force behind all these things he's involved with when all I see are corporate logos everywhere - from giraffes on his shirts to Swatch watches in his videos.

Yes I agree they're not all about money making but there really isn't any other explanation for becoming a spokes model for sunglasses for example. So it's equally inaccurate to chock up all his side projects to a need to express himself creatively.

The other thing that puts me off is that so much of what he has been working on is exclusive and not inclusive. Even if I was excited about him working on a clothing line what is the point? I can't buy them.

This is just such a huge departure from what he was all about when he started his career and even from more recent projects like the Tofu dolls which were made for fans instead of being a commercial venture.

JBC is someone else's clothing store. X Factor is someone else's TV show. It's very hard to accept that Mika's creativity is still the driving force behind all these things he's involved with when all I see are corporate logos everywhere - from giraffes on his shirts to Swatch watches in his videos.

Thinking about that inclusive/exclusive factor, it seems like he's a difficult artist to be all-inclusive with. The Mika fanbase is one of the first I've dabbled in that is just so expansive in terms of locale!

We could spend hours speculating on his business strategy. I'm certain his choice in distributors has a great deal to do with money. But perhaps I am still hopelessly naive in wishing to preserve his sincerity in his choices at the heart of it all. :blush-anim-cl: (Yes, even X-Factor could have its merits)

:huglove: Thank you very much Queeny :huglove:

Here is his presentation of his collection

[YOUTUBE]VDrN30Lnhvo[/YOUTUBE]

Illustration elements and lyrics! That sounds fascinating! Very much looking forward to seeing the collection:original:

The thing is...I've heard so much griping about doing all these other things aside from music. But when I see these videos and he goes on to talk about his stuff, I just don't see how anyone can reduce his involvement to pure monetary gain. When I see him talking in this video, I see him drawing on a couple different things that make sense. Yes, he uses the word "fashion" but to me, what he's saying is making clothes. Designing clothes. Which was a HUGE part of his growing up. It only makes sense to me he'd want to try it artistically. Although we see and love Mika as a musician, I think that the truth is that Mika is an artist with a vision looking for outlets for it and that's a concept that is a lot less specific.

He already uses so many of these elements to enhance his musical work. Theatrics and art are a large part of the past shows. I don't think we've ever seen a behind the scenes video that hasn't involved very careful selection of what every person on stage wears. He already dabbles in so many other worlds than music. Why do we have to be so unwelcoming of him giving a tad more focus to other things that interest him? It's gotta be fear, really. But it's not like he's giving up music. I enjoy his branching out with some of these other things and I can't wait to see the clothes.

Very well said, totally agree:thumb_yello:

He is a bad actor (in this case) :no:

agree with that - this is exactly what i feared when i first heard of the beer commercial. that one seems to be ok now, but in this video he doesn't sound/look sincere at all, but as if he's holding someone else's product in the camera, getting paid for saying "buy this, it's great!" :doh::aah: i thought the clothing line might be something he actually wanted to do, but this video makes me doubt it. :no:

Very much agree with your whole post but wanted to point out the bolded part. As his mother is a dressmaker it really was a HUGE part of his growing up. And as he comes from a very creative family he probably sees the whole concept of being an artist from a different perspective than most of us.

I'm very curious to see the collection :wub2: But I'm a bit confused... We are not able to buy any of these? It is a big clothing chain after all or did I misunderstand something? This collection will only be available as a very limited edition?

agree with that - this is exactly what i feared when i first heard of the beer commercial. that one seems to be ok now, but in this video he doesn't sound/look sincere at all, but as if he's holding someone else's product in the camera, getting paid for saying "buy this, it's great!" :doh::aah: i thought the clothing line might be something he actually wanted to do, but this video makes me doubt it. :no:

Not one of his most enthusiastic vids :teehee: I'm not too worried about it, he was probably jet lagged or something (when was it filmed?). I want to see the collection first, I loved the colors he is using in men's clothes, curious to see how the women's line looks like.

Edited by tiibet

But I'm a bit confused... We are not able to buy any of these? It is a big clothing chain after all or did I misunderstand something? This collection will only be available as a very limited edition?

From what I understand there is no online shop shipping internationally so it's just not something I could ever buy. People who shop at JBC will be able to buy it though obviously.

From what I understand there is no online shop shipping internationally so it's just not something I could ever buy. People who shop at JBC will be able to buy it though obviously.

I read the shipping conditions, they shipping only to Belgium and Luxembourg.

I'm going to see the show on Monday because a friend invited me :wub2: and the day after we going to JBC in Bruxelles to buy if there's something corresponding to our taste and our sizes. I'm little afraid because I have a normal size but on JBC website I only saw XS and S :doh: I hope they made M size.

Mika Facebook:

Calling all Belgian fans! We know you are all very excited about Mika's collaboration with JBC, thanks to all your lovely messages and comments. We know that you're like detectives and often know everything before it's announced, so as you may already know, Mika is launching his line for JBC in Brussels on Monday! The collection will be shown in a very special fashion show, Mika will be there… AND he'll do a very special performance afterwards! As we love you all so much, we have only gone and got 2 pairs of tickets to give away!! So, if you'd like to be there, all you have to do is email us with your name and age, the name and age of your guest and a contact number. You'll need to make your own way to and from the show - it will be at a location in central Brussels from approx 1900-2130. Please only enter if you can definitely attend! The competition opens NOW and closes tomorrow (Friday 3rd May) at 1400 London time. Good luck!

Hi, everybody, if anybody have a spare invit , i'm very interested to go to Brussel Monday...Tx

:blush-anim-cl:

i've try to win some invit by many way, but i think i've no chance in game...:doh:

OMG WE WONNNN!!! I'm so excited!!! And so surprised!!!!!! :clap::woot_jump::groupwave: Patricia wrote my name down in her email as guest, but I didn't even know that! lol I'm so surprised and happy!! :biggrin2:

:D i'm glad i could make you happy

ok ... so it's final :tears: won't be able to go,

i should just stop getting my hopes up... they only get smashed to the ground every time :tears:

I'm so sorry for you, Ilse :hug: Every possibility has been tried.

ok ... so it's final :tears: won't be able to go,

i should just stop getting my hopes up... they only get smashed to the ground every time :tears:

Same here :sad: we've tried everything we could :huglove: But at least we'll see him this summer :wink2: