NEW VIDEO! Popular Song ft. Ariana Grande

dcdeb

:lmfao::lmfao: I'm like Eloise, I can't stop laughing about this vid, or more particularly Mika's acting and faces, but in a good way! Fantastic! I agree (with whom? lol) that maybe when you don't expect anything you can only be pleasantly surprised. I know I expected too much from the Underwater video.

@macboll Really you heard Popular on a French radio? May I ask you which one?

What a lovely start to my day.

I haven't read through the thread yet so I don't know what we're talking about but here's my initial thoughts.

I both like it and see it's flaws. I'm probably a bit negatively biased here at the start because I absolutely despise this version of the song. Particularly the opening. It just sounds like Disney threw up all over Mika and hashed out the most generic thing that I could find with any one of their musical acts.

But as for the video, I like the concept itself. Seeing the kids at the end and that little "twist" was adorable. The car was absolutely bizarre and visually stood out way too much with the rest of it.

But still, the story concept behind it was great. I just feel irked about the shot design. As beautiful as he is in this video, there was just a little too much "Let me stare at the camera sexily with my head to the perfect angle" from the both of them when I wanted to see something a little more dynamic happening. I wanted to see more of the bullying stuff taking place. More of them scoping out their victims rather than staring at me in the middle of those things. I guess I just wanted to see them physically do more that stare at me and sing. The potion stirring was fine. It fit. But it was the other stuff that go to be too much for me.

The best moments are like when he comes up from the toilet. Or when he's interacting with the bullies in the classroom. They all have great comedic story-enhancing elements. I get nothing out of that Mika closeup (other than him being gorgeous) or Ariana singing out of the car window.

This certainly feels like one of the most stylized videos he's made in terms of look and feel. I'd say even more than Underwater, it just has a processed feel to it when I look at it.

(The lesson here is don't let the film student blabber on about videos omg this is so long. :aah: )

IT´S BEATIFULL THE VIDEO . I ADORE THE SCENE OF THE LAST DINNER..

I THINK BECAME TO BE A EXIT.

ADORABLE PICS STYLE TIM BURTON.

AND MAGNIGFICANT HISTORY TO SEE AND REMENBER IT..

bRAVO MIKA..:fisch: A VERY GOOD SINGER ARIANA TOO...A GOOD PICTURES TOGETHER.

Edited by mer

Clearly, the solution is that he needs to make a full length movie version of this video! :fisch::das:

+1 :das: I think that'd be money well spent on a cinema ticket for that one. Anybody intersted in suggesting the idea to the man himself and then when he admits it's BRILLIANT, let him take all the credit for it? :fisch:

I think peeps should tweet this vid to Tim Burton, with the suggestion that he should offer Mika a part in one of his movies. The vid is very Burton-esque and Mika is way better looking than Johnny Depp.

About the product placement. It doesn't bother me, in fact I didn't get it until everyone said about it. But I don't think it interrupts the vid in any bad way. I think the part where he announces that they are having the dinner party, sets the dinner scene up really well, and as I said before, I love how the car says his name.

Also, the vid would have cost money and the advertising is a way of getting some.

I've always been in favour of Arianna, because she is really famous and her fans will watch the vid. I actually prefer the version with her, because I'm old fashioned, I don't think there needs to be bad language in a song. I don't protest if there is, but I don't think there needs to be. This version is more radio-friendly than the one with Pricilla and Arianna has a lovely voice and is great in the video.

I think Mika would go along with Burton very well since they both created their own "worlds" be it musically or cinematographically speaking. And Mika's not only lollipops and sugar we all know it. i would definitely like to see them both in a movie, and Johnny Depp it's not bad looking, I mean really. Throw in Russell Brand (since Mika and him already know each other) and we get the best bizzare comedy/horror in the history of cinema :naughty:

SO SO HAPPY with this new MIKA video - his best ever!!!:thumb_yello:

The story and message is very clear, and he's devilish good in this role :aah:

This takes him to a new level - and yes, they look like siblings, really :thumb_yello:

Well done golden actor MIKA!!! :wub2:

Love,love

me

this is my favorite Mika video.

Yes i prefer Priscilla singing it, but it's still very entertaining.

You can definitely tell this video had a proper budget compared to other Mika videos.

He has a mischievous face throughout the video :naughty:

I find Ariana & Mika look alike :teehee:

+1 :das: I think that'd be money well spent on a cinema ticket for that one. Anybody intersted in suggesting the idea to the man himself and then when he admits it's BRILLIANT, let him take all the credit for it? :fisch:

I think Mika would go along with Burton very well since they both created their own "worlds" be it musically or cinematographically speaking. And Mika's not only lollipops and sugar we all know it. i would definitely like to see them both in a movie, and Johnny Depp it's not bad looking, I mean really. Throw in Russell Brand (since Mika and him already know each other) and we get the best bizzare comedy/horror in the history of cinema :naughty:

So . . . VOTE MIKA 'BEST ACTOR' here :

http://faxo.com/home/people/twitter/actor/

Go on, do it now! GET HIS ASS TO #1.

