NEW VIDEO! Popular Song ft. Ariana Grande

dcdeb

Disasappointed in what? It's not like the video is different with or without a countdown, but it's a way to get more people to watch it, publicity etc...

No, I meant too much hype create expectations. And even when it's the same video, if it doesn't meet the expectations... For once everyone seems to agree it's good :teehee:

Many fans didn't like the idea of Popular with Ariana Grande. Well I didn't. I hope it makes him more known in the US but the original with Priscilla is better and personally I prefer the gig version without any female voice... But the video makes this version so much more interesting and is much more than I expected. They did really well with it!

Disasappointed in what? It's not like the video is different with or without a countdown, but it's a way to get more people to watch it, publicity etc...

tbh, i don't really get anyway what's the point in releasing a video 4 months after the release of the single. :aah: not that i'm complaining, i like the video and i love how it supports the story of the song. as a fan, i'm perfectly happy about it. just from a marketing point of view, i don't get why they filmed & released it. i'd be surprised if it helped the song (and therefore mika & ariana) now, such a long time after its release. but whatever, i've given up trying to understand mika's (and especially his record company's) marketing decisions a long time ago. :teehee: and who knows, maybe it does work in the US, independantly from the release date of the song? :dunno:

it's such an obvious product placement, lol! :lmfao: you can see it on the car key he presses. :teehee: but it reminds me so much of knight rider, which was my fave tv-series for years when i was about 10-14, and i love that so much that i don't even mind the product placement. :naughty: tho i agree, the car doesn't really fit. but mini probably paid for the whole video, being featured that prominently. :naughty: i don't like the car, if you sit in it it feels like you're sitting on the street. :aah: but it's a german brand, even from munich, belongs to bmw. maybe that's why i don't mind mika advertising it. :lmfao:

Absolutely love it.

It's a Mini Cooper:thumb_yello:

I see that now -- I know a Mini Cooper when I see it on the road, but I guess the angle of this shot is what threw me. I like them well enough. After a few more viewings, I find it's still a very weird break in an otherwise great video, but as I said earlier, it's easy to overlook. :original:

Many fans didn't like the idea of Popular with Ariana Grande. Well I didn't. I hope it makes him more known in the US but the original with Priscilla is better and personally I prefer the gig version without any female voice... But the video makes this version so much more interesting and is much more than I expected. They did really well with it!

I'm with you -- I prefer the version that's straight Mika (well, you know what I mean! :naughty: ) even over the Priscilla version. But this version featuring Ariana Grande is perfect for radio here. In fact, I've been hearing her all over the radio lately since her album dropped a few weeks ago. Her single "The Way" is getting a lot of airplay. I hope that bodes well for Mika -- maybe he can ride her coattails to get some play for "Popular". :crossed:

I absolutely totally love this clip! It's one of the best Mika clips, if not the best.

I still prefer the version with Priscillia, who sounded more appropriate for a rap song and who added a cheeky note to the song,but Ariana's not bad at all.

The clip might be released way after the song was released in the USA but it seems to be the next song in France as I heard it on a French radio while shopping 2 weeks ago.

The end of the clip was rather unexpected :thumb_yello:. I thought the 2 of them would stay alive. My daughter will love this video clip :wink2:

Otherwise, poor Mika whose face was plunged into the toilet bowl :aah:

i loooooooooooooooooooove it! i'm a bit of goth at heart so i loved the styling :mikalove: Mika looks amazing and i love his expressions xD The car bit seemed a bit Bondish to me? Thankfully it was short :aah: The new version w Ariana makes more sense to me now. I wonder what her fans think of it?

Had a bit too much Ariana in it for my taste tho :teehee:

I've just watched it for the second time and love the special effects (they are far better than in 'Underwater'. By the way, Mika is a better actor in this clip than he was in 'Underwater' too. He gave me the creeps with his revengeful and menacing looks).

There are Tim Burton's characteristics but also something that made me think of the Adams family, don't you think?

Let me breathe.... :teehee:

The video is amazing. Completely different from what he's done before although we can still find some old Mika - like the outfits. The burton-esque atmosphere and the b&w - ish effects make it unique and help the story line. Ariana is so beautiful (but soooo young, I though she was barely 16 :shocked: when I first saw her) and they look like sister & brother, don't you think? I think Mika REALLY TRULY enjoys playing the bad guy and it's kind of scary how good he is at being a "double-faced" hypocrit (makes you wonder if he could be like that in real life) :shocked: And can I just highlight the fact that he is A F***ING GREAT actor? I mean, seriously, I know he said he never wanted to do cinema, but he's really, really good and has so many mimics and such an expressive face he'd be a great actor :wub2:

Now on the down side, I hate the product placement. I mean Sony, Swatch and Mini Cooper in one video? :doh: What I used to love about his videos and what made him different from other artists was the fact that he never did product placement and his videos had that "home-made" feel. Yes, he needed sponsoring for that one, obviously, but still, I just hate advertising when I come to listen to some good music. It kind of feels like we're taken for brainless consumerists. Ah well, guess it's the way the industry works nowadays.

And.... let me just add:

image.png

That being said, I really loved the video, Mika's perfect as always and let's hope it makes some noise in the US.

Edited by Elaire14

After the first play I needed to watch it again.

WHERE´S WEDNESDAY?!?!?! :shocked:

Apart from those Beverly Hills 90210-ish look (you know...guys in his 30´s playing the teenagers at school...):mf_rosetinted:

The vid is ok, but yes... those ads... :doh:

Mika plays the creepy b*tch perfectly well (guess it suits his real inner bastard-ish personality LOL) and well... I dunno... not my fav of all his vids, but I think it´s ok-ish and it will appeal to the teenagers in US (maybe) which is what it´s meant to be, right? Hence Ariana is in the vid... right?

OMG I'm speechless!

Its the best video EVER!!!!

I love the part where the car talks to him and says his name (making sure video-watchers know who he is)

The bit at the end where she kills him, I love that... and I'll say something else too...

THE MAN CAN PULL IT OFF. HE IS AN AMAZING ACTOR!!!!!

He looks so very 'Twilight', and he's going to get a lot of fans from this vid!This vid is so much better than the others he's done (apart from Happy Ending) It's one that will really make people notice Mika and not make fun of him like they usually do. It's made my day.

I agree with you! He is an amazing actor :thumb_yello: I love his evil look, his psycho face :teehee:

what a lovely surprise on a rainy morning!!:thumb_yello:

I freakin LOVE it and let out a little squee at the end :naughty:

I don't even mind the product placement...who doesn't want a talking car?!:aah:

love the atmosphere and little details (like the name ichabod on the phone :aah:) and OMG those glowering looks of Mika's...:shocked::swoon:

:fangurl:

I also don't know why this took so long to be released, would've been nice to go with the promos for the NA tour (though totally different vibe from the tour..maybe that's why?) anyways hope it blows up!:wub2:

about his acting, i like it, but i think it's a difference whether you play a role that you created yourself, one you can 100% identify with (and i'm pretty sure this whole thing was his idea... :naughty:), or whether you play in a movie that someone else created and wrote the screenplay for. so i still don't think he'd make a good movie actor, just because i like his acting in his own videos. :wink2:

I watched the video, without sound, as i'm not a fan of any version of popular :teehee: it's the one song i skip on the album everytime :naughty:but it's ok for teeny boppers i guess :aah:

But i do like Mika in it :naughty:

Edited by buttonslovesu

about his acting, i like it, but i think it's a difference whether you play a role that you created yourself, one you can 100% identify with (and i'm pretty sure this whole thing was his idea... :naughty:), or whether you play in a movie that someone else created and wrote the screenplay for. so i still don't think he'd make a good movie actor, just because i like his acting in his own videos. :wink2:

Clearly, the solution is that he needs to make a full length movie version of this video! :fisch::das:

I agree with you! He is an amazing actor :thumb_yello: I love his evil look, his psycho face :teehee:

I think peeps should tweet this vid to Tim Burton, with the suggestion that he should offer Mika a part in one of his movies. The vid is very Burton-esque and Mika is way better looking than Johnny Depp.

About the product placement. It doesn't bother me, in fact I didn't get it until everyone said about it. But I don't think it interrupts the vid in any bad way. I think the part where he announces that they are having the dinner party, sets the dinner scene up really well, and as I said before, I love how the car says his name.

Also, the vid would have cost money and the advertising is a way of getting some.

I've always been in favour of Arianna, because she is really famous and her fans will watch the vid. I actually prefer the version with her, because I'm old fashioned, I don't think there needs to be bad language in a song. I don't protest if there is, but I don't think there needs to be. This version is more radio-friendly than the one with Pricilla and Arianna has a lovely voice and is great in the video.