I ******* LOVE IT TO DEATH !!!!!! :excite::excite::excite:

Omg omg!!! I can't stop watching it!! It's the best mika's video ever! (I think. Wait, yeah)

He's amaziiiiiinnngg!! look at his face at 0:28, 1:11, 1:40 - omg awesome:aah:

He's a great actor!!! his eyes look green you know? :teehee:

And Ariana is really cute I love her!!! It fits her! :blush-anim-cl:

love love love love it!!!!!!!! :woot_jump:

I think it's gonna be a huge success :thumb_yello:

Edited by lollipop161

Although the video is cool, this version of the song sounds ridiculously autotuned and yucky. I'm sure I could sing as well as Ariana Grande if my voice was disguised by that much autotune.:aah: It stops me from enjoying the visual effects.

I say that's the best video up to date by Mika. I mean his acting isn't THAT bad and Ariana works so well with the context, I'm totally totally hooked to it. I absolutely love Tim Burton and I agree with the majority: it is TIM BURTONISH. Love it, Love it, Love it. In my opinion though, the first versio is the best for me but I started to like this one.

Although the video is cool, this version of the song sounds ridiculously autotuned and yucky. I'm sure I could sing as well as Ariana Grande if my voice was disguised by that much autotune.:aah: It stops me from enjoying the visual effects.

No...wait...there's the first criticism...:fisch:

Nothing against you ellen, we were just saying that everyone agreed till now...:lmao:

I must say that I really, really, really love the video! :teehee: I had a smile on my face the whole way true. And I loved the twist at the end. My first thought was that he did it accidentally, but apperently it wasn't. :teehee:

I think this is my personal favorite from all his vids. :naughty: It totally made my day, seeing this.

What a lovely start to my day.

I haven't read through the thread yet so I don't know what we're talking about but here's my initial thoughts.

I both like it and see it's flaws. I'm probably a bit negatively biased here at the start because I absolutely despise this version of the song. Particularly the opening. It just sounds like Disney threw up all over Mika and hashed out the most generic thing that I could find with any one of their musical acts.

But as for the video, I like the concept itself. Seeing the kids at the end and that little "twist" was adorable. The car was absolutely bizarre and visually stood out way too much with the rest of it.

But still, the story concept behind it was great. I just feel irked about the shot design. As beautiful as he is in this video, there was just a little too much "Let me stare at the camera sexily with my head to the perfect angle" from the both of them when I wanted to see something a little more dynamic happening. I wanted to see more of the bullying stuff taking place. More of them scoping out their victims rather than staring at me in the middle of those things. I guess I just wanted to see them physically do more that stare at me and sing. The potion stirring was fine. It fit. But it was the other stuff that go to be too much for me.

The best moments are like when he comes up from the toilet. Or when he's interacting with the bullies in the classroom. They all have great comedic story-enhancing elements. I get nothing out of that Mika closeup (other than him being gorgeous) or Ariana singing out of the car window.

This certainly feels like one of the most stylized videos he's made in terms of look and feel. I'd say even more than Underwater, it just has a processed feel to it when I look at it.

(The lesson here is don't let the film student blabber on about videos omg this is so long. :aah: )

Did mine not count? :aah: I can't even tell if I was being critical or analytical.

Nah i dont think yours count...:naughty:

As you say i took it more analytical than critical...:naughty:

I'm watching it again. I just love how funny it gets. Their expressions are great and it's all just very relateable.

Also the guy taking Mika into the bathroom stall is just too hilarious because Mika's so tall. :aah:

http://www.arjanwrites.com/arjanwrites/2013/04/review-mika-popular-song-ariana-grande-video.html

Review: Mika 'Popular Song' featuring Ariana Grande [Video Premiere]

Nerds, freaks and geeks team up in the video for Mika's fantastic new video for "Popular Song" to serve up a delicious brew of sweet revenge. After being harassed and bullied by schoolmates, Mika and Ariana Grande decide to organize a dinner party with an appropriately diabolical plan to turn the tables on the most popular kids of their class. The video's vivid storyline plays directly into the song's message about standing up against bullying and feeling empowered to make a change.

"Popular Song" is partly based on "Popular" from the musical Wicked that Mika skillfully incorporated into his own version. In a making-of series on YouTube, Mika explains that the song's original composer Stephen Schwartz came to his studio one day and listened to his second album. "Even though we never wrote together, I sent him an email after meeting to ask if I could play with ['Popular'] a little to change up its meaning," he explains. "I respect him as a songwriter and wanted to make sure he was okay with it."

Mika teamed with co-writer Priscillia Renea to create a song based on Schwartz's original that is inspired by his own story and his experience in school. "It's the only song on ['The Origin Of Love'] that deals with my childhood," he explains. Teenage superstar Ariana Grande cut new vocals for the single version of "Popular Song" late last year.

The song's lyrics describe in not-so subtle terms what it was like for Mika to turn from a misfit into the most popular kid of the class - so to say. "I never was a scholar/You were always popular/You were singing all the songs I don’t know/Now you’re in the front row/Cause my song is popular." It's an important message about the profound effects of bullying that now comes with a playful yet meaningful new video that raises awareness about this issue we should all deeply care about.

No...wait...there's the first criticism...:fisch:

Nothing against you ellen, we were just saying that everyone agreed till now...:lmao:

Wow! Didn't realise that. And technically I was criticising the song arrangement not the actual video!:wink2: